Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

As a EU player, will I have any issues playing on the NA server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hey, turns out this game is pretty good. Got the any race/any alliance upgrade and am currently running a Redguard nightblade with the EP faction. Anygoon care to throw an invite to @uvb76?

Also, is there any area that's especially good/interesting for early-game leveling? I'm at level 10 currently and just finished with Bal Foyen and done a couple quests in Stonefall. I've also done the first part of the DB questline so I can murder random citizens like a proper Elder Scrolls protagonist. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I remember Oblivion's level scaling was so broken it was better to tag weapons you'd never use for your main skills and never gain levels.

This brings back fond memories of encountering random bandit gangs all wearing full Daedric armor and matching weapons. Fun times.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Still looking for an invite to the NA guild. @uvb76 :)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Would Orsinium be a good place to level up a new alt? So far I'm not that excited by Stonefalls, so I'd rather not do that content one more time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I've been playing around a bit with my Nightblade, and I'm now at lvl24. I've realized I'm not good enough at twitchy melee combat to beat most quest bosses (I usually need 3-4 tries). Would I be better off using a bow, or do I just need better equipment? At the moment I'm decked out in various quest rewards around lvl20.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Right, so I'll probably put my Nightblade (lvl25) on hold for a while. Being two-shotted 18 times in a row by the same quest boss after trying out every spec I could find made me want to try something with just a little bit more solo survivability. :(

Any suggestions?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

You really shouldn't have issues like that, are you trying to kill a group boss? Some quests do involve group bosses (repeatable quests only iirc)

One of your main skills heals you, so honestly you should have no issues soloing anything that isn't the group content.

Someone that actually has played an NB can tell you what skill you should be using, but what quest are you doing and what mob is owning you?

It’s Chodala, the false Nerevarine from the Morrowind main quest. I use all the self-healing I have available, but his attacks still kill me in a couple of hits. After I dodge the fiery AoE, he does some sort of teleporting body slam that completely wrecks me if it hits.
I’ve tried using a bow, but then I just get showered with undodgeable homing fireballs.

It might just be me making some dumb mistake, but I really can’t think of any strategy that would work.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

Might need to block her stuff? Unsure, I plowed all of this stuff with a <50 magsorc and a max level stamsorc, I don't block or dodge things usually.

I block and dodge, but since I get taken out by a couple of lucky hits I’m finding it hard to block, dodge, reposition and deal damage at the same time. If I’m lucky I can get him down to 70% or so before I make a minor slip that ends up killing me.

Rollersnake posted:

Have you outleveled your equipment by a significant amount? When I was having trouble with solo content while leveling, it was inevitably that.

Depends what you mean by significant, I guess. I’m 25, my gear is 18-23 or thereabouts. I don’t have enough gold to buy gear upgrades, so I’m mostly relying on quest rewards.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

On your nightblade, are you stamina based or magicka based? Leveling with the latter is much easier, and you can always switch to stam later. But confirm which class style (stam or mag) you are, and we can help you further.

Stamina. I was told they’re easier to play, but I don’t know if it’s true.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aramek posted:

Well, imo, the stamblade is the squishiest thing in the game. You should be running DW/Bow as your weapons. Morph flurry to Bloodthirst, and whatever morph of the rending slashes is a heal. Keep doing those so you actually won't die every fight. Between those and making sure the enemies stand in your endless rain from bow, everything should melt really fast.

In fact, endless rain + steel tornado for all AOE packs is a pretty instant combo of death.

Thanks for the tip! I managed to beat the boss on my second try after respeccing to magblade. :dance:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Definitely a bit more compelling than the tepid main quest has been so far.

Does the main quest ever get more compelling than “Hey Vestige, get your rear end over here and teleport to <weird-rear end location> and bring back the <item/npc>!”?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mizuti posted:

No. Part of it is a consequence of being designed before One Tamriel. They had to make the questline fit into three separate factions and zones with level ranges, so the resulting questline revolves around teleporting to disconnected places. (The Fighter's Guild and Mages Guild questlines also do this.) One Tamriel makes this obsolete since all factions can go everywhere at any level. Now if they want to make new content, they can send all players to one location.

