Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SageAcrin posted:

Especially given the stuff this fight rewards. I mean, Bio Grenade and the 4* lightning summon crew aren't theoretically bad, but who the heck prioritizes them...?

Anyone who's done the Summon Nightmare ought to have at least one 4* Lightning summon lying around.

Bio Grenade is kinda poo poo for that fight since half the guys are immune to it. Rather just use Sky Grinder/Flashing Blade/Tornado Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I pulled Vega 42s. I remember a year ago when that would have been cause for celebration. As is it's still a Hastega for XIII, and physical synergy.

I also got Delita's dagger, and Ovelia's robe, so if you count this draw by how many Hastegas I pulled it's pretty strong.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cleared the U++ CM while using Angel Snack as my only native SB (also had Steiner's Excalibur for synergy Holy boost, and two Mag staffs):

Vivi w/ R4 Firaja and R1 Meltdown
Garnet w/ R4 Maduin and R4 Alexander
Steinter w/ R3 Saint's Cross and Magic Lure (and the sole Poison Res accessory)
Quina w/ R4 Magic Breakdown, R2 Full Break, and the aforementioned Angel Snack for Boostga
Eiko w/ Curaja and Shellga
Sheep song RW

The trick was slowing my roll and just auto-attacking Thorn for a bit once I got Zorn down until I could get Quina's SB back. As long and shell and breakdowns were up he wasn't much of a threat. Once ready just refresh Boostga, Sheepsong, and Shellga and que up everyone's ATB. Once I killed Thorn it was just a matter of laying waste to Meltigemini with Multi-hit weakness attacks. He did get off one non-scripted attack, but I was lucky enough for it to be single-target Bio, which Steiner ate like a champ. Boss hits like a truck but he's got the HP of a difficulty 99 boss.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SuperHappy posted:

Man, kudos to y'all who are getting the CM. I have the drat Ogre and still had trouble getting through this with my A team.

Back-to-back AoE first strikes from hi-speed bosses... yeah, those are the kinds of fights we enjoy, Dena :\

The opening aoe salvo is balance by the fact that for the following two turns they will do nothing but a weak physical attack on whoever has the most HP.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So if I'm in the market for a little bit of II synergy (and have 500+ spare mythril anyway) which is the better banner to be pulling on? I've already got a really old axe for Firion and Leon's Hand of the Emperor as my only II gear.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'll probably still pull on this banner just because I need any and all relics still, sucks that there's so many mediocre things on it, though. The Tome and Faris' BSB would be amazing, but I've had terrible luck trying to get them so far.

Also, quick question now that I've got Full Break - what all stacks / doesn't stack with this? From my extremely limited testing, it seems like it doesn't stack with stuff like Ark Blast / Beryl Serpent, but *does* stack with Breakdowns, unless I was just getting inconsistent numbers. Do any other debuffs stack with it, or is Full Break + Breakdowns + Protect / Shell / Back Row / bonuses from gear the most mitigation you can get?

Please read the OP

The OP posted:

Buff Stacking
This gets its own section because it's pretty important.

Now, the way FFRK handles buffs and debuffs is different from most RPGs I've seen. The way it works is that each Buff/Debuff has its own ID, based off what stats it effects. So, an ability that reduces the Enemy's attack and one that raises the user's attack would have the same ID, because they both effect just Attack. You can't have two effects with the same ID on the same character, the new one will just overwrite the old one.

So if you use Attack Breakdown, then Attack Break, you'll just end up undoing your Attack Breakdown for the lesser Attack Break. So don't do it.

However, two Buffs/Debuffs that effect different stats will stack. So Attack Buff/Debuff and Magic Buff/Debuff will stack. And here's where things get crazy. Some abilities give Buffs/Debuffs that effect multiple stats at once. These then have their own unique ID. So let's say you have three Debuffs to inflict on the enemy. An Attack one, a Magic one, and one that decreases Magic and Defense. Then you throw on a buff that increases your Party's Attack, then one that increases their Magic, then another that increases both Attack and Magic. All three will stack since all three have separate IDs. This is important to know because high end FFRK content pretty much requires the ability to be able to stack up multiple buffs and/or debuffs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Suck it Mote Ogres

Don't regret my pull on banner 2, even if all it got me was two more Flame Shields and Leon's Defender, possibly the least useful items on the banner for this fight, it still made the difference.

Battle basically went Gordon opens with Kashuan's resolve to get damage up, then throws breakdowns at Red Soul hoping to build as much SB as possible. Firion fished for luck on Sleep Buster, which he got, before lifesiphoning Red Soul, and Leon sucked up all the attacks and built gauge on the soul. Maria threw out meteors while her magic was still high enough. Once the ogres woke up it was go time: Gordon tossed out Goddes Bell and all the breakdowns he could manage, Leon, having dropped HotE before go time, just shat out AoE SSBs forever. Maria mostly just woke people from sleep once Kashuan's Resolve wore off.

