Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nessus posted:

The problem here is that Biden's main audience appeal is to... people who are largely on the Trump train as a demographic, so this would be an election over white man issues, and I suspect Trump would have the advantage there. I also think there'd be more of a "they're both clowns" attitude. I also doubt Diamond Joe would be getting the "everyone who isn't a white man" vote quite as decisively, since while Trump has chased them away, Hillary has been able at receiving them.

Like IMO you'd be handing over "no misogyny malus" for "every other advantage Hillary has."
When various polling places were looking at a hypothetical Biden v Trump matchup before Biden decided not to run, the average spread was something like Biden +12.5.

And that's obviously before all the poo poo that's leaked out about Trump since. It would be a 400+ EV slaughter by Biden. It wouldn't be a reasonably close election by any metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazy Ted posted:

When various polling places were looking at a hypothetical Biden v Trump matchup before Biden decided not to run, the average spread was something like Biden +12.5.

And that's obviously before all the poo poo that's leaked out about Trump since. It would be a 400+ EV slaughter by Biden.

Remember that back in those days they showed very similar numbers for Clinton, as neither primary was even settled yet.

I say with the crazy hyperpartisanship nowaways Biden would probably be about where Clinton is now. Doing a bit better with men, a bit worse with women. The media would also be playing them both up as 'gaffe machines' despite the fact that a Biden gaffe is 'MALARKEY!' and a Trump gaffe is 'Grab 'em by the pussy'.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Crazy Ted posted:

And that's obviously before all the poo poo that's leaked out about Trump since. It would be a 400+ EV slaughter by Biden. It wouldn't be a reasonably close election by any metric.

i'm not convinced that the media and the republicans wouldn't suddenly remember the poo poo that got thrown at him in his 1988 presidential campaign.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

That's not what the thing you quoted says. It's SEPTA saying they'll go to court to compel the union to work that day.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Kinda hosed up when you think about it that Democratic bastions of PA and NY both have no early voting whatsoever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berserker posted:

Kinda hosed up when you think about it that Democratic bastions of PA and NY both have no early voting whatsoever.

Michigan doesn't, either.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Remember that back in those days they showed very similar numbers for Clinton, as neither primary was even settled yet.

I say with the crazy hyperpartisanship nowaways Biden would probably be about where Clinton is now. Doing a bit better with men, a bit worse with women. The media would also be playing them both up as 'gaffe machines' despite the fact that a Biden gaffe is 'MALARKEY!' and a Trump gaffe is 'Grab 'em by the pussy'.
I honestly think you're underselling the fact that - justly or unjustly doesn't matter - lots of people hate the Clintons, want them out of public life, and dislike them to the point that they'll believe just about any manner of horseshit people say about them.

Joe Biden is largely liked and respected by people who aren't TEA PARTY RARGH SMASH NO COMPROMISE KILL, and as result you'd be far more likely to see a sections of R's and R-leaning voters who would be willing to put up with Biden in the White House and a Republican congress as a check on his powers.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

This actually got me curious about early voting policies across all of the states; I found this map which as far as I can tell is accurate for 2016. Someone please correct me if it's out of date.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crazy Ted posted:

If you think the Republicans would have somehow treated him or Bernie with respect and deference, I will gesture meaningfully towards Hillary Clinton's spouse. I think these higher numbers merely reflect "name recognition, have not yet been conditioned to hate."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazy Ted posted:

I honestly think you're underselling the fact that - justly or unjustly doesn't matter - lots of people hate the Clintons, want them out of public life, and dislike them to the point that they'll believe just about any manner of horseshit people say about them.

Joe Biden is largely liked and respected by people who aren't TEA PARTY RARGH SMASH NO COMPROMISE KILL, and as result you'd be far more likely to see a sections of R's and R-leaning voters who would be willing to put up with Biden in the White House and a Republican congress as a check on his powers.

