Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/guardianworld/status/782176125766152192

vorebane posted:

And the GOP will have to deal with everyone knowing that outright racist red meat rhetoric gets primary votes. There will be a lot more Trump-like and Herman Cain-like candidacies I think. The math of needing the far right fringe in the primary won't go away for awhile.

I fully expect the 2020 GOP field to contain a handful of hucksters and those looking to sell their books/Fox News appearance just like this year. You're right though, dog-whistling simply isn't enough anymore, especially if you have another blatant Trump-like figure who's willing to dig in the poo poo for votes. I do wonder if Cruz still has a chance - he seemed to prop himself up as the True Conservative You Guys 2020 candidate before he endorsed Trump, but that endorsement may come back to bite him hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

I still genuinely don't believe that Trump can do any debate prep or be coached because doing so requires recognition of his own faults. He's basically just finding celebrities to practice zingers with instead of schlubs like before.

The funny thing is you're right. Blaming the mic is what losers do. To him, the mic was the only problem, and Trump has done exactly zero soul searching or real practice as a result. So expect more chaos dunking by Abuela next week.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Is this going to be like The Simpsons where there's a relevant Trump tweet for every possible situation? :psyduck:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/newsbysamuels/status/782357088903106560

Not to distract from Trumpchat, but Gary Johnson keeps lending credence to the Libertarian Party. :downs:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's live at a rally, he doesn't even know about this yet.

At the very least his campaign is aware of it, given the "he knows the most like ever you guys" silly comment. Who's the unlucky intern who has to break the news to him? I hope it's Chris Christie.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/782396092788932608

It's just too good. Is this the worst week of Trump's entire life?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what direction is Kaine going to take for the debate on Tuesday? Does he hit Pence on how terrible he is or try and go after Trump through him?

I honestly have no idea, Kaine seems like too nice of a guy to actually get into a debate. IMO he should attempt to tie Pence to Trump's most terrible policies, and somehow get Pence to defend them. It's not worked out well for him, and it certainly won't on stage.

Also he should ask what Pence's problem with the X-Men is, because Kaine saw that first movie with his family a few years back and he really liked it.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

This is seriously the greatest week all year

"It's the 1st of the month and a Saturday, there's not going to be any news today." - Me, 12 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/782422082198003713

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Cthulhumatic posted:

So how worried should we be about Wikileaks? Not at all, right?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Taxes are pure evil to their base, so trying to turn this around for them might work, but only because they are idiots.

I'm not so sure about that. If the media and Hillary's campaign can hit him hard enough, reminding people that you and your family pay taxes every single year, but Trump hasn't for two decades has potential.

Plus Christie and Giuliani are morons, so I don't think they can paper over this themselves. Katy Tur and NBC were not kind to Trump this morning.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

Can you imagine what game change 3 will look like? It's going to be a 2000 page epic novel at this point

When the earth recovers from nuclear winter and the next civilization arises and discovers what works humans have created, they will find The Bible and Game Change 3. poo poo's gonna top the NYT Best Sellers for years.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Augus posted:

lol if you think they'll be able to keep him on the teleprompter moments after he loses the election for president of the united states

I'll actually be mildly disappointed if his televised failure isn't accompanied by a string of four-letter cursing. You just know there won't be a dignified concession speech.

Simplex posted:

Yeah, the Aleppo thing was crushing enough, but to get caught out a second time showing a complete lack of knowledge or awareness of the world outside the United States is pretty shocking. He's at least twice as dumb as Sarah Palin, who we had presumed set a new low when it came to national level politics.

I don't even know if the Aleppo/foreign leader gaffes really matter to those who are Feeling The Gary. The response I've seen on Facebook mostly consists of "that's unfortunate, but still better than Clinton or Trump :downs:"

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

This is a real loving pro-click despite its length. I'm happy to have voted for him.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

She better be careful, too much of that strenuous mental gymnastics can be unhealthy.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

has john boehner said anything really bitter about the current gop and election?

At one point, he had some great tweets about being proud of drinking and mowing his yard.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Does he always like he's in the middle of taking a poo poo?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Is there an official debate watch thread?

Too Shy Guy posted:

They want people sitting down to watch the VP debate wondering if Trump even wants that dude up there.

