Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. She's young enough for A-V surgery...

That can not end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rustal's whole gig is to show the type of leaders who have been able to keep Gjallahorn going for three centuries, and honestly if the leadership was just people like him then it would actually have some merit in continuing to exist in its current format.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think what also motivated Rustal's decision was that Iok needed to be reigned in and shown that his decisions actually have consequences.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It would have been in Iok's best interest to have Naze still be alive. That would give Tekkaden something to focus on and he could be used as a bargaining chip against them. Instead with him gone Tekkaden have lost the last semblance of a restraint on their actions which is definitely a bad think for everybody else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much Galeio has actually changed though. When he fled from Bael and Barbatos his comment to Mika still came off as though he did not see him as the species as him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could you provide a link listing the various types of Mobile Armor in the setting as I would love to see just how much more deadly they could make the drat things.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It really does make sense why Mcgilles likes Mikazuki so much. In his own way he is almost or as broken as Mika.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Everyone has learned from Mika that the best weapons to use are the least subtle ones. Of course he has surpassed them all with his mace.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I actually am genuinely wondering if Iok is going to survive. The show keeps pushing that he's a *fuckup* but not a malicious monster and that his men trust and respect him. Iok learning not to be a fuckup and having to live with his mistakes and consequences would probably be more interesting, if not less viscerally satisfying, than him getting a healthy dose of Vitamin Mika.

Iok represents almost everything that is wrong with Gjallahorn. He is respected just because his father was a good man and has caused countless casualties to his own side out of bravado and spite. There is little that can actually redeem him anymore.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This episode has proven that the only sane player left in the game is Kudeliia.

McGilles only understands death and violence
Orga will burn through anything in order to claim Mars
Rustal is a piece of poo poo with a stiffy for the old ways
Iok is Iok.
Galieo is acting like a jealous ex.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is more then just his AV system. Even outside of the suit when he could actually move around Mika was a force to be reckoned with. At the end of the day Mika is a killer not a soldier. Anything that requires more finesse will be an issue for him but against all but the most skilled opponents he will be able to just smash through them. The best way to gauge him in a drawn out battle is his fight with Lafter. She had the upper hand as long as she was able to set the battle on her terms but the moment she slips up she is all but done for. We saw the exact same thing when he fought Gaelio. Gaelio could have the upper hand as long as he was dictating the fight, but when the tide started to turn Gaelio was done for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like the barbatos gets its arm banged up badly enough that they switch it out with an older model one. Also all the debree around him doesn't look good for whoever he was fighting

When has this ever not been the case?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think both Gaelio and McGilles are trapped in the realms of story. McGilles is obvious but Gaelio is so determined to see everything as black and white that he fails to understand why somebody who has nothing would want to break the status quo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

He stated he did understand him. As he already knew someone of the same type. But McGillis words and the dreams he inspires are lies, and he never would have given him what he wanted.

Gaelio is aristocratic idiot who got to saw just how bad Gjallahorn could be but was too caught up in his own narrative of being a purifying hero to give a drat. In season two he has a slightly better idea about the reality of the world but he is still content to condemn the obvious results of Gjallahorn corruption but remains unwilling to do anything to change it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

No, they are being taken in by McGillis and part of what Gaelio wants to do is expose that. He has already literally broadcast to everyone what McGillis did both to him and to Carta. He isn't working in the shadows but has removed his mask and openly presented himself and part of that is fighting as a symbol.

You can argue he's fighting for the wrong side or that he's got the wrong ideals but saying that he hasn't changed at all from Season 1 except changing his target feels dishonest to the actual growth he's had.

This entire season all Gaelio has done is support the strongest force for maintaining the status quo imaginable. He can witter on all he wants about how he has changed but so far all he has done is make it so that more people like Ein, Isuragi and all of Tekkaden will be created. For all of the issues McGillis has, those at the bottom of society will still follow him as he offers them a future that doesn't being stuck on the bottom with no way to change ones lot in life.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lestaki posted:

Killing Carta had some utility but McGillis was besties with Gaelio and engaged to Almiria, so his alliance with the Bauduin was pretty set in stone as long as he was willing to manipulate Gaelio. Not particularly difficult wrt season one Gaelio who admired McGillis and just wanted to be reform-Gjallahorn buddies.

His constant hunting down of Tekkadan made it quite clear that the guy was all talk when it came to actually reforming Gjallahorn. He had seen just how awful Gjallahorn had been face first but all he could care about getting revenge for his own ego. This season he has been better about hiding it but he is still quite willing for everything to burn as long as he can pretend to care about actually doing good whilst doing jack poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody feel as though some of the OSTs are very similar to the ones in Code Geass?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

It's not helped by the fact that Atra, who is allegedly a sixteen- seventeen year old looks like she's 10.