I just don't think that would last the second he got into a position where he could threaten their power.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I just don't think that would last the second he got into a position where he could threaten their power.
At most, you would be seeing less vile filth from the right - not none, but less - because Biden is "merely" an evil wicked Democrat fool who must be opposed and destroyed, rather than all of that AND ALSO a woman or a black.

The SCOTUS situation would be exactly and completely the same.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

At most, you would be seeing less vile filth from the right - not none, but less - because Biden is "merely" an evil wicked Democrat fool who must be opposed and destroyed, rather than all of that AND ALSO a woman or a black.

The SCOTUS situation would be exactly and completely the same.

I don't know, they're so primed for vile filth now. I think it's more likely we'd see them drag a good man through hell. The GOP campaign machinery isn't really geared to do anything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't know, they're so primed for vile filth now. I think it's more likely we'd see them drag a good man through hell. The GOP campaign machinery isn't really geared to do anything else.

I'm incredibly impressed with how Clinton's kept her composure this entire time. I'd have broken down long ago.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nessus posted:

If you think the Republicans would have somehow treated him or Bernie with respect and deference, I will gesture meaningfully towards Hillary Clinton's spouse. I think these higher numbers merely reflect "name recognition, have not yet been conditioned to hate."
Of course they wouldn't treat him with respect, but treating him like poo poo probably wouldn't garner the same acceptance that it does when they go after Hillary Clinton.

And they really do have a special extra-high level of animus for the Clintons. Remember the Clintons were the people voted #2 and #3 in the "Most Evil People of the 1900's" poll - behind only Adolf Hitler - in a poll of New York Post readers. They're like the Brown Note for Republicans.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 1, 2016

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

See: John Kerry.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also plenty of photos like this

which would allow the Trump and the Republicans and the news to do "Both sides BOTH SIDES" without the unholy levels of pissed-off women backlash they get when they blame Bill's adultery on Hillary

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Night10194 posted:

It has no early voting.

Why are there states without early voting in 2016?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Washington intended for presidents to revert to their highest previously-held title and relinquish "President" anyway. If Obama actually became a supreme court justice (which means Michelle's either dead or exiled to Mars, so let's not root for it), I imagine he'd be Justice Obama except for specific ex-president contexts like White House photo ops.

No no no, in an ideal world Justice Obama would be nominated by President Michelle Obama

And then after 8 years we'd have two Justice Obamas

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I'm incredibly impressed with how Clinton's kept her composure this entire time. I'd have broken down long ago.

And that's one of the reasons she should be president. Also if her storied dry sense of humor is to be believed, I am ready for how she's going to deal with the rampant obstructionism she's going to receive.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if they would have gone so low and mention Biden's son's death. Like it seems too far, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they did it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spacebump posted:

Same reason there are deed-restricted communities in the South.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

I'd say primarily to depress minority/poor turnout, but there are a bunch of blue states without early voting too so :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bobjr posted:

I wonder if they would have gone so low and mention Biden's son's death. Like it seems too far, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they did it.

It's Trump. He'd mock a man over his grief at his son's death in seconds.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Those people who hate the Clintons are the same people as the TEA PARTY RARGH SMASH NO COMPROMISE KILL people. The Venn Diagram between those two groups is just a circle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

QuarkJets posted:

Those people who hate the Clintons are the same people as the TEA PARTY RARGH SMASH NO COMPROMISE KILL people. The Venn Diagram between those two groups is just a circle.

Also they make up way more of the GOP than people liked to pretend before this mess.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Night10194 posted:

If we had a time machine and put 2016 Trump in the 1960's he'd have mocked Kennedy for being weak because of the way his head burst open so easily when Oswald's bullets hit him.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I read somewhere while I was at my Rheumatologist that Texans actually hate the dumb loving border wall idea.

That border militia article in Mother Jones was composed of a bunch of ex-military of Colorado that traveled down to the border to play border patrol and "shoot beaners".

