Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well, here comes the month when all the games I want are coming out. Between DQ Builders, World of FF, Civ 6, and 100 Foot Robot Golf, good lord I am going to spend too much on video games over the next couple months.

That on top of a couple spooky Halloween themed games I'm planning ok getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
My toadshake brings all the shyguys to the yard

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I forgot about Mirror's Edge, I'll have to grab that on the cheap too. I didn't really mind the fighting segments in the first game either.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I thought "potato face" was a criticism of Elderscrolls specifically and that Bethesda's newest games were finally pulling out of it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
His ego was riding insufferably high for a while during his time at the Lakers but otherwise, yeah he's pretty good dude.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Kids do care tho.

Because I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat.

This and also this.

But yeah, kids who are unaware of the diversity argument at a higher level just grow up with a Star Wars movie where the main characters were a white lady and black dude and that's probably healthy for their world view and will lead to fewer weird nerds getting angry that some video game made by an international dev team had a Hispanic lady MC. RLM can suck it. Their Phantom Menace criticism was the only thing they made worth a drat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

the plinkett reviews are neat for introducing a bunch of people to film critique but man that framing device is rear end

Agreed. It got really tiresome by the third one I saw so I stopped watching them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh I discovered a neat thing while getting into Rayman Legends again - pressing the X button was starting to actually hurt my finer so I used the PS4's accessibility settings to swap it to R1 and it's making the game a lot more enjoyable.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Furry hate remains one of the uniting factors among all goons.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That is some terrible parenting. Should be Aerith obviously.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Before the games got big, Zelda was an old-fashioned Jewish or east European name. I think it still could work.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

as someone who's played her fair share of nuclear throne and is very good at it, gungeon is slow and methodical to me. i never feel like i'm going to die in the next five seconds if i can't read the situation and make a plan extremely quickly like when i spawn in 5-1+ L1 and three rad dogs are staring me down. gungeon just isn't about how well the player can do. also i hate the designs and the weapons

people who don't do well in spelunky often don't kill shopkeepers

always kill shopkeepers

I agree with that. Nuclear Throne is good but Gungeon is too slow for its own good. On the other hand, I really liked Rogue Legacy. Not as much as other roguelitelikelifes like Nuclear Throne or FTL but Ghosts and Goblins with family trees and randomly generated maps and puzzles was fun. It was on the easier side but that isn't necessarily a knock against it.

Golden Goat posted:

This can't be real:

My god go back to the low detail style.

Bert and Ernie sure are mad with each other.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Speaking of Pixel games, they just announced a sequel to The Escapist and I always find it funny when an "8-bit but better" pixel art game gets a sequel and they upgrade it to a "16-bit but better" pixel art game. Like graphical upgrades are supposed to be because of better hardware but in pixel games these days it's arbitrary as hell and just a choice so the upgrade to give an illusion of progress and just not being a complete rehash seems so silly and almost cynical to me.

I always harp on this but higher res means more time spent on art/sprite work/animation which means it costs more money so for the developers, it's not an arbitrary upgrade. That's why there's low res and pixel art. It's cheap to make.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 4, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Underwear you wear on your face, it'll be a hit in Japan.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If I had notch money, I'd end every sentence in any deal or retail situation with "rest assured money is no object" leading to

Macaluso posted:

The Doritos Locos taco doesn't taste like anything but a normal hard shell taco, which isn't a problem but it is more expensive so it ends up feeling like a pointless addition to the menu but I appreciate your pun anyway, friend

When money is no object, you can Doritos Locos everything. And I would.

I actually feel kinda bad because the last time this came up, I said I'd "do all of the drugs and gently caress all the hookers and when woken from the year-long haze, I'd build a studio to make my own vanity game project that is everything I want it to be" and it appears notch is maybe halfway there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You guys figure out if VR is any good and let me know later, I'm gonna keep playing Mario and Final Fantasy and Civilization.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

what was the first indie game and does that question really mean anything

It means about as much as claiming you made the first indie game in 2008 and that means when you say you hate adventure games, it sure means something, I guess

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I think Final Fantasy 15 might actually be bad!

