Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey guys i managed to gently caress up my wrist while the thread was gone. guess straight barbell curls caught up to me. it feels better already though, i guess in another week or two i'll just start back with dumbell hammer curls instead

my knee has been acting okay though at least

e: also rogue fitness bands smell like loving poo poo

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Nostratic posted:

You are younger than me, and 10 times more injured

how old are you? I'm 31 but I think I have said that in here before. mine is just a lot of naggling little things because I work so much(And a trash diet but I'm slowly improving). My knee is actually good enough I've been able to squat the past several weeks no problem, hoping it stays that way since I'm building my strength back up in my knees. My back wound up just being a pulled muscle confirmed by a dr visit. And the wrist thing immediately feels better already. I figure it'll be like this from now on although hopefully less frequent as I eat and hopefully sleep better.

e:Also my wrist is the only thing that actually originated from in the gym

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 30, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

LordArgh posted:

one day i hope to read a post by drunk driver dad itt that is not about how some part of him is broken, inshallah

hopefully from now on it will only be PR's being broken. My strength gains seemed to have stopped in bench press since I cut out some calories. I may be losing weight too fast, I think I've gone from 204 to 193 in the last 3 weeksish? maybe 4

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I ordered some preworkout with that dmaa poo poo. I hope it's good.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

proof of concept posted:

what's it called? where can I get some?

I got this https://www.a1supplements.com/aps-nutrition-mesomorph

E: removed the link to the other stuff. Maybe it's against the rules since it's technically a pure form of a drug? Hell I don't know. If you google it it's not hard to find.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 2, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i'm going to ask my doctor about getting my T checked when I go Tuesday I think. I figure it's probably okay but who knows thats what lab work is for anyway. from what cursory research I did suboxone isn't supposed to be that bad about affecting testosterone

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Drop sets may be better for hypertrophy(or not I'm not a loving scientist) but the two are still obviously linked. It's probably not possible to grow bigger muscles and not get at least a little stronger.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Chinatown posted:

my right wrist hurts something fierce when i have it palm up. cant put weight on it when palm up. every other position is fine. resorting to hammer and cable curls.

Is it the outside/ulnar portion? I don't really have help but thats where mine hurt when i hurt it from doing too many straight curls. Like it would feel fine in a neutral position and as I supinated it it was a sort of sharp pain on the outside. I didn't curl for a couple of weeks and now it feels better but I'm sticking to hammer curls myself atm.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Whatever the weight was, you can tell it was absolutely his 1rm from how he was shaking. He probably just had a quick spike up, then down in blood pressure causing that. Anytime I go hard on deadlifts I get lightheaded, but I always crouch down to ride it out to avoid exactly that, although I still haven't ever passed out myself.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

GORDON posted:

I saw a movie once where a guy had to do a lot of Crank to keep his heart racing or he'd die. I forget the name of it.

So that may be good for lifting.

hey guys i saw a movie where a guy got really sick of all these Star Wars , gently caress can't remember the name of it

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
zzulu i just want to let you know i think you have good taste in metal

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
it's a monster at heart though

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh man I love DT, but haven't bothered to keep up in the last few years. Did they get bad?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
drat, Insanity's Crescendo is the first song I ever heard by them, in fact it's one of the first songs that got me into metal. I'm just gonna leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHRjHfe75y4

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tolkien minority posted:

Is it possible to do deadlifts without making noise when you put the weights down? I switched to a smaller gym on campus and it's over some classrooms so they're technically allowed but they're super strict. i guess technically i could lower weight and be super careful but that seems like kinda a waste

I work out in a small gym that's a floor over some offices. I'm usually there at night so it doesn't matter, but they don't have platforms and I'm worried letting them down too fast might gently caress the floor up or something. There's an actual good gym not too far away but it's in the opposite direction of my drive home from work. I'll probably just bite the bullet and sign up monday.

e: I've practiced a lot and I'm still not good at gently setting down a deadlift anywhere near my 5 rep max. I can do it, and even if I make my back stay straight it feels like there's still a lot of pressure on my knees that isn't there when I do the concentric.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is it possible to eat healthy entirely out of a crockpot and other things that don't really require cooking? The oven is a piece of poo poo in my apartment that can't even cook a frozen pizza correctly. I have a foreman grill but that thing seems like a pos too although I may just not know how to use it right.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My diet still sucks but ever since I started trying to improve it and I eat some veggies on the regular now I think I'm already seeing an improvement. When I just started cutting out soda and beer but still was eating bullshit, I noticed my strength stopped going up on bench. I'm still on a cut, just with better food and being more vigilant about protein and last night I crushed 145lb for 5x5 on the BP. A couple of weeks ago I was struggling to do 5 reps of that for even 1 set. In fact 5x5 of anything felt too hard. Also all my random little injuries aren't as bothersome. Maybe I'm just imagining it, I don't know but if I keep getting good workouts I don't care if it's placebo or not.

