Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
As of today, I completed the last of the 4-Star Ability hones on a list that I've been working on for 6 months. Naturally I still have some 5-Star Abilities to work on, such as the Darkness skills and Chain Blizzaga, but it seems like those are so far away from what can be earned doing dailies.

Without specific, achievable goals to work towards, my whole FFRK world has been turned upside down. I feel like I should probably work on Realm Dungeons today now, but it feels wrong not to be doing Tuesdaily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you have all the available record materia?

I have all of the Record Materia that I can currently get. Anything that I don't have yet requires leveling characters to 65 and breaking the cap. So I always run with characters that get me closer to that goal.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I currently have the following 5* skills at rank 1, and I haven't decided which order to work on them, and how far to hone them:

Chain Blizzaga
Chain Firaga
Tornado Strike
Full Charge
Powerchain
Dark Zone

The only one that I can afford to hone right now is Tornado Strike, but I'm not sure if it fits cleanly into my setup. I'm also tapped out on Non-Elemental Orbs, so it will take quite a while to build up what's needed for the Chain spells.

My current A-Team is:

Tyro (SG)
Ramza (Shout)
Selphie (Dreamstage)
Some combination of: Lightning (Crushing Blow) / Agrias (Cleansing Strike) / Terra (M-Tek Missile) / Garnet (Dagger of Resolve BSB)

I also have BSBs for Squall and Balthier, but I need to level them up quite a bit to slot them into an Ultimate team.

What's my play here?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Attestant posted:

Are those your only 5* skills, or do you have Full Break at r2 already?

Ah yes, I forgot to note my existing 5* skills. I have Full Break, Saint Cross, Flare, and Meteor at R3, and Flashing Blade, Thief's Revenge, and Multi-Break at R2. My 4* skills are also totally covered, everything marginally useful is honed to R3 or 4. I'm just looking for next steps, since I don't have a clear path. I have a bunch of medica SBs, and a ton of physical SBs, but not much in the way of magic ones. So I don't know if I should lean on Tornado Strike and FC/PC to further the physical agenda, or go to the Chain -agas and Dark Zone to make up for my lack of magic damage.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Sprite141 posted:

Words about 5* Skills

Attestant posted:

Words about 5* Skills

Thanks for the advice! It looks like I'll be leaning toward Dark Zone first, then Full Charge. Should I go R3 on both? (and R3-4 on Memento Mori?)

Regarding Thief's Revenge and Dragoon Jump, the only decent SB I have on a character who can get 5 hits out of TR is Zidane's Shift Break. Is that one SB and TR worth bringing him in a Shout party? And up until this point I never even considered Dragoon Jump - I had a bias against dragoons in the Final Fantasy games because I didn't like having to wait for them to hang around in the air, and I guess the bias just carried over and I never really took that class seriously. But again, if I get a decent SB on a dragoon, I'll probably consider honing Dragoon Jump.

Flare and Meteor have carried me pretty far, and Meteor + Ruinga has allowed me to plow through dailies with no one but a black mage, so I'm hesitant to lose it just yet. And I like Flare as something that I can stick onto a black mage and know that it will do decent damage without having to worry about resists. I'm sure they will both be overshadowed shortly, and I will re-assess them.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
That is a real lovely thing for Google to do. But unless you need that $100 for rent or something, I would look at it like, "I was gonna throw money at the game for dollar pulls anyway. Now I can dollar pull on every banner for the next year."

Now that the horses are out of the barn, use the cash on a game you enjoy. :)

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Along with a few other SB items, I got an off-banner Coral Sword from FFIX today. It says that it increases lightning damage.

I also have Lightning with Crushing Blow, and a Kaiser Shield. Will the bonus lightning damage for the Coral Sword and Kaiser Shield stack? I can never remember if it's damage or resistance that stacks.

It's crazy that Tidus's armor is considered just a regular unique SB instead of a SSB. Multiple hits and removing the delay on the next two actions? Compare that to my first ever SB, Yuna's The Sending, which is just one single Holy hit. These two definitely aren't on the same level. The power creep is real.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
According to KBP, there seems to only be one more Mote dungeon listed - am I missing something? Or do we just have to wait for JP to start adding more of them? If the upcoming one is the last one, then we're gonna need more options for getting 4* motes.

Also, in the Record Dive section, there are a lot of classes referenced that we don't have yet. (Illusionist, Sage, Warmage, Paladin, etc) Are they going to be adding more Core classes to the DUs?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
... I think my account is broken (in a good way). My dollar pull today got me Rosa's Artemis Bow, and I wound up taking stock of my SBs thanks to that.

