Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

A hoard of growth eggs make Luneth's RM4 obsolete. At least for the first few MCIIIs.

I've maxed his Record Dive, but still need 13 more Vitality 4* motes to complete his Paladin sphere. No regrets.

I could replace the Saint Cross with Aegis Strike for AoE, or swap the Azure Blade for Battleforged to just spam Paladin Force. Either way he is the ultimate force of Holy purification.

Too bad I didn't pull Lightbringer IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

1/11 for Refia's Rising Sun.

Guess who was skipped when handing out Monk motes in order to get Lifebane to R2?

Doh. Look's like she's going to have to use R2 Exploding Fist for a few months.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Nihilarian posted:

"I guess 3 bsbs in my lucky draw is ok" :jerkbag:

Thank you, this is the appropriate response.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

the Orb of Zot posted:

Just noticed I actually have enough orbs sitting around to hone Saint Cross from R3 to R4.

I won't do it since I want to save the orbs for future use (i.e. getting Gaia Cross to R2 when it comes out), but it's kind of notable that I actually have the option of doing so.

YOLO

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

ETB posted:

I'm 10 MSOs away. :sigh:

Don't worry, after that going from R4 to R5 requires another 100 MSOs. And 60 MDOs and 60 MNOs.

So a rough estimate would be at the 3rd anniversary of the game's release.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

SageAcrin posted:

I don't think his current "half-assed Spellblade" is really all that good, especially once the double-shot swords start opening up.. but full power Dragoon that can throw around Ga swords and Dark Bargain? Another question entirely. Good gear selection, to boot. So the EXP of making him L99 is not wasted from a gameplay sense, especially if you have a SB for him.

I managed to get his darned Trueblade clone off the Lucky Draw, so I'm pretty seriously considering going for his RM4.

My only issue with this is for older players, we could select Tyrfing in the first selection banner offered, so any of us could have Advance. His current configuration of Lifesiphon > Advance > Full Charge makes him a murderbeast in any realm with a synergy weapon. Swap out Lifesiphon for a spellblade to hit a weakness and he can joun any A-team. I just pulled Refia's Rising Sun and he was still far outpacing her in DPS in the FFIII story dungeon bosses.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like getting a single off-banner non-SB relic is even more of a kick in the balls than getting nothing nowadays :sigh:

I disagree completely. Unless you already have perfect synergy gear for the best team in a realm, that 5* weapon or armor will almost certainly be an upgrade. Or give you flexibility to bring a different character if need be.

And if not, its a Rosetta stone.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Watching Vivi cast Meltdown on Taharka and then having Blood of the Espers proc for a second casting is incredibly satisfying.

Getting a Major Earth Orb drop was a nice finishing touch.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

U++ CM done. I have very good FFIX synergy with Garnet's Divine Guardian, Quina's Mighty Guard IX, Steiner's Climhazzard, Zidane's Scoop Art, and Vivi's Dualcast Decay. I skipped a Wall RW and went in favor of Vivi's BSB for the combined Meltigemini phase, which let me unload almost all his Flare and Chain Firaga hones on the twins. I even had Garnet bring along my R4 Bahamut alongside Curaja since the protection and major regen worked so well. Steiner bit it on the last boss meteor, but I still only lost one medal on damage.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

Global does mean places other than the US. I don't doubt that there will be some degree of the game being affected, but hopefully it'll continue running since it should be a steady profit-earner.

If anything, it's the prices of renting in SF.

I highly doubt it had anything to do with the SF rent. Looking at the DeNA company as a whole, they are the standard Japanese online technology company with operations in most areas of Internet communications, as well as other areas of high-margin aspects of the Japanese economy like fashion. Here's their full list:

http://dena.com/intl/services/services-portfolio/

Their wikipedia entry lists all their games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeNA

Interesting, I played Rage of Bahamut back when it first came out for all of a month, then decided it was pointless and gave all my cards to a friend.

Looking at that statement, the losses to the Global unit are measured in the hundreds of millions over the past 2 years. That is orders of magnitude beyond FFRK's likely profit, and means that while our game is a hit, I'm guessing everything else they made was not. Properties that make money are usually maintained one way or another, and based on the statements in that document they will outsource the global development of the game. Which could be fine, or very bad.

