Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Palpek posted:

I'm back from vacation, did I miss some games?

*pushes button so all the games retract into the wall like a speakeasy* no games here sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I own the Star Wars fighting game and I am so bad at playing it. I want to beat the game as Chewbacca, who is cool. But it is pretty bad so I probably won't.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

CrashCat posted:

:wrong: and :dadjoke: should not be neglected

why the gently caress is doc louis from punch out called jollywell though

It used to be called a racial slur and a former administrator's name iircaittid

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

Speaking of terrible parenting, one of my ex's named her daughter "Aeris". Why would you impose that on a child. Why.

Had a coworker with a daughter named Rinoa.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I got my Dreamcast back from the repair shop and I have been playing the port of Spider-Man and I am about to bust out Resident Evil 2. The Dreamcast is amazing and the jet engine sound of it loading a disc is how you know it is full of power.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What th

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

oddium posted:

what should be doing with his life lurdiak

Gonna guess the answer is "saying video games are bad, on the internet"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Video games are good

Thank you.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ruggan posted:

Any MMOs out that aren't WoW, GW2, FF or WoW clones and are actually popular and not godawful?

No, you have to play good games instead. Sorry. :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Hello friends. I am playing the Mega Man games for the first time and all I can do is kill Cutman and then fall off every platform there is. I am very bad at the timing in the platform puzzle things but I know I will eventually get the hang of it and feel like a badass but I hope that happens soon because right now it is a terrible feeling. :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

When's Max Payne 4

I like Max Payne. But hopefully never.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I am gathering that maybe I should skip ahead to Mega Man II and come back to the original later.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I'm sticking it out with Mega Man 1 and I took down Bomb Man. Seems like any level without a stupid platform puzzle gimmick is extremely doable.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

oddium posted:

soft shell tacos and burritos are for clowns and children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhmuPKe6w4

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Guts Man and Ice Man are going to be very frustrating for you, but I wish you well in your quest (Bomb Man is a very good first victim).

I have taken down Cutman, Bomb Man and Fire Man. Literally the only thing in my way are platform things that I will have to try to get a hang of. Ice Man has this one sequence that I simply can't do at all right now and I have encountered the same problem with Elec Man 😑

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I didn't even know the Magnet Beam was a thing I could get but I guess I know what I'm doing next.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

I hate games that show your completion rate on the menu. Rise of the 2mb Raider says I'm already at 10% and I literally just got to the first real area. :(

I live to watch those numbers go slowly towards 100% :getin:

70 onward is always a good time.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

That's a possibility but considering how popular GTA Online is I wouldn't be surprised if they just focused on that mode and skip an expensive single-player campaign.

No. gently caress that. I refuse to accept that this could happen. No. :negative:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Ok what is your beef with Naughty Dog dude.

Like I noticed anytime ND is brought up you say something negative about them. Like yeah I get Uncharted is not everyone's cup of tea, but I know it's more than Uncharted with you.

Just curiosity. No malice, no HURR you are a hater.

edit: I know you are probably in the industry just like me so it's like ok there's gotta be more. :v:

I don't know how you narrow something like this down.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

If you don't like metal, you are not my friend.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

FYI that entire site is basically built around getting people to click on Amazon links so the author can soak up affiliate referral money from them. It has some funny stuff on it but that soured me on it, especially since he started doing stuff like not letting RSS feeds display articles just to drive more clicks.

