Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

bear is driving! posted:

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based.

Just grab them while he's busy spinning the stick like a ballerina and throw them in a wall or in a hole.
If he's not letting you the time to do it, let him drain his stamina and/or parry 'em. The timing can require a little practice, but with no stamina, he's a sitting duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Is it really a microtransaction if you can't buy them with actual money? All that stuff is using ingame currency and I don't think there are plans to sell that stuff for money.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I have a pc key left if someone wants it. You'll have to either pm me your uplay name or say tell me in the thread and I'll add you.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Corte posted:

PM sent

k accept the uplay invite request and a mail will be sent to the email you're registered with for uplay.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Corte posted:

Done, nothing yet. I seem to go through 3 different loving portals for this one thing...

That's weird. I'm not seeing you as has accepted my request yet.
e: nevermind there we go! Sending.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Some people are really angry. A guy was yelling at a bot for not tagging a capture point when it was last left fighting off all of the other team. When this was pointed out at him he just called us all worthless idiots and quit. v:shobon:v

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
That's on purpose. Watch where you swing that thing.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Loopoo posted:

How the gently caress do you type in all-chat? Pressing T just brings up team-chat.

It's not documented anywhere but pressing Tab will change the chat to different types (team/group/all).

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Scoss posted:

Game is fun but has serious connectivity problems. It seems to all be running on peer to peer, and about 50% of the time when you queue for 4v4 you get stuck in a lobby and it just spins its wheels forever, you have to alt F4 out of the game.

It looks to be some kind of bug where the lobby doesn't understand something's off and won't get into a game. I don't think it has anything to do with peering. It looks like there was a live patch earlier that fixed this for the most part.
Network seems to be behaving all sorts of weird. Previous tests didn't have nearly the amount of people that the closed beta has, so things going crazy isn't too surprising. That's what a mass beta test is for after all.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

SweetBro posted:

This was an incredibly easy set of fights, after 3-0ing the guy twice he called it quits.

Is this weird? I generally do a 2 out of 3 and cycle to a new person. That is, unless I completely outclass a person. I've never thought that a newbie might want to spar for a while even if he gets completely wrecked. I should change my policy on rematching duels.

Also, for variety's sake, I tend to swap characters between rematches no matter whether I've won the previous match or lost it. Scrub move or fun toss-up?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

SweetBro posted:

If you completely destroy me 3-0 consistently then I'm all the more interested in keeping on fighting. It generally means you're using some sort of strategy or tactic, or I'm very lacking in a specific area that I can improve on by focusing on how you're able to deal damage to me and how you're avoiding damage. Generally the bigger the skill gap is, the more I can learn. While I don't think everyone has the same mentality, but this is something that was common for dota/fighting game players circa 2007 era where there was no match making and the only way to get better was to learn from getting completely annihilated by people 10 times better than you.

Gonna keep this in mind

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Genocyber posted:

Because they couldn't be legitimately complaining about a lack of black characters in the game, no siree.

You can change the skin color of all characters btw.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Dosvidanya posted:

what does the laurel around a player's level mean, host?

It's the prestige level. It means the person got to level 20 and reset the leveling counter. It takes a while and it's surprising that there are already people with this thing one.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Game owns but really needs a "Toggle guard" option.

Double check the options, I could have sworn that it this was in there.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

panda clue posted:

Been playing a shitload of Peacekeeper in 1v1 - she owns. Game owns. I very, very rarely lose in 1v1 at this point. Anyone interested in seeing some cool Peacekeeper play, I'll be streaming for a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

A poking Peacekeeper is ridiculously hard to block

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
If you can do it, cleaning up a lane gives you a whole lot more permanent points than slowly adding them from sitting at a capture point. You can kill way more than 1 per second with zone attacks, especially with some of the characters like the conqueror.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

work the balls Sally posted:

Nice tips, thank you. What all can be canceled? What I'm running into now is people dodging the shield charge, which almost guarantees I'll eat the following hit.

