Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Memphis!!! MEMPHIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

LBJ has had many signature moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4GA3GB3Wk

The most common signature LBJ moment is him sitting on the sidelines at the ASG with a reporter asking him if he'll do the dunk contest next year. It happens every year.

:lol:

tanglewood1420 posted:

When will whoever it was that ran the preseason survey (sorry, can't remember which wonderful poster it was) release the results?

Hopefully within two weeks. Poll is now closed. 107 total responses so that was good and most ever.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Memphis!!! MEMPHIS

Hmmm ever think okc

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metapod posted:

Hmmm ever think okc
LAC is shaping up to be a monster

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Panthers went 15-1 and swept through the NFC but now have the 2nd worst record in the league, and the NFC itself hasn't had a lot of continuity as far as the front runners. The best odds any team got before the season was 8:1. The best odds for any NHL team this year were 9:1. Going into last year's playoffs, the best odds any team got were 7:1. The best teams in MLB flip frequently and the playoffs are always a total crapshoot. The best odds any team got before the season were 10:1.

A team going 15-1 one season and then starting a season 1-5 is not parity. That's chaos and unpredictability. Parity, by definition, means teams having the same amount of talent and teams having a 50/50 shot to win a game AKA teams all hovering around 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 records in the NFL. This just doesn't happen. The NBA playoff teams are very hard to predict as well going into the season. In three years and over 200 tries here nobody has guessed the eight east playoff teams correctly.

Continuity, predictability and parity are different things. There is confusion here because I have seen articles conflate the three as if each team getting a turn in the playoffs proves equality. Some articles I've read equate parity with fairness and fairness with whatever arbitrary/superficial idea pops into the sportswriters head as being fair. e.g. the NBA has had six different champions in the last seven seasons. That is not parity.

Flip a coin sixteen times and see how often you go 15-1.

You are correct that the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot (not parity) and that's due to the nature of the game more than teams having an equal level of talent. The MLB is insane as it's not uncommon for the team with the best run differential and/or SRS to miss the playoffs entirely.

2014 Oakland A's had the highest run differential and SRS and missed the MLB playoffs. Imagine GSW missing the playoffs last year because they lost a ton of games by one point. That's what happens in baseball.

The nature of baseball/football make actual performance more unhinged from wins and losses compared to basketball/hockey. I looked at the colleration between MOV and wins in the big four sports in some seasons over the last twenty years. They were hovering around these averages in each season I checked:

NBA .97
NHL .95
MLB .92
NFL .91

The NBA has had near perfect correlation some years. .9 is good but it definitely leaves room for a great NFL/MLB team to be unlucky and open the door for a weak team. Creating a false sense of parity.

The spirit of Byron Scott lives on.

Sharparoni posted:

The NBA is a cool league, my dudes, and even though the Warriors are going to go 96-0, we can all still enjoy random Jazz-Hornets games, probably. Please enjoy the Timberwolves

You mean 98-0.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

kiimo posted:

I'm not sure he's joking

He's been watching Giannis highlights and wants to be better version :stonk:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
*bursts in to thread panting*

hey everyone!

*gasps for air*

BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Making a post in the new thread for the two or three people who care - I made some print-friendly NBA schedules for this new season for the major US time zones, because I can't find anyone else who does the same thing. Available to download here: http://vrowl.com/2016-17-nba-schedules

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

We're in uncharted waters as KD to the 2017 Warriors is like putting David Robinson or Shaq on the 1997 Bulls but these are close:

-1982 76ers lost in the finals and then Moses Malone joined the team.

-1970 Bucks with a dominant KAJ gets Oscar Robertson the next year.

-1968 Lakers lost in the finals and then Wilt Chamberlain joined the team.

Doing this to Dan Gilbert over and over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

tanglewood1420 posted:

This time last year people were talking up New Orleans as a possible four or five seed, Davis as an outside MVP candidate and how he's going to win multiple MVPs and be the face of the league for the next decade. And now it's like he's all of a sudden an afterthought.

