Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm gonna play Luigi's Mansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also FactsAreUseless please obey the rules of your thread and change your name

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's time for spooky games so i'm trying to decide between introducing the bf to Resident Evil or SIlent Hill series.

Alternate between them and finish with RE4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, March has to be strategy / war stuff.

Counterpoint: March should be for rhythm games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Playing through this weird French indie RPG called Off, because people told me it was better than LISA and Undertale. So far its incredibly weird and kind of depressing.

OFF is real neat, the standard battle music is suuuper good. I'd hesitate to call it better than Undertale or Lisa though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also do May Flowers with Pikmin and Harvest Moon and other planty games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Right, but there are categories that require that you have actually played the games in question, yet there are nominee's that haven't been released yet. To be fair this is much like how the Academy Awards for movies work, and that is considered the most prestige's award show in the entertainment.

Voters in the Academy get invited to exclusive advance screenings of those (completed) films, and those screenings are how a particular film's inclusion in that year's Awards is justified even though it hasn't received a wide (or American) release yet. But whether the voters choose to actually go to those screenings and watch everything they're supposed to be voting on is a different story, and is a huge problem in stuff like the animation category, for example.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Thread, tell me what Castlevania to play next. I don't have a gimmick in mind this year so I'm sort of spoiled for choice.

OoE

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

I don't know why I never used the tmp in resident evil 4 as a kid, it's very good

also resident evil 4 is still the best one in case anyone was wondering if resident evil 6 got better in the past few months

I keep hearing RE6 doesn't do a very good job teaching people the best and most enjoyable way to play it, and I'd like to know what that way is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

miyamoto i love you man but i refuse to buy that mario is supposed to be 24 years old. Death of the author and all that but come on the guy's gotta be at least pushin 35 with a mustache like that

I mean, he was born in 1981

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the sexy thing was separate from the diversity thing and basically his criticism is that in hollywood if theres 2 people getting through danger they should be romantic tension because that's how movies have always worked.

it seemed like it bled together because he transitions from saying that the finn character doesn't do anything important in the movie and he probably thinks he only exists to get a black guy in the film but that's cool as long as he gets to gently caress the girl cause thats how movies go.

idk personally. the new movie feels really lifeless to me so maybe some romantic tension would spice it up but i think the issue is more that its a weak copy of the old movies with a much less understandable story but i'm no youtube expert so what do i know.

adding in some spicy romantic tension would make it even more lifeless and also that criticism sounds super dumb

Jay Rust posted:

What are some good recent Star Wars games? Last I played was like the Old Republic

e: I mean the Old Republic was my last Star Wars game, I don't remember if it was good or not

Battle for Naboo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This and also this.

But yeah, kids who are unaware of the diversity argument at a higher level just grow up with a Star Wars movie where the main characters were a white lady and black dude and that's probably healthy for their world view and will lead to fewer weird nerds getting angry that some video game made by an international dev team had a Hispanic lady MC. RLM can suck it. Their Phantom Menace criticism was the only thing they made worth a drat.

the plinkett reviews are neat for introducing a bunch of people to film critique but man that framing device is rear end

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I agree that Trek is better than Wars but god dammit Rogue Squadron was the poo poo. Why does Star Wars always get the good games? I want TellTale to do TNG season 8. since everything is being rebooted nowadays why not

because nothing interesting happens in star trek

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well there was that time that Spike Lee complained that Eastwood WWII movie didn't have any black people in it when there was in fact no black people at the battle.

Then, on a lesser note, there's when people were complaining that Her had very few black people in it when Her is like the whitest movie and even if it had an all minority cast it would still be the whitest movie ever so the casting did work.

As I said, I don't think having a diverse cast tends to hurt anything but I think sometimes the complaints that a movie lacks it can get a bit silly because sometime it's just not taken in context and just used as a end all rule.

Spike Lee is an idiot tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

Speaking of terrible parenting, one of my ex's named her daughter "Aeris". Why would you impose that on a child. Why.

