Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
My secret is that I am garbage. That's right, I am a Japanese Web Novel. I contain gratuitous amounts of slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

If any of the things in the OP are legit trash or something cool should go in there let PM me or something, I've read way too few of them to actually know if they're good so I basically just put all of the suggestions people gave me that were talked about even vaguely positively.

There's nothing overtly bad. Aside from maybe Overlord, but that has enough of a following that it probably gets a pass.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

Now I can read books at 10 times the speed with none of the pleasure!
New thread title!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I've been enjoying the hell out of Running Away From the Hero!. It's an amusing take on a "I was reborn in a fantasy world" with a truly Korean flavor.

Basic Synopsis: Korean salaryman reincarnates into a fantasy world with absolutely no ability to use Physical Strengthening or Magic arts. How does he survive? He helps an evil organization cultivate scary students by brainwashing them and doing tons of paperwork to make himself invaluable. The catch? He doesn't really care about good or evil, he just trains troublesome students who end up all becoming monsters (whether Heroes or Villains) who still fear the hell out of him because of how harsh he was with forming them when they were young.

Along with his two mystical weapons the all-feared "Wooden Bat" and the reclusive yet terrifying "Metal Bat" watch his antics as his dream of an early retirement is ruined.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

It's interesting, but after the first 4 chapters, it's behind a paywall. That's pretty much the worst thing ever. The translation isn't even that good.

He still releases free chapters regularly. The paywall is more for early access to translated chapters that come out weekly-ish. He's gone forward, I think, 6 sections in the paywall from where the free translations are.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is still charging money for content they have no legal right to.

I'm not defending him. Just saying that you'll be able to read the story to completion for free. I find the story amusing and figured I'd share.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Jackard posted:

There are some good links but this thread has also recommended weird poo poo like a Chinese lich torturing people, so

I still stand by that recommendation! He was torturing his assassins by making them play games they couldn't win even though they're notorious cheaters and feather tickling.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

Backing away from Harry Potter fanfiction, let me recommend a Chinese web novel that's essentially fanfiction of being the author of famous (primarily Chinese) poetry and prose, I'm Really a Superstar. The translation level is really high.

Note, if you're going to read a chapter that was originally deleted from qidan I'd recommend you don't. The MC originally gets ALL kinds of rapey with the girls in his life. Like, no actual rape but drat if it doesn't count as sexual assault in some fashion.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Dungeon Defense is updating again. One of the best written novels out there if you can stomach the level of cynicism and dark overall tone. It's one of my favorites.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

then i might give it a try some time. just because my broad generalization has been right thus far doesn't mean it always will be.

It's still a power fantasy where dude becomes awesome sword and turns underaged cat girl into a killer with poor writing an tons of onomatopoeia. It isn't ~slave harem X~ bad. But still not good.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

i wish that wn's about genius doctors didn't always turn into an extended wankfest about traditional chinese medicine

i wish that wn's about reincarnated femme fatales weren't mostly about hooking up with an impossibly beautiful emperor

also, a sense of humor goes a long way because 99.999% of these crappy web novels are completely humorless

Hey now! They constantly use slapstick terrible humor.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yinlock posted:

konosuba is kinda this but the opposite, where normal dude enters a world of min-maxers and wins fights by fighting dirty

I'm not sure we have the same definition of "wins". He certainly doesn't die much though!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Dungeon Defense just completed its fourth volume and it was, as the others, glorious. If you haven't been reading about the demon world's most hosed up family dynamic this side of the Duggars you're missing out.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

UberJew posted:

give me general sheridan's cavalry corps sent to a generic fantasy wn after whipping lee

kill all the slavers and forcibly occupy a forest idiots are trying to chop down, usual stuff

Ooh how about Grant goes to stereotypical JP novel and liberates all the slaves from the annoying protagonists. I'd read that novel!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Argue posted:

I love Bookworm and was excited to learn that this was an entire genre, but then yeah those others were nowhere near as good, for those reasons you mentioned. Bookworm does have an element of "show off how awesome I am by improving technology", but it by no means comes easily; Maine really has to work hard for it, and frequently screws up too. In all the other web novels I've tried, they're born as rich people with a lot of people swooning over them by default, and they keep inventing new things without problems--if someone wants to invent chocolate, they'll have it by the end of the same chapter they thought of it.