E: Also what do you use to do cable hammer curls with? Can you just use the rope? My wrist has been feeling a little better after straight bars hosed it up and I'd like to ease back into curls sometime soon.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
good neck recruitment is actually the key to a powerful bench

although it really doesn't need to be mentioned. if anything all the posters in the thread are probably overtraining their neck muscles in the locker room

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Eldred posted:

You think? You shouldn't be driving your head into the bench during a press, it's your back and core that should be stabilizing the arch. I'm open to counterarguments but have never heard anyone say this before.

ever since i've incorporated strong neck drive in the bench, it's went up by like 25 lbs

e: I don't want to be responsible for someone hurting themselves, it's a joke.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

Confuse the body by working the oilpatch slinging chains over tires in the evil Alberta mud.

hrm i haven't heard this but I"m intrigued. how should i start? also I don't want to leave alabama and i don't have any chains

by the way I tried the cable curls with the rope and my wrist felt great. The only issue is it kind of felt like I wasn't getting as good a range of motion as with a bar, even though I went arms straight to fully flexed, it was weird.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
damnit, i have another injury to report. I was deadlifting last night and my lovely little gym has no platforms, and it's an upper floor so I can't let them down as fast people usually do when they go heavy. I noticed a couple of reps felt weird when I put them down, nothing painful or anything. Then I woke up this morning and my SI felt trashed. stiff and painful with a bit of nerve pain but that part is pretty minor. how do you recover from this poo poo? I'm hoping it's like a muscle strain and some rest and stretching and ill be back to good in a few days. It already feels better than it did this morning. I'm going to join a real gym in a month or two even though its a little out of the way.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what if it doesn't hurt at all in a few days? I mean I strained a low back muscle real bad a while back, that poo poo hurt a lot worse than this and I had to go to the doctor and everything, but it was fine after a week or two. I'm just saying, I hope it's not going to take 3 months but if it's still hurting I'm not going to try and lift through it or anything. In fact if it's still hurting in a few days I'll probably go to the doctor. In fact when I went for the back deal he said if I had any issues down the line he'd recommend me to a sports physio so I guess I'll take advantage of that, I'm sure they could give me a ton of good info on how to manage lifting with this retarded job. The only time I ever got injured before was if I did something stupid while drinking in the front yard

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, I know, that's how that back sprain was. 3 months just seemed excessive for what feels like a minor injury. I'll give it some breathing room even after it feels better before I try anything light.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
a strong spine is helpful against bullies like tiny lowtax

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My back/SI deal feels completely back to normal today. Hopefully that means I just pissed off some muscles in the area and they decided to tighten up on me. That's what happened with my back. Either way I'll just do upper body for a bit.

I can't wait to join a real gym, there's actually a pretty decent one not too far away. I can finally do the drop the mic equivalent with deadlift pr's again

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My back is still feeling better but I didn't squat today. I did do pendlay rows though but it was only 100 lbs and everything felt alright. also hit 150 on bench for a 5x5 which is technically a volume pr for me. yes that's lbs. arms weak. so what.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Good :)

Also, just wondering, are you ensuring that your stomach is suitably braced before commencing the lift, and do you do any separate core work (planks, ab whee, etc)?

In a perfect world yes, I think I know all the right things to do. I brace with a big breath like I'm about to dump a huge poo poo, etc. I had no problems taking my squat from 115-225 for reps and deadlift from 180-300 a couple years ago when I worked normal hours. But now that I work a ton, and I lift after sometimes I'm really tired and I have to be really vigilant I don't gently caress up. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I messed up putting the deadlift down. I think what happened is on one rep, I started lowering it faster than I wanted, and I tried to slow it down. Not in a very exaggerated way, but I definitely did something weird. I always used a platform at my old gym so I'd just drop them in a controlled manner. I think I may just do romanians or stiff legs until I join a better gym.

Also I don't do any other core work since I started lifting again a few months ago but I may start adding cable crunches and planks back in. I used to like doing those. e: bodyweight planks are one of those things it's okay to basically do every day right? I may just add them in to my stretching routine. Also I remember a while back Omar did a video on how they are actually good to do before you squat as a warm up to help get your hips and glutes going. Not sure if it's BS but I tried it a couple times and it seemed to help.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 8, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

I don't think bodyweight planks do much to strengthen anything tbh. Like literally every other lift you need to progressively add weight to get anywhere.