I really hope they don't pull a Disney, who shut down Playdom along with their games Marvel Avengers Alliance 1 and 2, with only a month's notice. Those were fun and well designed games, great graphics and gameplay, even a decent comic-book story. I even got my wife to play MAA2 and enjoy it. Glad I didn't put more than $10 into those games. Could you imagine the outcry of the whales if FFRK was shutdown? We'd all be deafened.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I think it's important to note that only the DeNA Global company is being folded, which is a subsidiary of DeNA itself. The main Japanese company remains, and as they are the ones responsible for the development of FFRK (not SquareEnix) I'm now less worried about the overall continuation of the game due to it's popularity in Japan. But the localization and support are definitely up in the air. If Grozz Nuy is correct and localization is already outsourced, maybe we won't even notice a change.

Here's hoping.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

kalensc posted:

I'm also starting to feel that most of my IV, V, VI, VII, and XIII gear is outdated, but it's been enough to get mastery on all CMs so far. Maybe Festivals and Lucky Draws will spread the new items around in a even way, but if not then I'll eventually need to start upgrading specific RS gear.

Until we start seeing the 200+ difficulty dungeons, it seems to me that the only realm-specific SBs we need are hastgas and medicas. The variety of skills available and accumulation of the orbs to make them allows almost any character with a generic realm-synergy weapon able to function. I have only pre-SSB relics for FFXIII but can field a hybrid team with native Hastega and Medica using all synergy weapons and it is one of my strongest realm teams.

We'll see how my words hold up with the FFII Ultimates, but I might struggle because I only have 3 realm weapons.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Got the U+ CM mastered with a physical team RW shout. Turns out I had 3 usable synergy weapons, Josef's first fist (suicide lawls), Gaia blade, and reforged Wing Sword+++.

Then I had the most satisfying setup for the U++: Paladin Cecil at lvl 99, almost fully moted, with Excalibur (IV), Platinum Shield, Lifesiphon and Aegis Strike. Paladin Force into Aegis Strike and no more Black Knights!

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

If I spent several thousand dollars on this game, and the only bonus I received was a few items equivalent to a run through an orbfest dungeon, and an advance notice about upcoming events thats going to be posted on teh intarweb anyhow, I'd probably rage quit.

And 5 minutes later I'd realize I had sunk several thousand dollars and go back into the game and just stare at all my 8* equipment.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

My Ramza is now maxed out on Record Spheres. 217 attack, without any equipment. Plus a bonus 3% damage with sword/katana attacks.

My Paladn Cecil with his base 230 ATK laughs at your Ramza, especially with his stacking bonuses of +3% sword, +3% holy, and +6% knight damage when using Banishing Strike, Saint Cross or Aegis Strike.

But then he's nice enough to Draw Fire and protect Ramza while benefiting from Shout so it's all good.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

All three Ults down with Mastey using a full FFXII team. Thankfully avoiding a KO wasn't part of the conditions because I lost someone in each fight, usually Penelo near the end. But wow, my FFXII synergy really snuck up on me and turns out I have a stellar hybrid team for the realm. No native hastega, but that's what RWs are for especially when the Ult attacks ignore Def and Res.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

It is the same ID as Full Break/Multi Break, yes, so you can't stack those but the Burst commands are Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown so there is no need to bring defensive breakdowns at all. Unfortunately, Wakka's skillset pretty much means that you're opening up Armor/Mental Breakdown and Affliction Break. Still, AoE Full Breakdown is nothing to scoff at.

In this situation, Armor Breakdown is very useful. If you're using any other physical attackers, it improves their damage. Given the high DEF of current bosses, it is unlikely that any of those attackers are hitting the damage cap so the Armor Breakdown is improving everyone's DPS. It makes up for Wakka's low ATK. Once you bust out his BSB, just cycle attack command, defend command, Armor Breakdown. Really that's all a support character needs to do anyhow. I do this with Faris and her BSB.

Edit:

My spreadsheet, pretty self-explanatory

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 4, 2016

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

NGDBSS posted:

Given its high defenses, hones and/or elemental SBs will make a huge amount of difference. Hell, Exdeath was using Waterja R4 and still was running on fumes at the end.

