Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Golden Goat posted:

It's time for spooky games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

nutted but she still sucking

https://i.imgur.com/oVwlCzL.mp4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

glam rock hamhock posted:

I've rarely felt as embarrassed watching a trailer as I have for that game.

I'm more embarrassed by the people who are defending buying it on the ground that they're doing it ironically to totally stick it to the people criticizing it, both because you'd think that after Hatred was a steaming turd they would know better and also because it's the video game equivalent of :nws:this Onion article:nws:.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I know that No Man's Sky is old hat but these last two minutes are such an amazing cosmic joke that if it was intentional it would be brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8vLJ66Vhc&t=1896s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure what makes NMS innovative but I honestly can't think of any innovative games this year besides pokemon go, and that's just ingress with pokeball tossing.

I guess that's why the only other nominees are Pokemon GO and a bunch of different VR headsets?

I said come in! posted:

lol there are games on this list that are not even out yet.

There is an entire category dedicated to voting for what upcoming game you're most looking forward to.

CJacobs posted:

Undertale deserves to win every indie game award for the rest of time so I'm glad of it

Agreed, if only because the one thing internet awards shows are good for is generating drama and the backlash Undertale winning awards gets from the unfortunate people who didn't enjoy it is always loud and wonderful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Even Keighley on the first episode of his new thing he started last week spent the last segment basically walking back from the NMS hype and telling everyone that he warned Murray he didn't think the final product was going to go over well. So even the Grand Master Hypeman turned away from it.

Oh wow, you're not kidding.

quote:

“I honestly resisted saying anything about this game for the better part of the last year because I’ve been internally conflicted about what I saw happening, and I’ve played a role in this,” he begins, referencing the “broken promises” that have been a recurring complaint about the game.

“The last time I saw [Sean Murray] was back in March and he told me then that he really didn’t want to be around me that much anymore because he thought I was being a little too negative about the game and my assessment of where the team was at. They were under an incredible amount of pressure.”

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
RedLetterMedia put out their first full-length Plinkett review in like four years and it's real bad. I really wish I had spent that time gaming instead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Wolfenstein: The New Order has one of the most diverse casts in a modern game and nobody really noticed or cared. I want more internet fatbeards whining about how BJ Blazkowicz taking orders from an old woman in a wheelchair and feeling inferior next to the awe of watching Jimi Hendrix perform is all a plot to turn gamers into little white cuck balls.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 4, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

I didn't like Rogue Legacy because of the permanent upgrades

I like roguelites with some degree of overarching progression (like Nuclear Throne's characters or Risk of Rain's items) but Rogue Legacy leaned way, way too hard on grinding out gold and blueprints/runes to power up your character. It's effectively impossible to beat the game without hours and hours of upgrades, especially since the collision detection and controls aren't nearly precise enough to get by entirely on skill.

If they rebalanced it to be shorter but less grindy it would be a much better experience.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

If you had Notch's money, what would you do with it?

But this forum from Lowtax and then immediately shut it down. :troll:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Stexils posted:

KIDS THESE DAYS :argh:

Facebook keeps serving me ads for a local Pokemon GO group explicitly for members of the Childfree community, which just seems like the saddest thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

happy october i made a thing

The jump scare with Bootler outside of the Forever Forest was some sick poo poo in such an otherwise cute and friendly game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

I just hope to god none of them read his Twitter because he is a misogynist rape apologist, and he is very open and unashamed about this on his Twitter.

Watching your heroes get torn down is a part of growing up. For some of us it was finding out that Optimus Prime existed to sell toys and that wrestling was fake and full of drug abuse, for others its finding out that the man responsible for a game that was made before you were even born has bad opinions on Twitter.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even remember that one. I do remember this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkzCre3XJY

I can't find a video that isn't buried in 20 minutes of garbage but basically in the Tubba Blubba chapter when you go to the outside of the woods and Bootler greets you he fades away then jumps back with flash + loud noise + his sprite being all blown up and it comes out of nowhere, it made me jump last time I played it.