If you can do something every day it's not worth doing.

That's why I like cable crunches. easy to start doing, easy to make harder.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How do you even meassure a gain of 3 pounds over 6 weeks?
I mean thats like weighing before/after taking a hearty dump.
I gain/lose 4lbs during a normal day.

average it out I imagine

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
OHP is a bitch. I hit 90x5x5 and only the last rep of the last set went up slow. Then the next time it rolls around 4 days later and I do 95, I only get 4 reps, then 3 then 3. So I just went with that then a couple of sets of 65x8 after. I did rush it a bit and only waited a minute and a half between sets so maybe that was partially it. Or I need some 1.75lb plates to go up slower. I'm supposed to bench 155 5x5 tomorrow hopefully that goes well.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm basically doing Stronglifts. I do bench and ohp the proper way 5x5, but i do my squats as 3x5. I also haven't been squatting this week because the back thing, so I doubt it's overtraining type poo poo. Also my bench has felt pretty strong. My guess is it's just an off day, or maybe since OHP is naturally weaker, going up 5 lbs is too high a percentage of weight to jump, as compared to my bench which is at 150.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Well I haven't been back into lifting very long and I'm just doing one of the more popular beginner programs. I always intended to swap to something maybe somewhere between strength/hypertrophy once I get back into the groove of things. what are the names of these programs? I do think the concept of a couple of low rep high intensity sets followed by lighter hypertrophy sets would be more interesting and fun to do.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That ones pretty slow isn't it? It would be good to do a program that progresses more slowly because I work all the time so recovery friendly stuff is good, but I think I have a good bit of noob gains to exhaust before jumping on something like 5/3/1.

e: Also I still need to work on things like my diet, drinking less beer, sleep, etc. I've made some progress and immediately noticed some difference but I still have a ways to go. I'd like to get that stuff in check before jumping onto a more serious and strict program or maybe complicated is the word I'm looking for.

e2: I'm googling a bit and it seems 5/3/1 is fairly adjustable(it looks like theres a beginners version) and good for what I mentioned earlier about working a ton of hours, so I will consider hopping onto it sooner rather than later. Obviously still want to stick with what I'm doing for a bit longer, but I'd like to have a bit of a plan.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Doing bench and overhead press on separate days of a routine is a good way to fry your front delts.

Hope you're doing a lot of medial and rear work to compensate (and not a bunch of sets of front raises like half the clowns in my gym).

Do you mean fry as in injure or fry as in "work a lot"? I'm aware a lot of pushing motions can jack up your shoulders. I do 3 sets of face pulls at the end of every workout. Also pull ups on bench days and pendlay rows on OHP days. Also do shoulder dislocators and pull aparts with a band when I do my stretching.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
drat, I only got 155 for 3x5 on Bench Press tonight. The 5th rep on the 3rd set barely went up so I just left it at that, plus a backoff set of 5 at 135 like a minute after. I have been drinking a little more than usual the past few days, need to get that back under control so I'll blame it on that and try it again next week. Also tried Romanian Deadlifts, they felt weird I'm not sure if I did them right. I took a video and my back seemed to stay straight but I may have bent at the knees too much.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I watched the Alan Thrall video on it. Basically I hinged my hips back and go down until I feel a stretch, but without going down far enough to pull my hips into a posterior tilt. I'll upload the video later for form check when I feel like it. It did feel like it'll be really helpful for teaching me to be able to put deadlifts down more controlled. What weight do you guys usually use compared to your regular deadlift? Right now my regular deadlift 5 rep max is probably around 225. I started at 95 and worked up to 145 doing 6 or 7 reps per set. It felt pretty easy but I didn't want to go real hard until I feel confident on form. I think I managed to go a couple inches below the knees at the bottom.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
no, but I almost couldn't get the last bench rep up until I yelled TINY LOWTAX. if i had to pick a lifting nemesis i guess it would be him. i think one time he said something sarcastic to me but i don't remember what it was

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I don't do things like that

im glad we can be friends but i'm going to need a new lifting nemesis. maybe sassassin? im pretty sure he started lifting the same time i did and he tried bossing me around about doing ohp and benching in the same week

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
if you're not aware Vegain Gains is the name of a youtube channel. go watch it if you ever feel like you need to be mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndbEwkD9d4 these sure do look like a couple of really cool, likable people