Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Is liking IPAs the same as putting ketchup on steak or is it more akin to eating super spicy food for no reason

I just like bitter :(

It's more like thinking chipotle is good Mexican food than any of those dumb things you said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
the IPA craze is whatever but my local bars carrying nothing but ciders and fruity wheats on tap lately is bullshit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think almost all wheat beers taste like poo poo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

med school head posted:

the IPA craze is whatever but my local bars carrying nothing but ciders and fruity wheats on tap lately is bullshit

Tried a cranberry gose the other day and the sour and bitter tasted just like bile.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
IPA???

India pale ale???

more like

incredibly poopy aftertaste

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I think almost all wheat beers taste like poo poo

Wheat beer is fine as long as its from Bavaria. It's almost like 1000 years of brewing has taught them something

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
the only good beer comes from repeatedly re-consuming your own piss and eating nothing but sugar cubes and then leaving 10% out in the sun for weeks at a time

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I like all beer and I'm about to drink some in about 8 minutes. I got a black ale because it's only 46 degrees here.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Tried a cranberry gose the other day and the sour and bitter tasted just like bile.

I had a melon gose and it was good. I think it was this one:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/184814/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Roylicious posted:

Milkdrinker.

Correct. I bought the store's last 2 bottles because they're not brewing anymore til next june supposedly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've still got three bottles of Dom de Dieu left to drink

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Correct. I bought the store's last 2 bottles because they're not brewing anymore til next june supposedly.

yuengling is still making beer hth

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SeXReX posted:

IPA???

India pale ale???

more like

incredibly poopy aftertaste

Please do not sign your posts

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

let it mellow posted:

yuengling is still making beer hth

I don't think we get that in New Zealand but I'll keep an eye out.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I don't think we get that in New Zealand but I'll keep an eye out.

Man everything west of like, Missouri doesn't get that, I doubt anywhere outside the USA will see any.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Man everything west of like, Missouri doesn't get that, I doubt anywhere outside the USA will see any.

i had it once accidentally. it was mediocre

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
I had some so called good IPA today according to reviews: Firestone Walker Union Jack. It wasn't bad; 7.5% ABV and didn't taste like I was trying to suck the poo poo out of someone's rear end in a top hat.

If that is what a good IPA is supposed to taste like, then I already knew since it was not much different from Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Basch lives! posted:

I had some so called good IPA today according to reviews: Firestone Walker Union Jack. It wasn't bad; 7.5% ABV and didn't taste like I was trying to suck the poo poo out of someone's rear end in a top hat.

If that is what a good IPA is supposed to taste like, then I already knew since it was not much different from Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin.

yeah to me a lot of IPAs just dont have any unique sort of charcter to them because theyre just a bottle full of hops, but the best ones are usually local, unless your local beer scene sucks

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
dales pale ale and lagunitas are good go tos though if you have no other choice

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im about to drink a fat tire ale

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
Corona Extra for me 365

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Is liking IPAs the same as putting ketchup on steak or is it more akin to eating super spicy food for no reason

Pretty sure it's more akin to enjoying the act of munching on some pharmaceutical tablets. We evolved to sense bitter as a poison warning.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Senor Dog posted:

Look at all the wonderful choices

I have tried most of these standouts are the owl beer and the pumking. notably absent is dogfish head's punkin beer which is very good.

Ips are utterly disgusting and every microbrewery make a million of them because I guess they're easy to make

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

I'm still just trying random stuff out and so far I prefer the balance of "regular" pale ales over IPAs and I had a coffee milk stout I really liked. I need some NZ beer nerd buddies.

Was it Mike's Coffee Milk stout? Because that is a personal favourite.

I pretty much enjoy most beer styles (even some of the non-craft NZ ranges like Macs have decent options) except I never got into Barley Wines.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Was it Mike's Coffee Milk stout? Because that is a personal favourite.

I pretty much enjoy most beer styles (even some of the non-craft NZ ranges like Macs have decent options) except I never got into Barley Wines.

8 Wired out of Warkworth.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chinatown posted:

im about to drink a fat tire ale
new belgium only started distributing to NYC this year, so now i get to have these regularly instead of having to go into their areas. it's not fancy but it's a great go-to

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
can you get oskar blues stuff in nyc yet

their beers are a lot better than new belgium

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

8 Wired out of Warkworth.

I didn't realise they did a coffee milk stout but I don't think I've tried anything of theirs I haven't liked. Most of the pubs I frequent carry their range so I will look out for it.
Their Hopwired IPA is one of favourite IPAs I've tasted - to keep this thread on the IPA theme.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Drank the Rogue Marionberry Braggot.

It was bad.

C'est le vie.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
New Belgium is garbage and yuengling is ultra-garbage. People actually like this poo poo?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pants in my pants posted:

New Belgium is garbage and yuengling is ultra-garbage. People actually like this poo poo?

Yuengling isn't garbage, its mediocre, not something I would ever recommend but would definitely drink on a lazy football sunday.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

pants in my pants posted:

We're all proud of you for having opinions and voicing them in the strongest terms you could think of. You'll make a fine obnoxious idiot yet. Here's a clap for you :golfclap:

feller fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 9, 2016

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Senor Dog posted:

We're all proud of you for having opinions and voicing them in the strongest terms you could think of. You'll make a fine obnoxious idiot yet. Here's a clap for you :golfclap:

Stop making fun of the only cool guy in the room

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

a bone to pick posted:

Yuengling isn't garbage, its mediocre, not something I would ever recommend but would definitely drink on a lazy football sunday.

if yuengling had nationwide distribution, budweiser would be out of business

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

if yuengling had nationwide distribution, budweiser would be out of business

Watch your tongue when talking about The King of Beers.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

craft beer fanboys treat IBUs the way others treat scoville units, yeah

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
ALSO, when did this whole "microbreweries selling growlers" thing start

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

can you get oskar blues stuff in nyc yet
we've had them for a while. they're very good

the trump tutelage posted:

ALSO, when did this whole "microbreweries selling growlers" thing start
i couldn't tell you but you're saying that like it's a bad thing. beer bottle shops that fill growlers are great as well

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If I was a billionaire I would buy the Unibroue factory and then move into my new factory to live in it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

I didn't realise they did a coffee milk stout but I don't think I've tried anything of theirs I haven't liked. Most of the pubs I frequent carry their range so I will look out for it.
Their Hopwired IPA is one of favourite IPAs I've tasted - to keep this thread on the IPA theme.

A former 8 Wired guy started up Mcleod's a few years ago and they're really good as well, not sure on their distribution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've got two Dom de Dieu bottles left and one Flying Dog Pale Ale. my sister and (as of yesterday) future brother-in-law are coming over so they get the good stuff

• Locked thread