Well, that's disappointing.
Then again, all I can think about when doing parts of the main quest is that the Prophet is voiced by the same guy who played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. I keep expecting him to teleport me to Azkaban or tell me to craft a Sorting Hat for the Mages Guild. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

A few questions:
Everything I see about the morrowind expansion looks great. Does it have a lot of lore connections to TES III? I loving love that game.

Sure does. You get to visit a lot of the same places, and even run into a few familiar faces.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bit of a newbie question - since ESO doesn't have the traditional server-wide auction house/trading post, is there any way of consistently making money from selling things via the guild merchants? I'm running TTC, but all that does AFAIK is make all of the avaliable guild merchants searchable by using the website.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aramek posted:

The point in buying through Steam is that Steam is good and normal and corporate and we should always support that.

On the other hand, Steam won’t let you buy the Gold Edition with all the DLC plus Morrowind for less than $12. :smugbert:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Haerc posted:

Is there a sale going on right now for this, or did I miss it?

Nah, it was a while ago on some game code selling site.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I tried looking for "Let's Play" online and the one I found the player was a Nightblade and she stealthed the whole way through.

You don't have to be a NB to stealth, any class can do it.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm a DK stamblade

ESO doesn't have multiclassing AFAIK, did you mean stam DK?

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 26, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

It says that you'll be able to buy additional outfit tokens and home storage items in the Crown Store, not that you need a subscription and/or crowns to use the features at all.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26281 posted:

All Update 17 additions and improvements will be available free of charge for all players.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 4, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Either way it's an improvement. Considering the usual practices in the F2P MMO market, they could just as easily have made all housing, dyeing, costumes and transmogs subscribers-only.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Might as well try out the EU side too. @uvb76

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

For some reason none of the account upgrades I've purchased in-game (Imperial pack, any race/alliance, etc) are available to me if I play on the EU server. They show as not being purchased in the crown store. Is this a bug or something?

EDIT: Alright, turns out everything bought with Crowns is server-bound. You'd think something labeled as an "account upgrade" would be, you know, account-wide. Nevermind, back to the NA server it is.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Overemotional Robot posted:

To be fair, the systems in this game don't really transcribe to other ES games.

"Level up skills by using them" feels like pretty much the only thing that's even vaguely similar to earlier games.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Shy posted:

And where the hell is my costume I bought for 500 free crowns while on NA, is all of it region-based?

Everything you buy with crowns is region locked, which for some reason is not advertised at all. I only found out about it when I wanted to try an EU alt after having spent about 4000 crowns on the NA server.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I see a lot of folks mixing armor pieces and dyes and all that, does anyone know how to make something that looks close to how the thieves guild armor in skyrim looks? I saw that someone pulled off a halfway decent nightingale look and it got me thinking.
This is also a terrible idea, isn't it?

There’s a Thieves Guild costume that you get from doing the Thieves Guild questline, IIRC. It’s not identical to the guild armor from Skyrim but pretty close.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Acht posted:

Don't think EU still has an active SA guild? This topic seems quite dead as well.

Just reroll on the NA server, most of us EU goons play there anyway.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Acht posted:

Or those chapters, which I don't understand yet.
I bought the base game + ESO+. Apparantly that gives me access to everything. Everthing, though, means the base game + all DLC except Elswyr. But also minus something called Chapters.
Are those just storylines in an area I can already visit?

The way I understand it is that a Chapter is the entire current expansion (for now, Elsweyr). Once the next Chapter is released, the previous Chapter gets turned into regular DLC along with the rest of the older ones, and is thus included in ESO+.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Besides, dead game dead chapter.

Gymp posted:

Really digging the game, it's a shame that it seems to be dying.

I’m curious what facts there are that support this? Not because I doubt it, but because “MMO health” seems like a difficult thing to appraise these days.

If I’m understanding it correctly, a lot (?) of long time players are quitting because the developers don’t seem interested in actually paying attention to gameplay and balancing issues.

But since it’s pretty much F2P at this point (as the base game can usually be gotten for pocket change), isn’t there a chance that the influx of new players make up for it numbers-wise?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The faction zone quests are, with a few exceptions, not very exciting. Not awful, just a bit...meh.

