Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dude, this type of boot fastening has been invented years later in Milan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also frying pans like the one on the right haven't been invented until late XIXth century when cooking stoves became popular.

Seriously what's even the point of setting your game in a particular historical year if you're going to basically piss all over the time period, have dozens of glaring mistakes in every single character (every second piece of clothing on your characters is wrong) but then be all smug about not having guillotines because they weren't invented until a year later.

You're already ignorant about everything else, you obviously don't have resources to actually research the subject properly and your artists don't give a poo poo about history and just draw whatever they feel like looks old enough but ooooh boy let us tell gamers how hardcore we are about guillotine history :smuggo:.

Either be actually historically accurate or admit you're putting things into your game that look cool but may be taken from later time periods in which case you should put guillotines into your game.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 11, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

*rides into the room on a new mini Segway while holding a freshly released Do4m gamebox and with a "make America great again" cap on his head* Hello fellow kids, welcome to this historically accurate depiction of 2005 - a year before Twitter went live.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anticheese posted:

You can't cook with a guillotine though? :confused:
Of course you can:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gobblecoque posted:

If we're using stuff that's almost a century off then we might as well really charge into it. Stuff like revolvers would really spruce up this game if we're not gonna have guillotines.
Hell, if they're already a century off they might as well give those French revolutionaries something even cooler like laser guns and laser chariots. Imagine a chariot that instead of horses has two huge hovering engines with a laser current connecting them and the revolutionaries would race them on a desert planet and maybe chop off a few heads with the laser currents while they're at it. Then there would be a zoom in on a kid's face and he would say something like "sacrebleu, now this is podracing".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

hyperdevbox posted:

Who changed the name of this post?
How is that possible? And, how do I change it back?
I'm sorry, there must be some kind of glitch going on because when I tried fixing it, it wouldn't let me delete anything and only add new stuff so I did the best I could with this situation. I contacted the admins about it, you must be patient.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm glad we were able to fix the issue OP, thank you for your cooperation and keeping your calm in this potentially distressing situation. I hope you will continue being active in this thread and updating us on your progress.

Sincerely, Mo-Mos and Min-Mins (that's how we call admins in our little circle of Mo-Mos) of Something Awful

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, the OP got the whole Mo-Mo team appear in this thread. The room is packed like during the verdict announcement of Louis XVI.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm sure that in the name of historical accuracy the many executions that will be depicted in the game will happen by the means of a breaking wheel which was the default capital punishment device in 1789. Guillotine which was introduced as a new way of humane execution at the time is probably just way too tame for the devs. They want NPCs suffering slow torment for days so that your party has a chance to interact with them in the meantime, get a side-quest or two and maybe steal some change from their pockets when nobody's looking. From a game mechanics perspective It's understandable really.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thanks, finally some new screenshots from the game. Are you on the dev team?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The White Dragon posted:

he isn't but i might be. i was contacted and told word of my legendary* technique in programming had reached their ears and that i would be an invaluable asset in the process of converting the sample video into a working game. however, i feel that perhaps it is not in my best interest to join the team at this time, unless i am allowed to include guillotines. i promise to negotiate to the best of my ability
As most likely the only person on the team able to read code you could probably sneak in some guillotines into the game that could be enabled with a highly controversial console command.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Good to see it's one of those ambitious games where your choices have consequences.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gobblecoque posted:

Will there be french fries in the game this is important?
Jesus Christ dude, French fries come from Belgium, this is a historically accurate game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

hyperdevbox posted:

My apologies to everyone for not participating in the thread recently.
The campaign launch is growing near, and we are extremely busy in preparation.

I promise to reply to all the (serious) questions/comments, and continue giving you updates, once things calm down a bit here.
In the meantime I give you permission to continue talking about guillotines and lobsters, though I do suggest you take a nice stroll outside, and maybe get some fresh air instead?
Hello, thank you for coming back to the thread, you were missed! You could maybe make up for it by posting as many fresh screenshots/artwork pieces as you can? After all, it's right there in the thread title.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Space Bat posted:

Any further questions about the game's development?
Thank you, I can see now how the devs' choice to focus on guns in order to prevent showing excess violence was wise.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

hyperdevbox posted:

Fresh screens of WHAT? What part of "a work in progress" do you not get?
I think people would be satisfied with things in progress as well. More artwork, even sketches, screenshots from the SDK, models, textures, execution machinery animations, incomplete things that show in what direction you're going, things like that. I mean, it looks like you only post final images approved by a committee that could be shown in the Steam store or something so it's understandable that there aren't that many of them ready yet.

