Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JosefStalinator posted:

Anyone predicting the demise of the GOP is just wrong. All it takes is one recession, one major fuckup by Hillary or the Dems, or one dogwhistler who can control himself and sell himself as a center-right moderate (like W did) and the Republicans will be back in charge. They've got the house on lockdown until at least 2022, and will probably do well enough in 2020 to maintain their gerrymandered advantage.

I think this may be a bit too pessimistic mate. It seems more likely that the current crop of Republican voters will continue to vote themselves into obscurity over the next several years. If they remain "do nothings" then eventually the people of the districts will just start trying to throw out weirder and weirder people, until they can't even function as a sub section of a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I think trying to project farther than about six months in politics is basically pointless and speculating on whether or not Hillary could win a second term when she still has to win the first one. To use a trite analogy, let's go back and time and ask people in March of 2001 what they think of the possibility of a massive scale multi-location terrorist attack on US soil using airplanes as weapons, that kill thousands of people. Usually it's not that extreme, but hey, only five years ago we were having the Arab Spring and the original debt ceiling crisis. A lot can change in politics very quickly.

True, but I don't think that the GOP have enough nouse to be able to capitalise on it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

The important thing for her is to get Supreme Court justices and other federal judges on the bench. And that will require a Senate majority. I think if the Republicans keep the Senate this year, Hillary can be kept to a one term presidency, and absolutely nothing of value beyond vetoing Congress's lovely bills will happen.

That is looking increasingly unlikely.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Unhappily for this outlook, there are lots of other countries in the world that are still reliant on fossil fuels for energy production. Even if the US takes the lead and makes a massive shift towards baseline nuclear and green support, it's still a lot to ask of developing nations that they give up easy, cheap energy that they may already have within their borders.

That's a whole other nest of vipers, but if the major companies still have their offices in the USA there can be more pressure applied to CEO's.

A gigantic "IN THEORY" sign needs to be lit up every time I post about things though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh wow.

Seriously? Because I am really hopeful this stops the fuckwits at work who talk about Nigel as "A decent bloke" get hosed right in the ear.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

Cool. I may have to read the book he quotes in that article because it sounds like he is describing the present word for word, from 1998.

Jesus, the article itself sounds almost gleeful about this rise of Facism. That's weird, isn't it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Yeah? I'd heard like 33%, but I expect the gap could adequately be explained by counting a slice of the Hispanic population in a different way.

I mean that's the thing, America HAS successfully resisted fascism in the past.

The thing that boggles my mind is that the USA is probably going to end up seeing another wave of immigration from Europe if this poo poo hole goes the way I am expecting it to.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

the moral of the story is race is weird and arbitrary, especially in America

It's always one of my favorite stories of during the Qing dynasty over in China there was a general who had served under them who was "han" but he asked if they could change his race so that he and his heirs didn't have to pay as much tax. The Emperor himself went "Sure, why not!" and just changed it. It's absolutely brilliant to see how race is little more than a concept at certain points.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

botany posted:

Do you have a link or a source or something for this story? I'd like to read more on that.

It's from a William T Rowe book "China's last Empire"

It's part of the Belknap/ Harvard collection about the history of Imperial China.

The full quote is:

quote:

"In 1688 Tong Guogang, an officer of the Chinese Plain Blue Banner, petitioned the Kangxi emperor to change his officially registered ethnicity from "Chinese-martial" (hanjun) to "Manchu". His great-uncle Tong Bunian had been been born in Liadong around 1580 but moved to Wuchang in central China. As a Wuchang native, he passed the metropolitan examination in 1616 served the Ming as a country magistrate, and later headed up the dynasty's military defences in the northeast. After a disastrous defeat Tong Bunian was accused of treason and died in prison in 1625, fervently proclaiming his loyalty to the Ming. His son Guoqi grew up in Wuchang and there composed a genealogy defending his father's Chinese patriotism by demonstrating descent from no fewer than ten generations of heroic Ming soldiers. But when Guoqi was taken captive during the Qing conquest of the Yangzi region in 1645 he and his family were impressed into the Chinese Plain Blue Banner.