Another tip: if you're going up against bad blockers such as assassins, you might want to try the infinite light chain on them. It's about 50/50 on them being good enough to defend against it or get demolished by a chain of 6-7 hits (by loving up, or by blocking but getting hit by the next uninterrupted swing because of an overly fancy riposte). The infinite light chain doesn't work too well on characters that can break chains on block though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Indecisive posted:

that's only true against bad players really, anyone can parry which interrupts the chain

In theory yeah, but in practice it looks like once about two hits get in, the acceleration on the infinite makes people choke really hard on proper blocks and parries and is hilarious. Even if they manage to parry at some point, you come out of the exchange a winner.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

Read from bottom to top.

The cause: a man was very angry that my Nobushi was playing passively* against his Peacekeeper which was in non-stop rush mode. This is the entire message string, I really didn't send him anything to trigger this.

*Passively: Using back poke, attempting to maintain distance.

The game really brings the worst out of people doesn't it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Cheating probably won't be much of a problem, if at all.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
You should wait to quote me after release, once y'all can verify yourselves.
I'll make it clearer: some cheating might not be out of reach of some people in training mode, but it gets a whole lot harder once another actual player is in the same match. There's some pretty robust sanity checking happening with the other players. Cheating gets a whole lot harder when you need to cheat the other players too, especially if any particular client doesn't trust a whole lot about the other clients.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 2, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think you actually know what you're talking about. This is a P2P server model, it'll be trivial(for the people who make a living on creating hacks) to inject code into.

There's a lot of misunderstandings about the nature of how the peer to peer part of the communication between the pool of players is being used by the game. If everything was entirely peer to peer it might have been a lot easier to do cheaty stuff, but a lot of permissions are happening server side.
I can't offer proof. Things'll get a lot clearer on release.

As for auto blocking scripts though, yeah that might be a lot harder to stop 100%. Basically anything with plausible deniability. I'm talking mostly about overtly cheaty stuff like ridiculous stats or speed hacking.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 2, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Zzulu posted:

How many viking classes can you even make

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O

Axes are cool

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Paying for DLC with real money is "Strong-arming into additional purchases"?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
This is my Warden

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
While maps and modes are free and the main game characters are very cheap to unlock with in game currency, I don't think the DLC characters will be as cheap. You've paid for the main game characters, after all. Expect the price of dlc characters to be fairly high for in-game currency.

Gold edition comes with 30 days of champion status. I never ended up trying the champion status stuff since the previous tests were so short and I wanted to spend the money on specific finishkills instead. I forget what the bonuses are on that thing except that it gave you (and other players) an exp boost. I don't think I've seen champion status go for under 2-3000 steel so it was always sort of pricey. Has it been proven worth it?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Ubi Montreal are doing the meat of the game. Blue Byte was pulled in to specifically help bring the pc version to the level that pc players expect (extra controller options, alt-tab for full screen, graphic settings, etc). Else, the pc version might have been a little short on features that aren't an issue on console versions. Ubi has a working pc version, Blue Byte's just making it pc++.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
What a good berserker fight ends up like (lots of feinting essentially)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0EQC_Pkc0

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Evil Canadian posted:

Actually now I think about it my biggest problem with the game is the announcer in duels.

Announcer will go ROUND 1, ROUND 2, etc, but I never hear "FIGHT!" after the round number. Its very stressful because I keep expecting to hear it :shobon:

He also vaguely sounds like Yoda..

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Conqueror and Raider being beefy and high potential damage, but are too slow to reliably get off more then light attacks that barely do any damage compared to fast attacks from a light class and probably suffer at higher skill levels because of the slow attacks being easily avoided.

