Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AnoHito posted:

You'd honestly think the weapons would get more powerful the less Ein you involve in them.

Homeopathic Ein-Based Weapon Systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cutesy Childhood friend character who works as ship cook and car driver is actually one of the most stone cold badasses on the cast.

Atra is the best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think the Atra/Kudelia and Aston Dinner scenes were pretty light and let everything just chill for a bit.

Also I need a gif of hush about to shove Atra and Mika just snake striking him like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Does anyone have that picture of QUALITY Atra with the handgun?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Speculation time, the mobile armor is going to be hijacked by that Teiwaz dude thats angry at Tekkadan once its sent in for repair. Also once McGillis consolidates power in the seven star alliance he's going to move against the rest of the power houses like Teiwaz, Nobliss, etc. Tekkadan should have an easy time picking who they'll side with when the time comes but all of those factions are shitbags in the first place so god knows how that'll play out.

Orga isn't going to go against his big bro without substantial reason so it won't be too easy deciding.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lestaki posted:

I feel like the focus on McGillis distracts from what's really important, which is Orga's reasons to accept his offer despite his doubts about the situation. Orga's motives are essentially that if his organisation grows big enough no one will be able to hurt his people and everyone will be able to live well. In order to accomplish that goal, he understands and accepts that he's going to get a lot of people killed, but he asserts to himself and to others that all these sacrifices will be redeemed by the happiness enjoyed when they triumph and reach the promised place. His relationship with Mika is ground zero for all this, but the dynamic holds true for everyone who is still a member of Tekkadan in less explicit terms. Everyone trusts Orga to lead them to the promised place.

Biscuit was a character who could see Tekkadan's situation in strategic terms and criticised Orga's narrative. At the same time, he was a member of Tekkadan who believed in Orga. It's very difficult to determine what the outcome of his conflict with Orga would have been prior to his sudden death. It's entirely possible Biscuit would have clambered, however doubtfully, back onto the Orga train. But with his death a crucial voice was lost and the most recent episode really highlighted that. When Orga consulted on a new direction for the group after McGillis's offer, no one in Tekkadan could provide meaningful input with the exception of Merribit, who has always been peripheral to Orga's decision-making. Mika is a given, but Eugene and the rest also reaffirmed their confidence in Orga's leadership without really addressing the matter at hand.

The exception is Takaki, who has decided he wants off Orga's wild ride. He makes explicit the fact that their continued quest for the promised place will lead to further sacrifices and says that for him, the risk of sacrificing the present outweighs the promise of a future utopia. Orga accepts this and also interprets this as Takaki resigning from Tekkadan. While Takaki spoke in part as if he was quitting rather than asking Orga to change direction, he still looks shocked and overwhelmed when Orga thanks him for his service. Though the scene is touching and a natural parting of ways with a character who has drifted away from the others, it also highlights the fact that if you're a member of Tekkadan, you are committed to Orga's vision of the promised place. Mika marks the finality of this break by stating that Takaki is no longer 'family', an omission that shocks Takaki. Though Akihiro softens the blow after the fact, the line has been clearly drawn. The bonds connecting Takaki to Tekkadan were severed the moment he rejected their shared goal.

Mika himself is at least as important to perpetuating the promised place narrative as Orga. He has also become a symbol for its human cost, as shown when Orga unwrapped food for Mikazuki to eat. Even so, Mikazuki is relieved that Takaki has left, and looks to Orga for guidance about why he feels that way. Orga ducks the question and reaffirms that they'll find an answer for all their doubts when they reach the promised place. Mika reflects that the place is 'further than he thought'. Mika's relief at Takaki's departure is Orga's only hope of escape, since it means that even Mika has repressed doubts about their current course. The farm Mika is experimenting with on Mars is another vital sign that Mika can conceive of a future other than his childhood promise with Orga. But it's not clear that Orga himself wants to stop now that he's accepted Biscuit's death.

Orga's tragedy is that the promised place doesn't exist. He could plausibly have claimed that by becoming a profitable and respected mercenary company after season one they'd accomplished enough, but he isn't satisfied and neither is Mika. People still pick fights with Tekkadan. People still betray and kill his people. Since Tekkadan isn't absolute, they haven't arrived yet. It's not clear to me that this dynamic could ever end. Even if Tekkadan therefore Orga becomes King of Mars, he will inevitably encounter new battles on a bigger stage. As Merribit points out, their relationship with Teiwaz would fundamentally. And that's to say nothing of the battles they'd fight with the earth powers if they truly sought Martian independence. And practical considerations aside, the promised place has to be a utopia that will justify all the sacrifices that preceded it. Since that can't be realised, Orga is obliged to continually push their arrival at paradise back into the future.

