Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure what makes NMS innovative

I think you have to admit it revolutionized games marketing.

It is also the first game to be refundable on the PSN, another big innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

I'm replaying Dark Souls 3 (aka Dark Souls III) in preparation for the new DLC (and to enjoy my new video card) and it is still gooooood.

I've learnt that my playstyle, being slow and exploratory, prefers to play offline. Online doesn't offer anything I'm interested in, even "Hurrah for skeleton, therefore skeleton" messages aren't worth the hassle of being invaded by someone who is probably better than me at the game

Are you a member of the dev team?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shindragon posted:

Why the hell did you put a comment on YT. :v:

Maybe he's a youtube HERO???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Macaluso posted:

Notch is having some kind of LSD fueled meltdown on twitter at the moment or something :raise:

Maybe he should....

.... take it down a notch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seriously, common pleb who does not have a billion dollars, do large amounts of illegal drugs.

There are no possible repercussions.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pick one at random and then take a close look at the life choices that led to you playing WoW in 2016.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tried to get into Pathfinder once. I had never played any live RPGs before and it was a new group forming and we're all meeting for the first time. Long story short: the DM didn't know poo poo about anything and was basically recruiting a captive audience for his lame fantasy novel.

Highlights:
DM on rolling stats: "roll seven D20s and throw out the lowest number". No further instructions.
DM when asked how wizard opposition schools work: No coherent response, didn't seem familiar with term.
DM running combat: No grid present. Positioning/distances not accounted for or even acknowledged. Essentially rolling attack in a void.

Even with my limited experience consisting solely of Baldur's Gate rules I knew something was very wrong. Did not go back.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FirstAidKite posted:

Mage Knight looks p fuckin neat

This is not a toy made in China.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of terrible space games run by independently wealthy conmen with delusional fans, any news of No Man's Sky's big content update that's totally going to add in basebuilding and multiplayer and actual interesting worlds and creatures?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

I appreciate it. I am a no-exaggeration alcoholic. I 100% use it as a coping mechanism. I've tried not drinking. I made it 6 months pretty recently before I started drinking again because life is just so boring. I don't have any goals or desires and I only continue to be alive because there are people who care about me and they would be upset if I killed myself. "Sobriety" only replaces my addiction with other habits, like videogames, shows, movies, writing, etc that I use in the exact same way. I am an escapist, who got it into his head a long time ago that it's better to ignore reality than deal with it, and I don't need substance abuse to do this, but it makes me the happiest to do it that way.

I'm honestly doing pretty good right now, I just accidentally came out of my shell too much and engaged idiots on the internet. Normally I just stick to posting in the 3-4 threads I have on SA and drinking by myself, which works pretty well.

I'm not suicidal, I'm not a danger to other people, and I enjoy most of my day-to-day life. I have all kinds of modern conveniences and luxuries, I can't really ask for more. I can even afford video games and movies and streaming services. These sort of luxuries are almost meaningless sober. They are material and insignificant. But if I get drunk, my perceived reality shrinks from the entire universe to a small room, where these diversions are now relevant and important. Where the dopamine release I get from these interactions feels significant. When you're stupid from drinking, all your thoughts and ideas feel important and smart, and it doesn't matter if they aren't.

Intoxication and brain damage obfuscate the reality that I am just another ineffectual moron like everyone else.

basically I'm deciding if World of Final Fantasy is going to be worth drinking slightly less so I can afford to buy it this month. I already bought DQ Builders for full price, which wasn't planned. It wasn't even on my radar until I played the demo. And I might get FF15. I pre-ordered it for my roommate as a birthday gift cause he's really excited for it, so I'll probably wait to see what it's like before buying it for myself.

I usually buy like 1-2 full price game per year, so this is a seriously budgetary transgression already. It's a mindset holdover from my recent stretch of sobriety where I am used to having all the extra money I would normally be spending on alcohol. The transitory period is always rough. Either I'll cut back on drinking and keep buying games, or I will use alcohol to continue to be entertained by what I already have.

EVE Online is the game for you!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm hangin on the edge of my seat for more Burgundy updates!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The publishers are holding development back! Crowdfunding will bring power to the people! Finally games won't just be made for players, but funded by players!

*Mighty #9 ensues*

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I guess Kickstarter has been pretty sweet for me as a gamer. Once in a while it produces a good game that, while I didn't fund, I just can just buy the old fashion way. So it's not like I lose anything. More often it produces a bad game or fails to produce a game at all and I get to mock and ridicule the people that supported it.

Win-win scenario.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That Which Sleeps

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

I hate games that show your completion rate on the menu. Rise of the 2mb Raider says I'm already at 10% and I literally just got to the first real area. :(

If it's makes you feel better those percentage are usually just tied to Really-Not-Representative-At-All metrics like "completed achievements/total achievements". So when you get that slew of "babby's first" achievements after 10 minutes of gameplay it's just a big jump that will quickly slow down (and culminate in you finishing the game while showing 60%).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

There's already too much hype and unrealistic expectations for RDR2. In a year, most of the internet freaking out about this announcement is going to complain about how disappointing RDR2 is.