I now have the Magic Blink Medica for Selphie, Ovelia, AND Rosa. Is... is that all of them?

In addition to that, I have Medica SBs for Minwu, Lenna, Aeris, Yuna, Relm, Yuffie, Vanille, and Penelo.

I also have native Shout and both Walls.

I started playing the game less than a year ago, and I've only ever spent money on dollar draws, and I only started doing that about 6 months ago.

The flip side to all of that is that I still don't have ANY worthwhile black magic SBs (but I haven't really needed them so far.)

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
The BSB draw got me BSBs for Rikku and Aeris. I now have 5 of Aeris's 6 total SBs. I'm only missing Dragon Force. It's pretty cool to have so many options, but I'd hate to give up a magic blink medica user to put Aeris on the team.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Am I the only one who has absolutely no desire to do the rematch dungeons?

Ultimate Cagnazzo in particular is a boss that I just am not willing to deal with again. I felt the same way about Rubicante when he came up again in the most recent Nightmare dungeons. Random, instant phase changes that require you to immediately alter your strategy just don't work in a game with ATB gauges and lagtime between inputting attacks and the attacks activating. I don't know how many times I've input an ice attack against Rubicante just to have him throw the cloak up before it activates, causing him to be healed, and then I have to sit there waiting for Shout, SG, and Breakdowns to wear off until he decides to lower the cloak. Both of those bosses should have even the smallest visual trigger that says "The Cloak is coming up/He's about to gather water in a few seconds, so don't waste your attacks."

I guess my complaint boils down to, "I finally have a System in place. Don't make me change it. :colbert: "

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Today I had Balthier's "chance to trigger machinist abilities twice" RM equipped during the Mote dungeon fight, and his BSB commands sometimes triggered twice as well. So apparently his commands count as machinist abilities.

Between Balthier blinding and poisoning, Squall with his BSB Wind command, Selphie with Dreamstage, Ramza with Shout, Tyro with SG, and with special thanks to Grozz and his Luneth RW, Ahriman just melted.

I also managed to get 5 people leveled up to 80 thanks to the Enigma dungeon so far, and am on track for another 5 by the end. Once that's over with and I get through the FF8 event, I GUESS I'll do the rematch dungeons. I just hate that Cagnazzo.

The thing I've noticed with the Ultimate++s is that the rewards haven't been exciting enough for me to actually put any effort into trying them. If a basic setup fails, I generally quit and don't try again. Does anyone else feel that way?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I decided to do an 11-pull on Squall 1, and got 2/11!

... Squall's Jacket and Esthar Bracers. :what:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Which of the Chain -aga spells should I shoot for once Orbfest gears up next week? Is there a consensus on which is the best?

The relevant skills that I own that may sway the decision are:
Edgar's Chainsaw SSB with Imperil Poison,
Terra's Circlet SSB with EnFire,
and Laguna's Vega SSB with Imperil Ice.

And is there anything else that I'm forgetting that should factor into the decision?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I was going to skip this Buff Banner, since I already have Shout, SG, Thyrus, and another 5 items from this banner, but Half-Price plus Always-Be-Pulling overrode my judgement and I had to do it.

4/11.

Deneb Duellers. :geno:
Guardian Targe. :what:
Kefka's Cloak. :ohdear:

... Onion Gauntlets. :aaaaa:

I think I won.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
After getting a bunch of roulette chip drops last night, I still haven't seen any yet today. Come on FFRK, papa needs his medicine!

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
After complaining about not seeing any chips all morning, I just had a round with 3 sets of Gold Knights in a row. 7200 chips from 20 stamina. :homebrew:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I threw 100 mithril at this one because I had eyes on the OSB, Maria BSB, Agrias BSB, and Celes SSB. I already have Hamelin and Ovelia's Staff.

I got the Vaan OSB (woooo), and three Ogrekillers...

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Things were so much simpler when a crazy clown wanted to destroy the world.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Trying to work around some of this event's Sin bosses that start at long range has me thinking: Why haven't we seen a RM that makes that character's attacks Long Range? It's a gimmick that comes up often enough for it to be useful, and FFVII had a materia that did just that, so it's not even unprecedented.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I got Jupiter's Staff for Shantotto and a second copy of Vaan's OSB. I've never even used Shantotto before.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I am desperate for eggs. Are there any events/ways to easily grab eggs other than just waiting (a few more hours) for the Sunday dungeon? At this rate I'm kind of thinking I might just use all my stamina over the next day purely on the XP dungeon instead of grinding mythril out of the Realm Dungeons. In addition to needing to drag my FF8 crew up to 65, I still haven't got Tyro/Cloud up there for their soul break RMs.