But the real star of the show was Will of the White Mage. Oh, Leon just took two blizzard's to the face and has an invisible life bar remaining? How about instead loving everybody is healed to full right loving now.

Minwu is your new god. All hail.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I did non-CM Ifrit physically and it ran me out of hones and there were a few times where incoming damage threatened to drop someone, and that was with Cleansing Strike Agrias and Dreamstage Selphie. Granted, I went with my usual team (Shout Ramza, Paladin Force Cecil, Faithful Companion Gilgamesh, the aforementioned two) which wasn't optimized for the fight as I refused to craft a second copy of Blizzara Strike so my only ice damage was Blizzara Strike from Agrias and Ice Jump from Gilgamesh but it was genuinely close. I don't have access to options that'd let me do him CM-style yet. He's tough!

:crossarms:

Just RW Rinoa's BSB off Edea w/ Memento Mori and have Seifer draw all the single-target attacks while defending.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I beat the U++ by farting Blinks all over the place. Coincidentally how I beat the U+ CM, too, just took a lot of S/L to find the right build and get the timing on Ruin Impendant just right. Turns out Arihman aint poo poo with Basch and Gabranth drawing all their attacks.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Shell / Protect is all I've got, yeah.

You need Magic Breakdown for a fight life this. Also Full Break, even rank 1, will probably be a huge help for Mateus if you're bringing a Lightning RW to kill the adds in two rounds. Blizzajas should be much more manageable with proper mitigation applied.

Really you should be bringing some sort of defensive breakdown to every Ultimate or higher fight.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I already have SSB for both Kain and Rydia, and plenty of stat sticks besides, so I'm not sure how great pulling on this banner would be. I understand Kain's BSB is crazy balls, but Rising Drive -> Dragoon Jump is still pretty hefty dps. Really the IV relic I want most is Artemis Bow.

On another topic, Necrophobe was too much so I just spent half an hour hit-and-running so I could pop Goddess Bell right at Phase 2, and then back-to-back Gordon and Setzer SBs whenever the dooms got too low (Faris did much the same with Kindred Spirit). Having all the dooms up wasn't so bad thanks to stacking Atk/Mag debuffs and Ramza's endless Tailwind thanks to Magic Lure. He didn't get to phase three, but I'm pretty sure he was close, though Ramza was ready to throw and endless barrage of stones if the others needed the stun time to finish him off.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Welp, two Heroic Shields and the Onion Gauntlets on my first pull.

So what do I do with the rest of this 400 mythril?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Where should I drop my mythril if I want some III synergy weapons? OK 2?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So there appears to be a localization error, as the text for Vessel of Fate only mentions granting Haste to the user, not the whole party.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I've done all the III fights, and have been grinding the Enigma dungeon non-stop since the event went up. I'm still 1 Onion Mote short of fully upgrading the little guy, and my entire FF3 cast is 1 level away from the cap. Is there a better way to get this last mote, or do I just fling non-synergy people at it until the event ends or I get the loving drop?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
All I got for my luck draw was Enochian Blizzard. I guess EnIce is better than nothing, especially since I've also got the only Imperil Ice in the game. Shame I've got no Ice BSBs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

LornMarkus posted:

Well if you can get it working we've got a second group now, one slot left to fill. 4666 though Awe is leading it.

Nevermind looks like that ended. Oh well, back to randos I guess.

If you still need it I can hop in with my Laguna/Papalymo blizzard power hour

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AweStriker posted:

Gaaaaah that was so close.

That was a pretty spectacular lag festival, but I'm willing to try again.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

LornMarkus posted:

Ditto, we just got horrifically unlucky with those Paralyzes. If it had missed Ramza or Vanille we could have healed through the AOE spam.

There a discord or something so we can chat not in thread?

because we really need protect/shell and Laguna can do slow but neither of those

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Fister Roboto posted:

I got a blood sword and tiara, meaning I now have literally all of Terra's soul breaks, but I'd trade it all in an instant for just one platinum sword :negative:

You now have possibly the best DPS character ever, especially for multiplayer. Just take Wrath and Meltdown and completely bypass the most dangerous phase of any boss.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cid does gently caress all in the game he's actually in. FF13's plot is the special kind of mess that you can only get from spending 4 years just making pretty cutscenes and then trying to piece together a story out of them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sprite141 posted:

Ok. Just gonna go ahead and not do the cid mission for the ix event. Went from full to zero on all but two characters from critically weak steiner's loving whatever bullshit.