Also she's doing it for insanely hosed up reasons.

To be fair Mika looks the exact same age as her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Had Orga ever fired a gun before in the show?

I don't remember ever seeing him do so.

He used a mobile worker in battle during the first episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of every fight in the show, the only time Mikazuki displayed outright cruelty and malice was when he butchered Carta and her subordinates in response for killing Biscuit. Now piloting a machine that seems more Mobile Armor the Mobile Suit in terms of destructive power, the most important person in Mikazuki's world is now dead. McGilles and everybody else involved in the plot to kill Orga has just opened Pandora's Box and in a horrifying way it should be fun to see just what in the IBO setting will survive what is about to come.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So will Gaelio realize with McGilles gone that Rustal has to go as well, or will he just allow the status quo to continue to grind down everybody but the elite?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For a moment I thought Iok would survive yet again. But thankfully Akihiro made sure to give him one of the stock horrible ways to die.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GimmickMan posted:

Also, Iok getting the scissors made me laugh. I'm a terrible human being.

You would be a terrible human being if you didn't laugh.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rustal finally pinned down the proper title for Tekkaden and Mikizuki. They are not space rats to be crushed with ease, but beasts who you must do everything possible to prevent from emerging in the first place. I think that fact spurred on a lot of what Rustal did after the dust settled he didn't want to risk another such group emerging and this time tearing apart the system he cared so much about. So better to start the change himself so that he could have some control over what happened.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

I think that it's kinda fitting for this show that in the end Mika and Akihiro and their legendary war machines were just put down with sniper fire by some faceless mooks

They had reached a point that nothing less then that type of overwhelming fire power could put them down.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I just rewatched the back half of the episode and I have no idea how you come to this reading. How does Tekkadan's participation in McGillis's coup have any bearing whatsoever on Rustal's postwar plans, nevermind being critical to said plans? The only thing they meaningfully contribute to that plan is the death of Iok Kujan, and that was completely unplanned and only occurred to the personal stupidity of Iok. Everything Rustal does would have logically made sense even if Tekkadan had never joined McGillis and McGillis had died in orbit around Earth.

It did though. For most of the show he was quite willing to write Tekkadan off as space rats but in his final order during the epilogue he doesn't call them rats but beasts and monsters and while that was mostly directed at Mikazuki, it did show a change in opinion for Rustal. So if he is hoping to bring back his precious stability it is now crucial for him to prevent the emergence of groups like Tekkadan by making it so that the default option for destitute children is not becoming mobile suit pilots.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

And Julieta, the only character to explicitly reject his power, survived pretty much unscathed. Kind of clever.

A lot of that is due to Julieta being smart enough to recognize that fighting Mika is an extremely bad idea.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

While this is probably a terrible line of conversation to go down, I can't help but think it'd be the one doing the loving. Hateful, hateful loving.

Maybe at the start of season one it wouldn't be too bad but by the end of season 2 it would be an absolutely terrifying experience.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

lol just lol if you wouldn't gently caress a giant death robot

I think it is more of a question of who is giving and who is receiving.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

The problem is that his quest was totally futile, since nobody will ever accept a gaggle of fight-crazy child soldiers as "respectable" no matter how many people they beat up.

That isn't true though. Gjallahorn was founded by those exact same type of people. There is a reason why Mcgilles loved everything about Tekkadan so much.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

The founders of Gjallarhorn were pretty much the last military force standing after an honest-to-god apocalypse that nearly destroyed the human race in its entirety. The circumstances are slightly different.

Besides, given how relatively easily McGillis was able to get Adult Model AV working flawlessly and how even Rustal's faction which wasn't researching the topic nearly as hard was able to hack together an AV-equivalent workaround, it's entirely feasible that the founders of Gjallarhorn weren't children at all.

Its almost as if technology has progressed since the calamity war.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ranzear posted:

Opinion zone:

I liked the ending. I like this concept of changing the world but perhaps being on the wrong side of history in doing so. What it really, absolutely needed though, at the very end, was for Rustal to make some hint that he knew most of Tekkadan escaped. I think that would make him maybe a little too untouchable, but it gives him a slighly different face in the mostly amenable aftermath.

"Constructive losing." I kinda like that.

I want a Julieta spinoff now though. There couldn't have been just one mobile armor left.

The issue though is that there are no longer pilots who could fight the damned things. For all her skill as a pilot and all the tech specs of her suit, she could not stand up to a mobile armor unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is as good an excuse as any to post this awesome image. Mikizuki was able to go toe to toe with the mobile armor because when he goes full out in Barbatos he is as monstrous as the angel.

• Locked thread