Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
As someone without* native Shout and with just-started-playing-a-month-ago hones, my suggestion for Esthar Invasion Ultimate is to do what I did; Beat down the two Terminators in wave 1, play very carefully, slowly beat down the remaining three soldiers with physicals, then use two or three bars worth of hopefully multiple target Soul Break/spam your Medicas/do whatever you can with SB bars to smash the remaining two waves. RWs help a lot too-I used Paladin Force/Sacred Circle spam, since I have a couple of Platinum Shields.

(I think the best RW option on the physical end is probably Machinations, but no one runs that.)

Works even better if you can get wave three to come out into the middle of a Soul Break chargeup.

Yes, there's several assumptions there, including that you at least have multiple flavors of good mitigation, as well as the fact that it works far better if you have some good native Soul Breaks to use while you're buffed up and ready, since RWs aren't buffable...

What I'm saying here is that this Ultimate suuuuuuuuuuucks. And took me like ten minutes an attempt once I hit on that strat. :smith:

*Without native Shout when I did that fight. 2/11 tonight, Platinum Sword/Excalibur V, trinity complete :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Kylra posted:

I got all this up to about here. My best multi-target soul breaks are Yuffie and Exdeath's SSBs. Actually, I think those are my only relic AoE SBs.

In fairness, repeatedly spamming Gauntlet would be pretty pretty good for that fight, as it is both no charge time and grants MT Blink. Not sure if you actually have her leveled, but hey! It's not a bad option.

I mean, I only had Pyroclasm. Well, and Darkborn Blade but I decided having a mage in to Ramuh spam was better than having Leon in to scowl at them until he built up Soul Breaks, as my hones really, really suck and Basch was eating up a lot of the applicable abilities for him.

... not sure that was the best decision in retrospect, but hey, I got through...

Kylra posted:

Lucky wall haver! That's really huge for being able to survive the boomerang sword onslaught.

If I wasn't saving to pull on Eiko 1 while it is up I would totally be trying to Platinum Sword and SG though.

Funny story about that-I started right when that recent Buff Banner was up, my first pulls were on a Lucky Draw/Keeper 1 and got some basic tools(Pyroclasm on the first, Darkborn Blade/Cyclone Grimoire/Tailwind on the second, I think it was?), then saw that come up, checked with some friends, confirmed that it was indeed as good as I expected...

... went 0/11.

... then, because I am very good at planning Stamina refreshes from gems, and because the earlygame has that many of them from gems, went 1/11 (Shotgun) and finally 3/11 (two Platinum Shields for Apoc Shield and FINALLY Stoneskin II), just grinding up mythril before it closed.

It was sort of hilarious.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 9, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Kylra posted:

There is absolutely no way to spam Gauntlet fast enough to make up for up to 18 physical hits per hasted round that do from 20% to 90% of your hp bar. It helps a little, but it's not anywhere close to a silver bullet. There's just way too many incoming attacks.

Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it's perfect mitigation that trivializes the fight. I'm saying it helps. Pyroclasm's MT Power Breakdown+solid damage helped a lot for me, and I still got ganked over, and over, and over...

That fight's dumb and largely comes down to RNG in the end. I've got friends that have been playing since launch that didn't nail it first try, because they didn't have 4/5* MT nuclear weapons.

Especially given the stuff this fight rewards. I mean, Bio Grenade and the 4* lightning summon crew aren't theoretically bad, but who the heck prioritizes them...?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I mean, out of the long time friend pool, I specifically had one with an R3 Bahamut on top of the things I said, who promptly smashed it to pieces.

So, I know what you mean there too.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Drop a Burst RW (I'm a big fan of Fenrir Overdrive for this-super easy to find, has Wheel Slash for very solid MT non-elemental damage, auto-battle will pick Wheel Slash) on it with some nanny character who is at decent but not ridiculous levels, and have them smash through the first two waves, then use all your ability charges and native Soul Breaks on the third.

Alternatively, put a decent 3+ hones summon on a low level summoner, make sure they have a good weapon, and watch as the levelups recharge them over and over.

I'm doing both today!

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Wilekat posted:

Coming up on 50 mythril, so will be time to do my first pull I guess. Any recommendations on which of these banners to pull if you're brand new?

Keeper 2.