As it turned out, other Tong men of Liaodong ancestry- men whom Guoqi had cadidly included in his genealogy- had been just as heroic in the cause of the conquering Qing armies as Tong Bunian had been in defense of the Ming. Indeed, one of those would become the maternal grandfather of the Kangxi emperor, making Tong Guogang himself Kanxi's uncle! The emperor thus granted Guogang's petition for reclasification as Manchu, noting, however, that it would be administratively awkward to similarly reclassify too many of his distant kin. From that day forward Tong Guogang and certain relatives of his became Manchus while others remained Chinese. In this time and place, ethnic identities were far from genetically predetermined but were flexible, ambigious and negotiable"

The citation for this is Crossley "The Tong in two worlds".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

:thoughtful post asking for responsibility and calm at this time:

Got it Pj. You keep safe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/stop-whining-about-false-balance-w440228

This seems like a very weird story from Matt Taibbi, anyone want to come in with thair take?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So the actual best option might be Trump telling his cohorts to vote for him alone and no other "down ticket" republican. Solely so that he can "show them" how it's done.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am so looking forward to it if they have 2 more worse bits of Opo. I am imagining it's trump actively calling for white genocide and saying that all republicans must die.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

trash person posted:

Trump shill on CNN tries to compare Pussygate to Clinton Foundation. Poppy Harlow shut it down

Anyone got a link to this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

It's ongoing. The Trump supporter is insane, he's having a full-on meltdown.

Gods, can anyone provide a link when it's all finished?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Well they did a bang-up job of it in South Africa...

It's weird that I keep getting confused between New Zealand and South African. They have such different political poo poo and such similar accents.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

edrith posted:

remember how post-2012 there were all those jokes about nate silver riding the subway telling people the exact moment they'd die? i think owen ellickson has taken the prophetic staff this year

Hey we've got Prestor Jane to predict things here as well!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For English-speaking white South Africans, yeah, this happens a lot.

Of course, we're like less than 5% of the country's population, so ponder that for a minute in terms of representation.

Is it ever tempting to claim to be Kiwi?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Yes. Let the monster you built strangle you.

it's so satsifying to see this come round and choke the people that nursed this hatred.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Anos posted:

Has a presidential nominee ever been this hosed before?

McGovern. Maybe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Thing is she's too much of a dipshit to not get into fights in protective custody, let alone gen pop.

Yes blame the person who is attempting to kill themselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The challenge for the GOP is to convince people who won't vote for Trump to still get out and vote, all while not pissing off his insane supporters.

That is not a needle that can be threaded and you know it.

gently caress this false equivilance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Honestly GOP message discipline breaking down seems like a bad sign.

Eh it could be good considering how much of a split it is becoming.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

axeil posted:

Jason Pargin/David Wong is a really smart/thoughtful man and one of the only reasons I think Cracked has stayed afloat. I only listen to their podcast still just so I can hear the once a month episode with him. He's increadibly insightful.

Imagine the longest "ehhhh" and biggest hand waggling up and down in history.

I think he's coming to a lot of good stuff, but he's also really into seeing things individually as much as systemically and also seems to have some hang ups of his own. Not that that's different from anyone else, but it just makes me a bit wary of some of his stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I realize trying to convince a group of people of the worth of a politically opposed cohort during election season is ultimately futile.

I think it also hurts when the other person is an actual facistic strong man.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask why. I asked how.

I think we should help rural poor white people but that's probably going to amount to imposed economic policies to move them towards cities and population centers. Rural living is mostly unsustainable economically. If you're ok with the idea that these people cannot sustain their way of life in a way they desire and that's still the best course of action, then sure. But they'll be kicking and screaming all the way and we'll face continuous criticism of authoritarianism and destroying good working rural people's lives in the process.

There is no win scenario here where they get to stay rural people and still be happy and not poor.

