Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My super villain power to make every pizza slice you have contain the toppings you hate most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

It seems like a power really wide open to rules-lawyering. Like is deep-dish definitively a pizza? Can you affect pizzas that aren't sliced?

You discovered my one weakness. But just you wait, minute you cut that pizza into a slices it will be filled with asparagus and worms.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder that Bob Kane's tombstone is probably one of the funniest/meanest/dickiest troll jobs ever to be put onto a tombstone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sometimes I wish current Marvel comics were cheaper so I could buy current Marvel comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Haven't seen anyone else mention what is sure to be the best looking comic ever. Of course I am talking about Stokoe doing a freaking Aliens comic.

edit: frick, looks like it is only coming out next year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I internet detectived Rhyno and turns out he works at a comic book store.

Great blackmail material right there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not as much as the basically everyday term 'gyp'

I can't imagine 'lame' and 'dumb' will ever be able to be scrubbed out of popular slang, but who needs 'gyp' any more? That should be as easy to raise consciousness about as the flippant 'gay' pejorative has been.

I always heard "Rip" as in "what a rip (off). Later on I heard it explained as a nicer way of saying "Gyp"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking on behalf of Ben Grimm when I say have an easy fast tonight Jewish goons

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Not all Jewish superheroes know each other, racist.

But I know all Jewish super heroes. Even Shaloman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm posting today's AV Club interview with him because it was really good, and people will enjoy it:
http://www.avclub.com/article/ed-brubaker-westworld-fade-out-and-his-immersion-h-243754

We don't have HBO right now, since we usually only subscribe for Game of Thrones and then cancel, but I was already intrigued by Westworld, and now I'm more psyched than ever due to Brubaker's involvement.

Along those lines, I'm binge-watching Lost with my wife (my second time through, her first), and Brian K. Vaughan was a writer and producer throughout seasons 3, 4, and 5, which is very cool.

BKV was also show runner for Under the Dome, the one show I hatewatched. I do not recommend it and I don't think BKV does either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A quick question for knowledgeable goons: I just finished reading Two Brothers, which is excellent by the way, and I figured my sister in law who is Brazilian might enjoy it. I want to get her a copy but want to get her one in Portuguese. I figure that there would be a Portuguese edition seeing as it was written by Brazilians about Brazil, but Google turns up nothing, so does anyone know if a Portuguese edition was ever released, and if so, how does one get a copy of it in North America?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jackson Fury is always a good case when people complain about previously white characters being cast/changed into black characters. More people probably know Fury now as Jackson Fury than Hasselhoff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

That was definitely a thing. Comic shops have to deal with that sort of OUTRAGE fairly frequently.

But just think of all the fun* "who would win" discussions you get to hear

*Fun not included.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman would clown both of them with enough preparation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Nobody can breathe in space you idiot.

Are you telling me comics lied to me? What about reading in dreams? Is that true?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

But just think of all the fun* "who would win" discussions you get to hear

*Fun not included.

Lightning Lord posted:

Trap sprung, I got you to talk about characters vs characters like it's reddit.

Dance puppets dance!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

They killed him off back in the Fatal Attractions crossover in like 1993. He got the Legacy Virus from giving a mutant CPR I think. People were really upset about it back then too. He's a very, very easy character to kill off because whoops, looks like that was just a dupe! The real Madrox is back, everybody!

So don't sweat it. He'll be back.

Sounds like a Maddox-bot to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

You broke free?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks Arrow and the last page of Cage Carson I think that this is my most favourite time to be a comicbook fan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Can I borrow it and read it in the bath, I never read that one.

Look at this elitist jerk. I read my priceless comics in the shower while downing a beer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
On a lighter note from child abuse, Halloween is coming up in a week and I was wondering if goons would be willing to talk about past year costumes (comic related or not). Not really looking for ideas but I figure it would be cool to see what goons have dressed up as in the past. To be a good sport, I will post about the following past year costumes:

Abe Zero - Agent of S.O.L.A.R (Special Officer of Law And Rescue). Some pulp hero I made up and probably the costume I am most proud about. I think I made up a whole backstory about this as well when drunk/bored.

The Chimney Sweeper - a Batman '66 villain who got a a gritty 90's reboot who I made up as well.

Spider-Nam (based on the James Stokoe stuff)

This year the fiance and I are doing Princess Carolyn and Vincent Adultman from Bojack Horseman and I will be doing surfing Joker from Batman '66 for work.

What are you goons doing for Halloween this year, and what have you done in previous years?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I think my favorite illustration of how awful Jack Chick's worldview was was this comic where a couple is on a plane and mentions that they've been doing missionary work in Africa, helping the poor, educating them, etc. and the other passenger is horrified that they didn't make converting people their number one priority. Then the plane crashes and the couple goes to hell for not spreading the word of God. And they're like "But didn't we do good?" and God replies "Me saving everyone's souls is the only good that ever needs doing! You presume too much!"

Chick did a comic where a serial killer in prison accepts Jesus and dies and goes to heaven, while a bunch of charitable good atheists and Catholics and whatnot go and burn in hell.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comics don't hurt people... I do! :smirkingvforvendettamask:

I don't know. I have read a few comics that have hurt me, and I am pretty sure Avengers #200 hurts just about everyone out there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

trashbuilder posted:

Man what is going on on comics twitter today?!

HOLY! I always knew the stereotype of lovely MRA superhero nerd, but they are all coming out of the wood work and going full hog. Or am I just staring too close into the black hole that is "The General Public"

"Moderate centrist"?

Also lol at the whole "how dare the things I read challenge my ideas with things like progress and equality".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason he is responding to Nick Spencer?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am kind of sad that I got rid of my construction helmet spidey av.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My Joker 66 looks more like Heath Ledger. I tried to put on a fake mustache but it kept falling down on to my lip and being all together uncomfortable. I do have swimming trunks on and a fake surfboard made from an ironing board though, but people keep coming up to me and asking "why so serious?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will make a quick and dirty November thread if no one else is doing that.

• Locked thread