Gonna have to bring sg on this one. This sucks, as I'm sure with higher leveled dudes I could have survived.

Steiner's Climhazard is the only magic attack in that fight. Bring Shellga and you'll survive it. Or just bring your mage team with Raines BSB and bank on the fact that it only has a 25% use chance below 50%, and the fact you can take him from 50% to dead before he can take a full action.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
What is up with Sanctuary Keeeper's Ultimate Photon Wing? It shouldn't pierce defense, so why is it doing 2k+ through Protect and Wall? How am I supposed to do a CM where I need three breakdown's and Wakka is the only character with Support 4+?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

is there a way to cheese the kaiser dragon if i don't care about mastery or is he uncheesable

How many magic blinks can you spam in the final phase?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

KataraniSword posted:

Find me a realm with good hammers/axes available that isn't FF4/FF5.

XII Hammerhead +++

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

FeralWraith posted:

Also, random dumb thought: an Ultimate-level boss battle against that spoony bard, Edward. Dumb, yes, but I think DeNA could make that poo poo interesting.

Only if there is a CM to solo the fight with Tellah

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sayara posted:

Thanks! Did FFVII one and got Burst for Zack and Super for Vincent. Keeper's gave me Burst for Squall and Super for Ramza, and picked healing bracers for something extra to keep my folks alive.

And guess I'll save my mythril for the upcoming ones next.

You got the SB that the thread is named after. Congrats.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Whole lotta people making GBS threads on Defender itt

Soon you will realize the value of a blink SSB on someone who can use Draw Fire

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wedge explicitly shows up when Biggs hits 80%

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

can you go into excruciating detail how you did it because i tried one (1) time last month and got obliterated and realized that using ninja magic was a Bad Idea and my black magic hones were really poo poo so I didn't try again

It was a long time ago that I beat Kaiser Dragon, but here are the main points:

You really got to hope he goes into Fire mode 2nd or 3rd. If he does, change the crystal to fire resist and then just go to town; the attack he does when changing phases is fire, so everyone should have fire res on anyway, and with the crystal set one person can actually absorb fire
Obviously MBlink is real good, but not essential
You do have to hone your black magic, but when I beat him the only chain -ga was Blizzaga so you can get away with 4* spells

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
They should make him Monk/Ninja/Spellblade/Black Basically if it does fire damage he should be able to use it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Anyone still working on Gigases, here's the single most important thing you need to know about the fight: Thunder Gigas hits way, way harder than the other two, and has ~80k less health. Burn him down first.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I got Delita's BSB. Doesn't look very exciting, but at least it fits in every elemental team imaginable. Guess I've got myself a viable holy team now with Agrias, Delita, and Penelo

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
:siren::siren:

Looks like I just won every torment dungeon

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I got Vayne and Sephiroth BSBs and a dupe. Sephiroth is good for torment dungeons what with the defense piercing, right? Is Vayne's any good? It seems like if nothing else it's an ATK/MAG fist that boosts dark

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Looking for some feedback before I try my hand at Nemesis

Party so far is:
Onion Knight w/ BSB
Terra w/ OSB + Wrath and Bahamut
Y'shtola w/ Stoneskin and Asylum
Vanille w/ BSB
Debuff Flex Slot

Candidates for that final slot are Faris w/ BSB, Vaan w/ BSB, or Penelo w/ BSB if I don't want to proc any counters

I don't have any native Last Stand or Radiant Shield, so that's my major weak spot. I gather that last stand is more important, but even so I'm unsure if Terra alone can dish out 200k while he's blasting for 99999 every turn

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hey, I did it, it happened

Frankly I could only laugh when I saw that rainbow pop open.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm getting real sick of Asura's poo poo. You'd think Dena would have learned by now about bosses that get 4 actions before you can possibly get a Wall off.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't hit her (other than with maybe Slow and a Dance) til you get mitigation up. Her counters are likely what are screwing you over.

No, they're not. Leviathan and Asura both have 600 speed. They each get two attacks before I can do anything. If they decide to direct two of those attacks at the same person non-Celes, I have to restart. Celes can hold on since Basch is gonna be taunting and she doesn't get hit by any magic attacks.

Once I've got all my mitigation up (which takes two rounds for Shellga+Runic, Gaia Cross+Retaliate, Stoneskin II) it's pretty manageable. But getting to that point with nobody on critical health is 1 in 10 at best.

PS. I direct the Gaia Cross at Leviathan because I'm not an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Whew, got it. Key was booting Basch and having Tyro tauntaliate in the back row. Bringing a second source of Wall let Yshtola use Asylum with her 2nd SB, and it was all smooth from there. Tyro's damage was somewhere between gently caress and all, but when you have Raines with two dark boosts you don't really need any other DPS.

• Locked thread