Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

What about her ties to foreign dictators? Her support for the war crimes of the Obama administration? Her support for Israel?

I think she's better than Trump, but so are Stein, Johnson and my grandmother, who has been dead for 6 years. It's just that Clinton can win.

So she's an American politician? Also Obama at least admitted to torturing some folk which is light years beyond any other president. The world loving sucks dude and so does US foreign policy. Get used to baby steps in the right direction.

Also want me to call up actual Jesus? He seems like the only candidate to fit your steep needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Obama also refused to prosecute any of the war criminals. Really, gently caress that guy.
Your standards are very low. Perhaps if you demanded better people instead of applauding a war criminal for admitting someone else was war criminal, you'd get better politicians.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I ain't ignoring poo poo, Clinton's pro-war with Russia position is a reason that I voted for her

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Speaking of that, I think it's scary how many Trump supporters like Putin. I mean... Sure, he's authoritarian, and they like that, but do they not know that he isn't exactly a free market guy?

Of course they don't...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Odd I dont remember her saying she has no follow up plan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SimonCat posted:

That is not a ringing endorsement of Hillary's judgement.

If she is President, how will the President lie to her about intel?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SimonCat posted:

Since Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, yeah, it's pretty shocking.

If you read the speech she gave before her vote, she admitted that regime change had been the policy of the US government since 1998, when her husband was president. She wanted war with Iraq even before 9/11.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2008/1/12/435624/-

Your phrasing is odd here. It's not really something she could "admit," it was a public fact and the result of the Iraq Liberation Act which did pass in 1998.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

Speaking of that, I think it's scary how many Trump supporters like Putin. I mean... Sure, he's authoritarian, and they like that, but do they not know that he isn't exactly a free market guy?

Of course they don't...

He's super free market. He can sell the state to anyone he wants, and he wants to sell it to his friends so he does.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Non Serviam posted:

Your standards are very low. Perhaps if you demanded better people instead of applauding a war criminal for admitting someone else was war criminal, you'd get better politicians.

Nobody else has, why would we?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

This is the stupidest thing. Yes, a no-fly zone would be a good thing. Yes, she should propose it as a way to try to stabilize Syria. Yes, Putin will say 'gently caress off' and continue to be a comicbook villain. The fact that this is what will happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and shouldn't be attempted.

Russia will never "violate" it because they'll veto it on the security council.

Expanding for the new page - basically the most we can do now that Russia has their dick firmly lodged in Assad is pressure and shame them. For the same reason exactly jack and poo poo could be done to prevent them from annexing crimea. The actual problem here is more fundamental: What the gently caress do you do when a nuclear power starts getting expansionist?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

If she is President, how will the President lie to her about intel?

She didn't vote based on the intel, she voted because regime change was a policy she was in favor of since at least 1998.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He's super free market. He can sell the state to anyone he wants, and he wants to sell it to his friends so he does.

To be fair the worst of this occurred under Yeltsin and he was celebrated in the West.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Harik posted:

Expanding for the new page - basically the most we can do now that Russia has their dick firmly lodged in Assad is pressure and shame them. For the same reason exactly jack and poo poo could be done to prevent them from annexing crimea. The actual problem here is more fundamental: What the gently caress do you do when a nuclear power starts getting expansionist?

You cannot shame Vladimir.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Harik posted:

Engage in cold war, duh.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

This is not election-related, but this is good..

...real fuckin good. And yes there more to it than that at the link.

Also this is good too:

https://twitter.com/BrianThompy/status/793269902794559488

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/15/you-can-t-steal-a-culture-in-defense-of-cultural-appropriation.html

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Y'all really weird

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

This is not election-related, but this is good..

...real fuckin good. And yes there more to it than that at the link.

This is real loving dumb. Rural people outside the south have used y'all forever too, just because it's part of the southern stereotype doesn't mean it was ever an exclusively southern thing. It's like saying that eating watermelons is culturally appropriative of black people.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

My favorite part about election night, all the meltdowns. My favorite of all time is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw This meltdown after the 2012 election is worth listening to for the 20+ minutes.
If this is the appetizer I cannot loving fathom the full course next week. :holymoley:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Non Serviam posted:

You cannot shame Vladimir.

