Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Picked this up a little over a week ago and... it's surprisingly similar to a single-player Elder Scrolls game. Sure there's a ton of microtransaction bullshit and it kind of weird to see glowing aliens rushing around out in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part it's quite fun.

Main issue would be the trading system. It's practically impossible to sell anything to players unless you're in a player-run trade guild, and there don't seem to be any that will take people who only want to sell things with 0 other responsibilities or interactions (they all have requirements of either sales quotas, dues, or specific activity requirements). You can't even create your own trade guild to sell stuff because it requires a minimum of 50 people.

I guess the devs just really want people to grind for stuff personally instead of being able to easily get it from other players. Or maybe it's a roundabout anti-bot method? Either way it's a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

e: More to the point I doubt you'd have much worth selling after a week.

Are you telling me no one wants these beautiful epic landscape portraits I keep finding!?

Yeah though, most of the stuff it'd be worth selling appears to be insta-bound on acquire (like all the dig site furniture finds).

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Snowy posted:

I found few trading guilds with no minimums pretty easily, if you don’t need a primo spot it’s not that hard.
So have I. Those want social engagement instead.

I was looking for a completely impersonal experience like FFXIV, where I could just throw any extra recipes/furniture/materials I found on the marketplace and forget about them. It's not a big deal though since I've no intention of ever buying anything I can't grind for... so I don't really need millions of gold.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Quick question regarding mythic excavation leads that drop from chests (like Steelsinger Clasp and Morpholith Shank):

Do they drop from any chest, or only hidden treasure map chests? 'Cause I've gotten lockpicking from 5 to 7 opening regulars ones with 0 luck.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They drop from wherever they drop. Some leads drop from any chest, others drop only from treasure chests in specific zones. Others drop from treasure map chests.

Steelsinger Clasp: regular chests in Alik'r Desert
Morpholith Shank: regular chests only in Coldharbour

Hmm. Then it seems I just have awful luck with them.

Over 70 chests now in the desert and still nothing. Those two and the Ebony-forged Dwarven Limbs are the last Daggerfall Alliance/Main Quest leads I need.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah, I suffered that indignity grinding one of the public dungeons for 2 hours only to realize I already had the lead.

Got the chest ones two passes after posting about it. Complaining on the Internet: It Just Works.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Went and traveled to Cyrodil the other day and... what the gently caress even is that hell? It's massive and the daily quests send you off into the heart of enemy territory, a 10 minute or so ride away, with no way to get back (besides suicide by wild beast/cliff). The +30% mount speed doesn't help at all.

How is anyone even supposed to complete the 'capture 3 keeps' or 'capture an elder scroll' one when one alliance controls 90% of the territory?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

When you're stuck far away in Cyrodil just join the Imperial City campaign and then pop back into Cyrodil. Vice versa too.

That is loving genius.

Anyway, I went and joined the Champion Point enabled campaigns and they were much better. Lot of dynamic back and forth with keep/resource taking which makes half of the dailies easy enough to accomplish in an hour or so. Just fire off some artillery or wave my laser around an embattled enemy group and BAM: 20+ kills.

The scouting and capture one specific resource/keep ones remain a pain in the rear end due to consistently targeting points in the heart of enemy territory, while the elder scroll one is just completely luck based.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Finally got my Dwarven Wolf mount. All Alliance and Craglorn leads found except Altar of Celestial Convergence... not sure I'll ever do any trials.

Unluckiest were the Singersteel Clasp (70+ chests), Dwarven Leather Saddle Seat (15-20 runs), Preserved Music Box Mechanism (80+ Safeboxes), and Tide-Glass Beads (150-200 nodes). Everything else took less than 10 or so tries to get, most of them popping at the first opportunity.

Ebony Crossed-Sword Chain is my new nemesis, the last piece of the allegedly BiS mythic for magic-focused arcanists (6 tries so far, got the St. Nerevar lead on the first).

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Can you somehow set up alerts with Tamriel Traders (I've only been using the website)? I keep seeing stuff get snapped up almost instantly and would love to know how they're doing it.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

I've been playing this on egs for a bit and it's pretty fun but are there any redeeming factors to the horrific monetization schema? the multiple overlapping "necessary" recurring costs really rubs me the wrong way.

What would be the multiples? You can easily ignore everything except ESO Plus, which may as well be required for the craft bag functionality.

I can't think of anything else even remotely necessary, and so far I've cleared all the base game and the first 4 DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, and Dark Brotherhood).

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

weast posted:

Just started playing the game with my partner because it’s free on EGS, was wondering if the first post is still good info-wise, and also how do you make characters look good when creating them? It seems harder than other ones I’ve played. And what kind of fashion can I look forward to?

30+ Imperial City Dungeon runs: No Mora's Whispers lead.
Just got hit once by a random bloodfiend: Instant Vampirism.

