Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That one Tekkadan guy vaulting off his ally's MS to deliver a flying kick directly into their opponent's cockpit was rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Something I found interesting was how Cookie and Cracker reacted when Mika drew his gun. I hope they're building up to something with that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I hope the mask guy isn't Gaelio. McGillis killing the one person he considered a true friend for the sake of his ambitions was a really good moment, and it would be lame if they backtracked on it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Between this and using Carta's old Ritter as his command vehicle to honour her memory

There's no reason to believe this to be true. He's in charge of her old fleet, so he uses the same kind of robot she did.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

McGillis might know people other than the people who were introduced in season 1, because the list of characters he was seen onscreen with in s01 isn't an exhaustive list of all the people McGillis ever interacted with throughout his entire fictional life.

That's true, but considering they're keeping the masked man's identity hidden from the audience, I doubt that will be the case. I'm not convinced it's Gaelio (and as I've mentioned before I think it would be lame if it was) but I think it's bound to be a character we've seen before.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

I thought the robot hand was barbatos skeletal hand.

It was.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Oh i forgot to post this over here.

Two things i really liked in particular on today's IBO

Atra being the greatest.

Mikazuki back to using a giant fuckoff piece of metal for a weapon.

I like the idea of a broadsword being a middle ground between a katana and a mace.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

Isn't IBO not super popular in Japan

I've seen a lot of people say stuff like this for a lot of shows, but never seen what actually backs up that assertion. What are you basing this on?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

I have no primary sources, but the fact that they had the premiere in an AMERICAN convention is a big flag that they are aiming it at the Worldwide audience.

This is a half-truth. They had the premiere in america yes, but also at 5 different places in japan, as well as hong kong, taiwan and thailand. This narrative some people seem to have that they're ignoring the asian market is not true.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Also is that guy that really wants to be a mobile suit pilot the guy from the offshoot manga about the astaroth gundam or whatever?

He is not.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Taken from Ippei Gyoubu's twitter:

The Shiden is a qt 3.14

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

I will say that the idea of autonomous mobile armors does give some insight to how each of the Gundam's weaponry was meant to be used. I don't remember correctly, but don't the Gundam Frames have manuals and information on them? I remember Mika declining a pilot manual in the first episode of S1 because he could read. What if those manuals also have design documents for the weaponry for the units? The Vidar is a wild card due to its' pilot, but the Barbatos/Lupus, Kimaris and Rebake's weaponry are all heavier melee weapons that have been splattering regular combatants. Mika's Mace and Crabhammer are both massive overkill for regular mobile suits, but make sense when fighting giant armors. Say the original Barbatos pilot manages to land on one or stab it with the mace then detonates the tip into the body and fries the electronic components inside. The Kimaris lance becomes way more effective against the Plumas since it can just run them through. The Vidar is harder to explain since its' implied to be a serious custom unit, but having disposable rapier tips that can be remotely detonated would be extremely useful against an autonomous enemy.

This only makes sense if we assume that the weaponry we've seen them use in the show is the same as the weaponry used 300 years ago. Kimaris aside, all the Barbatos' weapons were either stolen from opponents or built by Teiwaz, and the gusion was (presumably) rebuilt by the brewer's before being rebuilt again by teiwaz.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing the Helmwige Reincar's huge gently caress-off sword in action.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Argas posted:

Well, that depends on if McGillis wants to reveal his ties to Tekkadan or not. This visit was supposed to be secret after all. Though he's kind of given up on that seeing as he's piloting his Graze Ritter instead of using a machine that isn't easily traced to him.

He has to though, if he wants that Order of the Seven Stars.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

The thing I'm most curious about is how exactly the Mobile Armor creates those Pluma if left to its own devices. Hard to imagine it sitting around putting them together like gunpla.

Presumably it has an internal factory, and then poops them out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Adel posted:

It'd be interesting if they went the angle of Agnika Kaieru and the Seven Star founders being members of a lower class who came together to clean up the aristocracy's hosed up MAs and tried to set up a system where the rich couldn't make the same mistake, only for their descendants to rebuilt the aristocracy around themselves.

That would also be neat 'cause it'd set up a parallel between them and Tekkadan.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing is that Bael seems be the Lord High Shitkicker Gundam, and I wouldn't be surprised if its number is 01. The thrusters are each of a similar size to the Astaroth's flight engine on the back, far larger and longer than the typical Gundam or any other Mobile Suit, and the profile of them says "flight" rather than jump-jet.

Its number is undoubtedly one: Each gundam has gotten its number from the rank of the demon they're named after in the Ars Goetia. Rank 1 belongs to King Bael.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

The worst part about Naze Turbine was this thread's discussions about him.

Also the last thread's

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's pretty much Rustal going "well if a lovely little company can use child soldiers to great effect, CLEARLY I can make a superior one by training them properly :pseudo:.

