Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Skwirl posted:

You've never had a booth in a restaurant?

Not one that broke my brain like this...

Nice use of the Plastic Wrap Photoshop filter on Ms. America there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just read it. Art was pretty awesome on all the other pages. There was some pretty cool visuals that I've always enjoyed from this title.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

You've never had a booth in a restaurant?
Admittedly not one in the White House. Waiting Area. It Didn't Go Well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Why is "Lisa Halloran" so familiar to me? I googled the name and she's a new character it seems. Is it a retcon or someone using an old character or movie name?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

Why is "Lisa Halloran" so familiar to me? I googled the name and she's a new character it seems. Is it a retcon or someone using an old character or movie name?

Dante was played by Brian O Halloran, maybe you just watched Clerks a lot?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Man what is going on on comics twitter today?!

HOLY! I always knew the stereotype of lovely MRA superhero nerd, but they are all coming out of the wood work and going full hog. Or am I just staring too close into the black hole that is "The General Public"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man I was just talking about Steve Dillon's passing with someone and they reminded me Darwyn Cooke died, which I had completely forgotten about. This year is loving crazy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

trashbuilder posted:

HOLY! I always knew the stereotype of lovely MRA superhero nerd, but they are all coming out of the wood work and going full hog. Or am I just staring too close into the black hole that is "The General Public"

"Moderate centrist"?

Also lol at the whole "how dare the things I read challenge my ideas with things like progress and equality".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

"Moderate centrist"?

Also lol at the whole "how dare the things I read challenge my ideas with things like progress and equality".
He lost me at "gosh can't men just have one entire artform to themselves, sheesh" personally. I admire your perserverance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

"Moderate centrist"?

Moderately centred in the far right

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm surprised he doesn't try and portray himself as leftist like all the idiots making videos about video games and feminism. I may hate minorities, gays and women, but I don't believe in God so that makes me the true liberal!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lmao at a guy whose twitter is dedicated to Days of Our Lives railing for rigid gender division in artforms.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I agree with him. Certain people should NOT be allowed to read or create comics. What he doesn't get is that he is one of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

trashbuilder posted:

This guy is terrible but he's so pathetic about it that I can't help but smirk at him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason he is responding to Nick Spencer?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/nickspencer/status/791599031369601026

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Both Captains America books being written by Spencer are deeply political; Sam Wilson deals more with real-world modern politics, with Sam having to deal with institutionalized racism/the militarization of police/people insisting he step down as Captain America because he has opinions and is willing to publicly express them, while dealing with the fact that he's, for all intents and purposes, the most visible and famous black man in the world and the insane and unfair scrutiny he's being subjected to as a result. His enemies are usually exaggerations of real-world, politically aggravating societal issues like corporations performing legal but deeply unethical work, corrupt politicians working to depress the disadvantaged, a segment of militarized racists attempting to exact their own brand of justice on immigrants, and so on.

Steve Rogers is more philosophically political, dealing with the appeal of fascism as a methodology one could openly subscribe to or how it lures people into thinking it's right or just, and the deeply broken brain chemistry that makes a fascist. It's timely mostly because of the Trump campaign, but it's more of a generally political take over a specifically political one like Sam Wilson. If anything, it puts a fine point on how incredible of an idea Captain Hydra was, because it forces readers to confront how horrifying and grotesque the thought processes and beliefs of people like Trump supporters are by having an icon of pure, noble American patriotism in its most beatific form say and think them. It ends up making readers think, really think, about what the gently caress one of the two major political party's candidate for president is saying, which obviously pisses off straight white male manbabies who can't stand to have their beliefs challenged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It ends up making readers think, really think, about what the gently caress one of the two major political party's candidate for president is saying

No it's antisemitism.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The amount of tumblrcarers Super Upset that Nick Spencer calls them out for glorified slacktivism as he insists that the best way to support Cain/Mockingbird is by buying the comic is delightful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WickedHate posted:

No it's antisemitism.
Expand.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I...think WH was making an ironic joke about the kneejerk/ super reactionary opinion to Captain Hydra.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Indeed I was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is the dumb Nazi thing still going on?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

At least until November 8th, probably longer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would be mad if I cared about Captain America as a character even a bit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As an aside, the new RTJ single is straight fire. I'm so, so loving pumped for RTJ3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b9n0Amr9RI

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, thanks to whoever got me the new thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey, thanks to whoever got me the new thing.

I genuinely can't figure out what it is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Neither can I, but it sure is snazzy!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

Neither can I, but it sure is snazzy!
:agreed:

Yeah, Av buying is kind of weird.

I mean, I have no idea who gave me this redtext for instance, and I'm kind of scratching my head as to why. I mean, I get why I would inspire such loathing, but why this? Like, what was the context behind it? I've never stated any particular opinions regarding Spider-Man Reign, at all.

Oh well, more money for Lowtax to keep these dead comedy forums alive, I guess. And I never could come up with a better alternative.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I could figure out why someone out there hates me enough to spend like 200 bucks on buying me the dumbest avatars ever, I'd be some kinda detective.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, I have no idea who gave me this redtext for instance, and I'm kind of scratching my head as to why. I mean, I get why I would inspire such loathing, but why this? Like, what was the context behind it? I've never stated any particular opinions regarding Spider-Man Reign, at all.

It would be way better if it was just the first two-four lines and "chum" instead of "bum".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sometimes you get avatars just because you post somewhere.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

sometimes you get avatars just because you post somewhere.

It's how i got mine

*highfives for everyone*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

site posted:

It's how i got mine
Me too!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am kind of sad that I got rid of my construction helmet spidey av.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was good, but there's something to be said for Green Lantern being pounded in the butt by Darkseid's butt.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

It was good, but there's something to be said for Green Lantern being pounded in the butt by Darkseid's butt.

Pounded In The Butt By My Comic "Pounded In The Butt By The Anti-Life Equation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It would be way better if it was just the first two-four lines and "chum" instead of "bum".

The eternal rule of goon song/poetry/prose/etc. parody is "It would be better if it ended earlier".

It's like they say, you either die a hero or live.

• Locked thread