Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hello games chat. I have a shoulder injury that does not allow for me to sit at a computer for awhile. Please game safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

tetris is too easy to care about

I played Tetris on a bad airplane controller during a long flight and got the airplane high score back in June, but it did not put me to sleep like I'd hoped.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Was it a gaming-related injury? :ohdear:

sort of. I work in an office and for awhile I was playing a lot of Skyrim, and also I sleep the worst way you can sleep for your shoulder. I do exercises 5 times a day and may soon get to the point where I can again slay vampires. Keep me in yoiur prayers to St. Waluigi.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Well I bought DQ Builders.

That seems like the perfect kind of thing for my OCD "mash buttons, gain imaginary points, build stuff with the points" personality but i don't have a PS4.

Has it been good, Snak?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Oh I'm not even home yet.

what the gently caress snak. how am i supposed to scratch the leveling up itch vicariously if you don't race to your place of residence and build giant slime towers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Well now i cant install because there's not enough space in system storage. Not that it will tell me how much space it needs. My poo poo keeps getting corrupted though because despite having over 30 gigs free, it never has enough space for anything. I fixed it once, but it took like 8 hours and basically only stayed fixed for a few days.

I had that problem with my Wii U twice. Condolences. I will say a few Hail Peach prayers and hope that you soon gain access to your Dragon Quest sandbox building adventure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember wanting a better PC in 2003 so that I could play some more Myst games, abstractly understanding that there were at least two more of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

the 3ds has so many good games... :wth:

handheld is also out until my shoulder recovers, so it's 1) watching my brother play fallout 4, or 2) console games on the wii u for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I decided to play Mario Galaxy to test out whether my shoulder can handle motion controls. 7 years later and it's still a good game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He voices the dragon on top of the mountain in Skyrim and I'm glad somebody made mods that make him just say "Yahoooo!!" in the Mario voice in between. That mod creator was doing the lord's work.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Sim City (SNES) - I loved this game, and tried so hard to get my city to the last stage. (Megalopolis?) I never got that drat Mario statue!

It turns out that game is so busted, you can basically only get to Megalopolis by cheating or doing a lot of bizarre, weird poo poo that seems really counter-intuitive. My brothers and I spent hours trying too though, lol.

The game that played a lot as a kid was Night Stalker, for the Intellivision. I wanted to get to the Invisible Robot, but I never did.

I think Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior 3 were probably the games we played the most as kids, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Apparently Star Citizen devs started producing merchandise for specific ship jpgs that they're selling:

This is an exclusive offer from a brochure for the latest ship jpg that itself costs $750.

Are... are those Star Citizen Magic cards? Is there also supposed to be a collectible trading card game with Star Citizen? lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

me, rolling some d&d dice: looks like. 500 people bought uh. hang on table check. $600 spaceship wow. make a will save or endure another star citizen story

It's a little fun to laugh at the people spending zillions of dollars but every time I silently hope "Maybe the space game will be good this time, and once it's actually out I can buy it, for a normal game price."

I like having more good games more than I like laughing at people.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really i just want another game like Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters, or else something sort of like what No Man's Sky shoulda been.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

im sure your roommate also loved this conversation right in the middle of the show

Lots of people make it a point to watch a show together every week and socialize over it, munching some popcorn and talking about the show. It's not hard to just talk when the show takes beats, particularly for something on one of the premium channels, and in this incredible age of On Demand viewing, you can even rewind if someone talks over one of the characters. It's fun!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lowest tier -- trying to be the MST3k robots in a loud, nasally nerd voice, laughing at one's own jokes and talking over the entire program.
low tier -- yelling "QUIET!! I'M TRYING TO WATCH!" whenever anyone so much as rustles in their seat

the tiers above that all involve some amount of polite conversation, bathroom breaks, and premium HBO-level snacks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

i would choose white hat, and also angel wings 👼

what if the white hat is goofy looking, but the black hat makes your avatar look wicked awesome, and smart?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*whispering* the black hat gives you extra XP... if that farmer really NEEDED you to bring him the potion, he'd pay you all of his gold. take the black hat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

The worst is making somebody watch something you've already seen, then repeatedly rolling it back when they talk over something.

I am lucky to have never encountered this one. We'll stick it between the mst wannabie and the sound of silence insister.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

People fighting about game genres isn't new though. There were endless threads made about whether or not Diablo 1 is an RPG. It doesn't matter.

It's not just games, either. People fight about genre in TV, movies, and the fiercest fighting ground is probably novels, where "genre" itself is practically a loving swear word for people who consider themselves "literary" or "up-market."

The classifications can be helpful but the Zelda II "this is both more and less of an RPG than most Zelda games, depending on what you are looking for" thing will always exist. Context clues are helpful when discussing amorphous and abstract things like genre.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like if the classification for RPGs is just "you earn at least one kind of point which you can spend for character advancement" then fewer and fewer games don't count anymore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Don't start one of those Dungeons and Dragons edition arguments in which one side keeps talking about recalcitrant grognards and one side talkes about system complexity as being bad for actual roleplaying; they're old and boring.

