Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's a cool build. Probably the best of all possible wooden squat racks. I don't know that I'd trust a wooden rack with all that much weight, but due to ankle injuries my days of squatting anything over 200 are probably in my past.

Then again my days of building anything are not in my past, present, or future. If you have tools and are good at things this is a cool build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah theres pretty much no part of my body that doesn't make some weird sound at this point.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man I'd say he's a full Thor at this point.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anybody doing any kind of routines with bands? I'm not much of a lifter anymore, and it's gotten worse with Covid. I was doing calisthenics and yoga and running and I've done an OK job keeping my fitness (what little there is) going. I've got some of those big loving loop bands. I did some squats and good mornings with the green one, and ohp and rows with the black one today. Not much, but my body has that "I lifted today" feeling.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This guy?

https://youtu.be/t4d1wKnuyoY

I'd never heard of him before but it looks like good stuff.

So he died recently then? This video is pretty recent. Covid?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh lol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just did the band workout I linked earlier. Feels good man.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Legs sore as hell from that band workout. Bulgarian split squats are no joke.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm a resistance band convert, at least for the next 8 weeks. I think some sort of Bulgarian Split Squat will replace regular squats for me forever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jeff Nippard did a video on this. You can lose pretty much all your gains in 2 months of bed rest. But you can get them all back with 2 months of training right afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vHR2mAw2U

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 20, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can also maintain your gains by just doing 1/9 of what you were doing before, so there's really no reason to risk losing them.

100% agree. I know a lot of stuff is out of stock but between sandbags, bands, bodyweight, DIY concrete plates, etc, there's plenty of ways to do some training at home.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Deadlifting went okay but my squat and bench are actual trash right now which is kinda weird because deadlift is the only thing I really didn't have some kind of bodyweight analogue for...

Which did you test first?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I switched to bands when I got tired of my kettlebells. I got tired of bands and lo and behold my kettlebells felt great today. Maybe I'll just rotate between them until the gym opens again. I'm really curious what my dead lift looks like now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

doverhog posted:

What did you do with the KBs and what weights were you using? Just curious.

Bulgarian split squat and single leg rdl, both with the 20kg. Press, also 20kg but that's too much for my left arm. Didn't feel like getting my 16kg from the other room so I just did a few triples. Actually not sure what to do with this sort of thing because my right arm is much stronger. My left shoulder is just kind of hosed up and makes a bunch of noise. I assume I messed something up in judo or bjj.

Then I did some other bodyweight stuff to get the rest of my body addressed.

I know I should do swings, it's the foundational kettlebell exercise but I didn't want to so I did those things instead.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 30, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

doverhog posted:

Yeah, well for KB I'd recommend trying 2 handed swings and goblet squats again, once you feel up to it.

Do like 100 each, swings and squats. See how you feel.

I've done 100 swing workouts. I've never done 100 goblet squat workouts. I imagine my glutes would... feel it after that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Which fitness youtubers aren't terrible?

I watched a video about it after it got brought up in this thread, and yeah some of those lifts do look fake but I have no idea.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'd been watching Nippard, Thrall, and Isuf. I also sometimes would watch Alan Roberts and Shredded Sports Science. And I have to admit I have a soft spot for Alpha Destiny cause he's the only guy with like 40 videos on neck training. I also would sometimes watch Athlean X and didn't find his content that bad compared to some other lunatics on YouTube. Just wanted to kind of make sure I'm not filling my head with idiocy.

I'd never watched Doucette or Israetel. I'm watching Doucette's video on Stephanie Buttermore right now. He's like a jacked Gilbert Gottfried.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

What are ya'll lifting today

I'm gonna clean and press a 100lb sandbag as many times as I can in 20 minutes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you can do 275 for 5, you're past 315 for a single. It's a mental block. Under not plague times I'd say sign up for a meet. My lifetime best DL (425 lbs, like 20 years ago) was at a meet. Best I'd done in the gym before that was 385 I think.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm gonna clean and press a 100lb sandbag as many times as I can in 20 minutes.

I got 39 reps with this. I also did 20 minutes of bearhug squats with the same weight and got 45 reps. I'm really enjoying sandbag training compared to the other stuff I've played with during quarentine (calisthenics, bands, kettlebells). Can't weight to go back to jiu jitstu and start doing real deadlifts again. Of everything I've done the sandbag training feels like it will have the most carryover to barbell deadlifts but until I can start doing them again that's just a theory in my head. I was thinking about an August return to the mats but cases are spiking in my area again so maybe not.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

...who cares that someone is stronger? Like what are you lifting for? If the answer is "to compete in powerlifting, oly lifting, or strongman" then yeah, that sucks. Work harder and get on some roids.

If the answer is "to be good at recreational sports" then get to double body weight on squat and deadlift. If you can do that and you're still failing at whatever sport, the problem almost certainly isn't your strength.