It's an efficient strategy for Kaine to hit. "Why is Pence even the VP choice if he disagrees with Trump? Is Donald so unloved by his own party that Pence is the best they could find?"

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
The Middle East is spinning out of control.

How could this have happened? My history books are missing a chapter.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
President....Bush?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kaine stop trying to interrupt goddamn

He's acting like an attack dog. I didn't see it coming.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

thank christ VP debates don't matter

This was never going to be a slugfest murderthon. These two guys are policy nerds, and this is a nerdy policy debate.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
"There they go again"

*crickets*

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

So it sounds like anyone who doesn't care about politics would have turned this off 10 min in?

This was never going to be the ratings grabber that the debate before and after are. This is a boring-rear end wonky debate, and you won't hear anything about it past Friday.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
"Claims about institutional racism have to stop"

Gee. :jerkbag:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Is...is this what having a moderator is like?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

berserker posted:

This reminds me of Obama v Romney part 1, except that it probably won't make an impact on polls

Echoing this. It'll make Democrats sad for a day or two, but then Trump will realize that people aren't talking about him, he'll flip, and then we have another topic for the next Presidential debate this Sunday.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
"I want to give this President credit"

RINO :bahgawd:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

This debate is boring.

I think this is how most people will interpret this debate. There's no exciting moments of people yelling, no shoulder shimmies, and no meme-worthy lines. They'll just have to wait this out until Sunday.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, this debate is both too detailed and uses too much high level vocabulary to get much traction. People will come away from this with a "both sides have competent people" attitude, which sounds like a mild trump win to me.

Even a draw results in a mild win after the complete and total shellacking over the past 8 days.

speng31b posted:

Pretty good lines there, Kaine.

Agreed, and it'll never get any notice because it's not possible to fit his policy in sub-10 second soundbites.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

speng31b posted:

To be fair to Kaine, though, he's doing his job. He's opening up the talking points that all the advertising for the next week is lined up to hammer home. That's more valuable to the campaign than a VP debate.

I tend to agree. Kaine might not be chaos dunking on Pence for 90 minutes, but he's maintained a stable position and Pence hasn't had any knockout lines or quotable soundbites yet. That's an okay position for the campaign to be in going into the 2nd Presidential debate.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

How many undecided voters are really watching this though? If they're undecided at this point I can't imagine that they're terribly politically aware

Not many, despite the Arzying found in this thread. When 40%+ of undecided voters say they don't know who either VP nominee is, I don't believe that most people will turn in for the full 90 minutes here to find out. It's not memorable like the first Presidential debate.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What the gently caress do the emails have to do with anything?

They don't, and I'm happy to see Pence get stepped on before he could bullshit around them some more.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Didn't Pence refute this? Like, didn't he deny Trump said anything negative about NATO?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
For the record, this is the first time in either debate that abortion has been mentioned. 87 minutes into the Vice Presidential debate.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
"I try to spend as much of my time on my knees"

Did I hear a mic catch some freshman laugh at that?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
"That Mexican thing" - signature policy of Donald Trump, Republican nominee for President of the United States

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Society is decided on how it handles its aged and infirm

something a Republican said without thinking about it really

"nah but gently caress the syrian refugees tho" - Mike Pence, probably

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Taima posted:

But it's about sound bites, no one is watching this poo poo except us and r/thedonald.

Kaine is winning on that front and Pence is saying a lot of poo poo right now that will play poorly in the coverage of this debate.

This debate won't change anybody's mind, and it wasn't exactly easily digestible in quick clips and soundbites. Basically, a big nothing :burger:.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Pence is absolutely going to be judged the winner tonight, but how it all plays out in the next few days I don't know.

"He did well but *lie* *lie* *pants on fire* *clip of Trump from 2015 contradicting him* so it's a draw!"

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/783477762036232193

I didn't even notice this last night, but seriously?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey guys remember when Ted Cruz announced Carly Fiorina as his running mate in a final desperate attempt to force a brokered convention

I just remembered that right now and laughed a little

And then he punched his wife in the face a week later.

https://vine.co/v/ixwHw3T7Khz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Apraxin posted:

Trump continuing with the amazing minority outreach.

It's the pivot! :downs:

I love how he has to double check. It's Hispanics and Latinos, right? You're sure about that?

• Locked thread