Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Here's some character art from the latest Kumoko novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm almost done reading the fourth Kumoko novel.
While the first 3 volumes were mostly the same as the web novel, and most of the changes were on Shun's side (to accommodate the new character), starting with the end of volume 3 and continuing through volume 4, the Kumoko parts were totally redone. The order of events has been totally changed, and other than the talk with D (ch. 149-150 of the web novel), everything else is completely new content.
So if you can read japanese and liked the parts of Kumoko before she became a god, you should definitely give this a try.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

In the previous thread, someone posted a tool to make ebook-reader compatible files from Narou links.

Here's a website that does the same thing:
http://narou.nyanpass.jp/

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It wasn't that hard to find, it's on the very first page of the volume:

so yes, that's from the original text and not an editor fuckup.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kumoko novel v05 is releasing on February 10

Maybe we'll get some more regular updates of the web novel after that. The author said they were planning to finish the story in 2016, and Kumoko's timeline has almost caught up to where Shun's chapters stopped now, so there probably aren't many chapters left.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

blastron posted:

I like how even a series that's 80% about a spider eating monsters in a cave still gets the standard LN cover bullshit with sexy elves dominating the image and the main character tucked off in the corner somewhere

That started after she left the cave. Here are the other covers:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'm guessing whats-her-face on the cover of volume 4 is meant to be the teacher with the annoying vocal tic who reincarnated as an elf? Based on Blastron's translations it's a better execution of the trope than I would have expected, but I still get this throbbing pain in my temple whenever I have to read a lot of her dialogue at once.

The elf girl on the volume 5 cover is the teacher, yes (volume 4 is Sophia, the vampire). She stopped talking like that once things got serious, I don't remember her doing it at all in volume 4.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Because kumoko hasnt gotten a new chapter in ages

It seems like the Kumoko author is busy writing the good parts of Kumoko again, instead of continuing the WN version.
Volume 4 of the novel version was almost completely new content, and while volume 5 seems to be back on track so far, it's still all new text instead of just a slightly edited version of the web release.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Because kumoko hasnt gotten a new chapter in ages i started looking at more WN's because i needed my Non Human Protagonist Fix.

Well it seems like the drought is over. 2 new chapters today, and the Kumoko timeline has finally reached the battle for the elf village.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 20, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Parallel will has (somewhat) lived on in the Remnants of the Nightmare (aka those amazing brats), imho. I'd love for them to get a bigger role in the story, rather than just a cameo or two.
You'll need to learn japanese then. Because

Novel volume 5, final chapter posted:

(Kumoko decided to team up with the demon lord and the vampire baby)

And now that the threat of the demon lord is gone, I don't really have anything urgent I need to do.
Ah, actually, I'd like to lay more eggs somewhere. I want to have the insurance of reviving-by-egg.
Speaking of which, what should I do with the parallel wills and my babies in the Elro Labyrith?
I'll just ignore them.
Knowing those guys, they should be just fine on their own.

I would be coming to regret the choice I made that time.
The parallel wills, and their divergence from me.
The result of underestimating those two things would be coming back to me in the future.

[ Gentlemen! Let's start the preparations then. The preparations to eradicate all the humans and demons!]
[[[[[[[[ Yeah!!! ]]]]]]]]

...after which we get the authors afterword saying that the next volume will diverge a lot from the web novel, to the point where it might even reach 100% original content.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 22, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Has anyone here read "In a Different World with a Smartphone"?

It's getting an official english release by J-Novel Club:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/02/16-1/j-novel-club-licenses-in-another-world-with-my-smartphone-light-novels

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, speaking of Kumo, I read the manga up to the point where she enters the lava area. Where should I start in the WN (using blastron's translation) if this is the case? I found a chapter that seemed to correspond to her entering the lava place, but then I ran into some chapter talking about other human/elf characters that wasn't mentioned in the manga, so I think the manga left some stuff out.

Read the chapters S01 - S10 because the manga completely skips that part of the story.
After that, you can continue around chapter 69

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

There are scans of the novels on Nyaa that probably include illustrations, if you can be bothered to look through them.

Hugo (Sword Emperor guy) is page 278 of colume 4, Euri (Saint girl) is in the color illustrations at the start of volume 5

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's mostly handled by focussing on other chracters and by giving Kumoko a problem that she can't deal with easily despite being overpowered.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Volume 4 of the novel includes a timeline

notable events:

Year 840: Kumoko is born
841: Shun and the other human classmates are born.

