Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mary had a little clam posted:

That pic has me thinking about Thanos either himself taking the time or hiring someone to install rocket boosters on his arm rest rocks instead of just having an actual chair.

Arms are optional on most office chairs. That's a Herman Miller Rock Throne he's sitting on there, nothing but the best for a son of the Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean when the technology exists who wouldn't get rocket boosters for rocks for armrests?

That's why he's always sitting. You take the pressure off those things for two seconds and go flying out into the vast unknown.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Jedit posted:

Arms are optional on most office chairs. That's a Herman Miller Rock Throne he's sitting on there, nothing but the best for a son of the Titans.

I can really see the Herman Miller Difference™

That sounds like the chair for me!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rough Lobster posted:

That's why he's always sitting. You take the pressure off those things for two seconds and go flying out into the vast unknown.

So really he's keeping the chair in check.
Thanos is a guardian and is trying to save us all from The Sitting Menace.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inzombiac posted:

So really he's keeping the chair in check.
Thanos is a guardian and is trying to save us all from The Sitting Menace.

I had no idea MODOK was going to show up in the MCU!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think all space chairs just come standard equipped with the rockets, he didn't have to order special or anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I think all space chairs just come standard equipped with the rockets, he didn't have to order special or anything.

It was Metatron's first chair. Picked it up off of SpaceCraigslist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

It was Metatron's first chair. Picked it up off of SpaceCraigslist.

"Hey Darkseid, you want my old chair? Sell it to you for cheap."
"Nah, you know I'm all about the couches, dude."

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You know how it is, you get a giant rock and everyone chips in to make it the best space chair. None of this second-hand bullshit for Thanos.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Inhumans the film was cancelled, replaced by Inhumans the TV show, starting next year.

I bet you they kill Shield and keep Skye for it.

That show was poo poo in it's first season (until the end) and it never recovered from it; it's actually a lot of fun now but it's hard to win back a reputation. It doesn't help that because Coulson lives in it, and the MCU people are against that idea, it'll never ever get acknowledged (where the Netflix shows almost certainly will next phase).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would have been cooler if his chair were made of the "souls/bodies" of the semi-living damned that were mostly stationary but pulsing or struggling to move and horrific expression on face.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I bet you they kill Shield and keep Skye for it.

That show was poo poo in it's first season (until the end) and it never recovered from it; it's actually a lot of fun now but it's hard to win back a reputation. It doesn't help that because Coulson lives in it, and the MCU people are against that idea, it'll never ever get acknowledged (where the Netflix shows almost certainly will next phase).

LMAO if the pettiness carries through and like all of the Infinity War/world ending poo poo happens without ANY of the TV characters getting at least mentioned or something.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Kind of crazy that earth ended up having like 80% of the infinity stones.

Also q: is thanos supposed to be more powerful than Dormammu?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jay-V posted:

Kind of crazy that earth ended up having like 80% of the infinity stones.

Also q: is thanos supposed to be more powerful than Dormammu?

Earth only had the time stone and space stone. The reality stone was found when Jane got stuck in another world or dimension. Loki brought the mind stone. And the power stone was never there.

In the Dark Dimension, Dormammu is all powerful. Thanos is basically impossible to kill and has strength on par with Thor, or better. But he mainly is a great thinker, and unstoppable by almost anyone but himself. I'd say Dormammu has more power, but Thanos is smarter and more of a threat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In the comics, at least. In the movies, Thanos lost the mind gem because he gave it to noted trickster god Loki and sent him to Earth with it.

Though maybe some writer can give that a spin to suggest it was all part of the plan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was surprised no effort was made by Thanos to get the mind stone back after Loki hosed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Earth only had the time stone and space stone. The reality stone was found when Jane got stuck in another world or dimension. Loki brought the mind stone. And the power stone was never there.

In the Dark Dimension, Dormammu is all powerful. Thanos is basically impossible to kill and has strength on par with Thor, or better. But he mainly is a great thinker, and unstoppable by almost anyone but himself. I'd say Dormammu has more power, but Thanos is smarter and more of a threat.

For all his evil schemes and power, Dormammu is kind of a huge loving idiot.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I honestly can't wait for the Infinity Stones story to end. A personality-less purple monster man using 6 MacGuffins to, I assume, create a world-destroying pillar of light is not something I needed several films to establish.

Dr. Strange is cool, though. Hopefully he gets the Eye back after Thanos steals it. Or he doesn't, whatever. Strange fighting Mordo sounds way more interesting.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just because Thanos has no personality now doesn't mean he won't. Thanos is one of Marvel's best villains in the comics.

Which means they're probably going to gently caress him up 100%, so never mind.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Like 12 movies in and I still don't know what he wants. I get that the stones are powerful, but what are they for? Does he hate Asgard or something? It's not really tangible what his goals are.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

davidspackage posted:

In the comics, at least. In the movies, Thanos lost the mind gem because he gave it to noted trickster god Loki and sent him to Earth with it.

