Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
While Michigan at this point is leaning blue, this is a pretty damning piece by Nolan Finley, a known conservative columnist for the Detroit News.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/nolan-finley/2016/10/01/finley-trump-trying-lose/91418158/

Trump hosed up big with his 4 am tweet, and it's showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HPanda posted:

As much as I would anticipate 3 am, there is no way in hell they let him have his phone tonight.

As in, legitimately would not be surprised if Conway for real ripped it out of his hands and stomped on it. They do not want him fanning these flames.

The problem is, Donald Trump does what Donald Trump wants. That man shouldn't have had a smart phone since he won the Republican primaries. Flip phone with no internet connection? Fine. But he will do what he wants and everyone else can go to hell. This is DJT, and it's how he does business. I'm sure that man has his iPhone 7 or S7 and he's doing whatever the hell he wants, because who the hell will tell him otherwise? This is why he is where he is. He is used to being coddled and told yes by everyone around him for the past 52 years of his life (or more). He's an egotistical, self-centered, mollycoddled, daddy's boy and always has been. He is such a disgrace to our country.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chelb posted:

I believe the Trump owns an android phone, so probably an S7.

Well I use Android as well, so I guess I should make America grrrrrrrrrrreat again!

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cant cook creole bream posted:

Even though the rally she had there a few minutes ago was impressive, Ohio is probably a lost cause.
Ohio is a swingstate in the sense that they are voting for whoever promises the most change in Ohio because no one wants to live in Ohio as it is now. It's filled to the brim with old white men with no higher education.

Eh, gently caress Ohio. Seriously, I'm so loving sick of that state determining the direction of this country. The past 20 years we've relied on that state. With VA leaning blue now and NC as a swing state, OH is no longer the firewall it once was. Good riddance I say.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus christ people. This is gonna be like a NASA announcement (for Trump supporters). Huge erections and anticipation and a huge loving let down. Assange doesn't have poo poo, probably just some old documents showing some gray area dealings with shady people. This won't sink her campaign and won't shift the polls in any direction. Stop Arzying people.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

NASA announcements are rad as hell tho

Rad, yes. But to the average CNN/Fox News/MSNBC watcher, every time NASA announces something they immediately think aliens from another planet. These are Trump supporters. They probably think Assange has footage of Hillary saying "gently caress those Banghazi assholes, let them die! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!", when in reality, it'll just be some documents showing some very convoluted dealings or some poo poo.

TheGreatGnocchi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 4, 2016

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

It's a fun bit of data, but not really indicative of anything. Obama bombed the first debate hard and came back swinging. That's not the case with Hillary's first debate, as we all saw.

Given Trump's past behavior it's still unlikely he'll be able to adapt in the second debate, but the media's always bristling for a comeback narrative and the race still has time to shift. Five weeks to go, and three weeks back we were all neck-deep in pneumonia doldrums.

Oh, the media will do anything and everything to write a comeback narrative. They get a loving erection for it. I almost guarantee they will write that narrative after next debate, even if Trumps performance is as terrible as the first one. The media does not want to lose viewers to a "boring" blowout race so they will do everything in their power to make it appear that it's anyone's game. Expect Trump to be written as beating Hilary next debate, even if he isn't seen as the clear winner. Expectations are even lower than they were going into the first debate.

If Trump even slightly improves up his previous performance, the media will say "Trump Shows He's Presidential", or "Trump: The Comeback Kid!" or "Don't Count Him Out Yet!" or "Trump Exceeds Expectations; Shows He Has What It Takes!" or "Trump Takes On The Big Dogs!" or some other bullshit narrative. The media does NOT want to see another bloodbath we saw last week, it will mean even lower ratings for them. The media is all about keeping viewers nowadays, not about reporting news. They provide news entertainment, not news information.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kaine keeps talking over Pence in a bad way. Pence delivered the "There you go again." line, circa Ronald Regan 1980 and got no response. This debate is as bad as I had imagined it would be.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

speng31b posted:

I don't think Kaine is blowing it. Seems like when he does respond out of turn, his points are clear and relevant.

If I could even hear what he's saying over Pence continuing to ramble.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

illcendiary posted:

I'm excited for the 538 nowcast to drop to HRC 53%

Holy poo poo Arzy, calm the gently caress down. VP debates rarely move any polls.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In 1988 Dan Quayle had, what many would consider, one of the worst VP debate performances in modern U.S. history. George H.W. Bush went on to win 400+ EV's. VP debates don't mean poo poo. They don't move polls and many people don't watch them. Not to mention, this debate will be overshadowed by Hurricane Matthew and in five days, DEFINITELY overshadowed by the next Presidential debate. Please don't start freaking out over Kaine's performance.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just got home, someone fill me on the debate so far

Kaine is interrupting a lot, Pence is spouting bullshit while sounding calm. Nothing is changing. Pretty boring overall.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TyrantWD posted:

Kaine got schooled. This was the same Pence we have seen on the trail since the day he was picked, and Kaine was just completely ill prepared to deal with him.

