Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game rules real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked that they address the fact that he's blasian and it isn't to make fun of him for being black, I thought that was nice of them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Press [SPACE] to interface with ledge

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I didn't do any story poo poo to get it, I just jumped on some rooftops the first time I went there.

The room it's in opens up as part of the final mission in the first act of the story. Getting it from the window is almost certainly unintended. But it's more fun to cheap it out and nab it early because then you can run at your enemies going NYEH HEH HEH with your skeleton gun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite way to get around has become dash -> jump -> air dash -> double jump. You go crazy fast with a couple speed gems stacked up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I jammed as many elements onto one gun as I could and it was a terrible idea and did very little damage overall but it looked real pretty with enemies exploding into starbursts of varying colors and particle effects.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

My favourite exchange from the first game will always be this one:

How do the side characters compare to Hoji's writing?

Ehhh. I don't like Kamiko as much as I liked Hoji but they're about the same in terms of back-and-forths with The Wang.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah, had a feeling that was going to be the case. Pre-release materials didn't sell me on the character at all.

They actually made a really smart decision regarding the back-and-forths: At the start of a mission you have to hold E to have the starting conversation, so if you don't wanna hear them you can just not hit the button and it'll add them to your encyclopedia for you to listen to later.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They hit enemies multiple times per swing which makes them real good if you're trying to inflict an element on an enemy or doing one of the special moves for bigass damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xaris posted:

Gotcha. Didn't realize that. And by Special Moves you mean Vortex and Forward Lunge thing?

Yeah. The chain hits don't do as much raw damage as the main attack but if you've got an element on it does do the full effect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Where the hell is the multishot gem for the sawn-off? I have the two-shots-at-once gem but it only fits the pump action.

It'll fit in both. You have to have a free slot for a weapon for it to show up on the menu, and your sawn-off is probably full.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nope. Even with zero gems in the sawn-off, if I click the + icon from the sawn-off directly I don't get the firing mode section at all. :(

What's the gem you're trying to put into it called? There are two multi-shot gems, one for multi-barreled weapons that fires all the barrels at once, and one for everything else that consumes double ammo to fire 2 shots at a time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, okay. I don't think there is a guaranteed place to get it, it's just random. It does pop up in the shops though so check those every time you come back to the hub.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
8-15 hours is short??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way to change the FOV on your arms? Some of the guns are so huge they take up an entire third of the screen and it's pretty annoying. :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I beat the game. Total playtime of 9 hours, did all the side missions. I was kind of rushing it at the end because I was getting a bit worn out on the constant super fast combat. The ending was... not great. Really the story in general sucked, and the humor did carry it most of the way through but it felt real strained.

I really enjoyed it, I found the game very fun. The one complaint I do have is that it's pretty easy, I regret playing on the normal difficulty and I think people playing for the first time should probably do so on the hard difficulty. The hardest one looks like it just turns enemies into spongy monsters and Wang into a paper bag containing some blood, so I don't really want to do that. Looking forward to playing through it again but with swords instead of guns.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's story-related. Specifically you get it in the final story mission of the second act.

edit: (ending spoilers) Man, I really just can't get over how crazy abrupt and unsatisfying the ending is. There's nothing after the credits, right? The dragon that busts through the gate diving at Wang is the end of the ending?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VolticSurge posted:

I guess they're contractually obligated to have dat sequel hook in there. Seems to be a prerequisite for a lot of modern shooters. Even the new Doom ends on a massive sequel hook.

I guess it just bothers me that the ending is completely inconclusive as to why what happened did happen. Even for a sequel hook it just ends way, way the hell too soon after its events have transpired. Is the dragon what happened to Kamiko's soul?? Was she playing Lo Wang for a fool the whole time?? Were the demons playing Lo Wang and Kamiko for a fool the whole time?? Was her soul not powerful enough to fix the gate?? Did they run out of time because they were fighting the goddess lady?? Was that the gate being busted or the gate starting to be fixed?? Why does it do a cut to black ending not more than 30 seconds after the most important thing in the whole plot happens???? I'm gonna be bummed if they put out a "here's what happened after the ending" DLC campaign and it picks up exactly where the ending stops. I do want that DLC, but I would still be disappointed if the story begins by explaining the actual ending.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brackhar posted:

nd general confusion about how this story and world at all relate to how Shadow Warrior 1 left the universe.

The game's story definitely does feel like we're actually playing Shadow Warrior 3 and they expected us to play 2 first. Which is a weird feeling to have.

Zagrod posted:

I'll pass this one along

Sweet!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nice!!

edit: Huh, interesting, the weapon FOV uses vertical FOV just like the normal setting. Setting it to 65 (a little over 90 horizontal) pretty much fixes the problem, by default it's set to 50 which is really cramped.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I noticed something interesting while running around in photo mode:

There are some dragon statues hanging out over the side near Smith's place on, y'know, Dragon Mountain. If you zoom out over the edge you can see there's a cave under the cliff.

If you do a pretty well-timed double jump you can get down there. The cave doesn't go anywhere, but explosive barrels and stuff spawn in it which I find to be pretty odd. You can see Smith's workshop through a closed gate inside the cave.