Conquerer is actually the character that can most reliably land strong attacks in the game because he can freely land them at the same time as blocking, and it comes out fast once charged up. A high skill conqueror is ridiculously hard to beat, it's just a slow to kill stuff since it requires playing so defensively. What you're thinking is more in line with one of the other characters that wasn't in the closed beta.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
It's more of an ironic name, really.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The open beta will have tons of new players. You can jump right in with duel and probably hit quite a few people just starting off as well. You have the advantage of the information in this thread, so there's no reason to shy from duel. Especially the first day.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
It should be hanging out in your steam games list as "For Honor Open Beta".
Or uplay.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

OctaMurk posted:

How do I play against level 2 or 3 bots in the Multiplayer Duel mode? Can't figure it out for the life of me

custom game in the main menu

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Alternatively, go ahead and play some pvp and don't worry about other players' skills. You'll get good players who will wreck you and you'll get people who are just as new as you are. Win or lose doesn't matter -- heck, I don't think it has much of an affect on anything at this point except for helping the game figure out who it should prioritize matchmaking you with.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Buschmaki posted:

The raider is able to string an unblockable at any point in a light combo by doing his zoning attack, it's extremely broken.

It's not broken: relying on it too much will be your undoing.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Kawabata posted:

If you've watched Lassix or Oroboro (among others) playing the game you will see them complain about ignored inputs from time to time. I mean it's pretty good right now but if they adjust the peer to peer netcode to the point where it's as good as having dedicated servers they're loving wizards.

Oh and maybe don't give 4 different scammy-looking purchase options so that the game doesn't die faster than Evolve? Thanks in advance Ubi, loving your game so far.

If there's ignored inputs, that's more likely a fuckup and not a netcode problem. If the game decides that it needs to rollback because the simulations aren't synced anymore, it's way more obvious than an input not registering.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

MikeC posted:

Sorry I need some clarification on this move list thing. Are these move lists combos unblockable if you execute it correctly after the first one hits like other fighting games? I am confused for example since the Warden has a hero specific entry saying that "Second side Light attack is guaranteed if the first one hits" So move chains are not actually combos?

Like it says, it only combos if the first attack hits. The rule of thumb is, if your target blocks a light attack, your combo gets broken. If your target blocks a strong attack, you can keep your combo going. You'll find out that there are exceptions to these, such as shields breaking a strong attack combo as well.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

P2P is awful. It is the worst. Companies use P2P because they are very cheap and won't pay for servers. According to google you can get a high quality server for around $3,000. That is surely a very small portion of their sales, so it's astonishingly greedy of them not to pay for one. All of my favorite games (basically the DICE catalogue) use servers and they are technical masterpieces. The only thing better than servers is a server browser, because that involves multiple servers. FACT: No game that has used P2P has sold more than 100,000 copies. Nobody will buy this game, especially me. I'm joining a Steam group called "Boycott For Honor" right now to prove it. Ubsioft will probably file for bankruptcy this year. In three months you can ask any gamer "hey man, do you play For Honor?" and they will say "nah, I never even got Honor 1-3!" That is how poorly this game will sell and how dead it will be.

On the other hand...

P2P is fine. I've played lots of P2P and it always worked great. I played about 20 minutes of 1v1 the other day and my ping was 0, so I can tell you with authority that every conceivable mode and player count must also work great because P2P is so adaptable. No I've never heard of Halo. FACT: every fighting game (the singular genre to which this game identifies) has used P2P and nobody has ever complained about it before, have they?. Ask any fighting game player out there about P2P in Street Fighter, they will say "wonderful, no problems. I can always react in eight frames or less, it's delightful". That is how good P2P is. Anyway this game does have a server. It handles ALL matchmaking and ALL character and gear progression, didn't you know that? Please do your research next time before you criticize. I will play this game for years, as will hundreds of thousands of other gamers who recognize how satisfactory the P2P system is. Just look at other fighting games that maintain large, active player bases well after release such as

nice meltdown

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I got into a duel with an orochi as a conqueror. The guy asked me if I play Dark Souls because I was apparently r1 spamming a lot -- the conqueror has an light chain infinite which is trivial to break but he kept getting recked by it. I humored him and started using only heavies instead, to which he said that my style totally is Dark Souls because I'm turtling a lot. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I got matched with a dude in brawl who would intentionally (and constantly) get the two fights mixed up together by getting in the way and intentionally swapping targets once in a while. It looked very efficient at angering the other team; It sure worked for that match.