Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'll post some oldies.

maakies

kaz' underworld

My friend Jeroom makes some of the funniest poo poo.
I don't think his work has ever officially been translated in English.
Although he is doing something for cartoon network, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Brecht Vandenbrouckes' Shady Bitch is nice. A lot of it is a bit nws.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

2. Keep posts work safe. Any NWS content must be LINKED and clearly marked with :nws: tags.

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/MjB2QzJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/felTS8l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7f39XdJ.jpg :nws:

His other work is great too:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Post your favourite comic: There's way more torture than you'd think.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I thought pikachu pulled out a 9 and shot the guy twice.
(clearly, I don't know anything about pokemon).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
the screengrap function in firefox under the tree dots works pretty well for me.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Been making comics for kids for quite some time now.
Probably not for this thread, idk

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Paladinus posted:

Look at the cup.

I don't get it.

Speaking of cups, I once made a comic about that too.
It's in no way referencing any popular culture thing.
Anyway, I made hundreds of these, but never translated them in english or put online.
The ones I did got like 5 views and internet doesn't pay anyway.
i know it's inappropriate these days to expect to make any sort of living with anything creative.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phlegmish posted:

I've been looking at mrfart's site and it looks like he has several (physical) albums out, so I don't think he's doing that badly. Of course, the Flemish + Dutch market isn't where the big bucks are - although maybe francophone too, I see he's been getting published in Spirou.

Yes, originally I write my comics in Dutch. But I translate them in French for Spirou magazine and the francophone market. They are the reason I can make them in the first place.
The dutch market is extremely small. It’s nice to have the albums but they make barely enough to bother printing them :) And English is mainly a digital begging market.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Taeke posted:

So where can I buy an album?

I seriously want to buy a collection, maybe even a couple so I can give some out as gifts. They're delightful and perfect for the line of work I'm in (jeugdzorg).

e:
Never mind, I'm dumb. Completely missed the link to your site.

Thanks!
Yeah, I’ve been pushing some links on social media of local comic book shops, because they’re obviously struggling pretty badly with the lockdown.
Thanks for reminding me I have a website. I should do something with it:)
I tried putting my old stuff on tapas too.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

The Maestro posted:

Is that Michael Jordan?

The guy with the hitler mustache? I dont think so.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phy posted:

For a minute I thought you meant Jordan didn't have a Hitler moustache, though he totally does*, but I realized you probably just meant Jordan wouldn't be wearing fatigues and on a military base

*There's two people I know of who wore Hitler moustaches after Hitler. One is real and plays basketball, one is fictional and want pictures of Spider-Man, and both are assholes.

Sorry, I didn't know that. And I had to google it before I believed you.
Richard Herring once had a hitler moustache. For his show hitler moustache.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pookah posted:

I just this minute realised that bagpipes/uilleann pipes survived in Scotland and Ireland only in isolated, mountainy places because those are the only places you can practice without being driven out by enraged neighbours
I might have told this before, but a friend of mine works in the center of Edinburg. Often there’s a guy playing bagpipes outside of his office for tourists and from time to time, he and his colleagues go pay the guy to stop playing or move somewhere else.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

brecht vandenbroucke

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

cubicle gangster posted:

I have a feeling that if Joan Cornella wasn't a thing, that wouldn't exist. And cowboy henk.
It's like a band that pops up who sound a little bit like all the bands you already like and you can't be mad because it's done so well and more of that is good.

I know Brecht a bit. Haven’t seen him in ages since my ‘dj’ days in Brussels. But he’s been doing this at least since 2006 or so. He comes from the same generation of Brecht Evens and Pieter de poortere with his boerke (dickie?)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phlegmish posted:

They've been posted a lot in this thread, so I assume there's a dump somewhere.

I have a few of the physical albums, Cowboy Henk actually dates back all the way to 1981.

Heh, I forgot if it was one of the early albums or the big retrospective compilation one that had all these angry letters in them from people back in the day threatening to cancel their newspaper subscription if they didn’t remove cowboy Henk.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

My wife has this little tradition of sending me this strange Japanese comic every day on the train to work. She even does it now that we work mostly from home.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Arrhythmia posted:

Why did the avacado get turned around

Because it has bright eyes, and every now and then it falls apart.

Anyway,
I wish Anouk ricard translated her comics in English.

Her BD cul special (alternative french publisher les requins marteaux lets comic book writers do a one of ‘dirty’ comic) had me laughing for days.
Some actors did a reading of the whole thing on youtube during lockdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHsV5-hreNo I guess that's NSFW.