There are some good ones out there but the genre is pretty packed with terrible novels. As for chocolate? It makes sense for a rich person to invent it considering the kind of growing necessary for it to be available widely. Unless you randomly reincarnate into a rain forest. In which case inventing chocolate is pretty much the least of your problems.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Paracelsus posted:

Sevens at least has internal tensions and the development of factions within the harem, plus the MC being distinctly unnerved by it outside of mr. lyle mode.

Sevens, by far, has the most enjoyable harem I've ever read of in a novel. Poor Lyle didn't want nor encourage it until it was too late to manage and now he's basically a prisoner in his own palace.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Rangpur posted:

I don't know what I was expecting when I had the notion to google Shield Hero to find out why whatshername decided to be a giant rear end in a top hat to the protagonist in the first place but oh my loving god

okay, peep this poo poo: after he demonstrates to the kingdom what a cool heroic slave owner he is the queen shows up and lets him legally change the princess' name to 'Bitch.' Over the next 200+ chapters she shows up again and again to keep being a huge rear end in a top hat, gets gruesomely executed twice, and after the 2nd time comes back as a literal deity of pure spite whom the MC finally kills with the help of his entire harem

But that's not the punchline. The punchline is that there is no reason she decided to frame him. None. I expected it to be petty and asinine, but even by the standards of web novels that plumbs new depths of aggrieved entitlement & wish fulfillment. Author might as well have named her Princess Girl-Who-Made-Fun-of-Me-in-High-School.

It's okay though. He has a slave army of underaged magic races that want to boink him. Also, for some reason, the queen named her kids "Melty" and "Malty". The writing may be the worst I've ever seen and I've browsed red pill forums when bored.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Semquais posted:

Also whenever the people living under the system gain exp that is actually a part of whatever they killed's soul getting grafted to their own, so its only the system' support keeping their mismatched souls still working. Which is why Shiro is trying to cut down on high level human/demons so that their souls can be "purifed" before the system is used to restore the planet.

I think that's wrong. That's why Poitomas is keeping the reincarnators all sequestered with no growth in the elf village. The experience gain helps restore the system when they die. She's trying to keep people from being unreasonably strong because she'll have to kill them to restore the system. Which is why she was trying to have pawns and jerks get the ruler titles.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my confusion wasn't so much about them not choosing to translate Honzuki as it is about them choosing to translate a million other terrible things instead. I certainly don't think people have an obligation to translate stuff, but it's just weird that someone would think "let's translate some web novels...hmm, this slave harem one looks good, let's do this one."

I think that not having a male protagonist is a big part of it, since the main purpose these web novels seem to fulfill for many readers is "a power fantasy where my self-insert gets to gently caress a harem of women," and Honzuki doesn't really check any boxes there.

You also need to take the relative language proficiency of the types that are drawn to "slave harem bonanza 2000". It's relatively easy to translate tons of dumb sound effects and simplistic single-sentence story structure and these dumb copy-paste novels are basically phone compositions.

Honzuki is more novel-esque. Imagine trying to translate something like worm to another language, it may not be high literature but it's pretty detailed.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't her willingness to bilk her family from after she's been repeatedly criticized by Benno for not "acting like a merchant"? I don't remember her doing the "I shouldn't charge this much" stuff beyond the point where she starts charging a commission from her family's labor.

Also, I think her family would understand if they knew that she needed the money to literally save her life.

Add to that is she really bilking them? She's making a lot MORE but they're basically making 1-3 months wages in a single night on crafts that they're spectacularly good at but never have time to do because of drudge work. This isn't exploiting coal miners because they don't know what gold looks like, she's having them do easy-to-do crafts to drastically improve their standard of living.

Not that she isn't getting wealthy off of it but, at least up until the newest chapter, her "incredible" wealth will buy her 6ish months more to live.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

There's no way that this is a real commercial. It tells us literally nothing except what the title already tells us, that the main character is in another world with his smartphone. What the gently caress, anime.

To be fair, that's about as deep as the story gets.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Raptor Wife is a pleasant slice of life romance.

