Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Waffles Inc. posted:

Also might as well ask if since the release of KOTFE have there been any additional items or buffs or anything that weren't out then that would make leveling through the main stories even easier? I've got premium and have been using the Major EXP boosts to be way way way ahead of the curve, but figure if there's any extra advantage I can get that'd be nice

What you really want to do is unlock the +XP gear from the Dark vs. Light event. To get the full set involves leveling one new character all the way through KOTFE and doing a few other things like the intro PVP quests (just enough to hit valor 5, it's super easy) and running a lot of solo/easy mode flashpoints. It may or may not feel a little grindy getting the whole checklist done to complete the set, but it's not really difficult, you can solo almost all of it, and it's super worth it. not only does the armor give your future alts a hefty XP boost, but it's got good enough stats that they can level at least 1-50 without even putting mods in it, and barely notice a difference.

Right here is a page that lists the full details. Note that the insane-tier achievements start well past the point where you've completed the XP armor set.

This should be a priority for everyone who plans to play more than one character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

And with the LvD stuff (that XP armor sounds great) do I have enough time to casually grind the requirements for that out while going through a characters story, or should I focus on getting all that done as fast as possible, then go back through the story another time only after I have said armor?

Starting KOTFE will lock you out of a ton of earlier story content, so you don't want to start that too soon if the story interests you.

Getting a ton of XP early on is a good idea, though, because almost all game content will scale to your level. This is my usual method for a new character:

1. Do the full intro planet story; no need to rush it because it's pretty quick already.
2. Hit the fleet and get your advanced class, and do the little breadcrumb quests for crafting and stuff. Click every crew skill trainer for the codex entry, it's free XP.
3. Do the first solo-mode flashpoint for more quick XP. Enjoy the story if you're not burnt out on it.
4. Grab one or two friends and do heroics for a while, it's fast XP, fast money, and you'll have a full set of good, level-appropriate gear after a couple planets.

At this point, depending on how you played, your character might be around... level 35? With double XP, who knows... Anyway, level 35-ish is a good time to continue:

5. Now go back and pick up your class story at the second planet. You can cruise through the entire class story without doing ANY side quests, because you built up a good XP buffer. The level scaling means you still get good XP from the low-level quests. By the time you wrap up the story you'll be at LEAST level 50. With double XP you might even hit 65.

If you want to pause between chapters and do more solo-mode flashpoints, that will give you some extra bang for your buck story-wise, and give you some DvL achievements.

After the class story you can do whatever late-game stuff / expansion content you feel like. (Follow the Dulfy guide if you're going for the XP armor.)

Even playing casually, all this probably won't take more than a week. Given that the event runs a couple more months, you'll have ample time to mess with some alts.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

By scaling, do you mean that when I go into my little side areas it'll all be at my level even if I'm way over the outside mobs on the planet? Because that's pretty cool. I was worried that leveling so fast would put me way above them.

Yes, when you go to any planet (or other quest area) your level is scaled down to the planet's level. You get to keep all your high-level skills and some secondary stats, but it caps your main stats/amor/damage. The cap is exactly what it sounds like, you can be below the cap but not above it. As long as your level and gear are above the planet you're on, you effectively have the best gear for that planet all the time.

That means it's actually to your advantage to be leveled/geared way above the content you're doing. You'll get the same XP from it but you'll kick its rear end. Low-level quests don't "gray out" or decrease in value. You can no longer "out-level" anything in the game. Leveling up only unlocks more content, you lose nothing, so there's no downside to absurdly front-loading your XP on any given character.

The only real caveat is not every quest reward will scale; like if you get a helmet from a level 20 quest it'll be a level 20 helmet. That's not really a problem, because better gear is easy to get, and you can still use armor rewards for the outfit system if they look cool. It can just feel a little anticlimactic. Rule of thumb: when you're offered a choice of quest rewards, pick data crystals; they'll always be useful.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

Oh, I get scaled down instead of it getting scaled up inside the side zones.

Pretty cool anyhow! With the 2x XP I thought I'd pull too far ahead, but I don't think that'll be a problem after all.

You do get scaled UP to the content in a few places, like certain flashpoints and PVP. And there are still a few spots where the content will adjust to your level instead of the other way around.