However, this isn't a gamescon or an official press conference, we're just extremely hardcore devoted religious gamers, completely ultra-crazy about JRPGs almost to the point of mental illness, having tons and tons of fun with our trademark brand of gamer humor that we're proud of, casually chatting and sharing our thoughts on something that, who knows, may end up being the best JRPG of the year it comes out in.

So we crave for more dev involvement, like we're your best buddies and not just a sales target or something. It's like a non-stop giant sleepover here so put on your warm sleepers, grab a hot cocoa and share some secrets with your BFFs. All the teasing you get in this thread is in good intensions because these people, that I'm not afraid to call my family, just want to be your friends (some of them are mean because they were bullied in highschool, be understandable) and maybe peek into the magical process of creating games.

So please, share some stuff even if it isn't complete yet so that we understand that you actually deeply care for our collective future purchases of your game. After all, this is one of the most important gaming forums on the planet - for example Obsidian and CD Projekt Red devs regularly post here as well as the creators of The Zybourne Clock.

P.S. Also the more abuse you get the better, it means people care a whole lot or are jelly, you wouldn't like to have one of those threads that just slips into oblivion with no reaction whatsoever, trust me.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 7, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Honestly a game where you run a tavern during some very turbulent historical times that you get a glimpse at via visitor interactions would loving own. It would work for the French Revolution but for Nazi Germany as well. There would be the progression of the historical situation changing as well and you could for example save people trying to hide from the oppression or cooperate with the government/mob etc. Running a business during oppressive times - basically a fusion of Recettear and Papers, Please! with your choices making it possible to even get you killed if you don't play things smart.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Please continue, you're actually posting gameplay screenshots like the thread name set by the devs themselves suggests.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Weird, I can't find the pledge button in this post and I want to press it immediately!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You don't understand game development.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I mean, 'we'll add guillotines to the game' would be a pretty amazing kickstarter stretch goal and why not do it if the masses want it? Just a thought but what do I know, I'm only a marketing expert in a big corporation.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I have a bad feeling about this, I'm sorry OP for the distress you're experiencing with the thread title changes. It's either some 4chan hacker (they like to ddos us all the time) or somebody way higher up and I mean WAY higher up on this site's foodchain personally changing the title. It would have to be the site owner or maybe a sysadmin or the site's propaganda minister or somebody crazy powerful like that but my security clearances sadly don't go high enough to tell (think of SA as a little Pentagon). I have the syspanel before my eyes right now and the username written next to the thread title change only says 'rogue one'. I can't click on anything here, I'll escalate the issue to more powerful Mo-Mos, I'll have to trust my feelings here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

So you're the rogue one, I'll remember this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kelp Me! posted:

holy poo poo there's a $35k backer tier
My wallet!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

hyperdevbox posted:

Please calm down,

We are having civilized discussion here, he asked us about references because we are a game developer, it is a legit question and I replied, he/she introduced himself as a professional writer, i am asking the same so does it work only one way here ?
I actually understand your request but it still needs to be kept at an adequate level, don't you think? I mean, if you were hiring somebody to sell fruit at your banana stand you woldn't be asking them to show their MBA in economics... So I'd say in this case maybe a certificate of finishing primary school would suffice?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anticheese posted:

I'm seriously reconsidering picking up the code to my guillotine generator, hooking it up to an image scaler and palate swapper (a JRPG staple!!!) and make an idle game about breeding guillotines. I was able to get the bare bones of it up and running in about 20 minutes, so this should be able to come out before a gameplay demo from hyperdevbox.
If you get any sort of interactive version of this playable I'll give you a custom platinum icon next to your forums name and a big av of choice.

This goes for anybody who attempts to create a game revolving around playable guillotines. Let's get a guillotine-themed game jam going people!

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 23, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

The part where we sucked his dick was actually supposed to be the “climax” of the experience.
Worst Christmas ever!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, at least now you know who they modeled the eyes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Crossposting but in honor of our fallen heroes, I'm making this for the SA Gamedev thingy.

Fructidor: Juicy Fruities, a guilloutine-themed fruit slicing game, set in the French Revolution. (First "gameplay" video in the second link)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post467970233
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279&pagenumber=3#post467984112
drat, this owns.

• Locked thread