Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

Most insane conspiracy theory I have heard all year.

The woman who was on stage debating Trump was not even Hillary at all. It was another body double.

I felt sick reading that. It's the stupidest opinion I could possibly imagine. An actress who can convince millions of people to be a well known public figure for several hours while also memorizing countless political facts, keeping her calm around Donnie and baiting him so much, would be by far the most competent person alive.

I absolutely lost all political respect from the person who told me that. Like I can't even argue anything anymore. If he is so far down the hole, nothing I could ever say to him would make the slightest dent into his convictions.

I've read countless political articles and tweets and sometimes even their comment sections. But the stupidest conspiracy came from a personal friend. He's not even an uneducated blue collar worker. We recently got out college degrees.
I kind of hate him now. :smith:

Yeah if your friend can actually, unironically and sincerely believe in that he's kind of an idiot, I have to say. And I understand why you'd say you kind of hate him now. That's a pretty loving willfully (or very unwillfully) stupid thing to believe no matter how you slice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

His source was this video where the guy says the opposite in the first 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeEttm2CF4

Wow. This says a lot. That whole "I've been staring at these for 16 hours" bit should be a red flag to any logical, not stupid person that this video is made by a delusional loon seeing things that are not there. Clear case of confirmation bias: you start with an insane assumption, then only dig for evidence that supports the foregone conclusion.

Don't try to use this logic with your friend though. He's stupid.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

Considering how much of a monumental idiot Farage is I consider this to be a good development. It certainly doesn't indicate Trump is looking for a nuanced or more articulate performance.

Is Trump actually going to sit and do the work though? Reports came out that he basically couldn't stay focused for more than a little while and got bored with the Ailes-led prep because he sincerely thinks he doesn't need it.

So that, if true, is amazing. Because if you've seen Game Change you know even SARAH PALIN was able to be coached for a debate.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

No that was Boris.

Farage was the one who left England, and then suddenly and mysteriously got several job offers from the Russian government that'd have him set for life.

This shouldn't turn into a full derail probably but if I were a pro-Brexit voter I would feel more than a little strange for how those two guys basically pushed this through by using white fear of immigrants to squeak by and make Brexit a reality that Britain now has to deal with and then both basically stepped down and ceased being a part of what comes next. Really, you vehemently want Britain to go it alone, but drop out of politics now that the actual work of making that so is about to begin? Did you truly want this result or were you just demagoguing and hoping to continue to be an obstructionist oval office when it failed, then had no plan B when it didn't fail?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

there's a lot of pro-brexit voters who regret their vote because they were voting under the assumption that it'd never happen and they just wanted to make a Statement.

Regrexit, yeah I saw that. Evidently that included the two politicians pushing for it!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah when Assange was blowing the lid off of what was going on in Iraq without our knowledge I was more supportive of him but that was all because of Chelsea Manning basically sacrificing her own freedom to deliver Assange that info to take credit for, so now as I know more about him and have seen him interviewed a few times, I realize he's an egomaniacal shitheel. So it figures he thinks a US Gov't official joking about droning him is some huge lid-blowing revelation. rear end in a top hat. Who in the Pentagon hasn't wanted to drone him by now?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

You know, I am not a Hillary fan by any stretch and I did vote for Bernie in the primaries, but I find it difficult to disagree with any of this. I was still hoping it would not end up being Trump as the republican nominee but there you go. I guess things play out as they're meant to.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Highly humourous, the idea that somehow Trump will just do better at the second debate, just because? What that we've seen from him thus far even remotely shows that he is capable of such self reflection? He spent two weeks whining about how unfair the last debate was, and you think somehow he's buckling down and prepping extra hard this time? Based on what evidence?

Never underestimate this man's ability to keep finding new bottom below what you thought was his bottom.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Oh i see, thanks. I dont watch the third hour (or any hour) of the today show so i didnt know anything about the guy before this week. I thought NBC just wanted to claim a white male scalp they had power over. Got any examples of B.Bush being a creepo? Im sure somebody has made a list.

John Oliver already did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnsgqU80eIw

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Furnaceface posted:

I would not be surprised if mental illness/poor mental health were approaching epidemic levels in many western nations. We still treat it as taboo and refuse to talk because it makes us feel uncomfortable. Id vote so hard for a candidate pushing mental health reform for the healthcare system or even mental health awareness at this point.