Inconsistencies aside, it's a pretty solid system. It gives you a ton of freedom to decide what to do and when to do it. Aside from following the basic trail of the class stories, you can do planetary quest chains or side quests completely out of order and still get full experience.

With the heroic quests, you unlock more by leveling up, but they're all good all the time; you get more money and better gear from all of them at higher levels, and as you get near the level cap it starts giving you stuff for the alliance quests from KOTFE.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

What are those? I haven't played since well before KotFE.

They are the same heroic quests that always existed, but now they are weekly, you pick all of them up from one big kiosk on the fleet, and you get instant teleports to the starting location of each one. You can zap from one to the next indefinitely. With the more powerful companions they are pretty easy to solo, but it's worth bringing friends because the rewards get multiplied by the number of group members. They give a fuckload of XP and money, and each one you complete gives you two prize boxes with level-appropriate blue gear. They are an unbelievably fast way to level up, gear up, and get money all at once.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nessin posted:

Wow, did they do nothing to the Flashpoints at any point in the past couple years? I'd had hoped they'd streamlined them as what killed me on the game originally is that they're so grindy and painful, more so than even FFXIV which at least has the excuse of the slower combat and classes with built-in lower damage output.

Actually they have changed them significantly, by introducing the three difficulty tiers.

There's solo mode, which you can pretty much sleepwalk through if you just want to see the stories (and it IS possible to take a group in there if you really want to laugh off the boss fights).

There's tactical mode, which can be done at any level with a partial group, a badly-geared group, an all-DPS group, or whatever sad collection of random dudes the group finder throws at you, with clickable healing nodes for when the going gets rough.

And finally there's hard mode, if you're literally a masochist and you don't value your time or sanity.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints, if only because you'll never get a healer or tank. Almost every single tactical I've had we haven't been able to clear until someone quits and we can summon a healing companion in their place.

I usually do them with one friend and two companions, which is a cakewalk.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Today I learned that to unlock a set in collections you need all the gear at once. You can't just equip one piece and then delete it to save bag space.

The counter goes from 1/8 back to 0/8 if you do. :suicide:

If it was a difficult piece to get, try putting in a customer support ticket. I once deleted a character and then realized he had an extremely rare set in his inventory, still in its boxes. I put in a ticket basically begging for help, and they wrote back "mistakes happen" and restored the character for me the next day. They are extremely cool about stuff like that.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Too early to have a strong opinion about this, but I like the idea that the gear grind is kind of shifting into a level grind, like a character gets stronger just from playing that character, and then they'll get the same drops from anything you decide to do. It leaves more room for different play styles.

Like you don't have to do endgame poo poo, you just have to have an endgame character, and then anything they do at that point, they'll get good drops. The reason I like this is that I never really enjoyed having to beat my head against really hard content just to have gear that works for doing other stuff. I was in a weekly raid group for a few months and I loving hated it, for a few reasons. (The feeling of being obligated to play a video game on a schedule makes my skin crawl.) So I guess whenever they're pissing off raiders, I'm their target audience.

But the other thing is, I do enjoy running ops. I enjoy grouping with friends, and I enjoy the fancy boss fights. But there is nothing more annoying to me than being limited by people's lovely gear. When everybody learns the mechanics and does their role right and you still lose, that is not fun for me at all, especially when I feel like we can't improve our gear unless we accomplish things that our gear is making it difficult to accomplish... it's like a Catch-22. It's that old loot treadmill that all but the most fanatical raid junkies dislike.

I am enjoying the idea that if I simply invest my time in a character, I can gradually put together a really nice set of gear that will expand my options. Or if I'm failing at content because my gear isn't good enough, I can go do random other poo poo and my gear will naturally get better over time, and then I can try again.

I feel like this will make the game more open-ended, and more RPG-like as opposed to MMO-like, which we all know is this game's strength if it has one. The feeling of steady progress is kind of key to the whole RPG experience, and I like the idea that you're not stuck at a certain tier at any point, unable to progress. I like the idea that any road you take will get you to the right place, so it's just a matter of how fast you want to go.

I do have some trepidation when it comes to how all this might affect alts, because I have like 35 characters. But really, there's maybe 4 of them that I stick to when it comes to grinding on endgame stuff, and the rest are just for fuckin' around.