His lack of the 3P shot is going to hurt going forward.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

legit upset that the bulls' dumb twitter thing isn't #ThreeAlphas

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

When will you start releasing the poll results

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

got some chores tonight posted:

i would not expect the knicks or the rockets to have expectionally low dribble numbers cuz i feel like most of their offences were letting superstars work

There were some moments last year where we looked like a good team with bad players

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

The problem is that Jordan's shot over Russell is literally the only truly "iconic" moment in NBA history. Everything else pales in comparison including this block which was amazing and incredible

Bird and Havlicek famously stole balls for Boston in the playoffs. Or are you writing those off as undue Boston homerism?

Ghost Dog posted:

durant joining the warriors doesnt make then any more of a superteam it just made their competition worse. imagine being a player as good as durant and your major contribution to the team you are on is that you arent on another team jfc

Durant joining does make them more powerful. Replacing Harrison Barnes with Durant is big. Curry, Klay and Durant can decide between themselves some games to cruise more and take the night off. This will allow them to retain stamina.

I know a lot thought I was joking about championship hunger but it's a real thing and Durant has been accruing it.

Tae posted:

Why watch, I heard it's already over

If the GSW don't win in 2017 I fear for what big signing they pull off during the summer.

Metapod posted:

When will you start releasing the poll results

Hopefully within two weeks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

A team going 15-1 one season and then starting a season 1-5 is not parity. That's chaos and unpredictability. Parity, by definition, means teams having the same amount of talent and teams having a 50/50 shot to win a game AKA teams all hovering around 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 records in the NFL. This just doesn't happen. The NBA playoff teams are very hard to predict as well going into the season. In three years and over 200 tries here nobody has guessed the eight east playoff teams correctly.

Continuity, predictability and parity are different things. There is confusion here because I have seen articles conflate the three as if each team getting a turn in the playoffs proves equality. Some articles I've read equate parity with fairness and fairness with whatever arbitrary/superficial idea pops into the sportswriters head as being fair. e.g. the NBA has had six different champions in the last seven seasons. That is not parity.

Flip a coin sixteen times and see how often you go 15-1.

You are correct that the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot (not parity) and that's due to the nature of the game more than teams having an equal level of talent. The MLB is insane as it's not uncommon for the team with the best run differential and/or SRS to miss the playoffs entirely.

2014 Oakland A's had the highest run differential and SRS and missed the MLB playoffs. Imagine GSW missing the playoffs last year because they lost a ton of games by one point. That's what happens in baseball.

The nature of baseball/football make actual performance more unhinged from wins and losses compared to basketball/hockey. I looked at the colleration between MOV and wins in the big four sports in some seasons over the last twenty years. They were hovering around these averages in each season I checked:

NBA .97
NHL .95
MLB .92
NFL .91

The NBA has had near perfect correlation some years. .9 is good but it definitely leaves room for a great NFL/MLB team to be unlucky and open the door for a weak team. Creating a false sense of parity.

The spirit of Byron Scott lives on.

You mean 98-0.

When I say this I don't want to sound like I'm having an insight, but I do think that's why people like the NFL. The general randomness makes it a good TV show, like a soap opera where characters randomly are killed off or revealed to be twins, things just happen, the ball is a silly shape, there are a ton of guys who are allowed to slam into each other but only from some directions and hold but only at certain points, it's really an absurd accretion of rules that leads to wild variance

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Zogo posted:

Bird and Havlicek famously stole balls for Boston in the playoffs. Or are you writing those off as undue Boston homerism?
I just really don't think it occupy's the same real estate in people's mind that Jordan's shot does. This is not me saying "nothing incredible" ever happened, it's just that nothing will ever be as iconic in the media and our minds as the Jordan shot. It's what I imagine most people reflexively think about when they hear the words clutch gene. It is omnipresent. Every other legendary play requires some kind of prompting, it's not the platonic ideal of the game itself.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm so happy the NBA is back so I can stop pretending I still care about the NFL.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Zogo can I change my vote for rookie PER leader to Jamal Murray?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

oooooo compelling.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Zogo posted:

You mean 98-0.

