Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

I don't think I'd bother to continue playing if s/l wasn't a thing. Huge stamina costs on fights that can go south instantly? Nah.

The 1 stam fights seem like a nod towards that particular issue but... yeah.

Jenova can be a pain but the ones I hate even more are the various Bahamut/other dragons that open up the fight by every time hitting your party with a powerful AOE on tick 1. Especially if they're one of the 1 Stage fights so you can't even get mitigation up before it.

Edit: Mmm, that might be the death knell for my Global account. Had a nice bit of Mythril built up so I decided to finally pull on Keeper's Choice 2, got a 1/11 for an off-banner Robe with a shared that inflicts Sleep. Kinda feel like that might be a sign.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

So far on DeNA end I've had a handful of customer reps, each a bit less scripted and robotic than the last one. But they still claim 100% that they are unable to refund anything, and that Google needs to be contacted.

Google vias email is useless, no matter what contacted them with, I get the same canned response every time. "Outside of our refund policy." bluh bluh. The call to their local offices wasn't much more helpful, with them assuring that there's nothing I can't do, because I didn't request the refund fast enough initially. (edit) And also that it's DeNA that should do the refund, not them.

And yeah, I've been completely nice and polite to everyone. I feel like I should have started lying about a kid making the purchase or whatever from the start. :(

Basically DeNA and Google are pointing at each other, and saying that policies mean they cannot do anything.

(edit2) Found an email contact for local Google offices I hadn't been in contact with yet. Time to try my luck there...

I'd keep trying and definitely remember that you do have the option of Chargeback but just to make sure you know what you're getting into I'll say this: there's a pretty decent chance if you do Chargeback on this that your account may be banned for fraud, or at the very least locked out from spending any money in the future. Not saying you shouldn't do it, because that is a lot of money, but do be aware that getting it back might lose you your mobile game accounts.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp time to pray for me because I'm gonna start throwing myself at JP Kaiser Dragon. Helps that I can field a full team of mages with breaks (Terra OSB, RInoa BSB, Alphinaud BSB and SSB, Maria BSB and Y'shtola BSB for healing), but I still get the feeling I'm going to hate everything for awhile. Nice that it is just 1 Stam like the U+ and such though. I assume though that I probably don't want to drag anyone at less than 80 into it?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well it was damned close but I completed the U++ JP side, and even eked out the Mastery thanks to Terra's Blaze. :toot:

Now to eagerly await that World of Final Fantasy banner and see what kind of goodies it holds. If it's good enough I should be able to pull together 150 Mythril to dump on it, especially since the Locke and Celes banners didn't really impress me.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh not having a mage team makes so many of these Ultimate fights so frustrating and basically impossible :/

Lamia Queen with a physical team doesn't even seem doable, especially since she keeps charming my healer and putting people to sleep / confusing them right before SBs go off and stuff. I don't mind that the game requires different strategies, but these "have a bunch of good mages leveled up with skills honed or lol" checks are kinda annoying, because it doesn't really seem like the reverse happens very much. I haven't been playing for long at all, but I can't recall any fights where if you had a mage team you just couldn't really win.

With my XP coming from pretty much only Sundailies and not having enough orbs to create / hone good mage spells, it feels like I'm going to keep getting stuffed on certain events for quite a while still. I've got like 8 physical BSBs now and not a single mage one, and all of my mage characters are sitting around level 45-50 because there's no reason to ever use them for anything other than XP farming right now.

It's not impossible, but I don't recommend it if you have the option otherwise. Granted it would have been easier if I'd brought a Shout RW instead of Selphie's Burst but I wasn't to make sure I could dispel her reliably early on. All the same I mostly won because I have Unsung Hero for Ramza, which pretty reliably took out her Blink buff. After that it was mostly a matter of smacking anyone that got confused.

Now to see how hard I spank the Black Knights with Knight Protector, Unsung Hero and Dagger of Resolve. :getin:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, unless you're really short on gil there's no downside to converting orbs. 1 major = 10 greater = 100 regular = 10 greater = 1 major - there's no orbs lost from converting, so it's better to turn the orbs into what you need now rather than missing out on rewards while you save for abilities you can't afford.