You can buy Growth Eggs from the Gyshal Exchange, but I think most people would agree that's not a great use of Greens. ( 500 for a 3* Egg and 1500 for a 4*). Other than that I think the only other way is to trade Hero Souls and Blank MCs for them, and I'm guessing you need those.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

CaptainPsyko posted:

In other news, MVP email went out with some more anniversary news. The big thing is:

:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:ORBFEST IS MARCH 15th:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:

Also more mythril and some dungeon stuff. Presumably banners about a week after, of JP precedent holds, which puts it in line with the FF2 banner.

But mostly: ORBFEST.

Oh man, this is great - though I still haven't even finished leveling everyone that I started during the LAST Orbfest.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So the Realm Dungeons will be switching to half price in the next day or so, right? So those of us who haven't finished all of the Realm Dungeons can play catch up.

But Orbfest is ALSO starting tomorrow?

And they end at the same time?

:negative:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I already have 11 of the Medicas on that list, so there's really no reason to pull on it.

But... but... but... never not pull. :shepspends:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Nihilarian posted:

there are 19 medicas on that list. You have more than half of them. What do you even need from the banner?

Well, I don't have a medica for FFI, III, or XIV. I likely won't ACTUALLY pull on this, but the temptation is there.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

U-DO Burger posted:

You're gonna go 11/11, all separate dupes

I'd consider that worth the 25 mithryl, just for the screenshot.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I really wanted to pull on FFII banner 2 because I really want to get my hands on the Maria OSB or BSB, but when I have 3 dupes from it, and three copies of two of those, I'm not willing to risk it.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just won myself an Iga Blade for Ramza today!

Now, I already have Shout, so how do I operate Ramza now that I also have his burst?

Do I move him off of the Support Role and have him alternate between his Burst and Shouting? Do I ignore his Burst entirely and keep shouting and breakdown-ing? What's the most effective play?

Unrelated: Why would they put a bonus XP dungeon in the FFVI event during Orbfest? It seems like a waste.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

iPodschun posted:

This event didn't line up with JP's fest so that's why the EXP dungeon feels out of place

Got it, thanks!

So JP is a 'different game' when that excuse helps the Devs get out of doing extra work. But it's the same game when making it different would require some extra effort. I see now.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I had allotted 2 pulls on Banner 1, with a possible third rage-pull if I got duds.

Sephiroth's OSB.
2x Onion Armor OSB.
Red Jacket.
Arc Robe.
Maria BSB.

:stare::fh:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just crushed the FFVI CM, and I was amazed at how easy of a time I had doing it.

Instead of a Raines RW, I used a TG Cid BSB RW and had Sabin use it after boosting his attack with Meteor Crush. He also had Phantom Rush and Razor Gale available, but I didn't even need to use them. The heal on TG Cid command 2 allowed him to survive whatever Terra threw at us, even after my healer went down to the scripted 3000 damage attack.

I had Setzer running support with FB, Magic Breakdown, and Prismatic Flash, and had Relm healing with Portrait of Lakshmi as my Medica. I also had Brush Up, but since Sabin was already hitting for 9999x2, I didn't need the extra Crit.

Then Kefka and Terra were using dark magic, a level 99 Terra with Darkra and Blood of Espers RM was able to keep up with damage just as well as Kefka with MM/Dark Zone.

I had built the team intending to use a Raines RW, but I saw the Cid one right away and figured I'd try it with that first.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
What I did with the Anniversary Banners was this: I made a list of all 10 items on each banner and gave them a score. 3 points if it was a Top Prize that I really wanted, 2 points if it would be helpful but not game-changing, 1 point if I didn't care about pulling it or not (ie: only useful for the +10 stats), and -1 point if it was a dupe. Therefore, each of the 5 banners had a score between 30 and -10. I had enough mythril to allocate 7 pulls across these 5 banners, so I decided to pull once on each, since the lowest scoring banner for me was still a 13, then the top two scoring banners (1 and 3 with a score of 19 each, including no dupes on either) got 2 pulls each. I reassessed the score after the first pull to see if it dropped low enough to forget the second pull.

I prepared for my 2 pulls on Banner 3, hoping for Raines BSB like everyone else.

Results:
Sabin's Armlet
Howling Soul
2x Magical Brush
Fire Lash
Apocalypse
Gilgamesh's Naginata

I'm happy with all of them except for Noel's, which was the only 1-point item that I got. A pretty amazing set of pulls.

