Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

how funny is this show

because people keep trying to hint that it might be super funny but at a glance it's free on ice

i dunno what exactly is wrong with free, but the first episode of this was super cute and yes, funny. it's not a comedy or anything but it found it enjoyable all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like my sports anime to be more ~hot~ and less cool which is why I like Haikyu instead of Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk instead of Kurokos.

this seems more...soft? the mc is a chubby and emotional/sensitive guy, in contrast with the cool and experienced champion and hot-headed thuggish kid.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

but is he the soft and emotional sensitive type that has a deep well of drive that will make me feel hype like Ippo/Onoda/the Tennis guy from Baby Steps???

i'm confident he will find it as the show progresses. in the first ep he's dealing with a slump/depression.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I kind of feel like the two Yuris getting together is more likely than Japanese Yuri and Viktor, if anyone gets together with anyone, but the promo material sure has been teasing the latter pairing.

Russian Yuri is 15 so i doubt it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Viktor is 27/28

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this show already has a ton of good fanart, i'm thankful and proud

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly the show is already making me cry, so god knows what will happen by the end. i'm so glad yuri picked the outfit he did, and both of the programs were beautiful. the split format already looks to be making things interesting, with yurio getting his own crew of weirdoes to bounce off of. :kimchi:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the show can and should be as gay as it likes, but i don't trust viktor to not hurt yuri. so an alternative would be preferable...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway until it actually crosses the gay line i'm still feeling pretty ambivalent about that aspect of the show. people are really hyped up on how prevalent the subtext was in this episode but i still feel like it could be pulled out from under me at any second. hopefully in a few weeks we'll know one way or another.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

it sounds like a song somebody might actually do a skating routine to, so i've really grown to like it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

american VAs putting on fake accents triggers me. :rip: the chance at this show having a good dub

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the production issues in this ep kinda brought me down, but i absolutely love everything going on in russia and the triplets remain adorable. it's also heartening to see yuri and viktor opening up, even if the latter is still being sabotaged by yuri idolizing him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Parallax posted:

this show has gotten so rough looking especially during the skating sequences it's hard to watch at times

i definitely was feeling the roughness more at the start, but with four of the six programs looking pretty good i definitely left the episode pleased. the fact that they are even showing all these routines (to some extent) in the first place is surprising to me. some of the cut-aways even seem like they could be replaced with more skating animation for the blurays (ahh...i'm probably overestimating them again).

outside of the iffy animation, this episode was amazing. having all those programs was a real treat, and the new guys range from inoffensively cute to ridiculously funny. it was great to see yuri so determined and have that rewarded with overwhelming success, and chris' program had me hooting/hollering irl at the unexpected hypersexual direction. georgi was also entertaining to watch, but drat his whole look was godawful.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

That was the point though wasn't it?

I loved Mila's commentary on it.

with figure skating outfits, i never know

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where can i get broccoli that big

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

everything i've heard about free makes comparing anything to it sound like kinda insulting. while i agree viktor can be offputting (i still don't particularly like him, much less him with yuri), the show is definitely giving care to the sexuality of its characters. also yurio is in no way involved in any sort of love triangle, if you really expected that to be a thing after ep3 lol.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's hosed up that i'm too cynical to think they actually kissed. really liked the dynamic this episode, where yuri shifted into having the upper hand hard. it's nice to see viktor feel off his game for a little bit and makes him way more relatable/likable.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gone, but not forgotten

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Really? Her's a post that goes into great detail as to how the scene was set up and clearly written as a kiss, despite the lack of an onscreen lip-lock.

this person does cool posts but god drat is their theme hosed up/unreadable on a desktop

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I know that some series are more popular overseas than they are in Japan. I'm curious to know how many people are staying up to watch it/recording it in Japan since it does start so late, whereas it's pretty easily accessible in the rest of the world. We'll know for sure when the sales figures come out in a few months.
I'm sure I'll be preordering it like everyone else. Anyone know how long it usually takes for a show to come out in R1?

well it'll depend on a bunch of factors but funimation seems to get shows out in around a year, since a lot of their recent releases are mid-2015 shows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

His ex is right there, and is a skater herself so she understands the language he's speaking - and he's not being shy about explaining it to anyone who listens, judging by how the entire rest of the cast gets what he's doing. This isn't just someone drawing angry doodles in their diary, this is a major artist making his next public piece of art about how his ex-girlfriend is a piece of poo poo but it's OK because he forgives her, and then premiering it right in front of her.

