Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Daily reminder that Donald is older than Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VanSandman posted:

Trump is, honestly, the most amazing shitshow I have ever seen or know of.

And 40-45% of people are going to vote for him for president :negative:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GetWellGamers posted:

Just sit for a moment and envision what a Trump "Concession" speech will look like. :fap:

"Mike Pence was a terrible running mate! I never wanted to be president anyway."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Isn't this the case that even Jezebel said was dubious and probably fabricated by some Never Trump PAC?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Endorph posted:

hypothetically, what even happens if a third party candidate actually wins the election?

It's hard to predict how well a third-party president would be able to work with Congress.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Instant Sunrise posted:

didn't he do political cartoons for a little while in the carter years?

He did.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GalacticAcid posted:

I can't really tell if this is going over my head or under it.

In 1980, Ted Kennedy ran against Jimmy Carter in the Democratic primaries. The cartoon is about the Democrats dumping Carter.

Bip Roberts posted:

I really enjoy that animal thing.

It's a donkey.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

punk rebel ecks posted:

People have to stop acting that Gary Johnson is anywhere near a reasonable person. "Qualified" and "Gary Johnson" should never be put in the same sentence. He's every bit as dumb as Stein, only with way worse policies.

Having been a two-term governor, he does have more political experience than the other three candidates iospace ranked behind him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Friends Are Evil posted:

Question: Should I be worried about the Wikileaks dump containing actual damning information about Clinton, or is it probably just hot air?

The last "wikileaks dump" was just highlights of emails that were previously leaked.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

So is Robert Costa, like, capable of astral projection or something, because this guy's privy to a downright eerie amount of insider info.

Trump has a reputation for stiffing people who work for him, so people who are in it for the money are deterred from his campaign by that.
Trump's campaign has been widely believed to be a lost cause since the beginning, so people motivated by political ambitions aren't biting.
So that really cuts down on quality campaign staffers.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cult member at airport posted:

Trump's kids won't ever turn on him because they know the minute they do they're out of the family business and out of the will. Donald Jr. and Eric seem to mostly be on board with their dad but I wouldn't be surprised if Ivanka hates her life right now.

Maybe after Donald kicks the bucket she'll open up more about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Would someone mind posting the link to the soundcloud in this story? It's not loading right for me, just giving me a grey square with "soundcloud" on it, even when I disable my adblocker.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thank you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NaanViolence posted:

Tell that to those who trusted the Brexit polling!

Brexit polling was a lot closer than current US presidential election, even a month out, and even up to the very day of the referendum, the polls continued to move back and forth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vyelkin posted:

90% of this ad is "Tim Kaine did his job as a lawyer" and the other 10% is "Tim Kaine opposes the death penalty". Like, sure, okay, I guess?

They've gone after Hillary for doing her job as a lawyer ("Hillary freed a child molester!") so this is keeping with their past tactics.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, I found a pic of the people who put that attack ad together:

https://twitter.com/JoeSondow/status/780562081724583936

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm pessimistic about the Trump Foundation scandals having any real effect on the race, unless Trump makes a huge blunder about them during the debates. The public's mind is already set on the Clinton Foundation being corrupt. Any and all mention of the Trump Foundation's improprieties can be deflected with "well what about the Clinton Foundation?" and people will treat the Clinton Foundation charges more seriously because they've already been primed to believe that that's the corrupt one, ergo, any attempt to smear the Trump Foundation must just be a deflection and not as serious.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So this is predictable but still fun to hear.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/democrats-donald-trump-record-229021

Democrats are planning to use individual Republicans' endorsements of Trump against them in 2017, 2018, and 2020.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's so weird, like, every Trump scandal is something that, in a normal election, would dominate the headlines for weeks, but here they're getting pushed out by new scandals in a couple days. Could you imagine if, in late September 2012, it had some out that Bain Capital had done business in Cuba while Romney was at the helm? There are just so many stories about Trump that would sink any other campaign, it's ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/783019928421105664
(spoilers: it's exactly what you'd expect the answer to be)

"The military is no place for social experiments" says segregationist senator from Mississippi, 1948.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

Donald wants to spread the word on his new website.
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10157817342670725

Hah, second-from-top reply is someone ranting about NWO conspiracy theories.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

"I have a secret plan to fight inflation" - Trump, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boner confessor posted:

lol that he's namedropping probable narcissist macarthur and controversial patton instead of, you know, eisenhower, who became president

Eisenhower sent the army into Little Rock. Not a popular action among Trump's base.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cyron posted:

So, i think this thread is where you update about family politic drama? so in a huge turn of events my dad who always voted for the GOP since the 70's and hated Bill Clinton will be voting all democrat this November, it kind of cool so i am happy. he thinks Hillary will be a good president.