I have the scratch and win comic book:

The only joke she ever translated was a pretty meek one :)

apparently one of her books 'benson's cuckoos' got translated.
But i like the others more.

mrfart has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jun 26, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Turpitude II posted:

it's called nekonaughey and it's posted in the newspaper comic thread sometimes

I like it more when it’s In Japanese. Because then I have to text back to say I don’t understand the joke, and she text back that there isn’t one.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh my god, Hell replaced his dick with a butt!

Pooping leaning against a tree in hell.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like I recognize the style. Dutch artist, right?

Yeah, it’s dirkjan. Probably one of the most famous strips in the Netherlands.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

e-dt posted:

Has this been posted here yet?

This is one of these comics where I feel I'm old because I don't get it, but then find out there's nothing to get and it's just poo poo?

Or I'm really missing something?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's funny they used a Tintin strip for this because Nick Rodwell, the guy who "inherited" Hergé's intellectual property by marrying Hergé's widow is a huge rear end in a top hat suing anyone using Hergé's work (even just a single box) without paying them.

I guess that's :thejoke:

e: cool thing though he made a huge amount of original art publicly exposed in a museum just next to where I live, and the entrance is free once per month. He's doing a good job of promoting Hergé's work with the shitton of money they are making from the books and other products. Just he shouldn't be such an rear end in a top hat regarding fair use

e2: oh apparently it's part of a full satirical album with parodies of all classical comics, so I guess I read too much into it :)

You live in Louvain-la-Neuve?

Museum is cool. It, ahem, forgets to mention some of hergé's history, though :)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean a comics museum? There's the Hergé Muséum which is honestly good if you love his art, but besides that there's not much to see in the city. It's still fun to walk there, as it's a city that was built in 68 out of nowhere so they had the opportunity to try many ideas to make it more pleasant. Like there's architectural guidelines, the city is built on a concrete slab and cars go below it, so the whole university is pedestrian.

Not everything aged well, it's not the prettiest, but it's interesting. I think they remade the city museum too holding all the most interesting possessions of the university, quite eclectic.

The town is worth a visit because it's a one of its kind in Belgium. I was only there during summer holidays though, when the student piss rivers run dry, I suppose?

As I understand it, the museum was supposed to be in Brussels, but moulinsart ( company which protects the work of Hergé) went elsewhere because the city didn't fork over enough money.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, I mean a comics museum, not a café. Every little village in Belgium has at least 5 of the latter, although they've been closing at a pretty rapid rate these past two decades or so.

Wow it really is exactly like the old Leuven

I should pay it a visit, the city museum seems interesting. I'm also a big fan of car-free areas in cities, they just poo poo everything up and make it unpleasant, so an entire car-free town should be up my alley.

@mrfart: what's the recommended age range for your Captain Anchovy series?

Good question.
It started out as a comic strip in a school magazine for 8-10 year olds.
When it was picked up by Spirou, it turned into a more 'all ages' thing. I made some more risqué ones, but nobody ever complained.

I only make bigger one to six page stories/jokes or game pages now. For the latter, they did move me to the 10 to 12 year olds, because these loving things always turn into weird and sometimes absurd games and riddles and the kids can't solve them.
But on the other hand, I just released like a collection album with mostly these games, and kids seem to really like them, although they annoy their parent asking for solutions.

i don't think I ever translated any of these because it's a lot of work.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Taeke posted:

Yo I ordered two of your albums, they'll arrive tomorrow. (I ordered them a week ago along with some stuff for my parents and had it delivered at their place, but they're visiting tomorrow.)

Looking forward to reading them.

Thanks.
With the lockdown I had a lot of people buying them from me directly or through virtual signing sessions from comic book stores and ended up spending al lot of time signing books. Well, it’s my own fault for drawing so slow and trying to put something funny in each of them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

The complete collection of my friend's comic 'Plunk' just got released in Chinese.

Must have been a hell of a translating job.

That 'H' must be something else now, I guess.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I ruined christmas once when I was 7, which was over 30 years ago, and it still bothers me. I explained this to my mom a few years ago, and she laughed in my face because I'm the only one that remembers/gives a poo poo.

How did you ruin Christmas as a seven year old?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Nick maandag going a bit dark.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sure!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
:nws: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGc7K_oB7Ud/
sorry, instagram. sorry, french (but you don't need it to understand the joke)

This fucker makes my wife laugh out loud.
She never does that with my comics (cries himself to sleep).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
don't remember that one.

Now I'm trying to find the frank lloyd wright one.

one of mine

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Imagine beating a seal to death with a loving bicycle.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

French Dirkjan, because you guys don't speak Dutch.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.