Side note: I am intrigued by the direction they're going with the light vs. dark stuff. It feels very thematically appropriate for Star Wars, and it's cool that your alignment will finally have some consequences beyond what your character looks like, even if they're minor.

Again, this whole ramble is just a very fast first impression. I'm curious to see how it all pans out.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The bit I always loved from that movie is the Emperor's theme. It's so ominous. I wish it was used a little more in Sith cutscenes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

neurotic posted:

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

I'm guessing two major things will happen that will mess up any achievements you try to get later:

1. The special DvL flag will be deleted from all those characters so they will effectively stop being special DvL characters.

2. The DvL packs (edit: and other rewards) will no longer be available at all, and will no longer be awarded even if you could bust out the actual achievements.

Again, these are guesses, but I will be really, really surprised if either one is wrong.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You can see Tatooine's binary sunset reflected in the chrome.

I bought 4 hypercrates today. No regrets!

I also got Senya's lightsaber, but not the pike. I'll probably try to sell it right away while the price is crazy high and sit on the money until the pike gets cheaper. Which it might never.

So nonentity, you can just say $100 of your next paycheck was from me. Merry Christmas.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

So you bought a lot of Hypercrates, the good news is you probably got almost everything else and you should be able to sell the extra stuff at largely inflated prices, because boy howdy is nothing on the GTN cheap right now. :D

Bad news is...inflation will only get worse with the expansion, depending on what the conversion ratio of crystals/comms to credits is. :(

When I buy a stack of Hutt Bux I don't really think of it in terms of buying products, more like a Patreon donation or something. I like what Bioware is doing and I enjoy supporting their efforts. I had a few years where I was broke as gently caress and $15 for a game subscription was my entire month's budget for entertainment. Now that I have disposable income again, I'm happy to throw some of it to the good people who kept me going through those times.

I get a random assortment of cool in-game poo poo in exchange for that, and I feel like that's fair, even when I don't get all the coolest things immediately every time. Some new packs I skip and just pick a few things up on the GTN, others I buy a shitload of them. I liked everything in this pack and went hog wild, cause it's been a while.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I just listed my Senya lightsaber on the GTN...

It's literally the only Senya weapon the GTN on my entire server. I listed it at 100 million and I'm wondering if that's actually too low, given the circumstances. I don't have a baseline for being the only dude with a super rare weapon. I have no idea what the lightsaber or the pike will actually go for once other people start listing them. If I'm lucky, some rich rear end in a top hat will buy it, and I can wait a couple weeks and buy the pike for half that.

I actually really like the regular lightsaber, too, and I'd just keep it if things were different. It's just that I have a really good lightsaber collection already, but my pike collection is holding steady at zero.

Hell, if I'm really lucky, I can buy BOTH after selling the one.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I ended up selling my regular saber for 89 million (83 after "taxes"), and i figure at the very least I'll be able to buy the same thing back for a hell of a lot less. The pike dropped from a low price of 275 million to 180 million in like the last hour on my server, so i'm still crossing my fingers that it keeps on dropping until I can buy one with my profit from the other one.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

What I can't figure out in all this is why it is wrong or bad for writers to like the characters they write or try to make them interesting. Like what exactly is the alternative, everybody is bland and lovely and the player character is the only special person in the universe? Isn't that exactly what makes a lot of other video game writing bad? Am I seeing this right, that people are literally angry about a character getting a cool entrance?

Play through Makeb again and tell me how cool and engaging it was to have a bland and forgettable supporting cast.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sombrerotron posted:

BioWare: "We really like this character and hope you do, too."
Players: "We don't like this character."

Even if this were universally true, which it isn't, they are not assholes for trying to write likable characters.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think any reasonable fan of this game would recognize that it has its pros and cons, but it's generally agreed that the story aspect is the one big selling point. It seems like every character and situation is pissing you off in some way. If you're not enjoying the story, you really would be better off just playing something else, because SWTOR is going to keep on being the same game no matter how much you play it.

At the very least, you could maybe keep this continuous stream of negativity to yourself, or find another outlet for it, cause you're fuckin' bumming people out, man.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Dalris Othaine posted:

someone talking about something they dislike on something awful dot com???? burn the witch

I've definitely aired my grievances about games before, but I'll typically make one or two posts... and then stop playing the drat thing and move on to a game I do like. I can't really relate to spending months on end narrating blow-by-blow why I don't like a game that I'm actively playing. Like dude, just do something else. Play another game, watch a movie, listen to a funny podcast, go for a walk, I dunno. It's your leisure time, do something you enjoy.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Nerd of Prey you're not even on Jedi Covenant, are you?