There's really nothing even remotely as good up right now for a newbie-two of the strongest abilities in the game and a bunch of solid options, and a free 5* armor. (Pick one that has a Shared soul break-but not Firewyrm Gloves as that Soul Break sucks-or an elemental strengthen. Gaia Gear and Red Cap are pretty good, Red Armlet gets hype for being good stats, universal and +fire, Oath Veil gets hype for strengthening a hard to strengthen element, last I checked.)

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

If you're doing the long view thing, I think Cloud OSB'll be back notably before Eiko's BSB, and on multiple banners-by then you can pretty much take a crack at it(It's not high odds-odds of getting an OSB on an 11-pull right now are around 16% or so, probably.) with a secondary shot at whatever you don't have, as those are pretty diverse banners.

Eiko's is probably the banner to pull on when it pops up, if you're looking that way, as such... but by then you'll have another 50 Mythril(you get Mythril really fast when you first start, if you're trying) before it closes, if you're playing pretty steady. There's supposed to be a few 5x Mythril giveaways coming up, too, based on some banners that popped up.

Edit: Do note, though; Cloud OSB and Eiko BSB banners are really close in quality, IMO, so if you just like FF7 or FF9 more or something, just pull on the one you like more. :v:

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 9, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Kylra posted:

Hamelin and Ragnarok VII both return for OSBfest, but some of the other stuff like Lightbringer IX and Crystal Comb don't.

I thought Ragnarok 7 was literally the only OSB that doesn't return during OSBfest.

Granted, considering the oddities of Global, and the alteration to the last fest, I'm half expecting them to relatively delay the OSBfest and then do Double OSB Fest. They always keep you on your toes.

Anyways, the important thing is that the banners are basically the same for a newbie; They have a good cannon(Cloud OSB/Beatrix BSB), a good support effect(Quina's Shout clone/Protector's Roar), a solid Hastega(Divine Guardian/Apocalypse) and a great Medica(White Materia/Eiko BSB). You can argue the quality differences between 'em, but it's basically good either way.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Wilekat posted:

drat it you guys, you're making Keeper 2 seem like the smart choice but Cloud the pick that's so crazy it might just work.

Essentially accurate, IMO, yeah. :v:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Frog Drop isn't a Shout clone, since it does damage instead of Hastega.

The Golden Hairpin is a good pull since it's the only armour piece to date that boosts Water damage though.

Yeah, misspoke. It's a 50% Boostga, but not Hastega. Should have said "inferior Shout-like".

Still, both that and Protector's Roar are good Boostga in a vacuum. Roar has better legs long term, because I think even in JP it still stacks with literally everything, whereas Frog Drop is largely just worse than Shout in the end, but it's not like either's bad short term.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Lots of people are going for Luneth for his RM(It's one of those double EXP randomly deals, except 40% rate instead of 20%).

Cloud's RM(30% to all physical attacks while equpping a sword) isn't half bad just because it's universal, but it won't give you a super high boost ever-some later RMs are 40%(actually I think there's one 40% this time, but it is to Thief skills. Take that as you will.).

Decent chance I'm just gonna throw mine at Tyro or a similarly always useful character like Y'shtola just for the stats.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

For anyone that wants a good laugh; Pick a good stats Cloud OSB RW for Midgar Zolom Ultimate, pack physical mitigation, make sure he's hit with Armor Breakdown, then when he starts using Beta enough to annoy you, press the button twice.

That was... not an impressive fight due to that. 85000 off a 550 Cloud RW after the double break was good times, but I screwed it up and used it too early so I sort of kind of had a fight. Maybe.

Edit: Ah, good, someone beat me to sharing the strat and I missed it. Still, do it, stab the snake.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I have two synergy sticks for FF7, literally just two.

One's the Gold Sword you get from Cid Missions, which sucks.

The other is Vincent's Shotgun.

It's amazing what you can do with Hope's BSB and a shotgun. RIP U++ Diamond Weapon.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, U++ is really quite doable.

I brought in my A-team-I'm so new that I have a bunch of L1 FF7 characters and don't have the eggs or time to level them, so no CM chance really-but the strat's very viable as long as you have a FF7 synergy mage weapon and a decently leveled mage.

Vincent just happened to be my mage, because Shotgun was literally the first mage weapon I pulled, go fig. I used Dagger BSB for backup damage and Rosa spammed medica, screwed up a few times and had to redo but they were completely on me.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I'm seeing that comparison to Shout with Eiko 1 and it's a bit confusing.

If people are comparing Frog Drop to Shout, yeah, I can see that, but Eiko BSB is actually a Boostga/Medica that ignores the attack softcap.