Oh yeah, much as I was pleased to finally makes a Saint's Cross, I can't help but notice that I get way more overall damage out of a Lifesiphon R5 or a 4* Spellblade R4. They're still useful and aspirational but getting one that you won't be able to hone for several months afterwards won't actually make much difference.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Halloween stuff sent to whales:

Hopefully this includes the FF5 Dress Records that Global missed.

Hopefully, cause I'd really like to have Lenna's Freelancer outfit rather than that generic white mage robe. Either way, pretty nifty stuff.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

25 Mythril for . . . Wakka's Attack Reels.

Welp, it was nice being able to read Record Keeper but gently caress this. Guess now I'll need to look up getting a JP mobage account going so I can actually get it on my phone.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And JP side apparently wants to prove to me I made the right choice with a 3/11 on the Lucky Debuff, looks like . . . Hyper Snipe for Irvine, Chaincast Magic Barrage for Palom and Pirate's Knives Leila. Not characters I intended to use but all realms I didn't really have a lot of synergy for so I'm pretty happy. If nothing else Hyper Snipe looks to be a Debuff to literally everything so that's pretty cool.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And Yuna's Chaos Rod pops out of the WoFF banner JP side. Not really impressive but it's another medica option I didn't have. Gotta say though, that itch to pull more when you get a 1/11 and still have Mythril to burn is pretty impressive. Gotta try real hard to remind myself I don't actually need anything the banner is offering, so probably just better to wait for future banners. We'll see though, maybe I'll say gently caress it and do it anyways if I drum up a replacement 50 before it's gone.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 28, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yuna's SSB2 is the best SSB medica by a very long shot and is better than quite a few healer BSBs.

Yup, I figured, I'm just a little spoiled because I pulled Y'shtola's BSB very first thing, so she's basically never left my party. :blush:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Wow, that Behemoth Ultimate in the WoFF event is some seriously annoying bullshit. I actually had the fucker dead to rights and probably had a mastery one of the times but then he switched to his Meteor counter-stance and one of my regular attacks went off before my uncounterable SBs, resulting in a meteor that wiped all but one of my party. :argh:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Update: Behemoth down, and I'm glad my brainwave regarding Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics paid off. I almost got hosed by him switching to Counter stance again after I'd queued the killing blows but thanks to the damage reflection barrier his first Meteor did enough damage to him that my next attack killed him.

Odin's pretty much just a chump, bring a long a Wall and you're golden. At most maybe his blind spell gets a little annoying when you're not rolling Celes with Indomitable Blade to Runic it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ETB posted:

HP makes a huge difference, so it sounds like it's a combination of levels and mitigation through Power/Magic Breakdowns and Protectga/Shellga.

Events are your friend early on, even if you will have to wait around for them. They're designed to pour Experience Eggs on you compared to most content. Dump those on your character with the strongest soul break and you'll start making more and more progress.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Viking_Helmet posted:

Yea I actually did get both the sentinel grimoire and (2) platinum sword(s) on my, uh, first draw. Pretty sure I used up all my luck ever with that.

My problem with the tougher content right now isn't the boss, generally, since by the time I make it to the boss I have soul breaks available. I tend to die to the trash mobs leading up to the boss, when I haven't had time to charge soul breaks and everyone dies in 2 hits from anything.

The quickest answer I can give you is this: turn on Elite classic dungeons and grab any of them that have 61 Stamina cost. Those are pretty much always going to be two trash waves and then the boss wave. Now take a Shout RW along, blow that for the two trash waves and then use your own Shout for the last line of it. Boom, you're basically through all of those with little to no effort. That'll have you rolling in Greater Orbs and/or Major Orbs depending on the particular mission and you can actually break those Majors down into 10 Greaters each to quicker get to Protectga and Shellga. You can use the same trick to plow through all the levels of the Daily Dungeons, which will also net you a poo poo ton of orbs.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you might be able to get a huge infusion of orbs from the World of Final Fantasy event whenever it drops, but I can't vouch for how truly easy it was as my JP team is crazy strong. But it's a turn-in event so potentially you can just run lower levels over and over to buy particular orbs even if you can't complete it all

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 31, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

acumen posted:

I brought my fully physical a-team without reading the tips and not realizing that the little things were immune to all elemental damage. The only abilities I had that actually damaged the boss were breakdowns and saint's cross hitting for 4k total. Still brute forced my way through. Mage teams are overrated.