Maybe if they set up reasonably close to a big city as a kind of large scale "historical" farm. Over here in Britain we have places like IronBridge that are set up like they were in the victorian era, maybe they could do something similar for early 2000's farming?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

If people want to screw their neighbors or themselves in the name of a backwards-rear end ideology, don't let them. The federal government intervenes to protect the civil rights of minorities in conservative areas, they should also be providing a social safety net to protect people in those states from economic harm done by their own government. Even if that's their own fault or due to their own decisions. Higher minimum wages, guaranteed incomes, guaranteed health care, etc. etc. That's what not giving up on people in rural areas means. It doesn't mean you say "gosh, you guys are doing great, keep doing whatever you want." But it does mean listening to people and knowing what their problems are - their real problems, not "the drat immigrants" - so they can be effectively addressed.

I doubt that would play well. "You are litterally too stupid to come up with a good idea, so the government that you voted against is going to come in and help!". I mean I get what it's saying but it'd be one of the easiest things in the world to be spun by dickhead "states rights" people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, probably. It's happened before: see the VRA. Smarter people than me can deal with it. I don't want to see people die of preventable diabetes complications because they voted badly.

Fair enough.

How does one deal with a dying community though? I mean what can people do to revitalise it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

why not just own what you say and go and kill some white people if that's how you really feel, instead of posting in the elitist white people forum.

Where the gently caress did this come from?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like they probably don't want to become bizarro Amish, to be honest. That seems rather patronizing. They want their way of life to become mainstream again, culturally acceptable. They don't want to be quaint time capsules that aren't taken seriously.

Well in which case the simple fact is it's not coming back. If you told them otherwise it would be a horrific sort of lie.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

No you misunderstand. I mean "where the gently caress are you reading Kill Whitey in that". Because at present I do not see it. Sorry if it's obvious to other people!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

...funny how so many black people are getting lynched and it isn't making the news, then.

Depends on the time period of service I rather assume.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

2spooky4me posted:

Empathy is hard guys.

To be fair the people it's aimed at would get mad at you for having it towards them.

Much as an atheist would get pissed if you said that you were "praying for them".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol at Democrats being the "center right" party

But the more you stay out of party politics the less power your voice will have so... :byewhore:

At the local level? I don't really see much evidence to disprove that notion.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Stacks posted:

None of this matters though. Hillary is a shoe-in. The election is essentially over and your guys' candidate is going to win. Y'all should be ecstatic! :)

Well explaining why you feel that stepping aside solves the trolley problem would be nice.

I mean I am not going to disagree neccesarily, but some answers would be nice to debate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Also it wasn't a center-right plan at the time, but the lens of history shifts what we count as being left.

Don't Ask Don't Tell being a good example of left of center policy then that seems very rightwing now.

Think it still was.

I mean saying "well it was different then" is alright when we talk about the practicalities of things. But it still doesn't stop it being centre right ideologically (more business stuff, less regulation etc).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

lozzle posted:

Yeah you don't give a poo poo about people in the Middle East at all, just so you know. Or black people, gays, women, etc.

Seeing the rest of the world not giving a poo poo encourages ordinary people to do the same unfortunately.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

sarmhan posted:

Would you say she is shrill?

Not to be blunt but Hillary is not as good a speaker as Obama. I don't think that's even really a debate point.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

As to the whole "well you can't judge the past by the standards of today" thing. I think we both can and, to put it bluntly, should view past political decisions that lead us up to certain points. To go "well it was left for it's time" might hold true for stuff from the 900's, but you can't seriously be saying that the whole deregulation of banking thing was left of centre for it's time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Eschers Basement posted:

loving FDR, that centrist cocksucker. Just gave us the Social Security we have rather than making it bigger or better.

Also tried packing the supreme court. Didn't send Jesse Owens a "congratulations" message when he won in Germany. Put Japanese people into camps etc.

What I'm saying is that people can do good stuff but, more often than not, we're all bastards.

• Locked thread