To a degree, it's easy to get overly excited over that-attaching a Medica to your Boostga is awwwwwwwwkward, and it's a flat rate 25% net damage gain. But it synergizes with Shout. And also Ramza's weird later SB, Chant, which boosts critical damage and nulls damage below 30% of the character's life. They don't fight it out in a supremacy deathmatch.

And, despite the placement being awkward, this sadly is probably the best place to get your crit boost, despite there being a bunch of other SBs that grant it.

Having said that, I always strongly encourage people not to just spin on the Wheel of Synergy Sticks for one 1% shot if that's all they want on it. It'll be back, on a banner with three bursts that is literally half FFIX armor otherwise(I have two Ogres and a Dagger of Resolve and nooooo armor...), so personally I'm definitely gonna wait.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 11, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I think Diamond is less harder and more utterly and totally different to the point of requiring basically a different team if you didn't just powder Dragon Zombie.

Now, I heard Meltigemini in the event upcoming is supposed to be meaner, and looked up a few videos.

So how do you guys feel about going through two 100k no-weakness lifebars of MT magic spamming Ultimate+ defenses jerks just to reach the ignore defenses spamming U++ Diamond Weapon-like at the end(who still has 180k life, but at least has two good weaknesses)? Who also has a defense hitting spell that hits like a truck, and counters everything randomly with ignore defenses physicals?

I really cannot imagine me beating that at my hones level. Clowns are scary. :smith:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Lucky gave me two Lust Daggers, a Break Blade and Winged Saint.

I repeatedly misread each and kept going "wait this draw is better than I think" over and over.

Trueblade clone with an element, hard hitting Sentinel skill and a decent Sent skill with Ice element=not bad at all for a draw I was dredging for synergy(and it's all in realms I literally have nothing in).

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

"I guess 3 bsbs in my lucky draw is ok" :jerkbag:
In fairness (?), I've seen that weird reaction on Unsung Hero a lot.

"Sure it's a 100% Defense buff on a brutal Holy beatdown, but it conflicts with Shout, totally useless :negative:"

As someone who got that last; Wall's waaaayyyy more important to have native to me.

That's not to say Shout isn't really, really good, I'm just saying you can run another Boostga/Hastega if you have them, get a bunch of secondary extra perks in the process(albiet probably not as much raw attack), RW Maria's Song(there's your attack back if you needed it), and do fine in many situations, and then you have a pretty great BSB.

And if the target is Holy weak, and especially if they like to pass out physical beatdowns, this is very likely going to be the better idea.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Honestly, all you really need is Sarabande/Stutter Step and a good Medica. The fullbreak Dance isn't reaaaally required at 400+ Magic, if you're doing any damage to him from any other source at all-and it doesn't add nearly as much damage as Stutter does, relatively.

(Granted, I had a backup L64 Garnet hitting him with Diaga, then Dagger of Resolve->Ramuh's Judgement, so that's somewhat better than "any other source at all", but I had a clear couple extra turns on that Hope Burst left, too. Also she was totally unboosted and unsynergized, so there's that.)

Wall and Res boosts definitely aren't required-the big jerk literally only uses ignore resistance magic after the first Core close at 70%. Breaks matter a lot more, as does Protect and defense boosts so that the other half of the time he spends stepping on you is less painful. Just the breaks should be enough for the opening magic, from what I recall.

(To be clear, I'd still bring normal Full Break if you can field it, though, for the added damage until the core closes-the fight goes so fast that he'll spend half of it under Full Break even with the core gimmick.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 13, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Personally, while I didn't CM(so I had a really good Medica in Rosa's and, helping out with the facestomps, Wall), I didn't bother with Haste.

I find Haste the most ditch-able part of the trinity, mostly because Bursts grant it. Hastega damage/mitigation/etc. estimates tend to be vastly misleading due to that-that one character really will do a vast majority of your damage and the only real reason you want more speed is "somewhat fast heals", and Hastega doesn't really help you keep up with that as well as I'd have hoped, most times.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

It's the objective best thing to do with them, at least until the far flung future when crystals aren't a complete and utter ballbashing nightmare to get more than you can count on one hand per event... but I think the only skills you can definitely get enough crystals for with just the motes from the event are R2 Lifebane(:() and R2 Aegis (:().

Also for the U++ talk; Stomps are not ITD. So Protectga is still a very good thing. It's just his magic that is a volley of infinite resistance ignoring.