MY cosion on the other hand is a bit of a rear end in a top hat, he hates trump and is democrat in heart but he hate Hillary with a passion, honestly believe she killed people (but slick willy never killed) and rigged the entire primaries. he also believe that social justice is how the nazis got their start and get pissy about the kneeling at the anthem at football games. but good news he won't be voting since we live in a blue state so he thinks his vote don't matter.

I wish my own family political drama could end so well. My dad, a Republican since 1980, has given up all hope of defending Trump, acknowledging that he's a terrible person who would make a terrible president, but he's voting for him anyway because he says the most important thing is the Supreme Court.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

patonthebach posted:

Can someone explain what this October Surprise thing is to someone that isnt American?

The idea of a big, unexpected event that occurs late in the election cycle that could potentially swing the election. Various events from past campaigns are sometimes pointed out as "october surprises," particularly Iran not releasing the hostages in 1980 which is a major reason why Carter lost, but it doesn't really fit the definition of being something totally unforseen. In reality, there hasn't really been any "October surprise" big enough to swing an election.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Was Assange's October Surprise literally an hour of him promoting his company and his book?

because lol I knew it was going to be a nothingburger but that really takes the cake.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy loving poo poo, "cuntfusing"?

Okay, there goes any opinion of Notch I had.

When you make it big, you stop growing. Notch became a billionaire when he was a basement-dwelling internet libertarian neckbeard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doorknob Slobber posted:

honestly its going to be boring probably

Yeah, this is the feeling I get. Pence is terrible but he's not a political neophyte like Trump and I figure he can hold his own in a debate. Everyone will say the candidate they support won and the media will call it a win for the Trump campaign because it's the first good news they've gotten in a week.

Then again, I said the same thing about the first debate and I was wrong so I hope I'm wrong again.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Antti posted:

Maybe this debate will be the platform where the Sixth Amendment is rehabilitated from being the red-headed stepchild of all the amendments.

Who am I kidding.

The red-headed stepchild of the amendments is clearly the Third Amendment. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But is America ready for a cyborg female president?

I will brook no criticism of Tammy Duckworth, US President 2025-2033

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/783308693945352192
:getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Colonel J posted:

I'm very stupid and not american and don't get why the pay to play thing is funny :( Can someone ~explain the joke~?

Pay to play is a form of corruption that Republicans have been accusing Hillary of for months. It's funny because when Trump fans saw a "pay to play" folder in the leaked documents, they got all excited that this would confirm what they've been saying, but it turns out that it's actually secret research the Democratic Party was doing into some Republican congressman engaged in pay to play.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pence lied his rear end off but he came across as stronger and more collected. Every time Kaine brought up some crazy shitballs thing Trump said, Pence waved it off like it was nothing and whenever Kaine tried to press him, he came across badly. The fact checkers are gonna savage Pence but he was a better debater.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lamb Chowder posted:

I swear I heard that "smallest Navy since 1916" during 2012. I assume that's going by sailors enlisted or active?

Probably by number or tonnage of ships. Which of course is totally beside the point because
a. the world has changed in the last 100 years and a fuckhuge navy is no longer necessary for national defense, and
b. we still have a more powerful navy than basically every other navy in the world combined

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GalacticAcid posted:

Did they ask Pence about the HIV epidemic in Indiana that his policies caused

Nope. They also didn't go into LGBT policies at all. I was frustrated at Kaine for not bringing either of those things up when he had the opportunity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Artificer posted:

Okay is ANYONE else getting redirected often to the wrong loving threads when you click "see new posts" in a given thread?

It's a known issue.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793090

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Filthy Hans posted:

I forgot the debate and just logged in now, can I get a quick recap?

Kaine tried to nail Pence on a bunch of stupid poo poo Trump's said, forcing Pence to either defend it or acknowledge Trump was wrong. Instead, Pence just denied Trump said all those things. Pence came across stronger and more collected, so I'd say he "won" the debate despite lying his rear end off, making up statistics and denying facts about Trump the entire time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Night10194 posted:

Kaine's purpose on the ticket is Ensure Virginia, Have No Scandals.

Also to avoid scaring white men.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How many times do you think Kaine has said the phrase "lying his butt off" in the last hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lamb Chowder posted:

I'm not saying it matters, but, is there a law preventing you from swapping VP picks?

No, the parties have their own rules governing swapping VP picks (and, for that matter, presidential nominees) and they can change them at any time. The current rules on both sides require either the death or resignation of the candidate.

• Locked thread