Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm looking forwards to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

I'd argue that it's already too late to do something. By painting themselves into a corner as the party for white supremacy, they've effectively allowed the Dems to define themselves as the party for "everyone else", including whites that don't think racism is cool. By making open racists like Trump the face of their party, they've lost an entire generation of voters, most of which view themselves as Dems by default due to racial identity. I think the GOP can regain voters again by dropping the racial angle and focusing on suckering people in with libertarian bullshit, but it would be a drastic, painful realignment that would temporarily result in Dem dominance.

on the one hand, the gop should have rebranded towards liberal multicultural christianity in 2009

on the other hand, the tea party popped up and put basically every republican on an ideological watch list

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chinese Gordon posted:

Oh my god.

Surely, *surely* he cannot come back from this week. I mean, I know his lunatic fanbase will vote for him whatever, but how can anyone -regardless of their political views- look at his recent behaviour and not see that President Trump would be an very real danger to the safety of the nation?

he's long past the point of being able to come back. this week is just trump rolling around in his failure

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Let me just tell you now that being a server/barista in 99% of the country is a poo poo job that pays nothing

it really depends on where you work, how good you are at serving, and how physically attractive you are. serving doesn't pay well but you can crack $20/hr if you know how to pick out good restaurants and choice shifts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

So the top 5% of servers make under a median wage, what's your point exactly?

my point is that it's factually incorrect to say most servers don't get paid well. dismal wages are common in foodservice and it's highly based on luck but it's one of the better part time jobs you can get with zero education. god help you if you work at a chain or you're a lifer but if you're a decently attractive twentysomething with good people skills there are much worse jobs you can find for yourself

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 2, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

The postmark and return address suggested that it had been mailed from Trump Tower.

you can write whatever you want on an envelope for a return address, and then just mail it from a collection box in that area

an old trick to scam the mail system is to write your address as the sender, and you recipient address as the return address, and then put insufficient postage on the envelope so it is 'returned' to the person you wanted to send it to anyway :ssh:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

you can write whatever you want on an envelope for a return address, and then just mail it from a collection box in that area

an old trick to scam the mail system is to write your address as the sender, and you recipient address as the return address, and then put insufficient postage on the envelope so it is 'returned' to the person you wanted to send it to anyway :ssh:

as a point of trivia, the only building in the us which has its own zip code is the empire state building. so if you drop a letter in a box on the street outside of trump tower, or mail something from a box inside of trump tower, it would be the same to the postal service

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

Clinton up +5 in Florida is good news, I have no idea what's up with Ohio though

trump's singular focus on manufacturing jobs, nafta, etc. fall flat pretty much everywhere except the rust belt

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol that he's namedropping probable narcissist macarthur and controversial patton instead of, you know, eisenhower, who became president

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

macarthur and patton were totalitarian glory hounds willing to kill their own men to give themselves glory

are you surprised?

personally i dont even think it goes that deep, macarthur and patton would be the names you remember if your understanding of ww2 comes from vaguely paying attention to the history channel

also patton was a glory hound but he was pretty sympathetic to his soldiers pain and suffering, except if you were shell shocked of course. patton was a bastard but he had human emotions at least. macarthur was a total narcissist piece of poo poo tho

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheBigAristotle posted:

At the risk of sounding uninformed, isn't conventional wisdom that MacArthur was nuts and not a very good tactician?

macarthur was kind of nuts and, probably, was a narcissist. like for real

he was an ok general but by the time the korean war came around he had lost his touch and was too busy playing god emperor of japan to actually pay attention to that war, which he hosed up badly. macarthur was a much better administrator than he was general

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
halsey is on the idiot list for sailing his fleet into a typhoon and getting 800 sailors killed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i forgot he actually sailed his fleet into a typhoon twice

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I dumb to think that the race would be dead heat or even not in Hillary's favor if any of the "safe" Republican candidates ran?

there'd still be a big electoral college advantage in hillary's favor but people would be arzying even harder

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe switch it out to animal shelters. You know what I'm getting at though, right?

The one thing about the proposal to put them in schools working with kids is that it opens up the question "Is it safe to put someone with PTSD in a school?" The answer is obviously no, but maybe it'd actually lead to people taking the problem seriously instead of letting them kill themselves off 20 at a time.

animal shelters is a better idea than hanging out with young children but working at an animal shelter involves observing a lot of death and suffering, which also probably isn't good for vets with PTSD

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We just need to keep them from reentering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.

i mean the VA should definitely be involved in volunteer outreach to try and give a purpose to vets struggling with listlessness and inability to return to civilian life, but it needs to be something that is unquestionably productive for society as well as not stressful. and if we're looking for not stressful situations i'm sure we can think of better options than "kindergarten classroom" or "county dog pound". really just connecting with local volunteering groups or like, restocking books at the library, gardening on public property, volunteering with the elderly?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
celestialscribe i've had you on ignore forever because you're super boring and repetitive but if you're actually irl developing an anxiety problem then seeking negative attention like this is not going to help you get better, posting itt is probably making it worse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PenguinKnight posted:

MOUNTAIN RANGE OF DEBT.

HERE I AM IN THE ROCKY'S, DIGGING FOR GOLD

THERE IS NO GOLD.

ONLY

DEBT

there will be blood remake sounds awful

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Seems to be the go-to response for people. I have yet to find the joke that solves it.