The hones were definitely the key. Once I got everybody fitted with a resist KO accessory, I still needed to hone Thief's Revenge to R4 and Sapphire Shot to R3 for my full FFX team to take him down. It's pretty amazing how quickly Tidus can go through abilities when you have R2 Powerchain and his armor SB Leap & Rush, but the DPS is ridiculous. So even without his BSB or OSB he can still out-damage everyone else.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Geocities Homepage King posted:

No reason to use synergy unless you have to or want to challenge yourself or something. I've been blowing them up with my A team as well.

This is a single player game and everyone can play their own way, but your method seems incredibly dull. For me half the fun of these fights is using characters you normally wouldn't, taking advantage of a mechanic the designers obviously intended.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Kanos posted:

Brave synergy is so powerful that characters under Brave synergy will likely be stronger than your average A team, so I don't really see much of a difference, especially since these are pretty easy bosses. It's not like a Cid Mission where you're going in with drastically reduced power and being forced to come up with a strategy to work around the issue.

You missed my point entirely. I spoke nothing of challenge, difficulty or ease of completing the fight. This game is about nostalgia, remembering the prior stories and characters by using them in battle. Wiping everything with your same A-team boss after boss seems rather boring. But if that's how you like to play, fine. I like to use other characters and their relics that don't even make the C team.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

edit: wrong goddamn FF thread again, sorry guys

edit 2: to clarify I thought I was in the FFBE thread, where pulling any 5* character from the gatcha is 1%, and therefore a really terrible idea to chase those units.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 10, 2016

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Goddamnit, they had to put all the obnoxious status-inflicting trash in the FFVIII core dungeons again. I've had to S/L 4 times in this one fight against two mobs because either an attacker gets blinded, a magic user gets silenced, or someone gets hit with Iai blow.

gently caress off.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Varance posted:

PSA: For all you whiny fucks who complained about the Lucavi death animation for FFT realms, they fixed it for future encounters.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQ5tGpoWMo&t=510s

Not good enough, needs the death cry sound as well. :colbert:

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I really wanted to master the CM U+ with Kain's BSB as the RW used by my own Kain, but the damage output from those lightning strikes was ridiculous even with lightning resist gear. Ended up having to RW Wall, after that had no issues.

I also wanted to complete the U++ with a full FFIV team, but again the Calcas and Brinas just had too much DPS, so I had to sub out the Spoony Bard for Tyro to add Multi Break and SG. And with the selection of skills and SBs I have available, I didn't need a single mage for all attackers to deal AoE damage. Sky Grinder, Aegis Strike, Doppleblade, Demonsblood (on Tyro).

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

This MP has already been fun with pubbies, but I was ready for the concept with FF Mobius. Didn't lose any battles, and completed eqch difficulty once, but I'm selective in looking at what other people have equipped and have no qualms about bailing from a crappy setup. I'll get into the good discord once the real thing hits.

Aerith's White Materia healing 8 people for 4k each was fun. Followed by her using Bahamut and doing more damage than all but my Cecil was even more satisfying.

Also, this is great for whale watching.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Edit: ^^ you and me both buddy.

Why yes, I'll have an Onion Sword for 100 gems, thank you very much!

SpaceGoku posted:

thanks, obama

It's 2016. Make FFRK great again.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

It took me over 500 mythril to get Shout, IIRC.

At least you have a Platinum Sword. I've spent over 700 mythril on banners that have it featured or part of a lucky draw, and still don't have one. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Cyan's Murakamo... x2. Promptly combined given my overflow of FFVI weapons. I suppose he can replace Celes on my CM team when the boss doesn't spam single target black magic.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Beasteh posted:

You don't need to hone snowspell at all if you have the magnificent sword of constant victory, just have Celes suck up all the spells for infinite uses :science:

I assume you are referring to her Excalibur. Thankfully her original Soul Sabre fulfills this role as well, since how often do we see bosses spamming Holy at us? (I'm looking at you, stripper Yuna.)

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Pulled a sweet 4/11 on the lucky draw:

Snow's Power Circle (a nice upgrade from his Paladin)
Jecht's Sin Talon (another monk I didn't upgrade to 6*)
Sazh's Deneb Duellers (hard to incorporate with Vegas+ already)
Porom's Feathered Cap

I haven't seen anyone else pull Porom's hat, but it looks like a fantastic stacking physical buff with ATK/MND/Crit. The problem is fitting her into a team because even in FFIV I already have Rosa's Miracle (Protect and Shell) and Divine Heal (AoE Curaga and Magic blink). I could drop Edward from the FFIV synergy team and have Rosa on breakdown duty while Porom heals, but that would remove Full Break and Rosa wouldn't be able to abuse Wrath. The other three characters are Paladin Cecil with BSB, Kain with SSB, and Edge with SSB so getting Porom's boostga would be pretty killer.

