Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you. It seemed really well suited for that and it would have allowed people who have trouble with the rules to play with veterans without problem, as well as sped up combat considerably.

It's actually loving astounding that they never made a turn-based strategy RPG based on the ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

It's not "astounding", it's well known the people in a position to greenlight this kinda thing really didn't like what 4e turned out to be (good) and wanted to move on asap. This is why a bunch of updates to the DnD app thingie were saved for the release of Next/5e. But it sure does suck.

I mean yeah, I get it, it's just like... it's crazy to me that nobody in a position to set that kind of thing up realized what a gold mine it could be, if only because of how incredibly easy that game would be to develop. They could've straight up ported every single number from the books and it would've been a more balanced game than something like Dragon Age: Origins.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

With the right people.

Which is like a caveat to any/all multiplayer game experiences. Assholes and morons can ruin any multiplayer game, especially tabletop/in-person ones, and even the worst games can be salvaged by fun friends and good beers.

Everybody should play D&D at least once.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

the trad games subforum on here is actually really dope.

It is, but goddamn do tabletop games lend themselves to some hot-rear end takes.

Everybody is fun and nice when you're talking about Kirby but for some reason tabletop RPGs make people go crazy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Just out of curiosity, how many hit points does a newborn baby have when first born? When it comes time to make a death saving roll due to stressful childbirth, what is to be rolled against for the baby?

For example, lets assume we have a Mother whose HT is 11, and is giving birth to a child in a late TL 2 society. We have a mid-wife who is attending the mother's birthing process, so the final HT saving roll for the mother is rolled against HT+1(standard roll) +2 (TL bonus for midwife) for a modified 13 or less roll. Rolling a 15, the fates have decreed that this child should have a difficult entry into the world.

So, rolling the dice, it seems the fates are determined to be unkind, and the mother suffers 5 (correction: 10 because it is doubled) fatigue in the beginning stages of childbirth. During the final portion of childbirth, the fates are unkind again, and this time, a critical failure results. This means that instead of 2d6 fatigue damage to the mother, she suffers 2d6 x 2. Rolling an 8, we find that the poor mother suffers enough damage through childbirth, that she suffers a total of 5 + 16 (Correction: 26 fatigue not 21) or 21 points of fatigue. Since her Fatigue level is 10, she suffers a total of 11 points of damage (Correction: 16). Per the rules, any actual damage suffered by the mother, is also suffered in equal measure by the child (per LOW TECH COMPANION 1). So, at this point, the child has suffered what amounts to 11 (correction: 16) points of damage.

Per page 20 of GURPS CHARACTERS, we find that an infant has 30% of their ST (and consequently HP) plus perhaps a HT at their normal adult range, or maybe -1 overall. So, assuming a HT 10 Baby, with a ST of 3 - we have a child whose HP value is listed as 3, and HT 9. Damage of 11 points will place the child at zero points, plus -HT at 6 points of damage, and requires a second Death saving roll when damage reaches a total of 11 points. A third death saving roll is required at -16 points.

Am I doing this right?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Do you think you're still going to start the game as a terrorist in the FF7 remake?

Yeah, and it'll be fine/nobody will care. They won't change the part of the game everyone remembers the most enough to change that, but they may throw in some additional scenes or throwaway dialogue in which Cloud accuses Barrett of it while they're trading barbs or Rufus tries to throw it in your face or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well if you're using anything but red for fire you better have a drat good reason.

wtf??? fire is orange, not red, and red can be used for other things like bleeding status while orange is pretty much useless otherwise

also idk what this curse status stuff is; something has to be darkness elemental, which is purple, or black if you're using purple for poison/toxic

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

What about using numbers for HP

Depends highly on the game. In some games like turn-based strategy HP are the best way, because they allow you to make tactical decisions if damage is exact or calculated risks if damage is semi-random (i.e. 1d4+4).

Some games don't need the granularity of displayed HP though.

I like when games that don't have an easy-to-read HP number (even a count of blocks, like in Castlevania or Mega Man) give you a "grace" period upon taking lethal damage, like leave you with an empty bar and then you can get hit one more time. I think it's a fair way for games that abstract the display of health to avoid killing you from a hit you thought you could just barely survive, which encourages players to do more daring or exciting things, which is good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, another pet peeve in things like strategy: if the game is displaying things like hit percentages, don't loving lie about them. If you're rounding or fudging numbers, always do so in the player's favor. Streak protection to HELP the player in a singleplayer game is fine, but don't tell me something has a 50% chance to hit and then have the actual chance be lower or 0 because I've hit too many times in a row, for example.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

Games shouldn't be shackled to colors because of choices made by other games. Let the devs make whatever color choices they feel work with their art direction.

Certainly. But I do think it's fine for games, especially complex ones like RPGs and strategy that often have a lot to learn, to respect an intuitive shared language for basic elements unless they have a great reason to break it.

Like if you make health blue and mana red you better have a drat good explanation for yourself!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Kingdom Death Monsters is a board game that I wish was better than it apparently ended up being.

This game is giving me all kinds of mixed feelings. Like it looks cool as hell and the monster designs are great, but it also seems kind of like an embarrassing gross thing, and the basic set costs like $500.

Thanks for sharing this confusion with me, dude.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Unfunny Poster posted:

How is everyone's video gaming this fine October?

I ain't got time for it but I'm looking forward to digging into FF15 and Pokemon over the holidays. I'd like to play Darkest Dungeon

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

Learning to work as a team is trash.

It's important but some of the lessons you learn - like that there's such a thing as good teams, where people have compatible personalities and skills to shore up one another's weaknesses, and bad teams, where they don't - can come at the cost of grades. That hurts if you're, say, on an academic scholarship.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Both low-level 4E and 5E D&D are totally fine game systems to learn with. Older editions not so much.

