Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm getting World of Final Fantasy and maybe Dragon Quest Builders/Paper Mario/Nioh and maybe KoFXIV if Amazon ever gets it back in stock because I'm not paying £50 on PSN

Nioh unfortunately doesn't come out until February. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thread, tell me what Castlevania to play next. I don't have a gimmick in mind this year so I'm sort of spoiled for choice.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Bloodlines.

God I loving hate that this game has continues. Apparently I have never played this on normal.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Only 90s kids will remember continues.

I meant to say limited continues. Just makes it so you have to keep reentering a password every time you die.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Bloodlines.

Turns out I was being dumb and the orbs the non-medusa Medusa form* shoots out can be ducked under, remaking the final boss rush of this game still one of the easier final parts of a Castlevania.

*I dunno what to call her, the credits didn't show the human form, can't remember the story offhand

chumbler posted:

Aria of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia.

I will start Ecclesia tomorrow, looks like.

I am still washing the stink of that game off of me from when I finally played it last year. Did the really boring story mode for every character and the finale is... a reskin of the final boss (Death) from Lament of Innocence. Sold it and not feeling too bad about it considering at one point I thought I needed to own all the Castlevanias.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You can skip them but it shouts at you

lol it's 2016 and game devs are still mad that people skip their cutscenes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

I mean king of fighters of all things blocks recording of everything constantly and fucks up any videos I try to Share on ps4

Nearly the entirety of Tales of Zestiria is blocked from recording, the only thing you can make videos out of is the dumb little challenge rooms they made for each character.

Help Im Alive posted:

Why would anyone skip cutscenes on their first time playing a game

I dunno I did that for Mighty No. 9 (and turning off the voices and the mid-mission text dialog) and ended up actually enjoying it a little so there's use cases.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CrashCat posted:

but I want something to play on my stupid expensive goggles :smith:

I mean Rez and rear end in a top hat Sports Bar Simulator and Robot Golf are probably enough but I did try Battlezone as a demo and it felt pretty good. Tank zips around and controls well which I never thought I would say about anything with Battlezone in the name

You can always cancel a preorder if you want someone else to be the guinea pig for the $500 first run of a technology that is due for either years of improvements or a quick death.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

What kind of external memory card do you hook up to a PSTV?

The expensive proprietary ones that Sony makes because nothing else will work with it (unless the recent hacking stuff has made it possible to hookup an external HD or something, which I doubt).

Enjoy that $80 price tag for 32 GB.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

can someone recommend a ps2-to-usb adapter that works so i can play all video games with my sweet hosed up ninja controller (see previous thread)?

I bought a thing like this years ago from deal extreme and it maps everything to xinput so you don't even have to modify anything for most games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh when an indie dev uses NES spritework but then also tweens the poo poo out of them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think that game was just bad though.

I didn't personally play it or anything I just don't think I've heard anything positive about it except for the style it's going for.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

My ideal game, RE1's combat mixed with randomly generated levels and loot.

Isn't that sort of the Vita Silent Hill game?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Back In 1995 is weird in that in stills it looks okay but when you're actually playing it every texture is stretching and distorting with the camera and it's ugly as sin.

That just sounds like it's being faithful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The fingers on the monkey paw retract, and to your horror you open the Steam page to the vision of a thousand metroidvanias, screaming and writhing in tortured pain.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CrashCat posted:

if you consider those both to be utter trash your standards may just be impossibly high. :shrug:

On the other hand, if you don't like the stuff that is considered the king of a genre it's pretty easy to just write off the whole thing.

I too don't like Roguelikes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

enter the gungeon is "king of the genre?" it's only been out for maybe a year and the bossfights are tedious bullshit

I wasn't necessarily talking about those games specifically, though I hear as much praise for Gungeon as detractors (never played it).

If you want specifics though, I feel like a ton of people went nuts about Isaac and Rogue Legacy and Spelunky, all games I tried and didn't like, almost entirely because of the random element. I have terrible luck and the first like 20 runs will set up some bullshit that keeps me from ever trying them again. I beat RL entirely because you could lock the castle down and predictably that wasn't very fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think there's really that much luck involved with Spelunky/Isaac. Like yeah Isaac can throw some bad items at you but with some practice you can win with pretty much anything. And with Spelunky once you get the hang of dealing with shopkeepers you have a super powerful weapon/a bunch of items/dozens of bombs etc every single run

That's the thing though, I could spend more time getting good at recognizing patterns or whatever but all it really takes is one stupid bullshit thing to completely kill my interest and have me never play again.