Nah, I'm just getting in the holiday spirit. I kind of forgot I had that alt and then saw him today and went "oh poo poo, I should post that."

I think I might have some placeholder characters on JC that I never play. If you guys want to give me fabulous prizes I won't say no :twisted:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

prefect posted:

Yes, I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it's available in the Cartel Market.

As long as you're playing imperial-side, there are a ton of outfits using variations of the same model that are random drops, quest rewards or crafted items, maybe even vendor gear, so it's not necessary to drop hutt bux to approximate that look. There are a few little details specific to the cartel market version, and it's certainly a simple way to get it, but you will be able to slap together a good Imperial uniform without breaking the bank.

Here's the TOR Fashion page for the cartel set. Check the section at the bottom for similar items. I don't even think that's a comprehensive list, because I know there are versions with less armor plating around the collar and other differences. The dye system makes it a lot easier to get the look you want.

I have an agent character that has always worn some version of the Imperial uniform, and I generally prefer mixing and matching the chestpiece with other stuff.

Edit:
Here's my current look for that character:

Outfit:
TH-16A Master Medic Suit (drop)
Covert hand/wrist (cartel packs)
[Random] Synthleather Belt (drop)
Scout's Leggings (vendor)
Theron Shan's Boots (cartel packs)

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2016

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sticking to a character concept is so much more fun than picking choices based on light/dark.

One of my favorites was a bounty hunter who I played as a problem-solver above all else, like when stuff goes out of control in your neighborhood he's the dude you call to clean up the mess. He was generally a good guy, tried to resolve things peacefully so as not to create any new problems, but absolutely did not tolerate loose ends. If somebody seemed too unstable he'd take them out. Any time somebody said something like "this isn't over!" He'd be like, "ahhh, you shouldn't have said that..." *BLAM* There were some really good scenes that came out of that.

The only real flaw in that story was of course loving Skadge. No way that psycho would have made it onto my ship in one piece if there was any say in it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Check out my video review of KOTOR 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbz4vMG0iE

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A group of two players and two companions is ideal for running tactical flashpoints, if you can handle running to the instance portals.

You also get significantly more XP and money for running heroics in a group. The fastest way to level is to have a friend!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode? I leveled most of my characters with their companion in heal mode, its brainless if a bit slow. I know if you level up the companion's influence or are well geared you can run in DPS mode. I did that for my healing smuggler run and still had no downtime. But tank mode seems really slow. Maybe if you are the assassin/shadow with backstab abilities? Or for a group flashpoint if you are down a person?

I'm usually well undergeared so that effects my choices, I think my smuggler went from a level 20 weapon to a level 55 legacy weapon from SoR during my latest sprint to 65.

I remember making a huge post about this in the old thread, but basically a tank companion is ideal for smuggler/agent and consular/inquisitor. For the ranged AC's because you can just let the companion round everybody up and then AOE them down, and for the stealth AC's they help with positioning so you can backstab constantly for maximum damage.

There's zero downtime with a tank companion. You don't take damage, and if they start taking too much, mounting heals them to full instantly. This includes rocket boost, which activates instantly and can be used indoors on a relatively short cooldown. You can cancel rocket boost with your regen ability, which tops you off and gets your companion ready for the next pull.

So it just goes kill everything, tap rocket boost, tap regen, repeat. This works for just about any class, really, but a healer is good in most situations too, and DPS is good for a lot of classes if you're doing easy stuff and neither of you is taking a ton of damage.

I like using a DPS companion with a DPS guardian/juggernaut, because even outside tank spec they are extremely resilient and don't really need a tank or healer unless you're doing really tough content.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I'm thinking of coming back and giving this game a shot, having only got to about level 20 in a couple of the classes, just because I want a good bioware story in the star wars universe. That said, I've heard some people say the game is dead or dying, and there's no use jumping on board a sinking ship. Is this the case?

Short answer: No.