Also the dragon statues are fully modeled and embedded in the rock.

The reason I find this interesting is because (ending spoilers) the dragon that attacks Wang at the very end of the game looks very similar to the statues. It's hard to tell if it's exactly the same or not because it's in shadow but at least the head is. Whether it's just reused assets or something deeper, I dunno. Either way it's pretty nifty.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shock stuns enemies and makes them do a comical blblbllblb wiggling animation has two functions: a) it looks very funny and b) roots them in place. It also does a little bit of damage over time. It's extremely useful on the big mech enemies or other tall foes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can also use second chance to live forever by having max rank in the skill and a soul mod gem that reduces the skill's cooldown by 60 seconds. Second chance recharges instantly after you use it to revive yourself, ergo you cannot die unless you straight-up don't fire a shot after it procs. :downs:

edit: By the way, if you happen to get the bug where you're stuck in a ledge and you're on PC, do the following: Enable the dev console with ctrl + ~, then set s_fly_mode to 1 (s_fly_mode is noclip). Then just back out of the ledge and set it back to 0.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

I may try going harder on melee if I keep going after beating the game because the sword you get at the end of the second to last mission is really, really good. I do need to find the last 8 weapons I didn't get...

They'll be in either Larry's shop or with Hideo. If you do a side mission but don't kill the unique boss, the weapon or skill they drop becomes available at the vendors when you do the next story mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After some testing because it was bugging me, I can confirm that miss rate straight-up just means the accuracy of your gun. It doesn't do anything except make your gun have lower base accuracy the higher it is. Put a "-miss rate %" gem on a shotgun and watch the spread indicator magically shrink!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agnostalgia posted:

why is it not called spread

The term "miss rate" is from Diablo, I think? I think. In that game it makes sense to have that phrase because it literally is the chance that your attacks will miss the enemy depending on the level gap between you two.

But it doesn't really make any sense here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a gun up there. You'll get it later, but if you want to cheese it and get it now it's sitting right next to a window and you can just barely grab it if you can make it up there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the weapon upgrade gems would've been much better if they had more of an effect. As is, the grey gems are straight-up not even worth using, and blues are pretty close too. Aside from the miss rate ones I barely noticed a difference when stacking weapon upgrade gems. The rest of the gem types are pretty much fine though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

Is co op something you have to get into from the word go (or not, but if you and your buddy are too disparate level wise then :getout:) or is it friendly? Thinking about picking this up for me and my brother, but we'd only be able to play together once in a while.

Player stats don't affect damage at all and enemies don't have levels so your level doesn't matter. Co-op is drop in/drop out from any point in either person's campaign, and mission progress made as a partner doesn't carry over to their own game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That happens to all the weapons you can use it on (grenade launcher included), it kinda sucks. I guess it's to keep you from like quadrupling your DPS with just one mod with the double-barrel shotguns. It pairs real well with the skill that passively reloads your guns while you're switched away from them, though, because that skill also affects the cooldown you get from the mod.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm guessing this is counting the dlc weapons like the chainsaw sword and the gold guns.

There are gold guns?

edit: Oh, they're from the deluxe edition.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

Whoever said Hard was a good starting difficulty sits upon a throne of lies, I'm getting absolutely loving trashed trying to recover Smith's instructions for tinysword :saddowns:

That one was inexplicably filled with 'superior' or 'elite' or whatever enemies for me too, assuming you're talking about part 2. I ended up having to just make a run for it. iirc that's also the one with the spider cave that's got a fuckmillion mega-arachnids and one gigantic frost one too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dual-wield-assault-rifles amulet gets pretty fuckin' nuts when you equip it alongside some of the late game assault rifles. The very last one you get from the random gen boss in the final couple missions shreds anything easily with that amulet equipped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked and will always remember the ending to The Sopranos. Does that mean I will like SW2's?

Allow me to phrase it this way.

If you didn't like the ending of The Sopranos: You're not gonna like the ending of Shadow Warrior 2 for most of the same reasons

If you liked the ending of The Sopranos: Y'know how people who don't like how it ended complain about the same stuff every time? You're about to understand why they're complaining

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SweetBro posted:

You either a real badass ninja standing in a sea of your enemies corpses with your blood soaked swords/claws, ninja amulet equipped, and a staggering erection in your pants. Or you a bitch rear end fucc-boi.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my dual-wielded deagles that are constantly spitting exploding bullets into the faces of all of my enemies

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, has anyone bothered listening to all the numbers Kamiko rattles out when you're first rescuing her to find out if they mean anything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neat!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

Damnit, seriously, I put all of my first points into Karma Collector. Now I feel compelled to restart. :(

You can re-spec your skills at the store for a pretty meager amount of money.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

They've cleaned it up as much as they can but the whole series is couched in the idea that Chinese and Japanese are the same thing so I doubt there's much more they can do.

It's at least partially intentional, I'm sure. Reboot Shadow Warrior is more of a pastiche of how western audiences view eastern character tropes, while classic Shadow Warrior prefers a much lower brow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can totally ignore everything in the 'hate' category, so yes.

edit: Ignoring gems is a pretty bad idea when it comes to having fun imo, but you don't need them.

• Locked thread