Should be 97-1 at that point

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm so happy the NBA is back so I can stop pretending I still care about the NFL.

the panthers are 1-5, this was decided for me

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The saddest thing was seeing all the NBA twitter media guys pretend to care about baseball and football during offseason
Come on guys

You only get one team sport

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Shaquille O'Neal: still terrible

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I only watched 1 Rockets game this preseason, but i am in. WCF, MVP. calling it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

You only get one team sport
stop trying to make this happen

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Rick posted:

I felt like this too after watching him in one preseason game (lol). Dude's either gonna take Harris' spot or score off the bench. Could also play huge minutes if the Nugs trade any or all of: Barton, Gallinari, Chandler.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

stop trying to make this happen

I don't think a media person can effectively cover more than one sport

A fan might be able to be entertained by more than one

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kibner posted:

gently caress Byron Scott.

He said un byronically. Jeez this thread is moving.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't think a media person can effectively cover more than one sport
That's fair. I think you'd have to be like a cultural critic or author that was independently famous/focused on putting words to the ephemera of sports for your opinions to increase the existing knowledge base of a variety of sports.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

oooooo compelling.

I am not sure if he's good yet but I'm confident in the fact that if he's on the floor he's going to get some stats.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I felt like this too after watching him in one preseason game (lol). Dude's either gonna take Harris' spot or score off the bench. Could also play huge minutes if the Nugs trade any or all of: Barton, Gallinari, Chandler.

Hahah, I'm basing it off of TWO preseason games.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

then again, PER is biased against rookie guards and strongly in favor of bigs.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

He'll get a lot of minutes if Jameer or Mudiay go down for any period of time, too

I implore y'all to check out a few Nuggets games this year. They aren't gonna be good but they will be a lot more fun to watch than the garbo Shaw teams. Malone's trying a twin towers thing with Nurkic and Jokic and they are both great passing bigs, and Jokic might be really good, and Nurk talks a ton of poo poo.

Don't watch for Mudiay though he's a scrub

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rookie PER is going to Embiid c'mon. It was 28.2 this preseason.

vvvvv Or that.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's going to be sabonis

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Zogo posted:

Durant joining does make them more powerful. Replacing Harrison Barnes with Durant is big. Curry, Klay and Durant can decide between themselves some games to cruise more and take the night off. This will allow them to retain stamina.

I know a lot thought I was joking about championship hunger but it's a real thing and Durant has been accruing it.

If the GSW don't win in 2017 I fear for what big signing they pull off during the summer.

Hopefully within two weeks.

Link me to the poll again I have to take it please

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy watching the NBA. New poster here. Growing up in Central IL I got into the NBA around the time Jordan retired once, the Rockets were winning, and the Magic had Penny/Shaq. I was a Magic fan, since I felt like a bandwagon Bulls fan if I cheered for them, and the Magic were new. Now that I live in the Chicago suburbs I want the Bulls to do well, but the Magic are still what I consider "my team". Excited for another season of mediocrity!

Edit: Charlotte Hornets are also cool in my book because Kendall Gill (University of Illinois player) played for them, and Muggsy Bogues was cool as poo poo.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This owns

https://www.500level.com/collections/sagerstrong

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

chunkles posted:

post more. i need other people to help me spread lies about how james harden plays good defense.

I won't say 'good' but meet me at 'adequate' and that's a lie I'll spread and believe.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Zogo posted:

If they were truly light years ahead they'd convince Thibs to trade KAT for Zaza

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zogo posted:

We're in uncharted waters as KD to the 2017 Warriors is like putting David Robinson or Shaq on the 1997 Bulls but these are close:

-1982 76ers lost in the finals and then Moses Malone joined the team.

-1970 Bucks with a dominant KAJ gets Oscar Robertson the next year.

-1968 Lakers lost in the finals and then Wilt Chamberlain joined the team.

Doing this to Dan Gilbert over and over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

His lack of the 3P shot is going to hurt going forward.

Moses is probably the closest comparison, as he was a two time MVP in '79 and '82. In 68 the league was a lot smaller and teams were stacked. In the age of "parity" you don't see teams with no weaknesses 1-5 but those Sixers came very close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

GUYS

the warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 nba finals with the league's first unanimous mvp

• Locked thread