Raptor Wife, although I never finished it, is a cute romance story about living as hobos in an igloo. No real super powers for the MC aside from him being a super hunk pretty boy.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

the dinosaurs were in your heart all along

I KNEW IT! More webnovels should have dinosaurs imo.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Maybe they'll edit it to not be a pedo misogyny fest? If you just took the premise and took those parts out it'd manage to be a mediocre(instead of godawful) story I guess?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Before I got disgusted by it the fact that there was a revenge plot and the various non-FEEEEEEEEEEMALES enemies were okay. Like if you took the barebones pedophilia and obvious revenge-against-highschool-enemies character descriptions it should be basically fine?

IIRC That japan defense force thing got progressively less horrible with each iteration Novel > Manga > Show (well, it was still horrible for all sorts of reasons).

Who am I kidding though? Even if they got rid of most of it Japan -loves- pedo bait.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

lol, in the lovely wn invincible the human-shaped locust mc has finally just started killing and eating people. no one except the victims see anything wrong with this.

Xianxia protagonists are notoriously horrible human beings. It's why I enjoy History's Number 1 Founder/Strongest Senior Brother. Because neither protagonist is particularly -good- at heart they're genuinely trying to help the situation. Plus Senior Brother just put the Tales of Demons and Gods analog out of his misery in a very satisfying fashion.

He struggled, still glaring unrelentingly at Yan Zhaoge with his right eye, filled with rage, hatred and unwillingness.

Yan Zhaoge looked calmly at Lin Zhou, saying mildly, “What, are you thinking about what you would definitely do if you could relive everything once more?”

Lin Zhou’s right eye abruptly dilated as he glared at Yan Zhaoge!

Seeing this expression of his, Yan Zhaoge nodded, “Before, I had still been unable to say for sure, only feeling that it felt like you had been reborn. Seeing your expression now, it must really have been like this.”

... [cut exposition that goes into more plot than I'd be comfortable spoiling]

“I am not clear whether you can relive things once more. Still, now, just go in peace,” Yan Zhaoge said indifferently, “Haven’t you yet noticed that after Clear Concealed Lake, the changes in the global situation would not really have changed whether or not you were present?”

“Perhaps this world has left you with regrets, but with you gone, there is nothing for this world to regret.”

Yan Zhaoge’s palm descended, “From a certain perspective, if the you back at Clear Concealed Lake had died then, there really is some possibility that it would have been a loss to the Eight Extremities World of that time. However, you yourself looked from important, weighty matters to inconsequential itches and pains.”

Lin Zhou died unresigned, his body completely exploded into a haze of blood mist!

His faint, silhouetted soul also dispersed with the wind.

The soul flying and the spirit scattering, to complete, and utter, damnation!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

There's something about translated Chinese WN prose that I just can't deal with. Like, that excerpt FriggenJ posted is translated much better than most, and it still has this awkward feel to it.

edit: If I had to describe it, it has a sort of "hammy" feel to it. Like everything is really overblown.

Well, this sure ain't the high literature thread. And we're talking about amateur translators localizing amateur writers for free.

I find the Chinese stuff translates much better than the Japanese at least. They use so much less idiotic onomatopoeia (Which I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing that it sounds so ridiculous, low brow, and annoying when in English but it's ALL over JP stuff).

Edit: I'm serious about the Japanese cultural question here. Like is it something about the language that makes the sound effects not over the top or lazy writing? Cause if so I'll stop judging it as harshly even if I can't stand reading it.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 26, 2017

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

it's not the focus, but it absolutely 100% fetishizes slavery. they choose to remain slaves because it is convenient but it's okay since the person who literally owns them as property is so nice!

Let's not forget the fetishization of super young girls. The protagonist claims he hates lolis but CLEARLY the author thinks they're the sexiest thing on earth and makes sure you know too.

Also, the writing style is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered. Fights are "So, I used [Game Skill] followed by [Game Skill] to defeat its [Game Skill]". The embodiment of "tell, not show."

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Socks4Hands posted:

its sinking in

One of us!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Sindai posted:

I hope that rabbit keeps showing up even after he becomes a god.

The indication was that the Rabbit was another reborn immortal of some sort. He's definitely loving with XBC/helping him along (I think). Imagine if he never had any motivation other than making pills in his basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
A Will Eternal has been on fire lately. BXC's decision making process is like "Will this make everyone hate me a ton but something I kinda wanna do? K, I'M ALL ABOUT THIS!"