Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got Auron's Bushido BSB. Nothing fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is it just jumpstart battles and some raids that have 4-star motes?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

All D160/200 MP battles can give 4* motes.

As in: raids, or does MP mean something other than multiplayer?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's also OSB, Overstrike Soul Break. They do one hit that breaks the quad-9 damage cap, usually with some boost. Vary in desirability compared to BSB, depending on what the particular ones give in addition to damage/synergies and whether you need damage right now or sustained.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On my wishlist: I wish you could queue up abilities during an attack cutscene. The number of times I've gone to poke a button only to have it disappear because Iris wants to throw some moogles around...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pulled Sephiroth's Ultra. I guess that'll be handy if I ever need to deal with dark-vuln enemies. And it's Empowered Darkness, which I don't have anything else to take advantage of but is probably exploitable with the right stuff. I kinda go cross-eyed trying to account for the math, I'm still in the "hit it very hard" stage of things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any weird battle speed interactions to be worried about for ATB bars or buff durations? Like FF9 for example where the timers continued during animations so at max speed buffs would fall off as soon as they were applied and enemies would attack after each of your attacks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scylla down, my first Jumpstart battle. I underestimated how much buffs can build on each other, thought I'd need some full dark-oriented team to make Sephiroth work and such.
Ovelia's magic blink really cut down his damage, then RW Rikku and Red 13 to buff, by his third LB he was doing 4.5k*15. Add in Faris doing Pirate Princess, Bartz with his Ultra and wind BSB to capitalize on that, and Faris/Red using a smorgasbord of debuffs when they weren't busy, and he became a lot less formidable. What had been 6K magic attacks were hitting for 2K which them got healed when I refreshed the evade.

I think I got overwhelmed looking at the theorycraft posts for magicite and such, where people have had whole teams based around force-multiplying one unit/vulnerability and I don't have the tools to do that yet. Turns out doing a few less multipliers on two units works fine too for the stuff on my hitlist, particularly in a JS battle where I'm fully charged to unleash hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did my first MP 220 with some friends. Bartz/Y'shtola/Y'shtola/Aeris/Cloud/Faris/Beatrix/Red XIII. That omniresist for the second phase was rather frustrating, but we just slowly whittled our way through him with big defensive buffs/heals. Now I just need one of those to cycle around with dex motes, they're my 4-star bottleneck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oh well, it is now combined and is my most powerful weapon which is nice since I tend to run Rikku a lot and run Zell and Tifa situationally

My 7-star weapons are Gladio's OSB sword, and... Red XIII's Ultra hairpin. That only he and Tyro can use.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Armitage posted:

Hey guys, is there any reason why I would be losing a lot of followers despite the Rikku USB I have as my RW? I somehow I can’t stay at 100 followers and I don’t remove anyone unless I feel like removing inactives.

Does it actually matter?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've got a lot of Orlandeau RWs but now that I've got guys who can bring the massive damage on their own that's not as much of a priority.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is Shelke's multi-attack in her JS battle coded not to kill guys or did I just get dang lucky on my win? Had three times where someone got down to a sliver of life while the recovery spell was about to be cast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Get up to 94 guys killed, going strong on tools still available and the game crashes. Go back in and it starts at the beginning of the fight.
You gotta be loving kidding me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Adel posted:

So how do you get the other 34 Soldiers from the Shinra event :downsrim:

Random drop from the fight, slightly less common than record materia.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How does Spellblade Master record materia combine with doublecast legend materia? Each rolls independantly for triple-cast chance?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, I got my next milestone down, the 200-level torment. Barely limped to victory, and I hadn't expected those starting waves (those mooks hit pretty hard). Also doesn't help that at the end when Bartz doublecasted Storm Strike and then procced a barrage afterwards Bahamut would counter-curaja three times. I came out ahead in damage on that, but not as much as I'd have liked.

Anyway, dragoon motes are just used for Sky High and not anything obscure, right? The only "dragoons" I have relics for are Noctis (hence the quotation marks, he's got better things to do) and Aranea (lightning-based) and I'm not sure whether to full-dive one (Aranea almost certainly), craft Sky High on both for two copies or shattering for orbs, or just sit on them in case I get a wind dragoon later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mithross posted:

All "job" motes are just for unlocking access to and making copies of the one six star ability for that job

Thanks. I like the game hiding some things until you hit certain thresholds or unlock relics with them, helps keep the game from being overwhelming at the start, but it does leave a bit of an "am I missing something" taste.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Attestant posted:

But I wouldn't shatter copies for the heck of it either, considering how absurdly limited the class 6* motes are as a resource. Just sit on them for now, they don't take up any space.