Also is it just me, or did a lot of the original leveling content overuse dramatic mid-questchain twists? When I played through the EP zones I lost count of all the various times it was revealed that the initial questgiver was secretly a daedric cultist or evil doppelganger or opposing faction member all along and now you have to do a bunch of followup quests to undo what you did.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I just got an email that I have apparently just redeemed a code for a pet which was handed out at some ESO stream. I haven’t touched the game in weeks and haven’t ever watched a single stream. Did they give this to everyone or something?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The clash between the new player honeymoon period ("This is cool and amazing and all I ever wanted in an MMO! :unsmith: ") and the cold, hard realization that this is actually a monetized lootbox simulator with only three classes and identical quests copy-pasted between zones can be really jarring.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Because I knew poo poo about the canonical order of things when I started, I went Main Quest up until Coldharbour -> Morrowind -> Coldharbour -> Alliance zones -> currently on Clockwork City. :v:

Not a fan of the aesthetics but the quest writing in CC is so much better than vanilla. Does the Summerset and Elsweyr content have the same quality?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

the dwarves were also elves because by the laws of TES everything has to be a subspecies of elf, including the orcs

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

I just found out the Bretons are also .... elves !!

After the Sweetroll Crisis of 1E 420, the humans Humer were split into the Bretmer, Nordmer, Redmer and Imperialmer! :pseudo:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

New to ESO. So the routine is I go on an adventure then spend 30 minutes junking half the things in my inventory? Is there a way to just store or make use of everything I have, outside of a bank?

There is! It’s called the Crafting Bag, and it automatically stores any ingredients or crafting materials you loot in a separate, unlimited-size container.

Oh, and you need to be a subscriber to use it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines

You can! Though a lot of the times it'll be like in early WoW where the zone is a box walled in by mountains or impassable terrain and the other way in or out is by designated points like mountain passes.

Seventh Arrow posted:

The quest where Vivec's divinity is waning is quite interesting, much more involved than the 'bear-rear end' quests in WoW. Are they all like this?

Not by a long shot. While ESO prides itself on having few pure bear-rear end-collection quests, a lot of them are still cookie-cutter stuff that's copy-pasted between zones.

"Oh no, our village/plantation/temple has been attacked by bandits/goblins/an enemy faction! Please help us by killing 5-8 of them and bring me 3-5 of the <quest item> they carry!"

That said, Morrowind and Clockwork City story content is pretty cool.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City

Yeah, by a lot. It's extra jarring if you've recently played TES 3 or 5 and remember what those zones felt like, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, "the game is fine if you just pretend it's single-player and never interact with non-solo content whatsoever" isn't much of a compliment when talking about a (supposed) MMO.

For a game that has several playable classes and at least pretends to also have the freedom of a TES game, the lack of variety and clear class identity is what's killing it for me at the moment.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 26, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

looking like you live like a drug dealer with a mansion, one couch, and maybe some wild animals standing around

This is 100% how my Twin Arches house looks, and it's one of the smaller ones. Except I don't even have a couch, just a bed and a nightstand covered in various cats. :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Where does the writing fall on the batshit scale between "boring vanilla MMO" and "Morrowind Lore"?

It’s mostly “boring vanilla MMO” with a thin coating of Elder Scrolls lore on top of it. The expansions have slightly higher quality writing but that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

kedo posted:

Speaking of this, I'm just getting back into the game and every single time I play I end up making a new character (always a Dark Elf because why not), and I've played the two starting zones to death. I don't have any of the DLC, but I have a metric ton of unspent crowns from my plus membership so I can theoretically get them – any suggestions on some different zones to try to spice things up a bit? I'm spoiled for choice, and have no idea which spot on the map to click.

The starting zones are linked together with the rest of the alliance zones, so theoretically you’ve got a single storyline stretching from Stonefalls -> Deshaan -> Shadowfen -> Eastmarch -> The Rift, but if you don’t want to slog through Deshaan and Shadowfen to get to the two Skyrim zones (and I wouldn’t blame you), there’s always the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild DLC zones with their associated questlines.