The more things change... the more they stay the same.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I just think Naughty Dog's particular mix of story and gameplay has maximum tedium compared to something like a more traditional AAA game or a Telltale/'walking sim' adventure game. It's essentially story-driven games with a lot of long, linear, unengaging gameplay in between the parts the developers actually care about (the story), which is also very linear and lacks agency. It's the worst of both worlds, basically, and I think their writing isn't very good either, and extremely manipulative in a way that'd make latter day Spielberg blush. They cover up their design and writing shortcomings with cutting edge graphics and top of the line voice acting, just like David Cage.

Like you said, I'm in the industry, specifically an indie dev and freelance writer, so these particular flaws stick out to me. I don't think they're the worst games ever or anything, but they're so beloved that people tend to react pretty aggressively when I clown on them.

But in this particular case I just wanted to point out the game's title sounds like shart, because I'm five.

I haven't played any Uncharted games but based on The Last of Us I'd agree with this analysis.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anybody tried out Atlas Reactor?

P good game. I'd say it's my game of the month.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm a little late to the convo but the best video games writing

I'm sorry but the correct answer is "The Witcher", every year, forever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Last of Us had pretty good writing for a video game but unfortunately it did not have very good gameplay for a video game. It's for that reason that I think it's not a great game.

Not a bad game, mind you. Just "good I guess". It's overrated.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

'Overrated' is the biggest non-critism in existence and means nothing other than 'people like it more than I think they should'.

I just mean it to mean "people say this game is A+ or that it is game of the year, but I just thought it was ok".

That was my message.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FanaticalMilk posted:

The only games the internet doesn't end up hating in the end are the ones they hated from the get go and end up coming around on long after the fact.

Looking forward to the redemption of No Man's Sky.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

There's like 3 or 4 great games released a month

I also closely watch the "Anime" tag on Steam.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

While we're talking about impactful gameplay elements conveying the story - that thing at the ending of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons was just brilliant.

I remember this. It was so powerful that I felt a feel.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Morrowind kinda got over some of the problems with open-world narratives by having one of the early quest givers say outright, "Go gently caress around for a while, join random guilds, then come back and we'll continue this main quest thing you're on"

Yeah Morrowind handled it very well, in a way more games with ample side content should. They don't present the threat as so imminent like it always is in Bioware games or even later Elder Scrolls titles. The Blight isn't rampaging over the countryside with an unstoppable army. There aren't gates to Oblivion opening up everywhere and spewing an unending tide of Daedra. A rogue agent isn't trying to summon up a army of unstoppable kill bots that will wipe the galaxy of sentient life.

It's just "Daggoth Ur has got some plans and will do something someday". It's not an immediate crisis. The Ghostgate is just the way it's been for a long time. Civilization is not facing imminent peril. The enemies plans are not clear or even known to be fully in motion. It's ok to take some time.

Same reason why it felt comfortable to explore in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey did you guys hear the are making a Star Control game except it literally only bears the name "Star Control" and in fact is legally prohibited from involving anything else related to Star Control beyond the title?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, and it's being made by Stardock, one of the sketchiest video game companies out there.

I know that some people are angry at their CEO for maybe being a raging misogynist/douche, but is there anything actually sketch about their business practices?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

The sketchiness is mostly about how poorly employees are treated and how the CEO has repeatedly said things like "I hope we don't reach 85% metacritic so we don't have to pay the employees their bonus". Last I heard, the head of HR in the company was still a relative of his.

Wow that's hosed up if true. I'm gonna pour one out for New Vegas tonight.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grapplejack posted:

The red dead trailer looked really heavily like an mmo thing.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Red Deadstiny.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Build-a-Boar posted:

Sorry if there's a better thread for this but I can't find it and this is driving me nuts: I watched someone play a game awhile ago that I wanted to try for myself but I can't remember what the hell it was. It was a PC game from maybe the 90s where you manage a tribe or village or something sending people out to gather, barter, wage war, all that typical stuff. But it had duck people that lived in swamps, maybe? Like actual humanoid ducks. Someone on SA has an avatar of it but I can't remember who. Please help me game goons, you're my only hope.

King of Dragon Pass, available on GOG

Protip: Do NOT try to buy cattle from the ducks. They will laugh at you and you will be humiliated.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
King of Dragon Pass is a really good game that aged so well it is quite playable today. I recommend it to literally everyone.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

VR is poo poo that nobody cares about and will never have any good games period, let alone any worth the price of admission.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If it's not the remastered edition I'm gonna laugh my rear end off.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I drink alcohol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A good game to play while drinking is Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Warfare.

Because your accuracy will be unaffected.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm having a drink right now while playing Atlas Reactor.

Good drink, good game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think I've ever played one because I'm a starving child that plays video games on console

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You haven't experienced emergent storytelling until you've decided all on your own, without any prompting from the game, that a convenient way to deal with birthing a retarded son is to repeatedly order him into battle against the infidels until the situation resolves itself.

• Locked thread