The jump scare in Bioshock Infinite totally wrecked me, too. Any game that just throws in one or two is the worst because you totally don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

What most people consider "indie development" currently though is just how video game development functioned prior to the 3D era, with the key difference being that people actually finished the games thy made instead of ripping people off with Early Access

Even then Mount and Blade first came out in 2004, so they beat Minecraft to the punch at pioneering the early access model by about half a decade.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I smoked non filtered cigs for 20 years, give or take, then quit cold turkey with no withdrawal symptoms. I started smoking again after a couple years because my wife smokes and I knew I wouldn't get addicted. I smoked like 10 a day for a while then quit again because of tooth surgery, again no withdrawal.

I've had friends try to quit and basically go insane because of how the withdrawal felt, so I feel pretty confident when I say I have never felt "nicotine withdrawal".

You should definitely keep smoking. If anything you should smoke even more since you don't have to worry about getting addicted and that's the only bad thing about smoking.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

A good group/gm can make anything great though.

Listening to The Adventure Zone is the first time I ever actually wanted to play a tabletop game because up until then all my exposure to it had been people arguing about balance and which edition is the best and then in TAZ it's all about telling jokes and having fun and the DM actually has cool adventures set up for you to do and the actual D&D rules and systems just exist to facilitate that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This is from an entire Lootcrate style subscription service that takes older indie games and sends you a physical box a download code, a physical copy of the game/soundtrack on disc, and some extra goodies. On one hand it's kind of fun from a design perspective to see The Stanley Parable has a box that looks like a piece of Windows 98 office software and comes with a tie, business cards, and a mousepad but on the other hand you're still paying $30 for a game that goes on sale for a tenth of that all the time just so you can have a box and what amouts to a bunch of convention swag.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Stardew Valley is a fantastic game and in the weeks since I bought it has managed to suck up time in a way few games have for me. If you have any interest in that kind of game you'll definitely get your money's worth.

oddium posted:

you can only talk to people once a day

there's objectively best crops and it's easy to set up sprinklers so it pretty much grows itself

the mine combat is bad

Different strokes and all but I actually liked these, especially compared to the actual Harvest Moon games I've played:

-The ability to only talk once per day and give one gift a day/two gifts a week is a good thing because it fixes Harvest Moon's problem of, say, getting a complete stranger to want to marry you in the span of a day because you talked to her while holding your dog one hundred times. It also makes managing time easier because since you're listed to what you can do in a week there's no temptation to minmax and power level your relationship with everyone every day.

-The 1.1 patch they dropped the other day rebalanced some of the crops as well as adding new ones, so cranberries etc. are no longer game-breakingly valuable. The sprinklers I was happy to have because they're tied to levelling up your skills and getting the better ones can be a serious resource/money sink so by the time you have enough to water your field on their own you've already done so much manual watering that you never want to pick up a watering can again. The new patch even went one step further and added some really expensive postgame items that let you automate it even further like getting forest spirits to harvest your crops for you and an enchanted clock that stops weeds from growing and fences from deteriorating.

-I preferred the simple hack-and-slash-and-mine-and-eat combat of Stardew to something that would be more involved and complicated. Compare it to something like Recettear where the combat is a little deeper with multiple characters and movesets and more equipment and stats to manage but is exponentially more grindy and ends up dominating what is supposed to be a game boutique running an item store.

Can't really argue with the rest though, especially the art. It's functional, especially considering it and everything else in the game is all by the one guy and he's a CS major and not an artist, but the quality and style is all over the place and it's kind of inadvertently creepy at times since some of the romancable characters look like they're a little too young for you and not in a Harvest Moon chibi way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CrowbCat is wonderful. I went almost a decade without using YouTube's subscribe function (mostly out of spite) but he finally made me break. That and the GBS RLM thread being too much of a garbage pit to even bother using it to see when their new videos got posted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sebastian being one of the hardest people to become friends with because he only leaves his room to get food from the kitchen, smoke outside his mom's house, and maybe once a week play pool at the bar or keyboard with his friend hit way too hard.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know I'm only a few days into the game, but so far it hasn't felt like I need a mod to slow things down - things are zooming, but ultimately I've got plenty of days to plant crops and talk to people and so on. (Yes, I am aware that when the seasons roll over your crops die. I'm planning for that!)