Though maybe some writer can give that a spin to suggest it was all part of the plan.

Presumably the bargain was that Thanos would get the scepter and tesseract back after the Chitauri finished conquering Earth.

Lurdiak posted:

For all his evil schemes and power, Dormammu is kind of a huge loving idiot.

I, for one, cannot take Dormammu seriously after his cousin showed up in Nextwave.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

well why not posted:

Like 12 movies in and I still don't know what he wants. I get that the stones are powerful, but what are they for? Does he hate Asgard or something? It's not really tangible what his goals are.

They go into an extremely stylish glove that lets him use all of them in tandem at once to become a god like being. Then basically an arc of the avengers getting jobbed before one of them wins through heart or whatever.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Thanos gets to say "Give me your face!" to Vision before he's killed off.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just hope they can motion capture that poo poo eating grin he always does.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

well why not posted:

In his very first appearance one of his henchmen says "to attack earth is to court death" and Thanos smiles. That is his motivation. He loves Death.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm saying it again. "he has a crush on the grim reaper who is dating another guy" is just the kind of story you can do in a comic where there is a billion issues and that part of the story can be real far away from the part of the story he's supposed to be scary or badass.

I just can not imagine a 3 hour movie having a scene where he has to explain his motivations and have it be "I got cucked by deadpool" and then have the movie go back to him being a scary threat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Boxman posted:

Presumably the bargain was that Thanos would get the scepter and tesseract back after the Chitauri finished conquering Earth.

I, for one, cannot take Dormammu seriously after his cousin showed up in Nextwave.

Jesus christ don't hire writers from tumblr.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just make Death an imaginary being that only Thanos can see/talk to and play up him coming off like a creepy psycho when he talks to her in front of people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

I just hope they can motion capture that poo poo eating grin he always does.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a pretty good Thanos grin. I hope they redesign him a bit for Infinity War, though. I don't love the costume, but mainly I don't like the not-black eyes.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Vintersorg posted:

Nextwave is from 2006, Tumblr had nothing to do with it. 2006 is just the altogether nadir of american culture and humour

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

tin can made man posted:

Nextwave is from 2006, Tumblr had nothing to do with it. 2006 is just the altogether nadir of american culture and humour
Nextwave is also really good

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I mean it definitely was funny in 2006, but in my experience literally nothing from that Dark Year has stood the test of time

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This was fun and better than I expected, I did like the way Dr. Strange "won" at the end and this might be the only time I've liked Benedict Cumberbatch in a role because I find him totally intolerable anyway.

The only thing I need now is that gif of him and Chiwetel Ejiofor jumping around without special effects because its hilarious

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I liked the movie, but in retrospect it felt like all those other sorcerers must have been pretty incompetent, if Strange could knock Kaecilius' goons off one by one and all the people with a lifetime of training and a bunch of spells and artifacts or whatever all got punked instantly.

I mean, it doesn't feel like it'd be asking for much to at least have some visible signs of a fight, or some already-defeated minions strewn around so that it's obvious that people besides the main characters actually bothered to do something.

Buzkashi posted:

It seemed super cheap and silly but holy poo poo did I crack up at the exchange

- Mister ...
- Doctor.
- Mr. Doctor.
- My name is Strange.
- Well, who am I to judge?

I loved this bit. It packs a huge amount of personality for Kaecilius into just a couple of seconds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Wow is that a stupid thing to say.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

I liked the movie, but in retrospect it felt like all those other sorcerers must have been pretty incompetent, if Strange could knock Kaecilius' goons off one by one and all the people with a lifetime of training and a bunch of spells and artifacts or whatever all got punked instantly.

I mean, it doesn't feel like it'd be asking for much to at least have some visible signs of a fight, or some already-defeated minions strewn around so that it's obvious that people besides the main characters actually bothered to do something.
They did that, I thought: you just sort of see it in reverse and obviously in the background because Strange is approaching the actual core epicenter. In this context he has good reason not to care a ton about Acolyte #39, he's focused on undoing the Real Bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

They did that, I thought: you just sort of see it in reverse and obviously in the background because Strange is approaching the actual core epicenter. In this context he has good reason not to care a ton about Acolyte #39, he's focused on undoing the Real Bad.

I think Strange only beats two of the goons, both times by outthinking them - the one he strands in the desert, and the one the Cloak of Levitation beats up while Strange fights him in astral form in the hospital - who he beats by having the doctor lady fibrillate his body.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lurdiak posted:

Wow is that a stupid thing to say.

You actually enjoyed that poo poo? Get out of town.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

You actually enjoyed that poo poo? Get out of town.

You're dissing one of the most reposted funny panels in recent comic book history and calling a 48 year old comic book legend "from tumblr". You couldn't be embarrassing yourself more if you were talking poo poo on Kubrick and Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe that page isn't the funniest thing of all time, to each his own, but it also doesn't strike me as particularly Tumblr-ish. Like once he got the money he didn't say "now I can buy all the things!" or something.

• Locked thread