People who live near the border don't care one way or another about a stupid loving wall.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Crazy Ted posted:

If we had a time machine and put 2016 Trump in the 1960's he'd have mocked Kennedy for being weak because of the way his head burst open so easily when Oswald's bullets hit him.

he will also blame it on Hillary.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

People who live near the border don't care one way or another about a stupid loving wall.
To be fair, a longer wall means more opportunities for cross-wall volleyball matches.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cyphr555 posted:

This actually got me curious about early voting policies across all of the states; I found this map which as far as I can tell is accurate for 2016. Someone please correct me if it's out of date.

Hmm, I'm in Oregon and while we do have the option to mail-in, the past couple years I just drop my ballot in a ballot box. Also, I think you can even vote in a booth on election day if you want.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bobjr posted:

He would have ridden Biden over this, probably called him a pussy for raising his sons alone, ask if he was secretly a queer... You know he would've, it's Donald Trump. It is even hilariously possible he would have done better at the debates, because Trump's own misogyny, I have to guess, factored into his obvious plan to get coked up and bull-rush dominantly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Night10194 posted:

Not to Biden's face mind you, it'd just be like the situation with his meeting with Peña Nieto and the wall all over again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FCKGW posted:

That border militia article in Mother Jones was composed of a bunch of ex-military of Colorado that traveled down to the border to play border patrol and "shoot beaners".

That was my perception after living in the southwest as well. People who actually live near the border don't give a gently caress, with some loud exceptions. Usually when you hear someone talking about illegal immigrants coming across they border they live in Nebraska or some other state where it makes no sense to be super concerned about the Mexican border

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crazy Ted posted:

Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical soviet terrorism

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Except Z-killer beat him to it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I read somewhere while I was at my Rheumatologist that Texans actually hate the dumb loving border wall idea.

I saw a documentary once, I can't remember which, that interviewed people who lived very close to the border. It turns out that a national border is not a particularly straight or flat kind of thing, so the wall ended up intersecting peoples land and in some cases, stranding Americans and their homes on the Mexican side of the wall. A clusterfuck to say the least.

edit: This is where wall sections exist obviously.

Here's a story about it, can't say anything to it's quality.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/28/nation/la-na-texas-fence-20110228

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 1, 2016

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite part about election night, all the meltdowns. My favorite of all time is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw This meltdown after the 2012 election is worth listening to for the 20+ minutes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Actually by mid-October in 2015 the spread between the two was just a few points.

Just for shits and giggles I went and searched some polling indexes, and at the same time as the last set of Biden v Trump polling, the set that had him at a +12.5 (October 17, 2015 - the spread across the polls used was as low as Biden +9 and as high as Biden +21), Hillary was only a +1.5 (on average) in a hypothetical matchup against Donald Trump. She'd been a +19 in July, but it looks like that once everyone realized that The Donald was really serious about the whole running for President thing those numbers tightened up really fast.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 1, 2016

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Hmm, I'm in Oregon and while we do have the option to mail-in, the past couple years I just drop my ballot in a ballot box. Also, I think you can even vote in a booth on election day if you want.

You can do that in Washington too if you want to avoid a stamp. There are a few booths with voting machines here too, but they're really only meant for people with disabilities who can't mark a ballot by hand. Otherwise, well, who wouldn't want to just fill out a ballot at home?

If you're blind or need to for some other reason and don't want to use a booth, they also have ways you can vote over the internet.

The point of the map though is that the state mails you a ballot and the default is for you to mail it back. Anything else is extra (like absentee or early voting is extra in other places).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

chumbler posted:

And that's one of the reasons she should be president. Also if her storied dry sense of humor is to be believed, I am ready for how she's going to deal with the rampant obstructionism she's going to receive.

The only reason why she should be president is because she's running against Trump, who's clinically insane. I can't believe anyone can genuinely admire or respect her in any way whatsoever.

Edit. Are we hosed already? Do you guys feel HRC will lose now?

• Locked thread