Yeah, not to belittle the people having issues but it is doable. I went in with Beatrix with her BSB, which wasn't that great since the Azer's start out immune to Holy Damage, Yuffie with Swift Bolt (useful but not game changing), Garnet with Divine Guardian and Dagger of Resolve, Ramza with Tailwind and Gordan with Pride of Kashua. Only synergy I had was a Basch sword on Ramza. It was mostly a matter of carefully but liberally applying Tailwind and restarting a bunch of times when too much damage inconveniently landed on a character all at once.

Also, I'mma need a poo poo ton of Greens so I don't suppose anyone knows a better way to pile them up than just running the 90 Stam over and over and hoping for drops? Is there a better overall rate at one of the lower mission ranks or something?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I wouldn't chance it and buy them now. The only costumes that were rereleased so far are Gunner Yuna from the last YRP event and Cloudy Wolf that'll be coming with the Tifa AC event. Not to mention it'd be kind of a dick move to put them up for sale now and give them for free later.

Also Garnet's Short-Hair look just recently popped up in the Rose of May event.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well that Lightning is melting the Azers but now as soon as they're dead he casts short fuse and starts chain casting Blizzaja lol. How in the hell am I supposed to heal through this, there's no goddamn way.

Like literally the moment the Azers died he went Deep Freeze into double Blizzaja, which is something like 6k total AoE damage through Shell. I don't understand.

It's an automatic action as part of the phase switch for doing enough damage to Mateus, you'll need to hold off on blowing that until you've got mitigation up and health totals high enough to survive it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Decided to throw one 11-pull at the Girl Power banner for another shot at Maria's Song.

Got a Danjuro. :smith:

And the Artemis Bow (IV) so it wasn't a total loss. :shobon:

I too would like a shot at Maria's Song, unfortunately the Mythril I would have used to do it isn't coming to me until after the event is over. :argh:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Wait, hold the phone, Kuja's burst actually has built-in extra Synergy with Momento Mori? Well poo poo, guess I know where all those eggs are going.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The XIII series is weird because the games only get more solid gameplay wise as you get further in while the story just kind of ignites into a horrific fire as you go.

Also while Noel's skillset is kind of wonky his relics are all very solid, his BSB in particular is a great mitigation tool to have on a non-support. Serah is kind of just a stock standard black mage though sadly. Even her BSB is just a basic damage + EnSpell thing. Her second SSB is really good at least, offering MAG/MND +30% and Hastega for some delicious mage meta buff stacking.

Yeah, I tried to read a plot synopsis of XIII-2's story the other day and hoo boy is that ever some convoluted, stupid bullshit. Though it doesn't help that any time I think about XIII-2 I remember reading that interview with the devs where they assured the interviewer that, though Serah was using a sword in that scene they just showed, she'd soon enough get a weapon that would preserve her femininity. :cripes:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

Blue Magic, and the characters that were clearly left terrible because they might get the skill school eventually. For example: Quistis, Kimahri, Quina, and also all of their weapons that have +Mag regardless of their actual casting abilities. It's seems like they've been future proofing them for blue magic from the start.

I look forward to crafting specific "container" spheres and having to go get that character hit by them in order to learn it. Also probably having to get hit by it multiple times to actually apply the hones, or some poo poo.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

You know, I was more hoping for Shield Grimoire out of that JP Keeper's choice, but I'll accept a pair of Sheep Song whips instead. And now that I realized how useful Kuja's Burst is, I'll suppose I'll grab his Gloves for good measure. I think after some EXP Eggs I'm going to be doing horrific things to the Kaiser Dragon. :getin:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

So . . . am I the only one showing Monday's Daily Up now and still no 25 Mythril?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

I'm most confused as to why Shantotto isn't on the size list.

Because she'll blow your face off with magic and laugh like a queen after doing it.

KataraniSword posted:

Alphinaud's SSB is almost as good as his BSB; the BSB has magic-powerchain and self-ether bursts and an Enwind entry, but the SSB is basically the Maria's Song buff with an attached Radiant Shield (aka "the enemy takes whatever damage they do to you"). Ley Lines is basically Sheepsong with Quickcast instead of High Regen, which means it's broken as hell, too, yeah.

Yeah, I picked up both of Al's JP side and they are crazy useful. Using Deployment Tactics before I ate a Counter Meteor from the Behemoth Ult in the WoFF event and dealing about 20k back to him for it was delightful.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

New level of power creep hitting JP soon - Limit Chain SSBs, which basically seem to be based off of FF11 skill-chaining.

Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Off the cuff the biggest issue I immediately see is that it will probably only chain with other Limit Chain type breaks, meaning you won't be able to really see the mechanic at play until you have a lot of them. At that point they'll likely either disappoint or break the game in two. I'd bet heavily on the former myself. I'm sure they'll be good, but I doubt they'll really be that much better than spamming SSBs or Bursts in the same sort of chain.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Well, in light of...recent events...I may be playing this game less in the coming months as I scramble to find employment and head back to Canada before they get their poo poo together and start stripping me of human rights. :smith: Best of pulls to all of you, and to you Americans who are gender, sexuality, religious, or racial minorities...godspeed.

Good luck to you, truly. I have no loving clue what I'm going to do.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

Important thing is to always do an 11-item pull, since that guarantees at least one 5* relic. Avoid 3-pulls completely, and 1-pulls are only worth it if you spend a dollar on the single discounted pull you can get.

Extra reminder though: after 29 of those you'll have spent exactly as much money as you would for an 11 pull, just spread out over time and likely without picking up a 5*. So it's whichever version of the math you prefer.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtxFmzEt1o&list=PLthPnWFrfb-H7a6qO0tymSO9P2hFMMxQf&index=52

I had not seen Shantotto's BSB until now, and now I desperately need to own it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hogama posted:

Following the XI event in JP, it's

FFT: Introducing Rapha and Marach, or Rafa and Malak if you prefer.
FFXII: A Penelo-focused event.
FFX: More Tidus.

Huh, kind of expected to get Meliadoul before those two, but oh well.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Meliadoul did not surrender, so her fate is to die in obscurity.

In all seriousness, Meliadoul is always forgotten and swept under the rug because by the time you get her, Orlandu exists. It's a drat tragedy.

Yeah, it's part of the reason I actually never really liked Cid. Don't hate him, notably, but I did always feel it was really dumb for him to show up and be a better character than Agrias who you got before him and Meliadoul who you get after. After the first time I did use him I just started stripping the Excalibur off him and tossing him in the bin. Though the other problem that never helped matters was that absurd decision to have characters stop interacting with the story at the exact moment they join your party. I know why they did it, but it's still utterly baffling to me that they didn't try to find a better way that didn't involve Agrias becoming mute a minute after desperately asking you to help her save Ovelia.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

Writing conservation, for FFT, really.

If you have characters interact with plot, you have to make two versions of plot scenes, one where you kicked them out, one where you didn't.

If you don't allow kicking people out, the ultimate issue where you have so many plot characters that you can't keep generics/monsters comes up.

And presumably, the 16 slots were to keep it down to a block on a PSX memory card.

So in summary; Combo of FFT not being the highest Square budget game and PSX limitations, prolly.

(I don't think this excuses the lack of not doing any extra writing in War of the Lions, though, as they did expand to 24 slots IIRC, and did have an optional scene reactive require having Agrias, so they did exactly enough to show they could have made an interesting portmake one way or the other, then didn't bother. [Edit: Heh, then again I guess it is glass half empty, glass half full. At least they did do stuff. Some ports don't do anything.])

Also, nice to see my guess was right-Rafa and Malak being high candidates for RK makes sense, because they desperately need some damned mages in that cast.

Now we just need Olan for a book using Sage, Reis for a Monk, Beowulf as a mixed offense like Vincent or Raines, and Melia as someone they've designed themselves into a corner on because they've already made all the good physical setups for FFT and we're all set!

(Could... could they BS Melia as a Dragoon? She could use spears... :smith:)

Yup, like I said, I know why they did it but it simply wasn't the right decision. And yeah, I still need to actually play War of the Lions, I bought it way back in the day but that slowdown on ability use was basically nails on a chalkboard for me and I barely made it at all into it.

KataraniSword posted:

At least WotL fixes that a little bit; it's only a handful of scenes, but you do get scenes for keeping Agrias and her subordinates in your team.

You also get an utterly loving broken accessory in the Tynar Rouge.