He said that what he wanted from her wasn't strength though, several episodes ago.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lots of people in this thread can't tell an A from an E.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Could you provide a link listing the various types of Mobile Armor in the setting as I would love to see just how much more deadly they could make the drat things.

The Hashmal is the only one we know of so far.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah that MA stuff up there is all conjecture with no basis in any information related to the show.

That said, given the fact that Hashmal was individually named, it's obvious there were several different types of MA and it wouldn't surprise me if they were unique, like the gundam frames.

The real question is why you all think there are a bunch of random MAs lying around for McGillis to activate. Hashmal was clearly an anomaly and was located in a backwater area. Gjallarhorn would be comically ineffective if there were hundreds of MAs just waiting for a mobile suit to get too close to them all over Earth.

Also, and I think this is a point that needs to be emphasized: It would be insanely stupid.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Even though it dodn't work out, I enjoyed that brief moment of Rustal completely losing his poo poo when he realized what Shino was doing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The entire point of Bael is that it's powerful as a symbol. To then actually make it super powerful would defeat its purpose.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rustal's. He's a Seven Star member, and they all have/had their ancestor's Gundam.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Out of all the Gundams in the show this has only been true for the Kimaris.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Seven Stars are all families descended from Gundam pilots. It wasn't presented as unusual or exceptional that the Bauduins still had their Gundam, so I think it's reasonable to assume that the other families still have their Gundams too.

But if that were the case they would have used them. Where was Carta's Gundam when her entire team got brutally murdered by Tekkadan? Where was Mcgillis' Gundam when he assumed command of the Outer Earth etc. fleet? Where was Iok's Gundam when he was desperate to take revenge for his subordinates.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The title for the next episode just seems mistranslated. Scapegoat brings an entirely different image than the word they are using but maybe they have some info from sunrise.

My knowledge of japanese is far from perfect, but I think "Sacrifice" wouldn't be quite right either. As far as I understand "ikenie" means something or someone who is sacrificed against their will, whereas "sacrifice" by itself as a title brings to my mind some kind of self-sacrifice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The Barbatos was also just a barebones generic Gundam when the series started and I haven't seen anything showing it having some sort of gimmick during the Calamity War.

it's not a prototype though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

How many episodes are we looking at total? 52?

Probably 50. The first season was 25 and I'd expect them to make s2 the same length.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Artum posted:

Given Mika really doesnt have much of a life when he's not tethered to a large extremely noticeable death machine I'm somewhat skeptical of him surviving events.

I mean if they wanted to go for the maximum tragedy angle he'd be the only survivor, with his body broken and nothing left to live for.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Argas posted:

The ship's name is Isaribi

It means shrimp!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm feeling kinda eh on this ending. Most of the character stuff was nice Julieta ultimately defeating Mikazuki in particular, although I do kinda wish they had a more involved fight rather than him just dying on her. The political situation being resolved offscreen through no effort of any of our protagonists was incredibly unsatisfying though. Rustal deciding to create a democracy came out of complete nowhere and honestly seems out of character for him.

Overall I soured on the first season after it was finished and I feel similarly about this one. Kudelia getting completely sidelined was lame and while I know many here will disagree, I think McGillis' character in s2 felt a lot weaker than s1, although I do like Gaelio's arc in relation to him. That coupled with this ending means I probably won't think back on this show very fondly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I think it would have been better with like twenty less episodes of buildup, but it's still one of the tighter entries in the franchise thematically. It told the story it wanted to tell, even if it took a lot more episodes that it needed to do so.

I don't agree with this. I'll admit I'm only speculating, but it seems to me like they weren't originally planning for 2 seasons. There are a bunch of things in s2 which while they don't contradict s1, they're not supported by it either (Mcgillis' idolization of Agnika Kaieru being the most obvious). This coupled with how the ending of s1 was kinda toothless leads me to believe they were told to make a second season at the end of the first.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say the opposite, the current ending is way too forced and happy for the rest of the show and the original ending makes more sense even if it isn't as crowd-pleasing.

After thinking about it for a bit I would like the ending way more if 1) Kudelia got more screentime overall during the season and 2) at the end Kudelia contacts Rustal and convinces him to democratize Gjallarhorn. That way we get the same ending but it's actually the direct result of one of our protagonists rather than just happening and also Kudelia's arc had a point.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Tomino semi-retired? Though if he works on anything for the 40th Anniversary, I'm all for it. Hopefully if he saw IBO, he can say "Oh, so you think you know how to make people wince, you ain't seen nothing yet, bitch". :unsmigghh:

(In my mind, Tomino sounds kinda like a mix between Colonel Stinkmeaner and Steven Blum)

There'a gonna be at least one G-reco movie directed by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Me when I see a sweet-rear end robot: I want to be inside you...

• Locked thread