Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm thinking of making my 2017 Gaming themed. In that, each month I play a specific kind of game and only that sort of game for the whole month in order to whittle down my backlog.

So far I have

Japanuary - Jrpgs and games from the Japanese developers.
Fpsbruary - 1st person shooters only.
March -
April -
May -
June -
July -
August -
September -
Spooktober - Scary games/games designed to create fear.
Neverember - Classics I own that I've never gotten round to (scary amount of this).
Indecember - Indie Games.

Can anyone help with suggestions months and styles of games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

I'm back from vacation, did I miss some games?

Did you!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have not played Quantum Break. Most games I've played with the word Quantum in the title have been pretty poor.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have Last of Us on my PS3 and the only reason I've not gotten round to it yet is because I have the uncharted trilogy to play first. That, coupled with the fact that I am so poor at the shooting in Uncharted and can't finish it means that it'll probably go in my month of not having played good games next year.

I want to like uncharted and I do enjoy the exploration and puzzles, but when the fighting happens I groan and die over and over.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also thank you to the people who suggested things for the other months. I am afraid I am not doing Boss Month (because I'd have to be decent enough to reach bosses) so I'm going for my own things.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have decided on my final list for "Gaming in the Year 2017".

Japanuary - Jrpgs and games from Japanese developers.
Fpsbruary - 1st person shooters only.
March! - RTS/Grand Strategy games
April Scours - Metroidvanias and Exploration games.
May Day! - Twin Stick Shooters/Shootemups
Randomly Junerated - Roguelikes and procedurally generated games.
Boo-ly - Spooky/scary/fearful games in the summer
Au-gust - Golden Oldies. Games older than 2010 that I've never played and should have.
Searchtember - Point and Click/Hidden object games.
Coin-optober - Arcade Games.
Novelember - Visual Novels/Story Centric Games.
Indiecember - Indie Games.

I think all of those should provide for a varied and exciting year. All of the games I play will be ones I have never played. I will play predominately PC games but I also own a PS3, a PS Vita, a New3DS and a WiiU. I will also have a thread for it where people can tell me which game I should be playing or comment on how bad I am doing. I may even record video (I tried a bit of dark souls the other day and it didn't go as well as I'd like so I have a few months to get the skills down).

If anyone has any game recommendations for the months then please let me know! I think it's going to be an interesting 365 days! I'd like to buy a brand new game for each month too, so if one that fits is released then I'll get it! (I've not bought brand new games in years - thanks sales!)

Roll on :2017:!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I can't accept any list that has the horror games not in October, sorry.

This is what makes it fun! Going against the norm!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

For Coin-optober you should see if you live near any arcades and play any game you can find that would be impossible to emulate properly because of the cabinet design and play that because they're unique experiences that won't exist once the hardware breaks

This is an incredible idea! I will do my best to find such a place.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have added Freedom Force to my March! game play list. It seems it fits that category best.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played an Alternity campaign with my best friend for about two years. It was just he as the DM and me as the main character. It was the most fun I've ever had playing table top games and I love them to bits. We used to play at school, over ICQ and small snatches in between. It was definitely an epic tale of his, but luckily he was very good at thinking on the fly and making it fun.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

credburn posted:

Just Doomy things

Try the demo! It's a fun representation of the finished product.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm excited for the NeXt console I am going to own!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am exceptionally excited for the Nintendo Switch! I will be getting one of those!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

get on my level

If your level is buying a switch on day one then I am there!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Don't buy consoles on day one.

Why not? I really want to enjoy the Nintendo switch!
I love my WiiU so very much.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's OK. Gaming is my only vice!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm Switched on!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If the Switch has a similar library to the WiiU then I will be satisfied.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

hello revoke my previous extremely good thread titles: call the thread "Thrill-Switch Engage"

I will totally rename this thread that if Palpek doesn't want to use it for the NX thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I said this in the wrong thread!!! I am the worst mod.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Looper posted:

I found a really good set up guide for Nintendont that doesn't assume you're a pro who knows exactly what you're doing, if you're interested

Please!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My first experience with a Kirby game was last year in March when I got my WiiU.

Actually, the day I got my WiiUI was the beginning of my great era of gaming because I got to experience a ton of games I'd never had access to.

I am a big fan of Kirby!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
After a delightful business trip to Italy I am back and ready to game the heck out of video gaming!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sounds rad as f.

My absolute favourite thing was the pantheon. I have never seen such an impressive building. Also it is goddamn nuts that they have no real idea what it's made out of other than some olden days concrete that they cannot replicate!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lobok posted:

Did you make an Oculus Rift joke when looking up at the ceiling?

Your status as mod hinges on your answer.

I am afraid I did not. I don't know much about VR as it doesn't interest me too much so I am unsure on the connection with the Rift and the Pantheon. :(

I did manage to use my old latin schooling to roughly translate the inscription on the outside though!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Good lord it didn't even occur to me. I am a bad gamer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite thing about Smash Brothers WiiU is the ability to sit in the menu and listen to all the music. I'm a huge fan of video game music.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

What about playing the game

I am very bad at it but I can beat the CPU on easy most of the time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My best friend put me in his Xcom game and he said I was the luckiest soldier who didn't die throughout the whole campaign. I kept getting criticals and having near deaths then resting, then getting out there and killing three aliens at a time. It made me feel quite badass.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ok!!! Give me your two favorite colors.

Can I be on the backup squad? Orange and Yellow!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

They'll never see you coming.

I am in utter love with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also SERGEANT KIRBY SUPERSCARE, SEASON 2

Game versions of me are always so much cooler than I could ever dream to be and it is awesome!

• Locked thread