Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Squidster posted:

It's not likely to ever get an official North American release, so we're dependent on committed fans to do their best.

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1491509642622558208?t=0r0yIbCIb7b9x9ygv3AAMg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I like when takako and her girlfriend hang out and the comic is pretty okay when she's not hanging out with her girlfriend as well

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Youremother posted:

Well, since TESB wrapped up a lot faster than I had anticipated, I'm going to share a new comic that I found recently that I fell in love with instantly. It's a combination of some of this thread's favorite things: A gay food manga! Introducing:

She Loves To Cook, And She Loves To Eat

I love gay food manga and everyone should read it, but this manga is licensed in English and is currently being published by yenpress (volume three released literally 3 days ago) so maybe it shouldn't be posted?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

the holy poopacy posted:

I was genuinely interested in the premise at first and I was pretty disappointed by the direction it took--even notwithstanding the possible fetishistic overtones, it's set up as a much less grounded telling than e.g. green dadrock lesbians. For what it's worth, I'm tempted to go buy it now that I know it's available and apparently better than its first impression lets on.

I will say, having read the first two volumes (didn't realize that the third had released until I made my previous post), that while it is made very clear to the reader what the feelings of the main character are toward our neighbor, that that seems to be "for the readers benefit," so that there's no confusion that yes, this is going to be a lesbian romance story. There is a lot of focus on the main character figuring out her feelings and the development of the relationship between the two leads in a realistic way. It's not, however, like Green Lesbians where these are high schoolers stuck in an endless loop of pining because they lack introspective skills, being high schoolers. These are adult women with adult woman problems and they approach their relationships as adults, which isn't to say they're free of problems or angst or worry but is to say that the worries are of a very different sort.

It is good though! People should check it out. There's also a live action TV adaptation, which is neat!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Chainsaw Man is very good, but Fujimoto's one shots are on a whole other level IMO. Look Back is definitely the best of the ones I've read, but Goodbye, Eri and Just Listen To The Song are also both extremely good. A mix of realistic situations with completely improbable things happening versus actively supernatural that captures a really incredible feeling.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Hello everyone! Since Cooking Papa’s translations have run dry, I thought I’d start posting my favorite manga about a dad who cooks, Sweetness and Lighting!

Sweetness and Lighting is a manga that ran from 2013 to 2018, and it got an animated adaptation in 2016 that I would urge you to check out! It follows recently widowed father and high school teacher Kohei Inuzuka on his journey to learn how to cook alongside his 4 year old daughter, Tsumugi, and one of his students, Kotori Iida, whose family owns a restaurant. The manga is very sweet and cute, and you get the chance to watch the characters grow over the course of the story, both in their skills as cooks and as people. Also, and I’ll go into this in more depth later, this is not a romance story.

The English release of Sweetness and Lightning has gone on a journey. While the manga was initially being published, Crunchyroll had the digital distribution rights to the series, and if you had a Crunchyroll subscription you could both read the manga and watch the anime! However, in recent years Crunchyroll’s online manga service has been losing titles left and right, so this is no longer a possibility. Now, you can purchase the series digitally through either the publisher’s official website or chapter by chapter through Inkr. You can also purchase physical copies wherever manga is sold!

Because this manga is published in English, I do not plan to post all of it. The first 3 chapters are available to read for free through both Kodansha’s website and Inkr, so I’ll be posting those, and then once we’re through those, if people seem to want more, I have a few more chapters ready to post from roughly the first half of the series that I think really show off its strengths. If you like these chapters, I very much encourage you to support the official release in whichever way you prefer.