If the answer is "look better/get sexual attention" then the numbers matter even less, don't they?

There's always someone stronger and it doesn't matter unless you compete in strength sports.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

RamboMoe posted:

No reason to dope, just compete in a tested federation

Yeah or that I guess.

I lift for a general mix of performing better at jiu jitsu, looking better, and relieving pent up aggression and stress. My numbers matter to me but not that much. I'd prefer them to be higher but seeing someone lift 500lbs or whatever isn't demotivating to me in the slightest way.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

What's a good piece of equipment for doing OHP where the hand placement is perpendicular to the bar (like when you use a trap bar)? Would that just be one of those logs they use in strongman competitions?

swiss bar maybe? I've never used one but seen some on youtube.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Decided to try Turkish get ups with my 100 lb bag. I'd been using my 50lb bag (I have those two bags only).

It's a very different feeling. I guess that shouldn't be surprising since it's double the weight. I didn't do very many but I really feel wiped out from the work out (in a good way).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

doverhog posted:

Someone in the thread asked before if a blacksmith could make you plates. The answer is yes, any kind of metalworker can make plates. Ask for a quote on price.

Most of my kettlebells come direct from a local foundry.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dan John seems fairly wholesome. He gets BLM in a way most 60 year old white dudes can't. I've read a few of his books.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

I've been getting back into kettlebell swings lately, it's pretty crazy how torched you can get in 30 minutes with a 70 pounder or 88 pounder.

Do you other former fatties have people constantly commenting on your calves?

Looking to buy those bigger bells when places locally have stock again. I'm doing the 10k swing challenge and I'm getting smoked with much lighter bells.

Still a fatty, but never got the mythical big dude calf growth unfortunately.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've never had a pre workout. I've had a cup of coffee before working out, but I've never had one of those products.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Chaos and Pain... Was that the blog where you'd be reading some training article then boom right in the middle of the article, full screen vagina pic?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

We need golden calves gang tags

The greatest compliment I get is when that regular finally starts doing swings and getups.

I've been doing a lot of swings but get ups terrify me. I assume you're doing (or did) either S+S or the old ETK Program Minimum? Did you have any mental blocks with the get ups?

I've been planning to do Rite of Passage after I'm finished with the program I'm on now, because I don't want to do get ups. But I dunno, maybe I should take things in order.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

All the kettlebell places are out of stock until mid August, which is when I finish the 10k challenge. Planning to get the 28, 32, and 36 kg bells, and replace some of the lighter ones I have that are lower quality.

I'll keep you updated. Or do a log in ylls. Or both.

Strangely nobody in this country offers any size between 36 and 48. But 36 should be more than enough to keep me busy until quarantine is over and I can deadlift again.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 1, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I legit want to buy the creatine shirt even though I don't take creatine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

you should take creatine

I will when it's time to bulk. I've still got like 40 lbs of fat to lose before I can approach being called 'in shape.'

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

Taking creatine on a cut makes even more sense, since you get less natural creatine from your food (meats).

I do low carb so I still get a ton of meat. But, maybe I'll buy creatine. Would y'all still but creatine if it cost 2x the price?.my price in this country will be about 2x US prices.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ok, you've all convinced me. I'll buy the creatine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My new kettlebells came in and wow 32kg is comically large. I can see myself swinging that someday, but I think it's going to be a looooong time before I do a get up with it. I did one with 20kg yesterday but I'm going to stick to 16 for a while until I feel more confident in the movement.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

32kg is the best size; you won’t regret it once you get there. I pushed my deadlift from 320 to 450, only using a 28kg doing simple and sinister for nine months straight.

One thing I’ve noticed with kettlebell training vs. barbell/dumbbell is that I feel strong as hell after kettlebell training instead of wiped out. Once my elbow is back to 100% I plan to swap back to mostly kettlebells with barbell training every other day or so. It just works better for my body.

Have you read any of Pavel's books on Barbell training? He has a few. He emphasizes the idea of feeling stronger after training rather than wiped out. When I was in BJJ before Covid I had made it a habit of doing his basic barbell program, Power to the People, before class. It felt good. If you're already DLing 450 you're probably too strong to get much out of PTTP (or maybe not) but he's got a few other books on barbell training I haven't read yet.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Can creatine expire? I found an old tub that says 5/2020 for expiration but I can still use it I assume. What does 5g come out to in teaspoons? I don't have a drug scale anymore.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

You can safely use a food scale to measure creatine, it's not caffeine powder

(do not buy caffeine powder)

My food scale is nowhere near precise enough for 5g difference. It's old enough that it says "made in West germany" on it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK guys, I did it, I took the creatine. When does the roid rage kick in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thanks for at least mentioning what the video is.

In a BJJ chat I'm in someone sent around a video of a russian kid getting his neck audibly broken when he tried a flying armbar. But didn't say what the video was so I watched it. Yuck.