Though Im probably biased because mental illness runs in my family and I spent some months doing my co-op placement for school at a hospital for mental health and addictions which was a really big eye opener.

Really wish this got more attention. I had a very close family member hang themselves last year even though he threatened it for months and everyone around him was 24/7 trying to get him through his issues with no help at all from the "mental heath care system." He was a 19 year old Medi-Cal qualifying person with no money so of course access to such care is still jack poo poo besides "72 hour psych holds" which never did poo poo and provides only acute care. It just makes it easy for the depressed person to blow it off because ultimately you or someone close to you has to go to the care, it never is provided to you or made easy to get. I could say more but that's enough for now. But yeah it touches so many things, like most of our recent mass shootings, that you'd think actual, true mental health care reform would, SHOULD, be a big issue. It's barely on the radar.

Hollismason posted:

Our biggest problem in the United States is the stigmatization of mental illness and depression. A national campaign for depression and awareness would be effective at reducing the suicide rate. However, because our society sees mental illness as a almost failing on the part of the person with the mental illness and not a debilitating disease we don't.

Because we're assholes.

Also this. Stigma was a big excuse thrown up by my family member so it definitely helps feed the mental spiral inward that precedes suicidal depression quite handily.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2016

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Right on, dude. It does behoove us to step outside our own situations and try to put ourselves in other people's shoes. Coming out of high school I was a Libertarian but much has changed since then. What I've seen in our politics today is that people simply refuse to change their perspective, refuse to consider another person's challenges, and refuses to believe the same world could be so different a few streets over. You've been able to put yourself in someone else's situation and were willing to expand your perspective, and that's good. America needs more people like that.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trump's campaign ending with a whimper suits me just fine, thanks. He stopped being funny months ago. I don't want there to be any doubt on the 8th, I want him and his neo-fascist fans humiliated and ground into to the dirt so hard that they slink back into the shadows in disgrace. No more drama necessary.

This. I dislike much of what Hillary stands for as a person, politician and president but outright white nationalist hate mongering, conspiracy-fueled bullshit in the form of Trump needs to be set on fire and burned until the ashes are dust that is swept away before I'll feel any better. Something tells me I will be disappointed. She needs to win by such a margin as to make talk of "RIGGED!" look as crazy to the average person as it is, at least in the forms being bandied about by Trumpsters.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TheBigAristotle posted:

Gander Mountain with the brilliant idea

I love how they claim Obama spent 8 years taking guns and they don't see how that contradicts ads like these ahead of a likely Hillary presidency. How can you stock up for her when President Blackenstein already took them all away?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Svanja posted:

+1 for Hillary in Texas (Guadalupe County). This morning our polling place was very busy and for the first time in three elections, I saw more Hispanic and black people than white voters in the short time I was there. As I was leaving after using the voting machine, I couldn't help but leave grinning. A nice black lady was entering the building as I was walking out and she said in a low voice, "It feels good doesn't it?" and I exclaimed "Oh god it sure does" and we both started laughing and she commented that she couldn't help but see my huge smile and we both fist pumped the air and continued on our way.

Today has been a very good day.

Yeah some idiot at work told me only people with special circumstances can vote early in TX. This person was wrong. Gonna try to vote this week, maybe on Friday, got a polling place right near my house.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Goatman Sacks posted:

"I had a bad life that's why I shot that Iraqi girl after raping her"

Regardless of what life circumstances caused you to devolve into an animal, you're still an animal.

You need to offer up proof for this horseshit or STFU. Just my opinion. I have my issues with how the military is used in this country, how force is projected, and how we treat our soldiers who are destroyed by war and can't make a life when they come home, but I am NOT going to start calling them animals. That is a very serious charge and cannot be levelled in whole or in part to anyone without hard evidence and a conviction in some sort of courtroom for such offenses.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Goatman Sacks posted:

Ah yes, convictions for war crimes, something the US absolutely does.

So you have no proof for anything you say. Good to know. /ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
The sheer, unfiltered stupid that this election has unleashed into the popular sphere cannot be quantified by scientific measurement...

This election cannot end soon enough.

• Locked thread