Ronant encounters Kumoko in the Labyrinth.
Kumoko leaves the Labyrinth.

842: Kumoko appears in Sariela.
Sariela is wiped out in the war.

843: Fragments of the nightmare appear

845: "Sword Demon" appears, is driven away by Ronant

847: Appraisal ceremony for Shun&Co

848: Fey (Novel exclusive character) is born

851: Shun&Co start going to the School

856: Human-Demon war

Also, since scans for volume 5 are out now

Cover
Poor Mera looks a lot more like a Demon Lord than the actual Demon Lord

:3:
Fei (novel exclusive Dragon character, in human form)
Hugo vs Oka-sensei at the battle for the Elf Village
Sophia
Ariel
Arachne
Mera gets turned into a vampire
Potimas attacks Arachne-Kumoko
The battle didn't quite go as Potimas expected
Gloria
Cyborg-Potimas

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm is good largely because the protagonist doesn't suddenly become super rich and powerful or have any unusual abilities.

I've only read the first part, but she's already made more money than her father is going to earn in his whole life, and she does in fact have unusual abilities

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 22, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Shun had some kind of "everything tends to go the way he wants" cheat skill.
No idea about the other two. Looking back at the chapter where Hugo attacks Shun, his unique skill is probably "Emperor": Buffs skill effects and inflicts fear.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 26, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not yet, but we're getting a flashback arc right now that's set when Ariel was just born, and before the System was created, so it might come up eventually.

e:

Ytlaya posted:

As of where I am (chapter 226) am I supposed to know what Kumoko's goal is (or details about stuff like MA energy, etc)? I understand the fact that the System basically uses "real" magic to create this whole system of skills that people can manipulate, and how stuff like attributes are just the result of the System applying magic to people/creatures.

Chapter 268 explains what's actually going on

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Argue posted:

I just finished the first arc myself last Sunday, after starting on the raws in October, and am still enjoying it. I like that even though she technically does have a special power (generic "has magic") like other protagonists, as far as I can tell, it's only going to be used to solve problems related to magic--as opposed to a power which lets her cheat her way to making books. I'm interested to see where it goes with this new status quo too. I've mentioned this before but it's done a pretty good job of keeping me engaged so far despite my slow reading speed--at 3-4 hours per chapter (+30 minutes of getting help with difficult sentences) and taking into account where I can fit it into my schedule, it is going to take me another 5 years to finish it :negative: But hey my reading skill has improved greatly since starting so thanks Maine.

Yeah, I also read through the first arc in japanese, and while It was harder than the things I've read before it, it was possible to work though it while learning a bunch of new words.
Except for chapter 23, that one totally destroyed me. All those cooking terms and ingredient names :smithicide:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

makes me think that they know a little Japanese but not enough

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

but weebs gonna weeb.

It's mostly this, as seen by the reactions whenever a translator dares to replace "Itadakimasu" with an equivalent expression

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Quoting myself, since it's relevant to the current discussion:

Tamba posted:

Volume 4 of the novel includes a timeline

Year 840: Kumoko is born
841: Shun and the other human classmates are born.

847: Appraisal ceremony for Shun&Co

851: Shun&Co start going to the School

856: Human-Demon war

also, Kumoko-planet-years are a bit longer than earth years, so you can probably add a year or two if you're calculating ages.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any word on how close the series is to finishing? From what I understand the translations are around where the raws are, right? I'm wondering if the story will end with the resolution of the whole "saving the world" issue or if the plot will move on to the larger setting (we still don't really know what's up with all the Gods, netherworld, etc).

I actually thought it would be over shortly after chapter 300, but then the author started another flashback chapter, so who knows. The main story seems to be almost finished though.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Probably it helped that the author was re-writing the story for the Light Novel version as they went.

Although I guess the light novel switches a few things around, so it'll be interesting to see if the story ends in a different way.

Two changes I know about :
- One of the students gets reincarnated as a dragon-type monster, whom Kumoko almost ate as an egg, and was later raised by Shun. I guess she gets a human form later.
- I guess Kumoko takes longer to become a god. All the roadtripping with Ariel happens when she's still in her arania stage.

The LN also got an extra volume worth of content between her defeating the Earth Dragon Araba and encountering Baby-Sophia for the first time that ends with her fighting Mother head-on (instead of just getting a random mega-levelup out of nowhere).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

But that's the LN, blastron is translating the web novel version.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

Er, that doesn't seem entirely important to me.