Orga isn't entirely aware of this but what he desires is absolute power. His pitch for the others to accept the throne of Mars is that Tekkadan has been continuously abused by others and McGillis is offering them a chance to gain status and honour. Conveniently, it is also impressive enough that he can present it as the 'ultimate finish' and thus the promised place. However, Tekkadan has already become a member of Teiwaz and a notable military force without any reduction in the number of idiots picking fights with them and betraying them. Any organisation or country will be challenged by others unless they are invincible.

Ironically enough, the setting of Iron Blooded Orphans was once dominated by the invincible organisation known as Gjallahorn. The old Gjallahorn ended a catastrophic war with unique weapons that gave them the power to unilaterally dictate terms to the other states and elevate themselves to global peacekeepers who monopolised all military technology. For a long time, I'm sure, no one would dare to challenge them. But as we all know, the Gjallahorn that has survived to the present has become a corrupt and morally bankrupt organisation riven by infighting and power struggles. Most of the plot of season one served to demonstrate that Gjallahorn's rule could now be overtly challenged by other forces, not least a bunch of scrappy kids in Mobile Suits. As of season two, Gjallahorn's monopoly on armed forces on earth has been explicitly broken, though the state armies are still too incompetent to be regarded as a serious threat. IBO is too smart a show to posit that an absolute force would be either just or eternal.

So I'm not surprised when McGillis states that Tekkadan reminds him of Gjallahorn's legendary founder. Putting aside the incidental similarities such as the use of Gundam Frames and Alaya-Vijnana as weapons, I would guess that Orga's ambitions are comparable to the mindset Agnika Kaieru possessed when he founded an organisation like Gjallahorn. Gjallahorn was created to correct an unjust world riven by war, just as Tekkadan was founded so Orga and his comrades could fight back against the poverty, exploitation, and powerlessness that afflicted them. As Orga says, there are any number of other armed groups in the setting that McGillis could use as proxies. But McGillis regards the motivation and vitality Tekkadan demonstrate when they fight as a unique force that he can use to gain complete control of Gjallahorn. Tekkadan's distinct motivation in comparison to the rabble of mercenaries, child soldiers and pirates that constitutes the rest of the setting is their pursuit of the promised place, which engenders a fanaticism their enemies have frequently commented on with fear and awe.

If we project Orga's trajectory to the extreme, a conflict between him and McGillis is inevitable because there can only be one king. McGillis may or may not realise this. But I don't rule out the notion that Orga and Mika will eventually come to a stop, either because they realise it isn't necessary to reach the promised place or because an uncaring universe will bring them crashing back to earth. IBO is an interesting show because it both admires and criticises the slightly twisted ambition that unifies its protagonists, and while I think it should logically be a tragedy season one more or less rewarded Tekkadan for continuing to pursue their dream despite the human cost. I will be interested to see if that dynamic holds in season two.

One final note is that McGillis may give Tekkadan everything Orga wants but that won't necessarily end well for Tekkadan because Orga's ambitions are rapidly outstripping Tekkadan's ability to keep up. The entire Earth Branch arc was basically Tekkadan's second-stringers being promoted beyond their circle of competence and getting jerked around by a couple of adults. I can't imagine Tekkadan running a planet would go much better

Yeah that's a cool reading but it requires you to completely misread Mika as a a character and the scene with him and Guts and takaki. The entire show has repeatedly told us Mika is bad at expressing himself and that Orga and Guts are two people who are genuinely close to him. Guts wasn't trying to blunt Mika being a jerk he's trying to better explain what Mika meant which was "Go live the life you want with your sister. She's your family and you don't need to ruin that by worrying over us". It's not shaming him foe leaving it's Mika trying to remove.any guilt Takaki might feel in the future. He's just going about it in the typical blunt mika manner. You have to weirdly assume Akihiro is lying or misunderstanding Mika's intent and nothing in the show has shown us that Akihiro doesn't understand his gains partner.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

A couple things unrelated to McGillis' raging pedophilia:

1) Ha! I was right, Iok really is just a garbo pilot. Suck it, failures!
2) I noticed that, outside of splashing the missile boat, Gali seemed to be explicitly avoiding killshots when he fought, instead stabbing heads or to the side of the cockpits. I wonder if this reflects on his new ethos or whether it was just the mandate for the operation.

Well related to McGillis's final scene this episode I have to wonder how much of this is really him and how much of it is him playing into what Gali's little sister wants to hear. He's got a long history of loving with people interested in him, especially women with romantic interests in him.

Secondly I think the disabling over killshots is a Thing for Vidar. I mean he's gone out of his way to create a gundam built around a set of thin precise melee weapons instead of the usual slabs of steel the other units are throwing around.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Microcline posted:

It's a shame because even if season 2 ends up being good the advice for season 1 is going to be "watch the first few episodes and pretend there's a time skip".