Man, these are some great problems to have. Sorry to every who pulled a 1/11 antique relic, I got stuck with Josef's gloves ages ago in a 1/11 (and that was 50 mythril) so I know the feeling.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

100-gem: Tin Armor, sweet 5* on the dollar drop, might make a fun team with Vivi's BSB and Terra's Tiara. Maybe I could get Blood Sword while still chasing Shout?

50-mythril: 3/11 Thyrus x 2, Healing Staff, so I guess that gives me options for wall but Tyro is already solidly on my A-team with both SG and his BSB. Mage sticks for FFXIV are fine, they're my first relics for that realm. FFII sucks.

50-mythril: 1/11 Healing Staff, FFII really sucks.

Guess I won't be getting fire-goddess Terra to pair with Vivi, but she's still decent with enFire and Chain Firaga.

And that's over 800 mythril in search of Platinum Sword. Don't go chasing waterf... er, specific relics.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

djfooboo posted:

Pubbies on apocalypse Greg are dumb as gently caress

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

acumen posted:

This is why you just host the party, pubbies are so bad. Also why do they all have Cloud's OSB?

I have noticed this, which bothers me especially since I have zero OSBs and only 7 BSBs.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

FFRK is just all around a much better game, from the nostalgic gameplay, to the balance of character units, to the (relative) generosity of the free in-game currency. The dollar draw is also reasonable and I've had some great pulls from it.

I'll continue to play FFBE only because I got lucky and my favorite character is obtainable (Paladin Cecil is 3*) and I first got him on a featured banner a couple months into playing, and he is a top-tier unit at max level without needing any rare equipment or other enhancements. I will never spend any money attempting to pull units in that game, and the only money I have spent has gone into grinding out those enhancement items for other characters.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

Please use characters that you like and pull on their game's banners and don't obsess over clearing every single dungeon in the game. :tipshat:

Unless you're a bitter vet getting hosed by the recent banners who's been playing since week one, because otherwise the game would be trivial.

Seriously, a single BSB and no OSBs out of 8 pulls on OSB fest and FFXIV-1 is really poor luck.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

acumen posted:

That being said I've resigned myself to just run Ramza/Y'Shtola from here on out since no one likes to support or buff. Multiplayer when it works is super rad but like every other game can be a real slog with dummies.

You're actually more likely to succeed by being your own support and healing. The pubbies are definitely dummies. I like to think of them as mouth-breathing drool-soaked invalids capable only of "PUSH BUTAN DO DMG" with whatever shiny new BSB or OSB relic they just pulled. Set your expectations low and you'll only ever be pleasantly surprised.

Now if only I could apply that principle to the rest of my life...

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I preferred the time a crazy tree wanted to destroy the world.

The best was when a mooninite wanted to destroy the world.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Had 168 mythril saved by the time this banner hit. So here goes for 100-gems and three 11-pulls. I'd really like a BSB since I went through over 325 mythril between OSB fest, FFXIV and Lucky Draws and only got Hamelin. Since Agrias is on my A-team already, hers would be nice, but Orlando's OSB is sweet also.

100-gem: trash.

First: 1/11 for Mythril Gun. Decent, it's a stacking AoE full break which is nice for the FFT multi-target bosses.

Second: 1/11 for Venetian Shield. Good, though I have Kaiser Shield and Defender so most SB gauges are going towards Cleansing Strike.

Third: 2/11

loving finally! This will give me some Imperil Holy to help fuel Cecil's Paladin Force, and draw fire without needing Gaia Strike.

Edit: VVV This exactly. Holy purification of all enemies!

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 27, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Haha wow, RW Raines BSB absolutely annihilates Wiegraf. It didn't hurt I had the following party for magic boosting, breaking, and mitigation:

Krile for Sheepsong
Alphinaud for Deployment Tactics
Keeper for SG
Eiko for Prayer of the Lost
Mustadio for Heart Piercer

I don't think a single party member dropped below 50% health before I beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

:same: though my opinions were a single sentence:

"I want a record sphere for Eiko :("

Two letters and a number:

MC3

• Locked thread