(Incidentally, if you're a long time player and still having problems; His magic's all fire, because... because. If you've got the gear to resist that up without it costing you a lot, it's a good way to really hurt his offense at a low cost.)

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah I haven't had a single roulette land on me yet, was starting to wonder if if was broken.

Yeah I haven't had a single roulette miss me yet, was starting to wonder if it was broken.

I mean, I don't actually care, since once I realized the zombies could one-shot me, I started using disproportionate force :black101: but.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

My mythril plan is Lucky Draws, Onion 1 and :frogsiren: OSBFEST WHATEVER THE HELL YEAR IT LANDS :frogsiren: unless they really change that for the worse when it hits Global(doubt it).

(Incidentally Hamelin there, at least in JP, was on a banner with Vaan's kinda ehn because it's non-elemental OSB[So, you know, it just does like, 13x damage if you hit an enemy with Full Break before using it and can't be improved much more than that. That's all.], Agrias' Beatrix-BSB-like Burst, and Maria's surprisingly solid outside of the ehn element En-Earth Burst. The non-Burst/OSB stuff was Time Crush, Protector's Roar and Seiken Shock. Pretty great.)

Oh and probably refreshes for the next Orbfest. Past that, no real plans.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

On Luneth talk; Assuming nothing changes, another thing to consider is that he has some pretty sweet buffs coming up when Onion event comes up.

He picks up Dragoon 5 and Darkness 4 default, then (if you care about such things) motes open up for him and give him possible access Spellblade 5/Support 4/Darkness 5. (Last eventually matters, as a pretty sweet Darkness physical combo that needs Dark 5 is floating around in JP right now.)

I don't think his current "half-assed Spellblade" is really all that good, especially once the double-shot swords start opening up.. but full power Dragoon that can throw around Ga swords and Dark Bargain? Another question entirely. Good gear selection, to boot. So the EXP of making him L99 is not wasted from a gameplay sense, especially if you have a SB for him.

I managed to get his darned Trueblade clone off the Lucky Draw, so I'm pretty seriously considering going for his RM4.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 16, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Benthalus posted:

My only issue with this is for older players, we could select Tyrfing in the first selection banner offered, so any of us could have Advance. His current configuration of Lifesiphon > Advance > Full Charge makes him a murderbeast in any realm with a synergy weapon. Swap out Lifesiphon for a spellblade to hit a weakness and he can joun any A-team. I just pulled Refia's Rising Sun and he was still far outpacing her in DPS in the FFIII story dungeon bosses.

Well, Advance is... sort of kind of aging as a high power murder engine, due to the weird mechanics of the soft power cap(Over 600 or so attack really, really doesn't give a lot of raw damage)+Shout and some other good stackable Boostga existing, as far as really high power A-Teams go.

Then again, it isn't BAD either, even with that-as was mentioned, it works with mage teams...it is just showing some age.

Overall point is, it's easy to make use of Luneth if you have his SBs, once those buffs come in. Right now... he's probably underrated in that he's not a garbage character(5* Spellblade only really matters for one thing right now.), but he doesn't stand out as a high power cannon or anything, and he would have really been rough later on if he hadn't gotten those buffs.

But he does, so :getin:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

"Well I guess I need to at least TRY this U++, I mean I know it does a metric shitton of damage and has an absolutely insane pile of life, but I have really, really good Soul Breaks. That's gotta count for a lot. Even if I'm literally bringing in Double Cuts because of how long this is iiiiiiiiiii'm dreading this..."

:catstare:

Team, for the curious. The hones are.... pretty bad(R2/R1, R4/R1, R4/R3, R5/R2, R5/R2). Maria Song RW. Somehow had Basch get sniped at the very last second, before he was about to Ardent Blade Gemini's face off, with ST Bio, while at less than a third life, and live. The meme says its self, really.

Definitely didn't get it first try, just stunned I had as doable of a time as I did-blame the SBs. Faris BSB/Wall/Divine Heal/Apoc Shield/Shout is good times. Two Ogres sure helped too.

By the way I've never used imgur before so let me know if I screwed anything up. :ohdear:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Nah, I got Ultima Weapon U++ too, but Hope BSB+Vincent w/Shotgun happening to be my token mage at the time(I have a lot more leveled now) saved me completely there. Had to make a bunch of skills specifically for it, but it worked out.

And yeah, teeechnically Kraken has more life, but A: That sucked too, and B: Yeah, I actually should have said overall durability and not HP. :v:

At least Kraken never gets any harder, really. Sure, his AI gets stronger later, but once you take out a tentacle it gets so much less painful.