Which leaves economic pressure, that Europe has already tried and they've tried to ignore (so far). It's painful, but not to the people who matter, so it hasn't really slowed them down.

remusclaw posted:

Engage in cold war, duh.

Everything old is new again. I'm old enough to remember the end of the last one, not looking forward to round two.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SimonCat posted:

She didn't vote based on the intel, she voted because regime change was a policy she was in favor of since at least 1998.

She also said this in the link you posted "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program...It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." but you are ignoring that.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

Obama also refused to prosecute any of the war criminals. Really, gently caress that guy.

Of course they don't...

Yeah sure sets a great precedent spending your first 100 days going after the previous administration.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Non Serviam posted:

Of course they don't...
Do you think they actually care much about free markets? Free markets took their jobs from them, even if they have been encouraged to hate the Welfare Queens harder.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Harik posted:

This is the stupidest thing. Yes, a no-fly zone would be a good thing. Yes, she should propose it as a way to try to stabilize Syria. Yes, Putin will say 'gently caress off' and continue to be a comicbook villain. The fact that this is what will happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and shouldn't be attempted.

Russia will never "violate" it because they'll veto it on the security council.

Seriously this a million times, I have to yell this daily at idiots.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Lol @ thinking more than a tiny minority of republicans actually give a poo poo economic policy. Republicans nowadays vote R to combat illegal immigration, muslims and fever pitch dream liberal elite agendas

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Yeah sure sets a great precedent spending your first 100 days going after the previous administration.

He had 8 years after that. It turns out the statute of limitations on war crimes isn't 100 days.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

He had 8 years after that. It turns out the statute of limitations on war crimes isn't 100 days.

He didn't do it for the same reason Ford pardoned Nixon. It wouldn't have done any good.

I'm so sorry you cannot understand that politicians make deals and sometimes that goes against your perfect little ideal world.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

No U.S. President is ever going to trial let alone to prison as long as the U.S. itself exists. Get over it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Scent of Worf posted:

Lol @ thinking more than a tiny minority of republicans actually give a poo poo economic policy. Republicans nowadays vote R to combat illegal immigration, muslims and fever pitch dream liberal elite agendas

You have to distinguish between republican backers and republican voters, they want vastly different things. The candidates are mixed between the two groups lately.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kavak posted:

No U.S. President is ever going to trial let alone to prison as long as the U.S. itself exists. Get over it.

Oh come on, he's not even a very good troll. Straight up calls Obama a war criminal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are we waiting for Midnight pacific for the new thread? Or Alaskan?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Non Serviam posted:

Y'all really weird

It is weird.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Grouchio posted:

Are we waiting for Midnight pacific for the new thread? Or Alaskan?

They happen when they happen. I think cosmonaut said he was going to drop it pacific time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Anybody using the Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich dichotomy for this election should not be taken seriously at this point. Hillary Clinton has plenty of negatives, none of which are unusual for most American politicians; but saying that she's equally as terrible as anybody the GOP was going to put forth (let alone Donald) is reaching heavily for a "pox on both houses" equivalency which misses any of the very thought and nuance they supposedly want from their idealized, conceptual candidate that will never exist.

Criticism of Clinton is valid, but these purity tests asked of people who clearly already understand her faults is pointless.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

Anybody using the Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich dichotomy for this election should not be taken seriously at this point.

Was there ever a time we should have taken anyone who used that seriously?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
My favorite was implying Jill "wifi hurts us" Stein as a better option than Hillary.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kavak posted:

Which is exactly why we must elect Trump!

Once he destroys the U.S., we of the Revolutionary People's Front can finally prosecute infamous war criminals George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Hillary KKKlinton! Right after we hang those splitter shithead traitors in the People's Revolutionary Front and the Popular Revolution Front, of course.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

My favorite was implying Jill "wifi hurts us" Stein as a better option than Hillary.