Each chapter is 30-40 pages, so I’ll be splitting them into 3-4 parts depending on where I can find a good stopping point, but the first few posts are extra long because the first chapter has a fair amount of work to do. Without further ado, let’s start Chapter 1!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

And that’s chapter 1 of Sweetness and Lightning! Since we’ve now met our core cast, and seen Kotori get very blushy towards her teacher, I want to follow up on something that I said in my first post. This is not a romance manga. However, at the beginning of the series, Kotori does have an extremely obvious crush on Kohei, her high school teacher. People were rightfully worried about when the series was actively updating, since student/teacher relationships are unfortunately common in media and it's very gross, but I am happy to report that the crush is never reciprocated and Kotori knows that it would be a very bad idea to act on it. By the end of the series she’s realized that the sisterly bond that she has with Tsumugi and the mutual respect that her and her teacher have for each other because of their shared cooking journey are more important than any romance could have ever been. See y’all next time with chapter 2!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Huh, maybe should have saved the paragraph about that not happening for today, I totally forgot this last page was here.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Shorter post today, as this was the best stopping point remaining other than just posting through until the end of the chapter!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

And that’s chapter 2! And with it, our first real cooking scene and the first actual recipe page! Apparently, the mangaka actually had a culinary consultant who looked over all of the recipes to ensure that all of the ingredients and cooking instructions are accurate, since they’re being provided by an actual professional in the story.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
This section of Bugle Call is so loving cool, and if anything bad ever happens to Zoe I am going to scream in real life

Sweetness And Lightning

A detail that I really like at the start of this chapter is that you can see on their shared plate that Kohei has less food than his 4 year old daughter. He mentioned in the very first update that he’s not much of an eater, and we’re seeing here that it really is true! Also, Kotori’s mom actually exists!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Another shorter one, as right after this there’s a scene transition!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

One criticism that I’ve seen levied against this series is that both Tsumugi and Kohei are a little too perfect, Tsumugi does things that are appropriately childish, but she’s generally never the instigator in conflicts or truly “in the wrong,” and her dad almost always finds the right things to say to get her to learn the lesson by the end of the chapter, sometimes with a little help from others. While I can’t necessarily say that this criticism is wrong, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing. Having healthy parenting styles where the parent communicates with their child and treats them like a small human rather than “a kid” represented in media is important, I think, and I love this little family.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I kinda hope they never meet Kotori’s mom, and her only real contributions are in the form of cute recipes.

While that would be a good gag, we will eventually properly meet Kotori's mom (her dad too!)

Samovar posted:

Don't know how I feel about that onion-cutting technique. I do it the other way around, i.e. the root of the onion is the 'anchor' that holds the thing together while you mince it.

Also, the vertical cuts should follow the curve of the onion, too.

The knife does look like it was drawn at an angle for the vertical cuts but yeah, I didn't notice that the onion is backward for the horizontal cuts (being cut from root toward stem rather than stem toward root).

Sweetness And Lightning

One last note that I find interesting about this translation is that it’s the only time in a manga that I can remember seeing them actually localize this dish and call it by its US name rather than the name that the rest of the world uses (Hamburger or Hamburg steak). The Crunchyroll translations of the anime went with Hamburger Steak as well, IIRC, though it’s been a hot minute since I’ve watched the anime.

Anyway, this is where the free chapters end and I’m going to start skipping around! So as long as people are enjoying this, next time we’ll take a look at Chapter 7 to meet the remaining characters of our core cast!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The other interesting thing is the tomato sauce - obviously that's common with beef in general, but I thought Salisbury Steak in particular was always a brown gravy. There's nothing wrong with it, it's basically just a flatter meatloaf, it just threw me for that particular dish.

e: actually, I forgot the other big difference between the time I read it and the time I posted, the egg on top is a big thing. I guess it's getting more common, but hamburgers are the main beef dish I'm familiar with that have it. I'd definitely give it a try.

The tomato sauce and fried egg are both fairly common things to see with Hamburg steak in Japan (not usually at the same time afaik), the decision to have both at once may very well be because this is specifically stewed hamburger steak. It's kinda like topping a Hamburg steak with shakshuka, which is not something that I've considered before but would probably be delicious

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Speaking of trusting school teachers with your kids at dinner...

Sweetness And Lightning

On to volume 2!

Like I said last time, we’re gonna be skipping chapters and just hitting some highlights from here on out! Please support one of the official releases if you want to see what’s missing! I outlined all the different ways to get the series in my original post.