That's the way I was leaning (I'm a hoarder after all) just wanted to check. I don't even use Aranea anyway. Got a lot of nice relics for her should I ever need a lightning dragoon, but my "standard" party is full.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just give it a month! :v:

What happens in a month?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Nothing specifically but that's about as long as it took me to not really have an A-team after having just created an A-team.

The more relics you draw the more you shuffle groups around!

Oh definitely. Getting Red XIII's Ultra already started that for me, I just can't see a reason to bring Aranea in as a new dps unless I specifically need lightning or dragoon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tellah BSB, Kain BSB, and Edward SSB. Always good to have another caster for some of these nightmare things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just give me the ability to sort by element in my loving vault, thanks

Yeah, "I'll stick all these resist accessories in the vault until I need em" isn't as handy when I don't recognize them by sight and they're deposited all willy-nilly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Grr, JSB Rubicante keeps throwing his cape up at the worst possible times. Is there any timing to it or just random?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

5* Witch is fun for the Ultima Nightmare boss. It's got that going for it at least.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shoenin posted:

What was the way you were supposed to get 4* motes again?

Half the raid battles (they alternate 3* and 4*, both each week), and jumpstart battles.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'll be pulling because I have no impulse control even on bad banners.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My God, that music for the Kefka level of the concert. Swinging Mad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, that was kinda stupid good. Pulled Tidus's USB so I egged him to 80. With shout and Red's howl, Cloud's USB got him doing massive damage to Rubicante. Sapphire Shot for 25k per hit, then another 25k from the proc. A second Day To Remember did 110k damage.

Poor Flamebro never even knew what hit him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there any solid rule of thumb for when +element is preferable to raw stat points on a weapon?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, why didn't I realize earlier I picked up Tyro's wall at some point? That made Yojimbo a lot more manageable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looking at multiplayer raids I've seen people posting "have L/S" or "no wall, rely on L/S.". What does it mean in that context? Lifesiphon doesn't make sense, nor load/save since it dumps the raid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

The Sharpshooter 5* skills have gotten even stronger and are actually better than the equivalent 5* Spellblade skills in all circumstances where you don't explicitly need a Spellblade skill (mostly Record/Legend Dives and USB effects).

Yeah, Bartz was the dps I was investing in until I pulled a Tidus USB and my jaw just dropped at how much he outclassed the guy. Still, it means I have two good DPS now, Bartz has more variety, and he's no slacker all the same.

I like the change because it makes me feel less obligated to use Cloud's USB. It's still a huge damage buff, but when I'm not capping my attacks anyway I'm just missing out on the crits rather than any potential overflow on top of that, so I can slot in a Shout or whatever if I feel it fits the situation (easy hastega for example).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

First pull, 5/11:
Marche's USB
Ramza's BSB (that's just Shout++ right?)
Meliadoul's BSB
Ramza's LMR
Marche's SSB

I'm gonna go get a lottery ticket, though it's a shame knight abilities weren't buffed in that ability rework, I already tend to hit quad-nines or close to it with Beatrix so if Marche is the same that enholy won't boost much. What's the next banner we're supposed to look forward to? I don't think I'll be spending any more mythril on this one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I must not pull. Pulling is the luck-killer. Pulling is the little death that brings total rage-whaling. I shall face my temptation, I will permit it to pass over me and through me, and when it has gone I shall turn the inner statistician to see its path. Where the temptation has gone there will be nothing, only my current relics will remain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah welcome chainsaw physical teams. It's pretty hilarious how fast things melt when your whole front row has Thunder God Mode even for just 15 seconds.

Yeah, I tried it out on speed 1 and had to double-check the game speed afterwards. It's blazing fast. Does it stack with Haste?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, I have no idea when I wanna burn these potions. On the one hand they're limited items so I wanna hoard em, on the other hand now that I'm up to 140 there's no really stamina-hungry stuff since that big retro dungeonfest ended. And the weekly refills are very cheap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: just one more pull, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Four more nightmares to go. Omega Drive, Vilgarmanda, Neo Bahamut and Curada. Curada looks like it'd be fun with a timer display and maddening as-is.

• Locked thread