Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lurdiak posted:

This is real.

Pretty much every time I play a pen and paper rpg it is mostly me trying increasingly stupid ways to avoid any sort of combat or completely trivialize it.

Nobody wants to play a straight up intrigue game with me :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

wizard on a water slide posted:

Everybody should play D&D at least once.

Ehh. I disagree, I think everybody should try a pen and paper game at least once, not specially D&D.

Like Fiasco is going to be great with my artsy creative friends but they may hate the mechanical stuff in D&D that my "gamer" type friends can play with as they try to get into the hang of roleplaying.

People who heavily lean on one side of the spectrum there probably won't be interested in Everbody Is John because it doesn't give either group much to chew on but is way more accessible to those in the middle.

Roleplaying games are rapidly evolving in cool ways, which is near because it's only going to bring in more people. And now we have stuff like mega games with watch the skies, or room escapes (which you can pretty much argue are real life d&d modules, just without monsters and traps that can kill you)

Games are just in a good place generally.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am terrified by my copy of Mage Knight. It's so overwhelming.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That is a funny tweet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Why can't i buy yoshi insurance?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

discount cathouse posted:

I watched King of Kong and Indie Divas: The Movie yeaterday. Are there any other good videogame documentarys?

Commercial Breaks, about Imagine and Ocean, 30 minutes long. it's like a time capsule, highly recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9BsZCifgU

Charlie Brooker's special. Filled with stuff you probably know but it's fun and funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wN4IIDW1o

King of Chinatown, about Justin Wong and the fighting game community. It's really about his manager whose last name is Triforce and walks around with a power glove. Not really that good of a doc and the music is real bad, but the footage is really fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauRL3La9jc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Documentaries about games, video or otherwise are surprisingly few. You would expect a way higher number of them. And the offerings you do get are not typically that great.

Word Wars is really boring.

They are making a documentary out of the fantastic Console Wars book about Tom Kalinske. I look forward to that and hope it's good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Golden Goat posted:

That reminds me of Video Games: The Movie.
It was terrible, it's an hour and a half of sorta-celebrities going "whoo VIDEO GAMES!!" and nothing else.

Yeah, the reason why most video game books and movies are bad is they focus players experiences with games. Which makes sense, due to the nature of games. While how systems affect players can be interesting, most people aren't going to provide a good account as to why it does.

I find the opposite relationship, how the developers affect their systems, more fascinating but it's barely ever the focus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Not a GDC talk and not really known for being a video game guy but here is garfield's talk about luck in games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there just a "books, talks, and documentaries about video games" thread?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Leaves blow in the wind

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Black is cursed, but that is basically a type of poison

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Blue fire in games can be common too, tends to represent souls a lot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone should write a book on this. Color in games is cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes health is red but green is healing.

Because herbs are green.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only space game we need is Total War of the Galactic Heroes

Yang Wen-li 4 life

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like space combat i just don't like how every game makes me feel lonely.

Which is why I'm making Space Friends, it's my space sim where between combat and trading you hang out with your pals Gor-zak and BAL-4000 at space diners and pizza joints.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What is your favorite video game special feature?

I like the Darkness graffiti video because that stuff was neat to see they got actual graffiti guys to do.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gumshoe is the best system because watching your friends bundle their way through a murder mystery or x files investigation is funny

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Very important, if bird and plane do, does Superman also invert i axis?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snak posted:

For example, if you put a cookfire and a chest in a room, that's called building a kitchen, and NPC will cook food for you there. So basically building rooms causes passive generation of items for you to use. And all kinds of other features. It's like what if minecraft was a game instead of a sandbox. It's neat.

So it's basically just taking management style game rules and implying them to Minecraft! That is really neat and cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Advance was basically a rework of the rules and added some more classes and poo poo. Early d&d gets confusing with all the different boxes and poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Twitter :smuggo:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Guys it's a Red Dead Revolver sequel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ace Combat is also coming soon..

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lurdiak is my best friend and i think they are very brave for posting their bad opinions everywhere.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I built a giant robot and now I'm going to kill VR gaming with my new Mecha Gaming, ama

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm a little late to the convo but the best video games writing is Ace Attorney, only a master can come up with that many jokes about step ladders.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there a list of games that the internet hasn't decided is bad after 3 months

Elevator Action

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

Important: has a video game ever made you cry

I'm a baby who has cried during nearly every metal gear solidgame, ace combat 4, and Bastion.

But everyone should cry at the good ending of Bastion.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bloodychill posted:

I'm a big baby and cry at the end of all good games including these ones. And also with tv shows, movies, and books.

Crying is real good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snak posted:

I don't watch videos of poo poo. Let me know when there's an article with pictures.

just watch the video you silly goof

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Finally, region free free range Marios

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Switches of East Switch

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Seven Year Switch: named for how many years of my life I'm going to play this console'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*in Rick voice from Rick and Morty*
Get Switchy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Uhh dude? Like lemonade is my favorite. Let's hang sometime.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Pitch Black video game adaptation was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Every video game has a story, the story of you playing it. :angel:

• Locked thread