Having hopped around a few different servers lately just to do easy DvL stuff for free prizes, I have noticed that a few of them are truly deserted, like "I'm the only person on the fleet" deserted, but then others are thriving, so just don't pick the wrong one. Server transfers were deeply discounted for a long time, and the entire player base kinda shuffled itself off the low-pop servers. Anybody still trying to play there will probably cry about it being dead.

There's also a bit of a pre-expansion lull going on, but that's hitting in just a couple weeks. There is sure to be a big spike in activity across the board.

Now is a great time to jump on and bust out the DvL event stuff while there's still double XP, and be leveled up in time for the new content.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Hey Nerd of Prey, Waldorf Sixpence, and DrunkenGarbageCan - what servers do you guys play on again? I'm pretty sure Drunken is on Harbinger.

90cc and you can come visit the true goon guild!

I play on The Ebon Hawk with a small group of friends. I have placeholder alts spread across a few different servers, which I have used to get some free DvL prize boxes lately, in case anything super rare pops out. No real luck so far, but my jedi on Jedi Covenant got TWO black/black dyes out of cantina crates.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My main character was stuck on the Arcann fight last night, but after reading about it and failing a few times I managed to get through it. The trick is to use the damage reflect buff from your special Satele/Marr weapon (assuming you got a version with that ability... some people are screwed) and to not use the bash ability.

You can use the shield to break his bubble in the first phase and to keep you alive when the damage reflect is on cooldown, but if you ever use the bash it will bug out the fight. It takes a while letting Arcann damage himself to death, but it works.

I should note that the reason so many people are in this situation with their main characters is that the DvL event so heavily discouraged playing your main characters. I'm not super butthurt about this because it was fun playing new characters for a while, but I'm a little leery of this thing where they wiped the achievements in case they do the event again. Seems like you won't get to use your old characters OR your new characters, and I don't think I'll be starting a whole third set. Enough is enough.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

Not to mention that (final chapter spoilers)it feels pretty good siccing spirit-Vaylin on Valkorian at the end there.

Yeah, they're both assholes, but it was fun making them fight each other to the death.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think the most telling thing about the Sith in this game is that you have Sith Lords as major enemies in all 8 class stories.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Adaptabullshit posted:

The writer of the Imperial Agent story wrote 2 posts about creating the story and the inspirations behind it: part 1 and part 2

This was cool, thanks.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Straight Outta Eternia

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Two different sets there, the Naga Sadow and Jori Daragon sets, with some cheap gaudy dyes. Those are not the most easy sets to get, but they are a lot of fun!

Edit: I was pretty bummed to learn that Master Ranos can't use vibroswords. In a perfect world she would also be using a Cathar Honor Sword in that picture.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 14, 2016

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I got an email survey about this game, and answered the basic questions. At the end after I typed a response in the "what changes would you like to see" box I got an error message saying "your answer must contain 50 characters. I count only 595 characters." I changed my answer to "please fix this survey" and that worked. I guess my actual grievances will need to wait.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Since it became so easy to stockpile xp on an alt and breeze through the class stories uninterrupted, I've done a lot of that in the past year. But having played through the new stories, I keep noticing how dated the designs are in the vanilla areas of the game. I'm just talking aesthetics of characters and environments.

The artists have done such kickass work in the past 5 years, but none of it has applied retroactively. Playing through old areas you still see everybody in stupid jumpsuits without any cool 3D details, carrying weird chunky weapons. There were only like 10 kinds of speeders so the same ones are parked everywhere. There's a lot of huge empty-looking rooms with nothing but right angles, very flat lighting and no actually dark areas. I could go on, but I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I'd just really like to see the game's artists given another pass at all that, now that there are such vastly improved assets available in every category.

To me the biggest missed opportunity in the old game is Nar Shaddaa. It's basically Coruscant with a red filter and a smattering of neon. It would be such a quick fix to make it truly spectacular. Step one, deeper shadows. Step two, heavier/darker atmospheric haze. Step three, replace the blocky "ground" between buildings with a layer of fog for a "bottomless" effect. Compare this concept art with screenshots of the game...

It looks so great, and it's really not that different. The lights just pop because the darks are actually dark.

The night scenes on Zakuul completely nailed that noir atmosphere by basically doing the same things. One of my favorite details there is the speeders that occasionally fly low overhead with moving light sources. It's extremely Blade Runner. Bright lights on the background "traffic" in cities would look so rad.