I do think it is very funny that Paizo took the Wizards marketing model and turned it on its head, almost stealing one of their major products out from under them, but both system designs have their flaws and their strengths and both companies have disgusting people working for them, so who cares?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

I don't like their game design but that really isn't a good reason to hate a company. WOTC on the other hand has literal MRAs as their advisors in 5e.

Yeah, the 5e team definitely has some terrible people and I don't know what they were thinking. It doesn't seem to match the identity Wizards is trying to build as a brand, even if you consider the printed materials from the product itself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wizards is a really interesting company to watch because so much of what they do is built on niche interests that in theory should have a ton of competition, so they have to lean on brand. Like, with the proliferation of trading card mobile games, I liked watching Magic adjust. The online version sort of can't compete with the new games because the timing system for Magic makes digital versions really, really slow, so they actively worked on brand stuff and all of a sudden, people who didn't play the game are getting back into it.

I dunno, I like watching how the market works with nerd poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the only flaws about the great gift to us all that is video games is that, because are based around reaction times and assemble around a monitor, even a multiplayer game can be a bit difficult to arrange social events around in person. I look forward to the day technology allows me to install video games inside tables that do not involve manual dexterity, and what Charlie Brooker will be writing about them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whatever D&D they play in Netflix drama, Stranger Things, gets my vote, which I assume is either some confusing second edition variant or non-existent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Should I buy the first Witcher game on Steam once I'm done with Skyrim? I don't think the new Witcher will run on my desktop.

I'm looking forward to saving up the next year to replace the ancient thing, aybe finally play Obduction.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not a Children posted:

The first witcher has an interesting story but is clunky as all hell. I'd recommend watching a playthrough unless you really want to check it out.

What about Witcher number 2? Or should I just wait until I can make 3 work?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

more than four people makes any fight an endless waste of time.

This complaint is way more true of Pathfinder/3.5, though IMO. After about level 6 every goddamn monster grapples whenever it attacks, someone has prestiged into taking 4 attacks of opportunity every time something moves, and some person is taking 7 attacks with 2 weapons, each of which the monsters have different levels of resistence to. Every combat becomes an endless slog of interruptions and reactions. And this is coming from someone who preferred Pathfinder.

Like, 4.0's combat was very same-y, but it's kind of absurd to assert that more system complexity makes combat run smoother or quicker.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, D&D has basically always been a video game where people have to keep track of the numbers instead of computers, so there's a lot of "Is the bard's singing on? We have haste right? Do I count as flanking?" in places where the computer would just tell you whether you hit or missed, and you're rolling 6-10 dice instead of just waiting for the computer to grab something out of its RNG. It's advantage is that it lets you be creative and do things the game developers wouldn't have thought to allow you to do during scenarios, and, like all tabletop games, it allows for people to move at their own pace without having to hit a pause button, so it's easier to do it socially. Combat is always going to be a slog of numbers and geometry.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The DQ minecraft game is making me wish that I had a PS4. Like really, it's what dragon quest has always needed, is a way for you to assemble a bunch of stuff with what you grind for.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

It's also on Vita if you have that. Not PSTV compatible afaik

i just have a PC, a Wii U and a 3DS, and the PC basically needs allof its parts replaced soon, so it's unlikely i'll be able to get a PS4 any time soon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Ah well. At least in the future if you pick up a PS4 DQB will be cheaper! I'm interested in personally but I spent most of the last month playing DQ7 so I need a little DQ reprieve before getting builders

I burned myself out once by playing 1, 2, and 3 all at the same time. Say safe,m games, and don't over-inject yourself with Slime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

My biggest beef with D&D is that it's THE name that average people associate with pen and paper rpgs. I've known lots of people who play D&D and never know anyone who plays anything else.

My favorite systems use FATE, but I do have to admit that almost every other one I tried, which was admittedly half a decade ago at this point, had problems with character advancement. Character creation is great in a lot of other systems, but not so much leveling up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I am, however, looking forward to the new ang Lee movie because he shot it at 120fps and that will look insane on a theatre screen

I haven't seen one of the high frame rate movies yet. I hear some people complaining that it had a "soap opera feel" to the movement, which is something that definitely bothers me on new TVs when they have that setting on, but they're two really different things, so I want to try sometime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Interpolation is dumb because it's inventing images that a filmmaker never created

Right, like, it looks artificial because it is. I can't watch it, it's way too jarring on my eyes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Anybody who's ever played a Dragon Quest game is lolling right now

*metal babble runs away*

No! I'm sure that was the one with the armor!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Great Joe posted:

I tried watching his video on Quake and this guy is way too in love with his own voice.

My problem with almost all of them is either that, or that they sound like some kind of even more annoying Zach Braff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am gathering that maybe I should skip ahead to Mega Man II and come back to the original later.

If you do that, just keep in mind that the Quick Man stage and several of the Dr. Wily levels are also going to have punishing difficulty. I still think they're all worth playing, but if you start getting frustrated, I still use save states when I'm playing some of the original series, but I can very easily beat Mega Man X without losing a life. I don't take damage for three stages. There's that much of a difference in difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think I ever beat 9 or 10. One of these days I should go back and try. I like easy games these, though, where I can just collect stuff, level up, and earn virtual prizes.

• Locked thread