This looks neat, like Dungeon Master and Badman. Do you get to manage monsters?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nope! It's a tower defense game - one of the best ones on Steam, just behind Immortal Defense. You set up traps and try to funnel heroes into your whirling sawblades of death.

The closest you get to managing monsters is that you can set a trap that summons demons that will fight for you, and they'll respawn if they get killed.

The tower defense I've played most is the Kingdom Rush series on iPad which I thought were very fun if not as free form as the old ones I played as SC and WC3 custom maps. Is this one comparable in the sense that there is a progression and different maps or challenges?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've only played a little of Kingdom Rush on steam, but I just booted up Dungeon Warfare for some screencaps, so!

Here's the main map screen. Each icon is a map, and they have varying layouts and paths and so on. The ones on the right get very, very difficult and you can see where I'm still figuring out how to solve the later maps.

Every map has these difficulty modifier runes. You can toggle on as many or as few as you'd like, and one of them is Endless mode - or easy mode.

Setting up a level is like this:

You pick from your available traps, plonk them down around the level, and killing heroes gets you more resources which you use to build more traps. So it's kind of resource management - buy more dart traps, or upgrade them, or save up for the sawblades or thunderbolt traps. You can earn XP through the levels to power-up traps too, and it gets fairly complex.

I like it a lot!

Very cool, looks like a similar progression to Kingdom Rush but with more classic gameplay. I'm giving it a buy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I have fond memories of playing dominos with my grandma :unsmith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

I am getting to be the same way. I have a huge pile of games that I keep stupidly buying because they look interesting, but just can't drum up the will to play them after getting home from work late and making dinner because they're all a big time and often energy investment. I end up just playing a game or two of hearthstone or something and then doing nothing the rest of the night.

Video games are too much work now that I am an Old and also bad at work-life balance.

One thing I did that helped with this is not buying so many games and, if I did get a game that I was not interested in, just dropping it and not committing to completing it. Rather than committing to some stupid backlog, I focus on games that I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying a game, there's no point in trudging through. When I was younger sure, but now I don't have time for that because of the whole work/life balance.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Wasn't the PC release a complete mess? Did they fix it?

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 7, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I played two separate DnD 4e campaigns with different groups. Had a lot of fun with the first one but moved away. Second one went for 6 months once a week and ended when one guy made some racist comments during a session and pissed off the DM's wife and then it came out that everyone secretly hated the racist guy but never brought it up. He was incredibly unfun to play with. I played a Star Wars campaign with some of the same people and it was fun until one of the people involved got overly obsessed with their character and started writing fan fiction about the game and sharing it on occasion at sessions and it was very awkward to me and I had to stop playing with them. Tabletop people can be weird.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Tuesday game releases annoy me when something is coming out soon that I want to play. DQ Builders is out on Tuesday. It's the weekend for me now. I want to be playing it now. But I have to wait until Tuesday and will be super busy with work stuff next week and won't really get to play until Friday. Why not just release it when I'm ready to play, is what I'm saying.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StripNebulosa's suggestion has been making the wait for DQB bearable though. Pretty fun, although the game will occasionally throw a bunch of BS on the last wave and I am always tempted to use too many runes on each map.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

The Steep beta started today, but its under NDA

That's one I'm curious about. It looks fun and I like winter games stuff. Haven't had any good ones since SSX.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I knew you'd eventually have a good opinion. :unsmith:

Always have faith in the games, friend.

On the topic of escapism, I think most games have that risk. There's a simplicity to them, a focus that makes outside problems fade away and it can really activate that dopamine circuit. It's not a bad thing on its own but it can become bad if you don't keep it in perspective. I used to have extremely strong feelings about MMORPG's in that I felt that they distilled the most addictive aspects of pure game escapism but I've since softened a bit on that since I realized that for some people who have problems with being social because of personality issues or being on the spectrum, it can allow them to be social in a controlled environment that they feel comfortable with. I had to swear them off myself though because they just seem to suck the life out of me and turn me into a depressed husk, though. Games with a definitive beginning and end work best for me. Even sandbox games like Sim City/Cities XL or Rimworld still have a progression to each game that makes them easier on me in this way. Grand strategy games can be addictive but they too have endings I can shoot for and the turn-based nature, while addictive in that "one more turn" sense, can be put down to go attend to other parts of my life when I need to.