Yeah that actually made me giggle. Jill "Really Really Into Crystals Probably" Stein and Gary "DID NOT KNOW WHAT ALEPPO IS" Johnson.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Don't forget Stein's running mate who published essays with and appeared on the radio show of a holocaust denialist.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd still vote for Hillary, even if there was no Trump, and Johnson and Stein somehow had a chance since they're both morons with terrible policy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Non Serviam posted:

Which she refused to release. Even Senator Warren sees her as being in the pocket of wall street.
This is the turd sandwich we gotta eat basically, but it's a scummy candidate.

i like it when people bring up the speaking fees b/c it's a p good indicator of misogyny

quote:

3) Money — OK let’s talk about her money. Hillary has a lot of it. And she has earned most of it through well-paid speaking fees. And the idea of getting paid $200,000 or more for a single speech seems so ludicrous to many people that they assume that it simply must be some form of bribery. But the truth is that there is a large, well-established and extremely lucrative industry for speaking and appearance fees. And within that industry many celebrities, sports stars, business leaders and former politicians get paid very well. At her most popular for example, Paris Hilton was being paid as much as $750,000 just to make an appearance. Kylie Jenner was once paid over $100,000 to go to her own birthday party, and to this day Vanilla Ice gets $15,000 simply to show up with his hat turned sideways.

And let’s talk about the more cerebral cousin of the appearance agreement, which is the speaking engagement. Is $200k really that unusual? In fact “All American Speakers”, the agency that represents Clinton, currently represents 135 people whose MINIMUM speaking fee is $200,000. Some of the luminaries that get paid this much include: Guy Fieri, Ang Lee, Carla Delevingne, Chelsea Handler, Elon Musk, Mehmet Oz, Michael Phelps, Nate Berkus, and “Larry the Cable Guy”. And no that last one is not a joke. And if you drop the speaking fee to $100k, the number of people they represent jumps to over 500. At $50,000 the number jumps to over 1,200. And All American Speakers are obviously not the only agency that represents speakers. So there are in fact thousands of people getting paid this kind of money to give a speech.

For millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills, the very idea that someone can make $100,000 or more for just giving a speech or hanging out at a Vegas nightclub is obscene. But as Richard Nixon used to say, “don’t hate the player, hate the game.” Hillary didn’t invent the speaking engagement industry, and she isn’t anywhere near the first person to make a lot of money from it. And while her fees are in the upper range of what speakers make, neither they nor the total amount of money she has made are unusual. It’s just unusual FOR A WOMAN.

And yes, I’m back on that, because I feel compelled to point out that before he ran for President in 2007, Rudy Giuliani was making about $700,000 a month in speaking fees with an average of $270k per speech. It’s estimated that in the 5 years before his run he earned as much as $40 million in speaking fees. Nobody cared, no accusations of impropriety were made, and there was almost no media interest. So why did Giuliani get a pass, while Hillary stands accused of inherent corruption for making less money doing the same thing?

And speaking of corruption, after leaving the Florida governor’s office Jeb Bush made millions of dollars in paid speeches. This includes large sums he collected from a South Korean metals company that reaped over a BILLION dollars in contracts from his brother’s presidential administration. Speaking to an Indian newspaper about this type of thing Bush said, “This is the life of being the brother of the president.” Do you remember reading all about that while Jeb was running for President? I didn’t think so. Jeb got a pass too.

So if this discussion is really about money in politics that’s fine. But I’m going to need someone to explain to me why we only seem to focus on it when the person making the money has a vagina.

the author then goes on to address the wall street "connection"

it's a great article

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Don't forget Stein's running mate who published essays with and appeared on the radio show of a holocaust denialist.

Stein's really ok with the slaughter of children isn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BaDandy posted:

Yeah that actually made me giggle. Jill "Really Really Into Crystals Probably" Stein and Gary "DID NOT KNOW WHAT ALEPPO IS" Johnson.

Third party candidates only seem good on human rights and foreign issues because they can make any claims they want with no worry that they will ever have to actually try to enact any of them.

• Locked thread