What I would give to be able to mod this game like Skyrim or Fallout... This is a hobby of mine, and I'm very proud of some of the work I've done in terms of character design, level design and setting a tone with lighting and color. So like, I hate to be an armchair developer, but I literally am one, so what the gently caress am I gonna do. (Of course I have geeked the gently caress out over Strongholds; it's one of the main reasons I still play, becaise it IS like modding SWTOR!)

EDIT: I want to give a quick shout out to Taris, which was the best-looking part of the old game and still holds up. Say what you will about the quests or whatever but the design of that place is like nothing I've seen before, and it is cool as gently caress. If you've never taken a minute to just look up and appreciate the skyline there, do yourself a favor.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 24, 2016

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Zelmel posted:

Murder all NPCs, including every possible mandalorian.

This reminds me of a running joke my friends and I have. If we're running around and somebody goes out of their way to wipe out a group of weak or non-hostile NPCs, intentionally or not, we all start yelling "No WITNESSES!"

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Asimo posted:

It's also the most divided game, considering they only ever relased half of it. :iamafag:

And really a lot of dumbness in the franchise - even in many official spinoffs and licensed products - comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the force, assuming there's a yin-yang sort of light/dark balance, when it's actually that there's "the force" that is the omnipresent bond between life and all that, and "the dark side" that's a corruption of this. It's not some sort of separate but equal thing, if you use the dark side you are inherently broken. Look at all the sith and villains throughout the actual movies - the Emperor is a scheming, power mad tyrant who gets his only joy from proving that others are as morally compromised as he is. Darth Vader is ruled by his fear and doubt, and even in the original trilogy he admits he hasn't even attempted to redeem himself because he doesn't think he deserves it. And Kylo Ren- ... okay, this one's a gimme. I won't go so far and say that the main subtext of the series is that the galaxy desperately needs mental health services, but it's telling that the heroes only win through the trust, understanding, and support of their friends.

I mean yeah it's obvious that Kreia is feeding the main character a load of bullshit but the whole narrative of KotOR2 (including things from lots of other characters beside her) is still trying to deconstruct the series from a place that misunderstands it. And I'd rather take media that flubs something but does it earnestly and entertaining (like SWTOR here, or some of the other spinoffs) than a dreary, grinding, nihilistic slog of a game that seems to be giving a taunting middle finger to the property it's supposed to be part of.

This was a real good post, particularly the bit I bolded there. This is the huge problem I have with KOTOR 2. Taken alone, it's a decent sci-fi adventure with good characters. It just gets Star Wars wrong at every turn.

I think Rogue One was a good example of how Star Wars can have some moral ambiguity to it and still get the basics right. The rebels are haunted by the terrible things they've done fighting the Empire. They constantly fight among themselves (Cassian straight-up murders other rebels more than once onscreen) and they're basically terrorists. But it was written by people who understand Star Wars.

I think the Dark Side is best explained as a barrier you can cross. There isn't a gradated light-dark spectrum really, there's no real gray, but it's not as simple as "good and bad" either. "Light vs. Dark" is like surfing a wave vs. wiping out. People are complicated and flawed, and they have to be really careful when they use the Force, because one slip will gently caress you up big time. The Jedi are all about self-control because if you start dabbling in this power you put yourself at risk. The Dark Side corrupts the user, makes them insane, but the "light side" doesn't exactly "turn you good." You can absolutely be a morally gray Force user, but that's not "using the gray side," it's just a risky path because you're probably straying closer to that barrier. I'd imagine it's more difficult that way.

Getting "dark side points" for kissing a girl works as a video game mechanic, but it's not a very good interpretation of the mythos.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Good news: If you transfer one character, all the legacy unlocks go with 'em. I can specifically confirm getting HK-51 on multiple servers that way. And transfers are still deeply discounted last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

180cc. You have to wait 2 days between transfers though.

Notes on this:

180 is the cost for a "round trip." The cost is trivial right now. I think it comes out to around 75 cents one way.

I don't think the 2-day wait is actually true. I don't think there's a cooldown on it at all. I've done the double-transfer thing a few times while this promotion was going on (mostly for extremely cheap name changes) and I've always been able to move the character back pretty much immediately. Like I spent a few minutes messing around with their inventory and stuff in between, but as soon as I tried it it worked fine. Could have been a glitch?

• Locked thread