Honestly the toughest question now is figuring out who I want to romance, but again there's no rush with that. :D

I'm feel same way. A day in Stardew from sunup to midnight is 13.5 minutes, so a whole season is already over 6 hours of playtime if you're working each day to the fullest. If people would rather have longer days to make the day-to-day stuff less hectic that's cool and it's great that the game supports modding so you can do that but if it was taking 8 or even 10 hours just to get through a season I imagine it would hurt my enjoyment a lot more than occasionally having to leave my cattle grumpy and unfed to have enough time to go mining or to skip out on harvesting my crab pots because I want to run around throwing sashimi at townspeople.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

There's a mod to make the non-white love interests white.

The backlash against the mod to turn Demetrius white led to a mod to turn everyone and everything into Demetrius just to spite them, which is just wonderful.

oddium posted:

seasons don't end on the 30th like harvest moon just so you know. i didn't

The 28 day seasons the game uses are cool because it's a real thing that was created for the same reasons the game uses it: each day of the month always falls on the same day of the week so you don't have to worry about the calendar changing from year to year.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I wish they kept the older portraits, where Elliott looked like an actual dweeby writer instead of Fabio and Harvey didn't have a pedostache and look twice as old as all the other dudes you could marry.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

When I was a kid I was confused why Banjo was supposed to be a washing machine but looked more like a dryer, I had no idea that front-loading vs. top-loading was a European thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

No, what I said was that it's difficult to really get into the romances since you only ever get to know the characters superficially.

Finding out that the guy who made the game started it because he had graduated from college with a CS degree and couldn't get a better job than working as a theater usher and wanted something to do with his life makes the initial superficiality of the romances a lot more understandable, because most of the people you can romance are in similar situations where they're living with family or in a trailer or a shack and are all working menial jobs and struggling to find something to do with their lives. In Harvest Moon every girl's already got a set job and character (baker, bartender, flower girl, etc.) but in Stardew Valley everyone's trapped in the rut that anybody who graduated from college in this recession can relate to and it's only through getting to know the player character that they break out of it: Elliott finally finishes his book, Sebastian starts making a game on his own instead of doing contract work, Emily starts to expand her interest in sewing into a viable career, Shane copes with his depression at working at JojaMart by finding meaning in his life doing things outside of work like raising chickens and making movies, etc. Even the people who live on their own and have careers like Penny and Harvey have similar problems with being unsatisfied that they reveal to you and work through with your help.

Granted, that doesn't make it any less compelling when you start the game and nobody's really all that interesting but at least it's something. Even people you can't romance have some things going on beneath the surface, like Marnie and Lewis having an affair on the sly which you discover when a sidequest to find the mayor's missing pants is solved by you finding them in her bedroom, or the fact that there's an ongoing war with a rival nation that you only ever learn about through offhanded references from the traveling cart merchant and a soldier character who returns home in your second year with PTSD from being held in a POW camp.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

The official Nintendo magazine from the UK called the ps2 the "greystation poo", and for some reason that was okay

Sega Dreampants

Sakurazuka posted:

You used to get adverts where companies would directly poo poo talk the competition's consoles, it was a simpler time.

I did like that one time when an official Nintendo magazine gave a glowing preview to 40 Winks and then it became a Playstation exclusive so the ads for a PSX game had a glowing endorsement from their competitor :owned:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

chumbler posted:

Star Citizen is still a thing people care about?

Yes, but thankfully the owners of this site cordoned it off into its own section so everyone else doesn't have to be subjected to the incredibly sane and funny people who have been making the exact same handful of posts about its impending failure every day for three years now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of terrible space games run by independently wealthy conmen with delusional fans, any news of No Man's Sky's big content update that's totally going to add in basebuilding and multiplayer and actual interesting worlds and creatures?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/336877677753532416

Also the main character of Gears of War is named Marcus Fenix because the game rose from the ashes of Cliffy N's failed marriage, like a phoenix~

FanaticalMilk posted:

Somebody posted a picture of the Hello Games' studio on reddit/imgur that made it look like they had gone out of business, or at least were no longer working out of the address people knew them to be at.