My rng is cursed.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Am I missing something obvious, or is it in fact a really good idea to stock up on the Cyrodiil gold vendor's non-binding gold necklaces to resell during the week?

It doesn't seem like many do it (the lowest offers for one of the necklaces right now is 400k when you can buy it for 150k), so I'm a bit paranoid there's a catch here.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Starting to think I need to keep a full set of medium armor around for these Heist/Sacrament daily quests.

The stealth in this game is so incredibly janky and for some reason npcs and traps respawn during these missions, which is insane.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

What's some good stuff to buy with Tel Var?

Hakeijo runes.

Can also try your luck on Powerful Assault boxes (Ice Staff can go for millions), but the Hakeijo price is basically guaranteed.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just installed the Wizard's Wardrobe and Action Duration Reminder addons and... how did I ever live without these?

Only complaint is that the first one's Champion Point functionality is basically useless until you reach like level 1500 since it can only shuffle nodes you currently have unlocked.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

I regret sleeping on the card game. The rewards are fantastic even if you lose a match.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

g0del posted:

You should probably avoid the hallway outside the thieves guild entrance in Necrom. Hundreds of urns, all marked as stealable, no guards to see you stealing, and access to the thieves guild is right there.

On the other hand, if you're looking to max out legerdemain quickly, it's great.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I suggest doing it with Azandar active so that you also get a ton of Research Folders.

In other news, finally sold the epic companion chestpiece I got from a dolmen for 1mil, about a 50% markdown from what I could theoretically get if I had a guild trader... but we work with what we've got. Really hate trying to sell these high price yet low demand items.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 5, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Word of warning for those who want to play around in Cyrodiil: You won't get any end of month/week reward unless you right click on a campaign name and set it to "Home". Switching home campaigns will also apparently reset all reward progress.

The reward isn't huge, but it's still annoying to miss out on just because of a missed setting.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I want to find out more about this in-game card game so I'm taking what appears to be a very long trip to get to the quest location, the kind of MMO long run I've always enjoyed.

The card game is insanely lucrative. The consolation prize for losing a casual match? I got 3 chromium grains from one.

It just drowns you in tons of crafting materials (20 plat dust here, 10 nightshade there), which is awesome.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

The trick, as far as I can tell, is to always gather only one or two types of Patron cards while making sure to always use Patron abilities (including the Treasury early on to get more coin) when possible. Sometimes you may want to grab a card from a Patron your opponent is collecting though. Sacrifice cards (like Ragpicker) are also pretty important to rid your deck of excess cards.

It's amazing how many people forget about the Patron win condition (if all 4 favor you, you win, no prestige necessary).

More advanced strategies would be choosing Patrons that oppose the Patron your opponent picked. If they grab Rajhin for example (who adds useless cards to your deck), you may want to respond with the Psijic (card cycle) or Red Eagle (card sacrifice). They pick Almalexia (agent-based card steal)? St. Pelin or Ansei will (hopefully) give you the Power cards necessary to keep them down.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

ew, the OG game zones

for real, do yourself a favor and go to one of the post-release zones that are now part of the base game

Nah, you should definitely clear the alliance zones. Meeting everyone and then seeing them pop up later is definitely worth it (Gibbons!)... to say nothing of the mass of skill points you'll get.

It's also amusing how much they don't really interact. Playing through DC for example you'd never know the king sent psychotic necromancers and hoards of orcs/redguards to pillage the other alliances.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

What's a good way to get the necessary AP in Cyrodill to get the first tier rewards? I want to get some transmutation crystals from that.

Look at what keep your alliance is currently attacking, then follow them/show up at that keep and make sure you stand on the flags inside when it flips to your control. Afterward, ride out and flip the keep's related resource nodes if they haven't been flipped yet. And make sure to grab the daily conquest quest (which can be either capture 3 keeps or 9 resources, or kill 40 players) which will eventually complete itself.

Do that about twice and you should be nearly at Rank 2.

If you're in a campaign where your alliance is losing horribly and can't capture anything, an alternative would be to do the various repeatable town quests (Bruma, Cheydinall, etc.). Though that would take forever.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 9, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just found out the Gryphon Run boss in Summerset is broken in the most spectacular fashion.

Apparently, it used to be bugged so that it it never respawned when killed. Now, however, it has the annoying tendency to respawn DURING the fight... making it impossible to kill unless you have truely massive DPS.

Bug fixing at its finest.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

Just tried arena for the first time and really liked it. Made it to round 7 of normal DSA and died, didn't try again because I'm tired. Is this doable solo? I want the Caustic Arrow bow that can drop from the boss of this arena.

On normal? Yeah, absolutely.