It means that Yen press probably won't be able to send a C&D to blastron, because they don't have the rights to the web novel version.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I don't really agree that a translation of the web novel is cutting into anyone's revenues.
The web novel is still being released for free on Narou, and it got me to buy all the LN volumes. If anything, you're providing free advertising for the (improved) LN, the same way the untranslated web novel does.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mulva posted:

Learn another language.

Yeah, if you want to read all of it, learning japanese would be faster than waiting for official releases, even if a licensing deal was announced right now. Honzuki has a crazy amount of text.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Does Wanikani have an advantage over Anki? I've been using Anki for my own reading, inputting new kanji as I come across them (well, if I evaluate them to be useful, rather than something like 簀桁). I've gone from 800 kanji to 1100 since starting a few months ago but I don't know if I can maintain that pace. The cards are already piling up, so lately I've been running chapters through a Japanese word count program and only memorizing kanji/words that occur the most frequently. I've been meaning to write some kind of program to generate a word list for me but processing unicode in Python seems to be :effort:

No, Anki can do anything Wanikani does and much more.
What kind of tool are you looking for? Because there's this and this

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zandracon posted:

wow, rokujouma got picked up by jnovel. the fan translator who did the previous 22 volumes is working on it, and they're releasing a re-edited version of the past 22 volumes for free

wonder how the hell they managed that deal

From Reddit:

quote:

They asked me to license it and I hesitated because of the length and because of the active and relatively high quality fan translation. I floated the possibility of cooperating somehow with them and they seemed amicable (pending a specific plan). I then approached Warnis, had a few conversations with him and brainstormed this release paradigm, created a full project presentation (kikakusho, in Japanese), and presented it to the Japanese publisher for their agreement. It was only after this was approved internally that we did the normal licensing contract (which wasn't hard since we'd already done a number of other contracts). All dealings with obtaining the rights to the fan translation, etc, were done straight by us, so as far as the Japanese company is concerned they aren't working "directly" with fan translators (or former ones), but they did approve this release structure with the understanding that they did not want to alienate the current readership/fanbase at all.

I think they understand it's the same thing as when they license a popular web novel: If they force the web novel author to stop posting to syosetsu or to remove the webnovel version from syosetsu, it leaves a bad taste in the fans' mouth and lowers sales of the LN.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, and the next novel release date was announced (June 9th) so we'll probably get a few weeks of web novel updates until the author disappears again, unless they actually end the story this time.

e:

Volume 3: 2016/07/09, Web novel activity from 2016/06/16 until 2016/07/29
Volume 4: 2016/10/10, Web novel activity from 2016/09/06 until 2016/11/14
Volume 5: 2017/02/10, Web novel activity from 2017/02/16 until 2016/03/18

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 19, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

So what volumes of the Kumo Desu Ga LN have substantial differences from the WN versions? Was thinking about buying some raws.

I have all the volumes other then the latest one, which is still on its way here.

For the Kumoko parts, the first 2 1/2 volumes are basically directly taken from the web novel with only slight editing. It starts diverging at the end of volume 3 where the fight against Araba and everything surrounding it was completely rewritten.
Volume 4 is almost completely new content set between Kumoko finding the exit to the dungeon and her meeting the vampire-baby for the first time, that ends with her fighting Mother head on, instead of just getting a random mega-levelup out of nowhere.
Volume 5 goes back to web novel content again, but with big differences, that end with Kumoko joining up with Ariel, Sophia and Merazophis while she's still an Arachne and not a god yet.

On Shun's side, the differences were there right from the beginning. The novel version skips all the chapters with Shun as a baby and only starts at the appraisal ceremony (but some of the content from the early chapters is integrated in later ones). It also introduces a new character who was reborn as an earth dragon. This changes some details in the early chapters, but the bigger divergence also starts in volume 3 with the coup, because Sophia is actively involved there instead of just secretly doing things in the background like in the web novel.

Volume 6 (released this week) is supposed to be 100% original content.

tl;dr: If you don't want to reread things, start with volume 3, because that's where the big differences start.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 10, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I'm a little burnt out on Honzuki (I love it but man it's a slow slow burn sometimes) so I've been looking around for other series with a good level of adorable and world building. I just started up Death March Kara Hajimaru something-or-other which appears to have a pretty cute cast.

Anyone have other recommendations that fit the two requirements of: adorable and good world building?
Untranslated stuff is fine.

I read the first volume of 十歳の最強魔導師 which definitely was very adorable (and without anything you could call creepy).
But it was also kind of boring, and the writing felt even more amateurish than usual(even though I read the LN version, not the original on Narou) , so i didn't bother with it past the first volume.