Aeris is a pretty name outside of nerd contexts imo. Same with Zelda

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Zelda is not even a nerdy name, considering that Zelda Fitzgerald was around decades before the 80's.

you're not wrong but most people are gonna recognize it as a video game reference over the wife of the guy who wrote the Beautiful and the Damned

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Most people are gonna recognize F. Scott Fitzgerald as the guy who wrote The Great Gatsby over The Beautiful and the Damned.

:geno:

glam rock hamhock posted:

God drat the Odin Sphere remake is good.

fuckin right??? now they just have to make Grim Grimoire fun and they'll be a certifiably great dev

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
he tried to fund dwarf fortress but was refused after overstepping his boundaries? lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
is notch thirteen years old

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'd fund all the hottest kickstarters and make hilarious donations at every GDQ

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I like the original DS version better

use the ds version but make it speed up occasionally for secret satanic messages from beyond

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

play it normally and she casts a witch's spell. not demonic enough for you ??

only if you're not her friend!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

still good

for anyone who didn't mouseover, one of the admins of the silent hill wiki flipped out when people suggested maybe those games aren't all about the evils of circumcision

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

happy october i made a thing

:yeah:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mordja posted:

Hey games thread, I just got back from trying VR for the first time! :toot:

Coincidentally, I think I'm done with VR! :toot:

I would like to know more

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The jump scare in Bioshock Infinite totally wrecked me, too. Any game that just throws in one or two is the worst because you totally don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

yes, that's the idea of a jump scare

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what was the first indie game and does that question really mean anything

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I once got a fortune cookie with the fortune "still hungry? eat another fortune cookie."

t-that's not a fortune at all!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

the last of us is incredible

it's a good movie but i'd like it a lot more if it just started in the post-ap part

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there are many games that are just essentially boss rushes. No More Heroes 1 and 2, Furi, Alien Soldier, Shadow of the Colossus, plus the boss rush modes of like Kirby and Castlevania games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Alternatively, just play Persona 4 the entire month

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

video games status: im starting to not enjoy video games anymore

is this what getting older feels like. i just want to play a dice game now with my grandma

try playing good games grandpa

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you. It seemed really well suited for that and it would have allowed people who have trouble with the rules to play with veterans without problem, as well as sped up combat considerably.

it's criminal that the wii u never got anything like that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Dead Island is why we don't deserve preorder bonuses

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't there a zombie game with a pre-order bonus of zombie apocalypse survival lessons or something dumb or am I making this up

E: it was dying light

at this point you might as well just become an investor and actually get something out of it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone talk me out of grabbing Stardew Valley now that it's the Humble Bundle monthly thing, please. I have other games to play this weekend, I don't need to fall into farming hell.

why? it's fun and many of its issues can be fixed with mods

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Stardew Valley's pretty good. But I played a whole lot of it when it first came out, and i was under a terrible depression at the time, and the game definitely exacerbated it, so watch out I guess

:( I'm glad you seem to be doing better now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Different strokes and all but I actually liked these, especially compared to the actual Harvest Moon games I've played:

-The ability to only talk once per day and give one gift a day/two gifts a week is a good thing because it fixes Harvest Moon's problem of, say, getting a complete stranger to want to marry you in the span of a day because you talked to her while holding your dog one hundred times. It also makes managing time easier because since you're listed to what you can do in a week there's no temptation to minmax and power level your relationship with everyone every day.

This is how it works in HM games tho

the thing you're talking about is a glitch from one of the buggiest (and also best) games in the series

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Green Acres Zone.

the captain america got the reference gif

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
My favorite Stardew mods are the one that stops time indoors and the one that lets you cycle through your inventory bars without opening the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I wish they kept the older portraits, where Elliott looked like an actual dweeby writer instead of Fabio and Harvey didn't have a pedostache and look twice as old as all the other dudes you could marry.

Fabio owns and while Harvey looks p bad, the old one looks like a fourteen year old school boy

• Locked thread