To be fair, the fact that disgruntled customers were tracking down their physical address to post pictures of it to the internet is a pretty good argument for going into hiding :v:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

It's actually kind of poo poo but I like it anyway

Really it's impressive from coming from such a small crew tho

I enjoyed Roundabout as a shameless clone of Kuru Kuru Kururin with a wacky FMV aesthetic but 100ft Robot Golf gives me pause because the idea of making golf even more slow by turning all the players into giant robots sounds like the kind of thing that should have never made it past the planning stages.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

DQ Builders

Slimecraft :yum:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

"Inspired by cartoons of the 1930s"

So, nothing but racism and Nazis?

They did actually have to change the design of the game's devil character after people pointed out that giving an evil character pitch-black skin and big lips had really troubling connotations in America.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What colour should represent poison in games? Green or purple?

In The Suffering the fact that the poisonous gas is bright green instead of transparent like it was in actual gas chambers is because the evil ghost executioner who uses it colored it green so his victims could see it coming. Always thought that was a cool little detail.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

Mario Paint was something I was so into as a kid that even though I was barely old enough to be able to read I got a bunch of books on music theory from the library and taught myself musical notation just so I could make my Game Boy boop/Cat meow/Taxi horn symphonies that much better. I also spent hours painstakingly recreating sprites for games like Street Fighter 2 off of Nintendo Power screenshots even though I had never actually played it because it was too violent. Years later when I got a Windows 95 PC I would mimic making grudimentary animations in Mario Paint by holding the PgDn key to make the pages of each document flash by like individual frames of film.

It's kind of depressing that now that I finally live in a world where countless game creation engines and art programs and music synthesizer programs are free and have all the documentation and support you could ever want I've lost all interest in those things, if something like Unity had existed when I was a kid my head would probably have exploded.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You are mistaking complaining with mocking. People are mocking the game, Chris Roberts and the backers.

No, people understand that just fine. It's just that mock threads are unilaterally terrible because once they burn through the handful of actual funny things to mock it becomes a bunch of people stalking and harassing everyone involved with the thing they're mocking in between reciting the same handful of "jokes" over and over in increasingly humorless and angry tones.

That's how over the course of three years you go from having a good laugh over people pledging thousands of dollars on non-existent space ships in a game that doesn't exist to assembling the entire timeline of the life of one man who works for the game's company while going on witch hunts to purge the totally existent and malicious spies from other forums trying to get in the way of you continuing to repeat that people arepledging thousands of dollars on non-existent space ships in a game that doesn't exist.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lazorexplosion posted:

lmao if you joined Something Awful but you get upset by ludicrous mock threads.

Oh yeah that's another awful byproduct of mock threads, circling the wagons and accusing anybody who criticizes them of being either deeply offended or a member of the group being mocked. Or both. Really anything to keep from turning that gaze inward.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

What is your favorite video game special feature?

I like the Darkness graffiti video because that stuff was neat to see they got actual graffiti guys to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJUao2bFjjc&t=3472s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How can you say that when we live in a world where Pepsiman exists, has his own game and has his own canon where he's the brother of a Convoy named Pepsi Convoy?

oddium posted:

we also got the genesis mcdonald's game which was baller, from treasure of gunstar heroes/dynamite headdy/mischief makers fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqM_lSK_egE

It even has a designated "You didn't say UNO!" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I just got done watching the 2014 movie Whiplash. It was pretty good, and thought I know this wasn't the kind of movie it was going for, I wish that at the end fletcher had gotten some more comeuppance because god was he a massive rear end in a top hat. Hilarious to watch, but a complete rear end in a top hat and he really deserved to get hosed over more than he did.

Somewhat gaming related, I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Westworld and it's kind of amazing that HBO is making a prestige drama that's basically about the NPCs in an open world game becoming aware of how awful their existences are. It even has quest-givers getting brushed aside by experienced players and recycled assets and a high-level powergamer loving around with the game to try and find hidden content. The second episode even has a tutorial segment and people rolling into the beginner town on a train after they finish customizing their character.

• Locked thread