Except season 1 is good?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Adel posted:

He gets a lot of poo poo (and rightful so) but Iok is a really interesting character and one of my favorites this season. He completely buys into the idea of a "just world" and that if he does the right, noble thing, then surely it will all work out. And when it doesn't and he just ends up making everything worse, instead of realizing "hey maybe poo poo's more complicated than I thought," he doubles down on his ideals and if he's just right-er and noble-er then THIS time everything will be fine and go back to normal. And then he makes the same mistakes over and over.

I don't see him backing down, despite everyone yelling at him to, because he seems to have a noblesse oblige mentality that won't let him run from his perceived responsibilities. He's the goon in the well and he'll probably drown to death on piss before considering changing course.

Sadly piss well would be too good for him. Dude's gonna be a greasy spot on the sidewalk once Tekkadan get to him.

Also the preview for next week has Mechanic boy riding in Shingo's lap so maybe that plot line will finally go somewhere.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

paragon1 posted:

This reminds me:
You know who McGillis said reminded him of Agnika Kaieru? Mika
You know who is standing in front of the MA right now? Mika
Mika is going to destroy Hashmal and McGillis is going to fanboy the gently caress out and try to make Mika King of Space, calling it now.

I really like that for all the big plans and plotting he does, McGillis is just as broken and delusional as the rest of Gallajhorn seems to be. His delusions are just a little more person like "I too am a war orphan who hates the way the world is, Tekkadan. It's like I'm already a member of your family! I hope Mika likes me." instead of "The world is just and good and since I'm in power clearly that means I'm competent and right."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc.

Your friend's a huge idiot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Actually Naze is/was cool and good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Apprentice Dick posted:

I think the only satisfying way for Iok to die is to nearly be killed by Mika, then as he is escaping Shino hits him with the galaxy cannon. He would die in the same way he ordered Naze, Amida, and the Turbine girls to die.

Iok needs to die from some random low ranking Turbine member finding him in an alley and putting two bullets into his face as he cowers like he did behind that chair.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tae posted:

I still feel all these are too random and therefore good for Iok. Having him be killed by Rustal would be the ultimate justice.

You used what? On escape pods? WITH WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THEM? *The sounds of Iok being strangled to death as Julietta eats some form of insect*

I'm glad we're finally getting in to real Gundam territory with some good old fashioned massive war crimes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

tsob posted:

Like Domon with his parents and building a Gunpla WITH THE HELP OF KYOJI

Man, over acting Domon Kasshu, but a tiny child would have been really fun to watch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Adel posted:

Did anyone else catch the smell of bullshit when McGillis said he'd never betray Tekkadan? Bastard probably had his fingers crossed.

McGillis has never betrayed anyone in his entire life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is the point of this?

It's the blade tail from the mobile armor. It's so he can gently caress up people hands free.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I meant the little arms coming off the elbows

Grabbing thing the tail pulls in or the like? Maybe to help grab the mace that's bigger than the mech itself is? I don't know, man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Using Ein as scrap components for a twisted variant of the system that drove him insane, killed him, and rendered his very name a whispered curse within the organization he devoted his life to in order to get petty personal revenge is a pretty loving lovely tribute to your dead friend's memory.

He didn't need to make Einborg Mk2 to destroy McGillis's plans.

Actually it was the repeated failure and bloodlust against children that he thought unjustly murdered his NotDad that drove him insane. The whole insanity thing led to him agreeing to be all brain jacked up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I never quite understood why the fandom always refers to Norba by his surname. It's not like we call our two leads Augus and Itsuka.

It's not even the most common way for the other characters in the show to refer to him, IIRC.

Everyone on the show calls him Shino. Everyone from his gay mechanic boyfriend up to Orga calls him that in the most recent episode where they're actively mourning him and desperately trying to figure out what to do w/r/t saving his remains or not. No one calls him Norba. It's always been Shino in show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They paced that so well that it actually got me super hard and I'm loving crying over this anime robot show. The music builds and and builds and builds until it cuts to looking at Chad through the door and drops for a moment and I thought "Oh poo poo this is the hammer about to fall" but they let it come back and everyone gets outside so you think "Oh maybe I was wrong." and THEN they stab you in the heart.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I was expecting a a car bomb, with the backblast killing everyone in that corridor, but this was close enough.

Also, there's zero reason to think McGillis did this.

You know I get really mad at how little TV and Anime thinks the viewer is paying attention and how they treat the viewer like complete idiot and have characters just repeat the same plot point multiple times or just explain poo poo in long winded plain monologues, but sometimes maybe they're right to do that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And now Macky's up there railing her in Gundam Valhalla.

Really hosed up there's not Gundam Hel, IMO

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

but that just brings us right back to the can of worms of whether he truly cared for any woman other than Lalah.

Spoilers he didn't. Even in the end, with his final and most desperate plan in motion, he breaks down and makes it all about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Limited edition bluray's gonna come with some interesting art

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/852824245243494400

TheBossFigmaFiringDavyCrockett.png

• Locked thread