What he's doing is pretty enormously lovely, and he's only a fun character because his giant manchild tantrum is being played for all the cringe comedy it can be.

the dude is doing an ice skating equivalent of a taylor swift song, it's not that bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess i can just go back to this post

Darth Walrus posted:

His ex is right there, and is a skater herself so she understands the language he's speaking - and he's not being shy about explaining it to anyone who listens, judging by how the entire rest of the cast gets what he's doing. This isn't just someone drawing angry doodles in their diary, this is a major artist making his next public piece of art about how his ex-girlfriend is a piece of poo poo but it's OK because he forgives her, and then premiering it right in front of her.

What he's doing is pretty enormously lovely, and he's only a fun character because his giant manchild tantrum is being played for all the cringe comedy it can be.

i don't think georgi is blasting his embarrassing breakup for everyone to hear, especially since only two characters in the entire cast comment on it and they're indirectly related to it (his rinkmates). it's hardly as public as anybody here is making it out to be, though there is social media documentation that you could say blurs that line. he's also not making his performance about how she's a piece of poo poo! he's broken up about being dumped and his short program is basically him channeling that angst into a routine. it sucks to be broken up with, i'm not going to begrudge him using those negative feelings as inspiration in this case. the free skate is where it does get dicey, because you see him express persistence in getting her back/"protecting" her. still, this is at worst a lovely internal monologue only somewhat expressed through a skating routine that still has artistic/athletic merit. i don't think he's meant to be likable and is the butt of the joke, but the dude is ineffectual. he's not even acting on his thoughts other than skating them out, which is pretty coded.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

someone awful. posted:

I mean he has said the theme of his skating this season is heartbreak though (the announcer was talking about it), the way yuuri said his was love, so it doesn't seem inconceivable that fans would know what was up?

Look at least he's not having an orgasm Everytime he skates unlike some other people we could talk about :colbert:

i mean yes, heartbreak as a theme + their social media posts means essentially anybody could know what's up with his routine. the same is true for any artist who has publicly available information related to their life or w/e. i don't feel like it's a super meaningful point when it's not brought up in the show and could just extend into infinity. more importantly, the content of his art isn't demeaning or slanderous to who it's about so people knowing or being able to sleuth it out doesn't really make the situation worse regardless of people knowing.

as for chris, at least he learned to suppress his erections while skating.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad we have fanartists willing to correct the mistakes in the show

https://twitter.com/mmmaoh/status/799024440495525900

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The skating stories seemed to emulate other amines. Guang Long's looked very Cowboy Bebop, while Georgi's was super JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (his costume in ep6 screamed JoJo) with its colours and angles.

My boyfriend and I binged the first 4 episodes together when that was all there was, and now we watch it every week and love every moment. I have to deal with the fact that he now says that Phichit is his other boyfriend.

I've booked us tickets to go ice skating together in December. :allears:

sakugablog actually posts translated interviews with the show's costume designer, if you're interested in their inspirations or directions they were given by the director. you can find them here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

due to the funimation-crunchyroll partnership, i'd expect funi to release the discs. no idea if they'll be doing a particularly thorough second pass though, and i definitely wouldn't expect it to suddenly be bursting with the nuanced stuff you're seeing in that tumblr post.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

On the other hand, they've already corrected "girlfriend" to "lover" for certain lines in the dub.

no idea whether to attribute that to accuracy or better matching lip flaps, but it's cool to hear.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe i ever thought JJ was cute. kill me now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Chedranian Girl posted:

Christ, though, Yurio's dance was amazing (and I'm really digging the longer hair).

This whole episode was really really nice! Everything about it was just so lovely, and the end had me beaming like a lightbulb. Is next week the last one? :(

it should be 12 episodes, given sites are listing it with 6 BD volumes and there are usually 2 episodes per disc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

devtesla posted:

I want this show to run without Mappa splitting time between it and two other shows

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbh i just want Sayo Yamamoto to make another show on this level by end of 2017/sometime 2018. four years between shows is too much for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

If any of it was out yet, I'd be buying some!

smh if you don't already have $100+ of merch preordered :shepspends:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/massefext/status/805496901789503488

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/alderion_al/status/806066041667407872

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad georgi moved on

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

I haven't heard the dub before this post but wow, holy poo poo. He sounds like a phone sex operator.

with no context, that sounds perfect for him

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

That's what I was wondering about in the flashback! Is that Chris's boyfriend, or...

well his coach is the bald guy so i'm assuming they're dating.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I actually still don't like JJ.

Also, Johnny apparently doesn't like JJ and Chris.
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/809535893425963008

yeah, jj can disappear off the face of the earth. chris is adorable though and might be beating yuri for my fave.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pray for the finale

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/809443106424836098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like the little dancy kid I always forget the name of but the one everyone calls a chicken nugget dipped in ketchup, Yuri's fan. I want to see more of him just because I dig blending swing and skates.

minami! i always gently caress up and call him nishinoya since they're so similar, lol

• Locked thread