I'm keeping track of everything I pulled during this fest going back to the 3 lucky draws. Even if I get nothing but dupes on Banners 4 and 5, this will already be the most successful few weeks since I started playing this game. I have so much going on that I don't know what to do with it all!

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Now that Orbfest is over, it's safe to say that this was by far the most lucrative event in this game's history for me.

This is my haul from the whole event, including the 3 Lucky Draws, the free pull on the Player's Choice Banner, and a total of 7 pulls across the 5 Fest Banners (2, 1, 2, 1, 1). 425 Mythril in total spent.

Seraphim's Mace (IV)
Physician's Staff (XIII) - Dupe
Healing Staff (II) - Dupe
2x Shinra Bombshell (VII)
Masamune (V) - Dupe
2x Quistis's Dress (VII)
Iga Blade (T)
Onion Gauntlets (III) - Dupe
Judgement (VIII)
2x Onion Armor (III)
White Mage Robe (III)
Chirijiraden (VII)
Rune-Graven Bow (II)
Red Jacket (IV)
Tactician Magician's Cuffs (XI)
Holy Shield (XIV)
Crystal Glove (VIII)
Apocalypse (V)
Gilgamesh's Naginata (V)
2x Magical Brush (VI)
Sabin's Armlet (VI)
Howling Soul (XIII)
Fire Lash (V)
Genji Gloves (T)
hamelin (IX) - Dupe
Dagger of Resolve (IX) - Dupe
Gungnir (III)
The Blitz (X)
Omnirod (XIV)

:vince:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Welp, I figured I would be able to make a lot of progress on the Realm dungeons and get a bunch more stamina, but alas, that was not to be. At least I got the Special Missions done yesterday.

I was able to re-score each of the 5 Banners according to the system I built and determined that Banner 4 was my best choice to pull on again. 1/11, I got Agrias's OSB from it! :bubblewoop:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

LornMarkus posted:

I forget who coined it but another poster proposed a banner scoring system: +3 points for each Relic that will completely transform your play, +2 for a good relic that you want, +1 for a relic that exists but you don't really care about getting, -1 for a relic that's a Dupe.

Score appropriately. It's was mostly meant to be used to figure out which of the Anniversary Banners to pull on rather than a generalized system but you could probably use it all the same.

That was me! :) I'm glad people are getting some use out of it.

The idea is that the maximum possible score of a banner would be 3 x (total number of prizes), and if your score is farther away from that number than you're comfortable with, you probably shouldn't pull. The threshhold is at your own discretion, but I draw the line if my score is roughly half of the maximum.

I also realized that there should be a score worse that the -1 for a dupe. If you have multiple copies of something already (or a combined ++) where another one would be COMPLETELY useless, I now assign a -3 to an item in that situation.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Now that the new dailies are coming soon, I'm working on putting together a shopping list for 5* abilities to work towards.

I've already taken care of leveling Full Break, Full Charge, the Monk, Knight, Dancer, and Sharpshooter 5*s, and I'm working on the Chain 'gas, Powerchain, and the Spellblades.

Which 5* "class" abilities worth honing to R2 or 3? I've included the BSBs I own in case that changes priorities.

- Dragoon Abilities like Dragoon Jump, Lightning Dive, and Sky Grinder (I have Luneth and Freya's BSBs)
- Machinist Abilities like Bio Grenade and Rapid Fire (I have Reno and Balthier's BSBs)
- Ninja Abilities like Doppelblade, Raging Storm, and Smoldering Fire (I have no Ninja BSBs other than OKs)
- Thief Abilities like Dash and Slash and Poison Leaves (I have Rikku's BSB and Vaan's OSB, TR is already at R3)
- Darkness Abilities like Reaping Scythe, Sanguine Cross, Morbid Countdown, and Dire Heal (I have Sephiroth, Jecht, and Kuja's BSBs, Dark Zone is already at R3)
- Summon Abilities like Titan, Omega Weapon, and Tiamat (Bahamut is already at R3)

There are just so many abilities now, and I have no concept of which ones are worth using anymore.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So since Ultros has mastery conditions that require you to hit him with a fire and a lightning attack, what happens if you use Shantotto's BSB on him?

Would you get both mastery conditions, or would it only count as one of the two elements? If so, which one? And would it trigger his counter that he does when he gets hit with fire?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Cador_2004 posted:

First off it counts for both, and secondly due to her BSB providing Shantotto with En-lightning it should register as lightning over fire.

Oh cool, that makes sense. I completely forgot about the Enlightning, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Since I have both Chant and Shout (and Ramza's BSB), what's the most optimal play? I've mostly just been sticking with Shout and ignoring the others, should that change once Cloud USB happens?

• Locked thread