I've also read and liked the first 3 volumes of 鑑定能力で調合師になります. It's refreshing, because the main character isn't overpowered for once. It's quite comfy and mostly about him figuring out alchemy by trial and error, or walking around the town to shop for things. There isn't much action, and the few battles there are only have him supporting from the back, while actual adventurers fight.
Cons: The economics make no sense. The main character has also started figuring out potions that can be be used offensively, and the story seems to be moving into a harem-y direction, so I might have to retract that recommendation eventually.

This one is also available on Narou, but from skimming the first few chapters, it seems like the published release was edited quite heavily. The web novel starts with the main character getting stuck with the "useless" appraisal skill (he thought it would be the ultimate cheat ability, but there are no stats or levels in the world, so the only thing it's good for is appraising items). He kinda grudgingly decides to become an alchemist after being laughed out of the adventurers guild.

In the novel version, he's a huge fan of crafting games (basically the Atelier series) and specifically wants to become an alchemist right from the beginning.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

Yay, Bookworm is #1.

And the Kumoko novel version got second place. I'm 100 pages into the latest volume and crazy stuff continues to happen:

The novel version started going of the rails around the end of volume 3, and now things have changed so much that volume 6 and 7 were 100% original content. It might link back up eventually though, since it seems like Kumoko finally becomes a god at the end of this volume

e: vvv I assume this was directed at the Uchi no musume talk above?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 26, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A Spherical Sponge posted:

So are all the existing translations of Kumoko translations of the web novel? Or are the LN versions being translated also? I couldn't see any distinction for chapters on the novel updates website.

The LN got licensed by Yen press, but they haven't released anything past the first volume yet. All translations online are for the WN.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

So how is the YP translation of Kumoko? I'm used to Blastron's version, but I enjoyed the story enough that I'd like to support the localization effort.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I agree. Even if you like blastron's translation more, you shouldn't disregard the novel version, because it has a lot of extra content (past volume 3) while generally improving things by rewriting/skipping boring chapters.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

the big change should be how kumoko ascends into godhood, which sounds good. "kumoko wanders into a cave, fights some robots and then becomes a god" was kinda lacking, especially now that we've seen how potimas spent thousands of years trying everything he could think of to become one.

I'm still reading volume 7, but (novel spoilers)all Kumoko parts of volume 4 are new content between Kumoko finding the exit to the dungeon and her encountering baby Sophia, that ends with her fighting Mother head on (instead of a random "oh, the mind-hacking was successful" *mega levelup*).
Then at the end of volume 5, she starts traveling with Ariel and Sophia, while still being an Arachne, which continues through all of volume 6.
I know that she becomes a god at the end of volume 7, but with how things are going, she definitely earned it.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

I don't even know of an MMO webnovel where anybody doesn't take MMOs super seriously.

Only Sense Online

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They just announced a release date for volume 11 of Log Horizon (March 20th).
While the author continued writing the web novel (which is up to volume 14 now), this will be the first book release since the tax evasion stuff a few years ago.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

kumoko totally didn't earn her divinity, though. i expect that remained true in the ln version, though i'm not sure about the exact details of how it happened there.
She definitely had to fight for it a lot harder than in the WN, but I'm assuming the reason why she was able to become a god in the first place is still the same. (I haven't read volume 8 yet, maybe it's covered there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I've been reading the novel version of Only Sense Online lately and wanted to check how far along the web novel version was, when I found this recent post by the author

quote:

書籍版が徐々にWeb版に追いつき、そう遠くない未来に書籍版が追い越す可能性があります。
 [...]
 また、小説家になろうでの規約の変更により、書籍がWebを追い越した場合は、削除対象となる可能性があるなど現状を考え、担当編集者と協議の結果、Only Sense Onlineは、Web版の第6部までを書籍に流用し、それ以降の第7・8部の部分は書籍とはせずに、第6部相当する書籍以降は、一部流用することはありますが書き下ろしをベースに刊行していくという方向性になりました。
The published novel has almost caught up with the web novel version, so he's diverging the storylines to avoid breaking Narou's rules?

e: this seems to be the relevant part of the rules
Basically, Narou doesn't want to be abused as an advertising platform for published novels, so you aren't allowed to
- Keep the first few volumes online, then say "now buy the novel if you want to know how the story ends".
- Delete the parts of your story that have been released in novel form (or replace them with summaries).
Diverging the stories enough that they aren't compatible with each other anymore seems to be a trick to get around that.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 13, 2018