I've had trouble clearing Blackrose Prison solo though due to all the archers with their near 1-shot power attacks. Going to try again once I've maxed out Wrathful Strikes.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

is you augr double upgraded so you can see where things are without predigging a bunch? Just level 1 shovel and double augr is enough to dig everything up consistently. Trowel is only if you want to do the connect and explode game for higher chance at treasures. I have never used trowel ever.

It's not chance-based. The treasures are always located on the lines between the fissures.

And you can get some very good treasures (including style pages) from digs.

Private Speech posted:

A quick summary:

- Past level 50 you start earning CP levels for your XP, which are shared across characters (a new one will instantly get your CP once you get it to 50).

Champion Points are unlocked right from level 1 on additional characters.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 16, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Ran into someone in a daily battlegrounds match (a stealth build of some kind) that could reduce their opponent's Max HP to like 20% for 5+ seconds. Needless to say if you couldn't kill them before they hit you with whatever it was that did that, you were dead (and they used it against multiple players in quick succession).

Anyone know what it was? Basic google searching isn't turning up much beyond Glyphs of Decrease Health.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just discovered a progress blocking bug in the 4th Southern Elsweyr main questline.

Really wondering how they managed to somehow create an invisible wall out of nowhere in a practically ancient non-main DLC area.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

With all the people farming Atoll for the Deadlands event, you'd think they'd know the boss mechanics by now.

But no, they just keeping attacking the invincible boss while ignoring the adds. Or they interrupt his big wind-up attack so he gets to go invincible again just as we're about to kill him.

Also, the Annihilarch motif droprate is loving abysmal.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Anyone how the drop rate behaves with things that can drop multiple antiquity leads?

If you already have one (or more) of the leads it can drop, does that increase the chance of getting one you don't have, or does it instead increase the chance of giving you nothing (since you can't have duplicates)?

e: Actually, considering how the Bthar-Zel leads work, it's got to be the former. I must just be on a bad-luck streak.

e2: There seems to be a hard limit of 12 active leads per area. I got another lead immediately after digging one up (bringing the total down to 11).

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 11, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

The High Isle arc dungeons are so ridiculously unpopular. Hours long waits for them to fire.

Then, when one finally does, you have about a 75% chance that the tank isn't tanky enough to handle the bosses' heavy attacks (probably part of why they're unpopular).

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Error 404 posted:

You still have to keep dots up, watch your buff timers etc. But the Build-up-to-Boom pipeline is very streamlined. You have a buff skill that gives you 1 crux for free, so you just flail, flail, then beam, repeat. That's it. Some people find it boring, I find the simplicity is nice so I can pay more attention to following mechanics.

I like going Flail, Escalating Runeblades, then beam.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Only real 'dead' time I've seen on the North American PC server is from ~7am to 9am EST. You've got a mix of North Americans, Australians, and Chinese that keep things moving at pretty much all hours.

But as mentioned above, whether people are doing content you want to do or not is always up in the air. You can join up to 5 guilds though to help with that issue.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

What does everyone think about the new dungeons? I like that they are a solid challenge but aren't nightmares like some of the dlc dungeons are.

Bedlam Veil's midboss feels more like the endboss, and I don't know if they fixed it yet but the monster helm drop wasn't curating correctly for some time (I got 4 mediums and 1 large). Don't really have any comment on Oathsworn besides the endboss fight being weirdly structured. Like, he just permanently starts charging up in the middle of the room and you can just waffle around doing whatever in the forge area indefinitely.

Oh, is it normal for them to give the dungeon DLC away for free to anyone with ESO+ on release? Thought it was incredibly strange that both the normal and deluxe versions were 0 crowns.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

So I've been trying to get the 'Messy Business' achievement (kill 10 players that have been covered in pie in Cyrodiil) on and off for a couple weeks now, and it is shockingly difficult.

Killing people isn't the problem, the problem is hitting them with the pie in the first place. The pies have collision. Target ducks behind a crate or tree? Miss. NPC or ally gets between you and the target while winding up the throw? They get hit instead. It's maddening.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You're supposed to find a buddy or two, go to a place away from fighting but near a rez spot and kill them while they let you, and vice versa. Even when you hit them with a pie there's a limited time for the kill to count.

Imagine using exploits to get achievements. What would even be the point?

Anyways, I'm up to 8/10 now. Four were legitimate, targeted pie -> kill. Two were on people AFK inside captured keeps, and two were lucky hits in mass melees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's a Jester's Festival achievement, doing silly poo poo to get it is in spirit with the achievement.

And... you consider getting someone to let you get 10 zero-effort kills on them, "silly poo poo". Because to me it looks coldly calculated, not much different from paying for a carry through a vet trial and the exact opposite of the event's spirit.

Well whatever, as long as you aren't going around bragging about having acquired all achievements or something I suppose it doesn't really matter how you got it.