We’re starting today with chapter 7! The girl that Kotori is hanging out with at the start of this chapter actually makes her first appearance in an earlier chapter, but she’s not named there, we just know that she’s a childhood friend of Kotori’s.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

And we get to meet Yagi! Despite his appearance, he’s a really sweet guy.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Next time, we skip to chapter 9!

Jolyne Cujoh has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Dec 25, 2023

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Fixed it, thanks!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
If they do not kiss next week I'm gonna start a riot

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Sweetness And Lightning

Next time, we skip to chapter 9!

On her third appearance, we get to finally learn Shinobu’s name! Her last name isn’t stated out loud yet, but her family’s shop is called Kojika Produce, so both pieces are there.

Jolyne Cujoh has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Dec 27, 2023

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

The gang’s all here!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I need there to be some kind of delivery service that provides me with an example of every meal that a food comic features, right in time for me to enjoy it while reading about it

I can't help there but when I'm done posting the sample platter I can post the "cookbook" of recipes from each chapter for easy reference

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Despite her usual demeanor, it seems Shinobu’s pretty observant, and she really cares about her friend. It’s sweet :3:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I couldn't help but read ahead on Bugle Call like a month ago but I will reiterate something I said earlier, if anything bad happens to Zoe (including her and ryuka actually getting together) I will scream loud enough to shatter the eardrums of both the author and artist

Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

I went to go find this moment in the anime and discovered that 1) This festival trip was actually mashed together with another chapter in the anime so it doesn't exist and 2) Sweetness and Lightning's anime disappeared from all US streaming sites a few months ago apparently and now i'm mad about licensing

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

:(

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Alright folks, we riotin'

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Hempuli posted:

In the green lesbian comic, it's still ambiguous if Koga-san (the nerdy girl, right?) realizes that Oosawa-san is romantically interested in her, right? Like, they've had countless Moments like the one in the most recent batch, but there hasn't been an explicit acknowledgement from her part that she realizes the full situation? I seem to recall that every time she has said something extremely touching to Oosawa-san, the setup has allowed for plausible deniability so that it was just an accident or whatever, since that kind of tension-building is very common in romance stories afaik.

Yeah, the current setup is that Oosawa was into Koga when she thought Koga was a boy and is still trying to reconcile what her feelings look like now that she knows Koga is a girl (and has been making steady but very slow progress on that), meanwhile Koga is completely oblivious, still pretty bewildered and barely thinks she's worthy of being Oosawa's friend, let alone being romantically involved with her. It's a pretty classic setup in romance, especially wlw manga, and by pure page count this hasn't even lasted all that long compared to other similar manga. Useless Princesses, another comic with basically the same setup, took 31 24+ page chapters to get to the first kiss, and at that point only one of the characters had actually realized their feelings. Ironically, the pace of the more frequent, smaller updates has made the progression feel so much slower imo than in traditional manga of the type where you get a bunch of pages every month or two (or longer, rip to series that are stuck in quarterly or even semiannual publications, i will inevitably forget every detail of the story between updates.) Even in the occasional flash forwards that the author posts where they're together, there's the air of "plausible deniability" that you're talking about, probably because she doesn't want to spoil the payoff but gooooooooood I just want them to figure their stuff out and smooch already

Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

We’re on to volume 3! And skipping ahead to chapter 12!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Long update this time because there's not another good stopping point before the end of the chapter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

CzarChasm posted:

What happened to the Father/Daughter learning to cook comic? Did we reach the end of the translated bits?

Emzedoh posted:

Sweetness and Lightning? It had an official translation, so the poster was just doing a few chapters to be less :filez:

I had a few more chapters I was planning to post, but it wasn't engendering much discussion and I got hit by a ton of real life stuff so I fell off the posting wagon. If folks were enjoying it and want to see more I can pick back up and post through to my original planned stopping point (still will not be the whole comic because it is officially available in english, with regular skipping around).