If you and your friends are just starting out, the best game to learn is the one everybody's interested in. It doesn't even really matter if the game is amazing (since you're not going to be a great GM your first time anyway) or if you're doing it right (which you won't on your first time), what really matters is that everyone is motivated enough to get into it and try. Stuff with recognizable branding like D&D and Star Wars is good for that, and have multiple game systems so you can pick the best/most newbie friendly/newest/whatever version (and solicit lots of good advice about which version that is) instead of having to rifle through used bookstores for rules or run your whole game off of PDFs.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Whatever D&D they play in Netflix drama, Stranger Things, gets my vote, which I assume is either some confusing second edition variant or non-existent.

Most likely 1st edition AD&D (2E wasn't out yet when Stranger Things is set), playing fast-and-loose with rules and narrative because they're kids.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

i cant believe yet another GOTY, disney magical world 2, is here

it truly is a small world after all

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

evangelion congratulations etc

Bicyclops posted:

Falling Down is the original Grand Theft Auto game.

I'm not sure I follow, it feels politically opposite of those gta games that it isn't tonally opposite of (4 is the one I'm thinking of the most)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh, westworld is a really good show that has scenarios and characters that probably make particular sense or are relateable to gamers and game designers and everybody itt should be watching it

even if it didn't, it's a gorgeous and intriguing show so far so

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
a buddy of mine pointed out that ed harris is basically one of those souls dudes who reads every item description and compares them to their japanese versions, combs the game's source code for deleted content, and hacks dummied items in to gently caress with newbies

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

We've got some hot takes from 2013 in here.

Indeed. We have known since 2013 that people who treat crowdfunding like an investment are rubes and that you should always scrutinize the situation closely when someone like Tim Schafer who has money, industry experience, and insider connections comes out and is like "look just whoever give us some money to publish this thing thanks".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

With a few exceptions, non-game Kickstarters are low-ask, low-risk, low-drama affairs. It's hilarious how different they are. Gaming Kickstarter is the "that one aunt who's always in and out of jail and living with different methods addicts" of the Kickstarter family.

I mean, part of it is just the nature of the product. The kind of videogames most people want to play are often very expensive, time-consuming, difficult things to make in ways that enthusiasts are only dimly aware of. Just ensuring a minimum standard of compatibility with a variety of PC hardware has got to be a pain in the rear end, which is a wrinkle that something like a film or graphic novel doesn't have to deal with.

I like to think of Kickstarter as a win/win, as a person who almost never crowdfunds anything, though. If crowdfunded games turn out poorly, I didn't pay for them. If they turn out well... I can buy a good game that might not have been made otherwise. No sense in losing sleep over something that's win/win.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

why is it all these weird pasty fat dudes are obsessed with linkle

mostly because a bunch of other weird fat dudes despise her I think

this is loving difficult to watch

the closest i've come to crying at a game is an adult was nier, when the title screen pops back up after it supposedly deleted all your poo poo and there's a single lunar tear on it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it'll definitely have multiplayer like GTA5, but GTA5 was still a fully-featured singleplayer game. Moreso than GTA4 was, for that matter.

People who are fretting at this stage are being dumb

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

I drink alcohol.

Hehe. same

I need to quit though, I've been regaining weight and it's one of the worst things for it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mario owns

Wanting to play Thousand Year Door again is part of why I'm sad I don't own a Gamecube tbqh; I didn't own a GC or Wii and just got back on the train of Nintendo home console ownership with Wii U and it's bad rear end

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

jack chick died, post your favorite tracts about gaming

somewhere someone on the internet believes hillary clinton did him in and that owns

his website appears to be dying under the presumptive load of people downloading the tracts to repost right now :/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe having negative opinions about videogames can be okay if you don't spend literal years making the same complaints again and again.

Yeh, also people who are obsessed with hating on things rather than trying to find the things they like and having fun with them are lame.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

On the other hand, being critical about even things you like is good and fun.

Being critical and thoughtful about things u like is a healthy way to live, but we post on a forum where every time like a new Bioware or Bethesda game or console or whatever comes out people will post about how much they hate it and its rear end for a year or more on a daily basis

Its extremely weird, and probably indicative of an unhappy mind

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

It's extremely weird to express your opinion about something when it comes up in conversation? If you do or don't like something, why wouldn't you say so? Does it really count as being hung up on something "for years" to continue having the same opinion you originally had of it?

I don't care about baseball and I think cigars are gross. Why would I post in the baseball forum or the cigar thread, especially repeatedly over a period of months/years once I voiced my displeasure, instead of engaging in conversations about things that interest me?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

On a perfect forum people would just argue about things instead of focusing on who's actually right and using opinions as some sort of psychological leverage designed to make themselves feel better.

This isn't like exclusive to videogame forums, this is just how people are, so I guess it's more "in a perfect world". There's a reason there's all sorts of organizations and elaborate rules for treating debate like a competitive sport.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Talk about video games, video games are cool.

yeah!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

'David Cage can’t remember the Google search that brought him here

"pregnancy movies"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF8 makes a lot of bizarre design mistakes in general.

My favorite is that enemies scale to your level, so random encounters aren't any easier at level 80 than they are at level 1 in the same area, but the scaling on bosses is limited. In other words, if you grind to level 50 on disc 1 you can draw busted rear end spells from the enemies and junction them to your stats and oneshot all the bosses, which will then have less HP than normal enemies.

Why the thing that's supposed to be easy scales and the thing that's supposed to be challenging stops scaling? ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

We are almost into November. Some of you are probably already into November. We are into the month of Final Fantasy XV.

I'll believe it on launch day

• Locked thread