"why so sad? it was a blast!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ash1138 posted:

I don't understand how any player in the NFL, who put a premium on being "tough" and "manly," can listen to Donald Trump and not realize that he's a whiny baby who makes excuses for his shortcomings.

turns out a lot of people are gullible as gently caress. pro sports players especially, to get to that level of play you have to dedicate yourself to football and physical performance full time which can easily leave you vulnerable to scammers, leeches, hangers on, and just people who want to mismanage your money into bad investments - this has happened so many times

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiohazrD posted:

is there any real reason to even have midterms? why not just sync everyone up on the same 4 year schedule?

its pretty difficult to elect people to 2 year house rep terms every 4 years but that might actually improve congress's efficiency so i say lets go for it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

i don't even get why that lady was yelling at her??? if that woman is bringing her kid to a trump rally, she's probably already in the pocket for trump.

Or did they just see a disabled kid and have a PTSD flashback about that time trump made fun of a disabled reporter

a significant portion of trump voters are just enraged and i'm sure at least one or two of them will automatically assume "disabled child in view -> paid for with my tax dollars -> yell at welfare queen"

people with anger problems and/or anxiety get set off over nothing, and trump is the anger candidate. moderate trump supporters who are turned off by this outrage definitely do not go to rallies so it's a self selection thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Yes please.

false alarm

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/783753676770963456

it's clear the choice is so-called, not pence. easily can be read as "pence was so obviously the best he wasn't even a choice"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

emdash posted:

or he's referencing the fact that he seemed to be forced to choose Pence at the time by his family and managers :tinfoil:

as much as we would all love to see trump disown pence that's not what is happening in that statement

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

At the risk of coming off really bad, this says a lot of how loving adamant this election that undecided voters want to stay undecided. Both candidates have high unfavorability, after all.

"sure, some people said that my disabled daughter was a wretched creature worthy of scorn. but some also said she was beautiful! i'm undecided, i just dont know!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if sanders had won the primary the media would be calling both sanders and trump crazy right now i'm a huge prick

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

A lot of younger women have sort of been convinced sexism is over, or they don't quite realize how serious/pervasive it is yet. I think part of it is that a lot of young people are still working lovely, minimum-wage jobs and they don't feel it's much different between the men and women there. Ten years down the line, when their male coworkers are managers and they're still manning the tills despite being more responsible and capable, they start to see a pattern. That's not a dimension that the cool, hip feminist discourse is focused on right now, but it's the sexism that grates on Democratic and Republican women alike, essentially as an axis independent of other political opinions.

but what about online interactions, though? imo if anything is convincing tweens/teens that sexism is real it's the internet/social media

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

As awful as that post is, RTJ's core demo is probably super white. I mean, it reeks of a fishmech post because he's technically correct while being a tone deaf moron.

killer mike's been around long before run the jewels. he used to hang out with outkast, t.i., and he was on that one bonecrusher song that was huge

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

That's exactly what I said. Nailed it. 100% Gold Star, etc.

I know, Killer Mike owns.

its a bit weird to accuse him of having too many white fans as a way of backing up the argument that sanders fished around for a token. killer mike is a legit kook and sanders probably just appreciated the unexpected b-celeb endorsement

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Too bad country isn't so great anymore.

what most americans think of as country is about the same as thinking the bee gees are rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJL1iDkF3OM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I would've labeled this as blue grass, rather than country. I dunno if there's a meaningful difference.

bluegrass is a subgenre of country, also called american roots music. top 40 country is often called nashville sound or country pop, it's a blend of country themes and instruments with soft rock. jimmy buffet is barely not a country artist, just barely

the new hot thing in radio country is country rap

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh yeah and this is pretty mind blowing

who is the highest charting and most successful country pop artist right now? taylor swift

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

rest was a bit like a hammer but otoh when you're a country music star i figure a lot of people aren't gonna get it unless you make it very clear

yeah unlike that subtle pop music like, uh, um

Doctor Butts posted:

80's arena rock is harder than modern country music. I don't see the comparison.

its what dads listen to while they pretend to be young again

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the intricate artistry and subdued playfulness of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

the original point is that if you're making a social critique, you either need:
1. Some subtlety, a la everything Springsteen has ever written that would make your racist dad mad if he realized what he was actually singing
OR
2. Some goddamn bite

This doesn't mean Robert Plant can't sing about how big his dick is. he can do that

it's really stupid to accuse popular music of not being subtle. that is the point of popular music

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

plz dont pull out posted:

I used to be one of those "anything but rap and country" people when I was an idiot teenager, but when you open up you'd be surprised at what you find sometimes.

statement of elitism/racism aside, "anything but rap and country" is based on the crap that ends up on top play radio. i'm sure there are already kids who think that rock from the 60's-80's is nothing but the same five classic rock staples

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keyser S0ze posted:

I was just about to say that same thing after hearing bro-country for hours one day that my electrician was blasting. It reminded me of 80's hair band anthems but instead of stripper poles, jack daniels and fast cars it's light beer, flags and pickup truckshair bands are still better

hair metal? don't be racist

glam metal, please

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

rock is basically gonna die with people born before 2000

there's this one dumb kids react video with whatever new song metallica put out and one of the kids is holding his ears and complaining that it's too loud and harsh

that's our future

i saw that same video, that kid turned out liking post black album metallica

agreed otherwise

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Only Good Eagle Was Joe Walsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

they are, but we're talking modern wuss rock metallica being too loud and harsh

there were a couple kids who immediatly liked thrash metallica so There Is Still Hope For The Children

• Locked thread