A weird comparison that is probably garbage is how I played the original Adventure Island this year. That game has maybe 6 or 7 actual levels spread out against 8 worlds with 4 levels each, it's just when you come across that archetype of level again they've tacked more bullshit on it, until the final levels are ridiculous. Part of the difficulty there was remembering what version of the level you're dealing with, because in earlier versions of any particular level certain spots would not be as dangerous. It's probably the hardest game I've ever beaten, because it specifically fucks with my expectations for a level by, say, throwing in a bat in a part that I zoomed past earlier (in addition to only having one hit and unforgiving checkpoints and just being difficult in general).

I feel like not having a set level fucks with me in the same way, as I'll try to do similar challenges faster but then get owned by like an arrow trap and get tired of it before any level of mastery sets in. I dunno, sorry for the tortured comparison.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I can't remember the idiotic place I heard this from, but literally the only reason I tried Rogue Legacy was because someone compared it to the gameplay of the Metroid-like Castlevanias and I'm also an idiot. Obviously it is almost nothing like it outside of the aesthetic. That aesthetic is probably why I plugged along with it, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You're all looking at the dong harness the wrong way, imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

If you had Notch's money, what would you do with it?

Buy one of those abandoned missile silos that randomly come up on eBay.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

all those fortune cookies are a wash if they don't include your lucky lotto numbers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the bare minimum I can do to get review copies of video games

You can review titty games on Steam.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Plok is amazing simply for the fact that you go back home at some point and eventually you daydream about your granpappy and it cuts to the first world again except it's black and white and you're playing as Plok's granpappy and the levels are somewhat harder. It's just asset reuse but it's stupid and dumb and I love it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am playing Order of Ecclesia again and I had to bitch out of Hard mode because I think when I did the level 1 hard mode back in the day it was on new game + with all my equipment and glyphs. Trying to just beeline hard mode with a new save resulted in dying a fuckton in that first forest because everything does a third of your health in damage and they threw in a bunch of super fast randomly spawning flying skeleton monsters that are large and mimic the medusa head's pattern.

I am going to get the medals for the bosses, though Maneater's didn't drop the first time for some reason.

Also think I'm going to end the month of Castlevania by playing Nanobreaker and Folklore, the former since it's one of the few games IGA made that wasn't a Castlevania during that time period and the latter because I've never beaten it and I remember it having a Aria/Dawn like ability system where you get abilities from monsters. Also Folklore was the first PS3 game I ever had and I never played more than like three chapters on each character.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also the Phantom Pain and most of the DS Castlevanias (if not all of them?).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I highly suggest that whoever it was that had the PSVR on preorder look at bits of that long 5 hour stream GiantBomb did with it because it looks real bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mutata posted:

VR is pretty fun and neat.

Maybe but the setup GiantBomb proved that either their setup was broken or the hardware itself was broken so maybe don't preorder it to find out which one it is. Dunno if they had trouble with the other systems at first or not.

Sakurazuka posted:

Bamco left it to swing but there's a fan patch that fixes everything but the 30 fps limit.

I checked after the comment I made on it yesterday and they've been patching it, just really slowly. Though the last one came out late in September and supposedly was still fixing stuff that got fanpatched the month it came out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people like the audio logs in The Witness

I don't think I like audio logs period.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/jeff-minter-announces-polybius-playstation-vr

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Follow your dreams.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Realtalk though I just preordered this thing so that's hardly nothin'.

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Berseria-Collectors-PlayStation-4/dp/B01LY3WFEJ/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Was that exorbitantly expensive joke thing from one of the Saints Row games actually buyable?

Also yeah Call of Duty ones came with like Night Vision goggles and a Drone or RC Car or some poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh poo poo it has Battle Unit Zeoth.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Japan makes expensive poo poo because they're after the whales. Not many people will buy the stuff to begin with so they just make the most expensive stuff they can to get the most from the few who'll buy in.

Idiots like me, for example.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Should I start at the beginning of the Yakuza series or jump to a particular game and just watch a story synopsis or something?

I think they all have built in synopses now?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Inside was really drat good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't be mean to Zoidberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did it with all the medals, hell yeah.

• Locked thread