People are going to excuse away this performance and say no one cares about the VP debate, but a lot of those suburban Republicans that Trump has lost to Hillary who tuned in would see the brand of Republican that they used to like in the past in Pence, and Kaine came across as flailing and weak.

No one is going to care about fact checking the next day. When the voters were watching, Kaine hosed up big time when he should have had been ready to nail an evasive lying Pence to the wall.

Except Hillary is running for president not Kaine. In the end, nobody will care. Please point out a time where the VP debates had a significant affect on the race.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Absolutely not. By the time the VP debates happened, our economy was already plunging into recession due to economic policies passed down by Republicans. McCain was gasping for air at that point. Additionally, Sarah Palin was seen as "folksy" and "charming" and many polls saw her as equal or even beating Biden in the debate. So try again before pulling bullshit out of your rear end.

Here is a post VP debate poll from 2008. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-poll-presidential-race-tightens/

TheGreatGnocchi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 5, 2016

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

LATimes is T+4 again. That thing has not moved from Trump +4-5 in 10 days.

This poll, like many lovely polls, will move towards Hillary in November, barring any sort of catastrophic event for her campaign That always seems to be the case with outlier polls. Well except Rasmussen in 2012, they dropped the ball on that one (I believe they had Romney +2 the night before the election).

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Inb4 this is canceled because Toyota threaten to drop their sponsorship.

Also, can y'all stop acting like this hurricane is a political topic and not a potential tragedy? People will die from it, there are bigger things at stake and focusing on the politics of it is insensitive.

While the hurricane is/will be/may be a tragedy, you are on a political message board where people talk about politics. Why not discuss it? Do you honestly believe this storm will not be politicized by both candidates? National tragedies are always politicized whether it's proper or not. Shall we bury our heads in the sand and pretend neither candidate will try to politicize this? If you want to talk about the tragedy of the storm go to GBS.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

gently caress this false equivilance.

I don't see any equivalence here. One shows Trump being the petulant child he is, the other shows a legitimate argument presented by Hillary. Remember, 43-44% of the electorate will follow Trump no matter what. What matters now is how the ~ 10% of dumb gently caress undecideds perceive things. Trump just being himself is ruining his standing with said undecided voters.

That being said, was I the only one that wanted to sucker punch every single undecided that asked a question? I seriously have a hard time fathoming that anyone can be so incredibly naive as to be undecided at this point in the race. Hillary and Trump are so contrasting, how can anyone at this point, with 3rd party options, be "undecided". The whole thing is either a bullshit ploy, or people really are that disconnected and stupid. Sadly, it's probably the latter.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

There is no way the Muslim woman asking about Islamophobia was genuinely undecided.

Which goes against the theme of the town hall. It's supposed to be all undecided, un-biased voters asking questions, but some of them were clearly fitting the electorate for one of the two candidates.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

Not fighting for Ohio is still a valid approach but... yeah. And remember the pre-first debate Arzying? :allears:

The Arzying pre-first debate was a bit valid. Looking back at the 2012 election, everyone saw Romney as a robotic Wall Street shill that in no possible way could outsmart Obama. After that debate, Romney beat Obama almost as bad as Hillary bested Trump after the first debate. He appeared human, warm, and genuine to many people and Obama seemed flustered and disorganized. While I understand Romney is no Trump, it was plausible that had Trump stayed on message and not come across like the arrogant prick he his, he could have come out on top. Sadly for him and his constituents, he failed to control his massive ego and rage. If Trump had a Romney style debate, coming across calm, collected, and human, he would be in a dead heat or beating Hillary. Now though, that dude is hosed barring a massive Hillary meltdown, which simply won't happen.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ash Crimson posted:

So what's the verdict on the debate?

It will change nothing and Trump will continue his downfall.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

People itt are deeply underestimating Clinton's strategy. Knockout blows are unnecessary. Trump only created more horrible press for himself by talking. The poo poo coming out of his mouth was worse than last time, even.

Exactly this. Hillary has an enormous team of strategists working day and night psychoanalyzing Trump and deciding what the best course of action is to defeat him. Millions of dollars are being spent to pay these experts to do just that. All Hillary needs to do at this point is act presidential, give her stump speech, and let Trump implode into himself. Her team aren't idiots. They weigh the risks of attempting "gotcha" moments and simply tell Hillary to stay on message and keep her cool. Trump will ruin himself. Clearly this strategy is working.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Not trying to derail this thread about the 2016 election, and I apologize if this isn't appropriate. But I was just looking back at the 1992 election with Clinton vs Bush. I am amazed that WV, KY, and TN went blue, but VA, FL, and NC all went red. What the hell changed in the demographics in the past 20 years that made the former become solid GOP and the latter become leaning Dem or toss ups?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

freebooter posted:

If you think that's crazy, go even further back. The red/blue divide is really a modern phenomenon. In 1984 Reagan won every single state except Minnesota.