'course I'm probably biased because I tried to blitz that instead of double healer like this one, there, so I went in without Protectga, which wasn't very fun early in the fight...

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 20, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

victrix posted:

Out of curiosity, are those 5 dooms bosses ever coming back? Snowspell/whatever the Samurai one is are the only two I unlocked.
Not as of current JP.

There's some dungeons in JP that give up (some of? not sure all of them are present yet) the same motes, but they're brutal 250 difficulty gauntlet fights, I gather.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Maria is someone you don't hear much about because her only Global SB right this moment is the aforementioned "ehn" Faithga. Otherwise she's fine(secondary White has some uses, even if it's not high enough for the good stuff, so she's at least not pure Black), just not standout.

Do note; this changes literally later this event, and Meteor XVI is surprisingly brutal, all told. Even if the element is a little questionable, everything else about it is good.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Earth is actually surprisingly common as a neutral element. It's a very rare weakness, sure, but its not nearly as common a resistance/null/absorb as it was in the game's early days.

That's one reason Guy's imperil is surprisingly solid.

Yeah, Earth is resisted more than it is weaked, in my experience, so it's not necessarily the best element... but honestly, either happens basically never.

It's fine; Meteor is great.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I have one of the two Bursts on debuff lucky, and the mathed out numbers on the banner overall are so bad that I can't see myself bothering due to that.

:negative: It's a terrible thing when the draw quality is questionable enough relative to other banners that it may not be worth it half-price. It's fine if you don't have either Burst and don't have a double offense break though.

Oh uh I guess I beat Ultima Buster today too. Turns out he doesn't like Vivi's BSB. Like, really, really, really does not like it. Who knew.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 22, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Annnnd ultimates downed.

Definitely more relaxing than the last sets, for a given definition of relaxing that is hold loving still and let me hit you.

Man, I just need a few more levels on my mages before I feel comfy with them against Ultimate-level fights...

Upshot, dropping an RW Pecil BSB on them with Leon swinging double +holy gear and Basch with one +holy and one synergy Defender was cathartic. It was like Esthar Invasion, except I wrecked them horribly on my first go with one medal lost. :black101:

Watching a single knight drum on your team for four hits or MT your entire team is still really irritating though. Especially when it keeps happening.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Zurai posted:

1100/1200/1300/1400 potency with 0/5/12/20 magic hits sent her way.
Huh, at those figures that's close to entirely a downside, albiet a small one. Eating 12 turns of magic to the dome is a very long fight, let alone 20.

'course, looking the thing up I find it's Holy/Wind, so who cares, still good.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is blink dispellable?

The answer is supposedly no, and that fits my experience...

U-DO Burger posted:

I think so. Once Banishing Strike finally hit and I got Reflect on the Lamia Queen I was hitting far more often (though I still missed here and there because holy gently caress that evasion stat). It could just be confirmation bias though

... but, it does, however, have a duration and it's not super long(25s). So there's that.

(On the record, I used Maria's Song on that fight, so the quad-hits prooooobably made it pretty clear when Blink went down, or "HOLY GOD THE ENTIRE THING MISSED" vs "Okay one hit missed", but it's randomization so I still could be wrong and Banishing Strike was dispelling it. I dunno. It looked like it wasn't dispelling though.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 24, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Zurai posted:

You're reading it wrong, and are also wrong.

1. You only need to be targeted by a damage-dealing magical attack 5 times to be exactly the same as a baseline OSB. Chances are that will happen before you even get your SB bar charged up since Celes can't use either Lifesiphon or Wrath.
2. 12 magic hits is really easy to get to. Most bosses spam magic, and Celes can use Lure Magic for single target stuff.

It's only a downside for the very rare pure/almost pure physical fight. The vast majority of bosses are almost entirely magical.

12 enemy turns is still around eight or nine player turns tops, assuming Hastega.

That's a non-trivial amount of time to build up all of a 1x boost on most OSBs, and it makes it worse at being an option for early blitzing down of a single target in a multi-target fight-a very good use for OSBs.

(Now, granted; Celes gets neither Lifesiphon nor Wrath. There's a valid argument her OSB is not the best candidate for that.)

Also, despite what you're saying, even the most magic spammy boss (pick one, I'll go look up the AI on it if you like) usually cap out around 70%-80% magic rate every turn.