Anyway, too many serious words about vidya.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 8, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Tentacle men must die

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Beat Dark Souls III :toot:

Except the Nameless King, gently caress that guy :confuoot:

Check out my King Vendrick costume

Nice! I summoned 2 peeps to help me kill Nameless king because yes, gently caress that guy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

so you're saying the protagonist is everyone else's manic pixie dream girl

Manic Stardew Dream Person, to be more specific.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Finished all the Rayman Legends stuff that isn't Origins and annoyed about the Origins stuff. On one hand, it's neat that they put the whole game in Legends, but on the other hand, it's annoying to link it to game unlocks. I can't collect all the silly creatures without replaying all of Origins, which I've already plat'ed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

smh if you don't call them all Nintendo like your gramma does.

The kids and their Nintardos

I always said Nintendo and Super Nintendo, though occasionally NES and SNES. I never heard "sness" and "nez" until talking with Brit goons last year.

Meanwhile, Sega was always "the Sega" until the Dreamcast came out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
When my best friend in elementary school wanted a Super Nintendo for his birthday, his mom refused that year under the reasoning that there would just be a "Super Duper Nintendo" the next year.

I kind of wish there was.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen's single player mode, Squadron 42 has been delayed indefinitely. :lol: This comes directly from Chris Robert himself.

That was the one part of the whole thing I would have played. Oh well :sigh:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rymdresa is...weird. You fly around dodging asteroids and looking for poetry. It's fantastically ambient and lonely and hard, and it's not..feel-good, but I wanted to mention it because it's the only game I've ever seen that rewards you with poetry. I wish more games did, honestly.

This sounds really neat. Putting it on my wishlist.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It seems weird to me to buy a console for a racing game but then, the last racing game I played that didn't involve shooting turtle shells was GT3 on the PS2.

Snak posted:

Did DQ Builders come out today? I hope to buy it on the way home...

Yep, and I bought it. I'd be playing it right now except I have work. Speaking of console exclusives...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

goferchan posted:

I'm not a big racing game guy but Forza Horizon game is more of a "driving game" along the lines of Burnout Paradise or something

Burnout was pretty solid. I didn't know there was a line of Forza games with that more "arcade" feel. Neat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I used to watch friends in my high school computer lab play Tetris at max speed. It almost caused me a panic attack and I wasn't even playing. They seemed to enjoy it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Do you think you're still going to start the game as a terrorist in the FF7 remake?

Ecoterrorism is kind of passé, I'm sure they'll still have AVALANCHE being AVALANCHE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Mechanically it's like comparing San Andreas to GTA3 - it's basically the same, but more and streamlined. I wasn't nearly as hot on the first one as some people, but Second fixes literally every problem I had with the first and even some I didn't notice until they'd been fixed.

Ultimately it's still a very shallow experience - there's basically no exploration or side stuff (yes, there are Side Stories but I think that them being technically "optional" doesn't change the fact that they play out identically to the main game). I don't think you even have the option of turning off Quest Markers that show you exactly where to go (including the "Side" missions) and even if you could, it'd be masochistic rather than liberating.

It's a lot better in the writing department though - it's hilarious and cute, way moreso than the first one. As long as you like the FF5-style Job System you should be good (since that's all the game is).

Catmancer is an epically mediocre Job though, there's nothing wrong with it but it's not very impressive either. It's basically Blue Mage but better at combat.

The Chef class though, woof, that thing sucks.

I preferred the story and writing in the first game though that is entirely subjective. The second one definitely more cute and silly to the first one's usually dark tone.

• Locked thread