Oh yeah, I did forget about that loving perfume. Seriously, what the Christ were they thinking just dumping him with all that poo poo on you mid-game for doing nothing more than advancing the story? :shepface:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Rangpur posted:

I think the biggest issue holding Melia back is that my reaction to hearing her name was "who the gently caress is Melia,"" and that's coming from someone who adored FFT. (I mean, I realized a couple seconds later you were probably referring to Meliadoul, but still.) I'm still too new to the game to really say what the real issues are, but it's not like there aren't other redundant characters; I'd just give her a limit break that applies all the 'break' conditions and call it a day.

So, speaking of newbie questions I saved up 50 Mythril--do I pull on Keeper's Choice 2 now, or wait for it to go on sale (assuming it's one that actually does go on sale). Is there a recommended freebie item to choose? I was leaning towards one of armor pieces with a full-party healing spell on it since my only other source of group healing is the white mage limit break, and nuts to that.

Banners don't go "on sale." Lucky Banners are their own thing which pop up at a halved cost but they have a huge draw table instead of a specific one where you can predict what you'll get, and in Global still contain Unique soul breaks that are insanely behind the power curve now.

Basically: Banners are whatever price they show up at, period. The only discount ever applied to them is that your first Single pull from them only costs $1 instead of $3, but that's only in actual dollars. It'll still cost 5 mythril regardless.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

You can buy the mobile port where the slowdown is fixed!

They fixed it by basically putting the game in permanent fast forward which is kind of irritating in cutscenes when everyone is running around like they're the Flash. Unless there's some menu option somewhere to slow it down (I only just got to the world map this morning). The control scheme also isn't great but it's functional.

Ah, I'll have to look into that once I have some spare money. Thanks for letting me know.

Also yeah, I'm not going to say this often but I'd be fine with them taking a page from Brave Exvius and doing Bloody Angel Alma. Give her Breaks that involve spamming Ultima and/or summoning up the various Zodiac bosses.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Erm, anyone got some tips for Omega on a physical team? Every single time he blinds my entire party for what is apparently forever, then puts up reflect so I can't stop him without Banishing Strike'ing him, except I can't hit him with it because everyone is blind.

Wish this game was less stingy with accessories resisting stuff like this, I somehow have zero blind resist gear.

Off the cuff, if you RW Garnet's BSB instead of Ashe's I believe her Heal command for that also removes bad status. Not great but it's better than nothing.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

FeralWraith posted:

FFXI event started up in JPN, took a dive on the banner - Shantotto's BSB gloves. They seem okay, but I was really gunning for a Prishe or Lion relic. My only familiarity with Prishe is from Dissidia, but she seemed quite cheerful and...punchy, which I enjoyed. Anyone play(ed) FFXI that could talk about her a little? She seems well regarded along with Shantotto.

It's pretty awesome to look at, if nothing else. I'll be diving in myself once I dig up the extra Mythril necessary for it.

In the meantime, though, finally actually tried the proper Multiplayer since they put out two new dungeons and it does actually seem a lot more fun than I was expecting. I especially like those dumb little stickers, despite my expectations. Should be a lot of fun in Global where I'll actually know what they mean.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And the x11 has been had and results in . . . Lion's BSB and Prishe's SSB.

So a quick-first burst with various debuffs which is definitely nice and a percentage Medica with major Regen and Guts. Pretty sweet all around.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I do kind of wish there was a turn based mode for those fights that really come down to the wire. I do agree that even at 1 speed it's still possible to waste actions. Have you tried bringing KO resist accessories to the fight to at least nullify the gravity?

It'd be fine but any really difficult fight requires/benefits hugely from Hastega which then turns up that timetable. That and the fact that Ultimate bosses tend to be so fast that they will just barely get two actions for every one you take due to the lag of inputting.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Does Halting Rumba have a better chance to proc / enough added utility in other fights to bother crafting it over a second copy of Stop? Stop is way cheaper since it doesn't need any major orbs at all, but I'm not sure if having access to an AoE stop effect is worth the extra investment or not.

For this fight the Primary advantage to it is that Dances are not Magic and thus aren't subject to reflect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ideally, he never gets to cast reflect

That is true, but unless you want to s/l multiples times because he woke up for just a second, cast Reflect on himself and now you've probably hit yourself with Stop it's best to have options. Personally I went full back-up kit: kept Shell up in case he got off an attack and brought Dispel for if he cast Reflect, had Stop and Halting Rumba.

In the end the run that did beat him saw him stay constantly Stopped for the entire fight but it took multiple tries before I got that lucky.

• Locked thread