(A few Nightmares are exceptional in this, I think... where Celes is bad for a lot of reasons. Otherwise, I'm thinking of Meltigemini U++ here. Which, granted, that would have kicked rear end for as that's a slog where multiple targets do literally nothing but pelt you with spells. But this entire FF2 event has Emperor requring you to Magic Lure/Runic to get a decent rate-when he's not buffing himself, it's 70% of his turns that he casts offense magic if his buffs aren't up, and he has scripted buffs and his scripted Elixir-and everyone else is physical. FF7, U+ Zombie Dragon, you get hit by four Pandora's Boxes and an occasional few Shadow Flares-if you get hit by 12 spells during that you've screwed up. Snake, same thing, he's countering with Betas, not using standard spells, if you got hit 12 times you screwed up. Ultima Weapon U++, spends 40-50% of the time stepping on you-takes over 20 turns on average to reach a bonus in damage. You get the idea.)

On the other hand, and I want to be very clear on this point;

None of this really matters and I just enjoy theoretical babble-at most it's a damage boost slightly above 15% normal for an OSB, after 20 spells, and at worst it's 7% below-so if you want to see it as an advantage, more power to you, maybe you tank harder and play more methodically than I do. It's pretty minor regardless.

The important thing is that it's Holy/Wind, and those elements kick rear end. This is the huge screaming take-away for me. I'm actually curious if that's better, on an average of Ultimates over the course of recent JP, than Holy/NE; Wind's rarely resisted and feels like it's weak more often than usual for the non-big-three elements.

Hell, I think Locke's OSB recently is 10x Fire/Holy, quickcast, and I pretty much cheered that. Holy combo elements are very strong, in my opinion.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 24, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Welp, lesson learned. Don't use Selphie's BSB on phase two of Nightmare Evrae Altana. :v:

"Huh, I was planning on doing that, why not?"

*Looks over Soul Break again.* "I don't see an..y... 100% Inst... oh. oh."

I'm so sorry.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

SpaceGoku posted:

Started messing with this game earlier this week and a friend told me to pull on the debuff thing and then post my result in this thread so here you go, I hope I did good on this I want to make Dr. Mog proud of me.

Well you got the single item most people drawing wanted(Orichalcum Dirk; You should probably get Vaan immediately.), and four more when the average on draws is two or so right now, so yes, you did fine. :v:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm trying to stack my chances of getting weapons, plus I can't stand Hope. Gacha luck made me use Squall in my A-team for months despite never pulling on a dedicated VIII banner, I'd rather not repeat it for another character I hate.

Well we are getting the 25 mythril dump on Halloween, and six from the minigame launching tonight if we break every milestone. Free dark matter and more Instant KO resist accessories are cool too.

Also 10/28 has 5 free mythril coming, IIRC.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Viking_Helmet posted:

I don't have the orbs for those yet, except for the basic breaks. It seems like you have to be able to handle higher tier content before you can get the orbs to make the tougher content doable in the first place.

Have you done any Elite main dungeon stuff?

It's usually not very hard, early on-should certainly be doable at your levels, and coughs up Greater/Major Orbs even early.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

All of these Ultimates are jerks.

Well, the Ultimate and U+ were, with the Ultimate being "Oh thank god I remembered what Machinations first command was and happened to have a friend RW of it, this would be hell otherwise" and U+ being "STOP CONFUSING RAMZA RIGHT BEFORE I USE SHOUT TO REFRESH MY HASTE AFTER YOUR SLOW" (Three times in a row, essentially killed me with the timing I was using, pitiful odds of happening. I don't even know.).

U++ I hear is... sort of amazing even by these standards, so I'm... not doing that right now...

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

For Ultimate problems; Machinations has a two-hit Water/Lightning multi-target Burst command that also Stuns.

It's... pretty kind of incredible for that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Maria Song for RW.

Hey, hey, you know what wasn't loving worth it? THIS. THIS WAS NOT loving WORTH IT. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS loving FIGHT UNLESS YOU HAVE REAL GODDAMN 5* SKILLS!!!

Two damned people out of hones at the end! 0/0, entirely out! Pyroclasm'd him, it DIDN'T KILL despite like the last THREE hits being on an empty bar and Ramza frigging crits him to finally thunk his stupid rear end down! With a normal physical!

This fight is stupid!

Ahem. Venting over.

So, so many times Y'shtola got stopped right before Wall came up to be refreshed, or Basch got Slowed/Stopped, which negated any chances I had because the offense was so razor edge on requirements...

• Locked thread