I just find it interesting that in the past 5 elections, or 16 years, the map really hasn't changed all that much. Hillary will most likely win Obama's map circa 2008 (sans IN) but there hasn't been a big swing in either direction. Other than VA going blue recently, we never really see a big swing in either direction like elections from the past. Is bigotry and religion really that much of a mainstay dividing factor now? There really isn't a state other than Virginia, maybe NC, that has truly had a shift towards either party.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lozzle posted:

Ken Bone is doing an AMA on Reddit.

I hope Ken Bone remains a thing after this election.

He'll go the way of Joe the Plumber.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I guess since we're doing the map predictions, this is mine. Hillary narrowly wins AZ and IN much like Obama did with NC and IN in 08'. Trump is in a downward spiral and I feel polls tend to underestimate the minority vote (this isn't scientific, it's just my rationale for such a crazy map).

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, I forgot to post my map.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Stretch Marx posted:

Wait I thought Egg McMuffin's running mate was a woman.

Yeah, it's supposed to be MIndy Finn?

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Haha holy poo poo, the Arzying is out of control right now. This is what, the first negative narrative Hillary has had since the general election began? Calm the gently caress down. She's still going to win by a comfortable margin between ~5-6%, the only people who still haven't made up their minds on who to vote for are the mouth-breathers that don't pay attention to anything in the news cycle anyways. If polls are correct, Trump would literally need to win almost all the undecideds to even stand a chance, which is not going to happen. Take a break and carve a pumpkin or something, christ you people have terrible anxiety.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

foobardog posted:

I don't want it to happen, but it really does seem that this election will be called 269-269

No, it won't. The only thing that will happen after this is that Hillary will probably win the same EV's as Obama in 2012. You guys are irrationally freaking out (tired of the word Arzying), over the fact that she won't win in a huge loving landslide. Calm the gently caress down people.

TheGreatGnocchi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 28, 2016

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

people in this thread need therapy.

Seriously. Some people here are as bad as Freepers, just the opposite side of the spectrum.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Has the irrational freaking out subsided yet? Has this thread finally come to its senses and realized that most of the electorate couldn't give two shits about this "reopened investigation"? I remember in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy was gonna hit the Northeast right around election time. Holy poo poo did the thread blow up. "Romney is gonna win because inner-city voters in the northeast will be flooded out and not be able to vote!!!!" or "Romney will probably win the popular vote now because of the hurricane!!!!!!" I can't feel mad though, I freaked out big time during the 2008 election after the "God drat America" video came out. But guess what? It changed nothing. And you know what? This "reopened investigation" will change nothing. Well, it might make the polls a bit closer to 2012 standards, but unless Trump can turn NH and PA, he is done, and that isn't going to happen. So go out this weekend, dress up like something silly or scary (I'm gonna be a banana), and relax. Hillary has this election and this whole narrative change in the media isn't going to sway many people either way.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

freckle posted:

Look at you trying to be reasonable. Hillary Clinton literally had a server with some electronic mail on it and then her aide used her husbands laptop to check her own email account.

The fascist, sexual predator, Donald Trump, will absolutely get 400+ EVs now.

I thought it was adorable today hearing a Trump surrogate on CNN say "We're gonna win this election, with or without this investigation! New Hampshire is ours now as is Nevada and Florida. We're also making inroads on Virginia!!" Don Lemon answered him with "How many energy drinks have you had today?" The fact that his surrogates think VA is even a possibility is hilarious. RCP has them at 8.0 points ahead right now, that'd be like Hillary's campaign saying they are hopeful about South Carolina going blue. Trump is done. His campaign is done.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

The ABC tracking poll is weird - down to 47-45, from the high of 50-38 last week, and it doesn't include yesterday at all. What could have caused a 10 point swing in a week? I don't get it at all.

Outliers, randomness, general silliness. Let's be honest, Hillary never had a 12 point advantage, that'd be like Reagan vs. Mondale proportions. They're just leveling out like most pollsters will as Nov. 8th approaches. Hillary will probably have a 4% or 5% spread come election day, which is where RCP is placing their mean these days. The swing is a bit odd, but the poll is more in tuned to the rest of the polls, albeit a bit on the low side for Hillary. Unless Rasmussen show +10 Trump or LA Times shows the same, there is nothing to irrationally freak out about.

Disclaimer: I'm so loving sick of the term "Arzy-ing". It was funny in 2008, now it's just overused and stupid.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Tracking polls are absolutely worthless and you should be ignoring them

Thank you. :smugdon:

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol people don't give a poo poo about this. Hillary is gonna win and we are all gonna continue on with our lives.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cyphr555 posted:

This actually got me curious about early voting policies across all of the states; I found this map which as far as I can tell is accurate for 2016. Someone please correct me if it's out of date.

Hmm, I'm in Oregon and while we do have the option to mail-in, the past couple years I just drop my ballot in a ballot box. Also, I think you can even vote in a booth on election day if you want.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite part about election night, all the meltdowns. My favorite of all time is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw This meltdown after the 2012 election is worth listening to for the 20+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skanker posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, this is too perfect. Can this be real?

Oh yes, this is real. When Trump loses, these will be all over the place. I'm gonna be refreshing freerepublic feverishly after they call NC on election night.

• Locked thread