Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

NaanViolence posted:

It's not a bad idea if it's going to significantly enhance your power level. Last week I couldn't defeat two of the dooms so I dropped five mythril on the Sundaily and leveled my A-team, acquiring Mako Might and Battleforged in the process.

I wrecked those two dooms as a direct result.

I'll second this. It's probably not worth it if you already have a solid team at or near the cap or if an item is coming up on a banner which you really want, but it's otherwise a good idea to get your team up to a point where it can start doing at least some of the later stuff.The more bosses you can kill in each event, the more major orbs you can get, which in turn makes it much easier to make 5-stars and hone 4-stars which in turn makes it way easier to get any memory crystals, accessories, record sphere motes, and new skills they hand out.Being able to take on Nightmare dungeons especially helps with this since they hand out plenty of major orbs for mastering them.

It's basically a cascade effect where the rate at which your overall power level grows accelerates for a long time because being able to take on more content grants you access to more loot and a wider variety of loot. Getting good gear is definitely important, especially since some characters come up far less often than others, but being overly cautious about spending at least a little bit of mythril on other things can lead to missing out on plenty of motes, lodes, accessories, orbs, and ability handouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Attestant posted:

I think there's a fair bit of RNG with Diamond Weapon. If he just spams magic at you, you're probably going to be fine, especially with fire resist items. But if you get stomped on repeatedly, you're in a world of pain.

I'm starting to think that it's not worth it to bring mages to this fight since I had a mostly physical party (Bartz/Cait Sith/Tifa/Minwu/Ramza) and it went way more smoothly for me than the Dragon Zombie fight. As far as I can tell, every single one of his magic attacks ignores Resistance so magic characters are going to be getting hit just as hard by them as everyone else and Shellga won't help in the slightest. The core closing isn't actually all that bad since all it takes is everyone except your healer attacking twice to make it open back up and it only happens twice during the whole fight.

He really likes to spam AoE's so I think the most important thing during this fight is to debuff him down as hard and fast as you can. Cait Sith really is probably the star of the show here if you have his Yellow Megaphone since Toy Soldier + Multibreak is a potent combo and, since you don't need to worry about Shellga, you can put Diaga in his remaining slot to have him hit like a truck with holy damage. Toy Soldier + Multibreak + Steal Power + Protectga + Wall (RW) meant that I was actually happy whenever he would use his party Stomp because the damage would be trivial enough (about 250 or so if I remember right) that I could basically treat it as a free turn. Diamond Weapon doesn't have much health, only about 3k more than the Dragon Zombie and you don't need to keep reapplying debuffs between phases like in that fight, so I think it's fine to sacrifice some damage for the sake of debuffs.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If I can barely squeak by in regular Ultimate fights, should I even attempt any of the Nightmare dungeon stuff? Pretty tempted by all the major orbs and neat accessories, but that's a lot of stamina to spend if I'm just gonna get stomped.

You could probably at least take the first fight in each Nightmare dungeon, which is fine if you really need orbs since the harder fights replace some of the orbs with crystals anyway. Looking for bosses with easy gimmicks and/or ones which you have a lot of synergy for between your party and your gear can also go a long way. Nightmare dungeons are great for stocking up on just about any type of orb you might need if you haven't done any of them yet, so it's definitely worth attempting.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for killing the 3 pigs ultimate? I tried a summon team, and was hitting maybe 3k per cast (I didn't have sheepsong though, maybe that's what I need). I tried a shout+spellblade team and couldnt burn them down fast enough. I can normally take on ultimate+ no problem, so this is a bit of a puzzle.

Bartz doesn't have synergy there, but he's still nice to have if you have his BSB since he is capable of hitting the weaknesses of two out of the three bosses with that alone. It's definitely the fight which gave me the most trouble of the lot (even Omega ended up not being as much of a pain), but in general I would recommend focusing on using single-target attacks to hit their weaknesses. The time you have to deal with the remaining two after you kill one of them is far more generous than in the Gargoyles fight, so you should be fine in that regard as long as you spread around your damage fairly evenly. Other than that, I would recommend bringing a dancer to the fight since being able to debuff all of them at once can help a lot.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

McDragon posted:

That tortoise was a fucker. Decided to forgo trying for mastery and threw Dismissal out the second try. I think I'm just going to ignore delay conditions from now on. It's just worthless and never helps. Still managed to master Lightning doing that, but not the shell bastard.

Will try that mech tomorrow, probably a good chance to take Kain's Burst for a spin but I can't be arsed right now.

That mech fight took me a few tries until I realized that Retaliate completely breaks it. Retaliate works on all of its physical attacks and all of its magic attacks deal damage based on your current health, so I don't think it is capable of taking a character down to below 1 HP as long as you keep Retaliate up.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

This Warmech U++ is ridiculously unfair bullshit. Full Break, Power Breakdown, and Arc's physical blink SB apparently isn't enough. :mad:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you're not going for mastery and don't mind the fight taking quite a while then the only skill you actually need as far as I am aware is Retaliate (or preferably a soul break which grants Retaliate). All of its physical attacks can be dodge countered and I'm fairly certain that all of its magic attacks are based on your current health and cannot kill you on their own. The other four members of your party will still need to fend for themselves, but it seems like a Retaliate character is effectively immortal. Bringing along a RW with Y'shtola's BSB also ended up helping me out a lot in this particular fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This ..can't be true. Those AoE's at the end we're definitely physical. Or am I crazy?

I just double checked the recording I made of my attempt and it looks like I was wrong about Ultimate Antimatter Bomb as it's both physical and unavoidable after all (not entirely sure how I missed that since it's even what ended up killing Ramza near the end). On the plus side, both his standard area attack and the single-target Plasma Beam are definitely possible to counter and it seems like Taunt attracts the Plasma Beam, which can otherwise hurt quite a lot.

• Locked thread