This person sounds smart. Good for them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

credburn posted:

Hey, all you old-school Doom and Quake players, I have a question about Doom...um, the new Doom. Not called "The New Doom" but just "Doom" for some stupid reason. That's strike 1, new Doom! :argh:

I've never been into multiplayer games because I'm a misanthropic agoraphobic human hating fire bombing loner. So this question is specifically about the single player. Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

I want to pick up Doom, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I haven't actually seen any videos of it since a little bit before its release, and I wasn't really liking what I was seeing. What I saw was some frantic, wonderful running and gunning, jumping and splattering and blowing away demons and it looked like a proper update to the Doom classic, a Doom for the new generation. But then I saw that switching between weapons brought up a weird UI and it brought the game into slow motion. Well, this offends me. Doom didn't slow down for nothing. Leaping behind cover and swapping your weapon and then leaping back was part of the chaotic fun. I know it was pretty simple back then; you didn't have to reload your gun or anything. But I don't LIKE the idea of time slowing down to swap out my weapon. So I am wondering, 1) can this be disabled and 2) if it can't be disabled, do you find this hurts the gameplay, especially coming at this from the thirst for Doom-like nostalgic ultra-violence?

My next question pertains to finishing moves. I think I saw a Youtube video with a guy playing a beta of it (or something) and he said that doing finishing moves makes you invulnerable during the animation, and he went on to say that that becomes a rather necessary gameplay element, with so much going on one needs a brief break of random invulnerability. This offends me. I've been playing some other games wherein performing finishing moves makes you invulnerable, and I use this to my advantage. If it's part of the game, I'm going to use it, but I sure don't like it. I think it pulls me out of the immersion. Not the finishing moves -- that's fine -- but let me be at risk doing it. So I am wondering, 1) Does it still make you invulnerable, or was that an early build feature, 2) are there multiple finishing moves for various monsters? I don't want to see the same finishing move 100 times, and 3) do you have to initiate the finishing move, or does it just happen mid-combat?

Oh, and final question: How is health handled? Is it like classic FPS games where you have to monitor your health and go get medikits and such, or is it like pussy boo-hoo modern FPS games where you just squat behind a table and wait for your health to come back you loving pussy wimp?

So are you Seanbaby or the imockery guy.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Former Video Games Humor Man Seanbaby and the writer for i-mockery were infamous back in "the day" for being real dismissive of modern game mechanics and conceits.

edit: Is I-Mockery still a thing?

I was referring to the hilarious comedy writing style.

Also I have no idea if I-mockery is still around lol

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I just checked and I-mockery still definitely exists. lol

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

credburn posted:

Are you actually laughing out loud when you submit a reply?

We've definitely got a new comedy superstar on our hands, here, folks. :geno:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

Sometimes yeah

If I do actually laugh out loud it's usually a single Edna Krabapplesque "HA!"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Tell it to get a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

there is no need for this lovely attitude sarcasm my man, we're all friends here

We are all friends here but lovely attitude sarcasm rules.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

or you can buy the mario all stars wii release, and......

Buy the Kirby collection instead.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Aw man how did I just find the chat thread

Hi everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kGvgXmmgk

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I'd think a reptilian sorcerer could easily find lucrative employment

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Well, it turns out the car is fine. Amazingly.

Don't know the rest of the story yet. Apparently he got drunk, drove himself to the clinic because of his heart condition, and then left the car there. Which is where I found it. So at least no one was hurt.

You should not live with the alcoholic roommate. Sincerely, a former alcoholic roommate.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I'm replaying Resident Evil 2 for the season and I'm on Claire B, right before you get to the lab with Sherri. Sherry. The little girl. It is giving me all the early 2000's teenager feels all over again and I can't wait to do the same with 3. :cool:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

The best 3D platformer is Mario Galaxy. 2 might be better but I haven't played it yet.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Muthafacka, I love games so much, I play and I watch people play them, now what!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhmuPKe6w4

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat GnG followed by Super in a day once, I had way to much loving free time as a kid.

:stare: th-the power ...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't know there was a Watchmen game until now and I choose to believe that you're making it up, and it doesn't exist.

It is a beat-em-up based on the one piece of expanded universe stuff written by Alan Moore, some role-playing thing. You can be Rorschach or Nite Owl and you fight Moloch in the 70's and I think for some reason it is two separate games? I refuse to support the slow murder of the Watchmen concept so I haven't played it.

• Locked thread