Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/790568826802929664

the Pistons' confrontationally bland #DetroitBasketball almost loops around into being good

It's the arena announcer, Mason's, catchphrase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxnpSgMQai0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Athanatos posted:

Does TNT stream games on their Watch TNT website deal?

TNT Extra time was totally free even if you didn't have TNT, I don't know if they changed it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

How old is the undertaker

I remember him from when I was a kid.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

A team going 15-1 one season and then starting a season 1-5 is not parity. That's chaos and unpredictability. Parity, by definition, means teams having the same amount of talent and teams having a 50/50 shot to win a game AKA teams all hovering around 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 records in the NFL. This just doesn't happen. The NBA playoff teams are very hard to predict as well going into the season. In three years and over 200 tries here nobody has guessed the eight east playoff teams correctly.

Continuity, predictability and parity are different things. There is confusion here because I have seen articles conflate the three as if each team getting a turn in the playoffs proves equality. Some articles I've read equate parity with fairness and fairness with whatever arbitrary/superficial idea pops into the sportswriters head as being fair. e.g. the NBA has had six different champions in the last seven seasons. That is not parity.

Flip a coin sixteen times and see how often you go 15-1.

You are correct that the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot (not parity) and that's due to the nature of the game more than teams having an equal level of talent. The MLB is insane as it's not uncommon for the team with the best run differential and/or SRS to miss the playoffs entirely.

2014 Oakland A's had the highest run differential and SRS and missed the MLB playoffs. Imagine GSW missing the playoffs last year because they lost a ton of games by one point. That's what happens in baseball.

The nature of baseball/football make actual performance more unhinged from wins and losses compared to basketball/hockey. I looked at the colleration between MOV and wins in the big four sports in some seasons over the last twenty years. They were hovering around these averages in each season I checked:

NBA .97
NHL .95
MLB .92
NFL .91

The NBA has had near perfect correlation some years. .9 is good but it definitely leaves room for a great NFL/MLB team to be unlucky and open the door for a weak team. Creating a false sense of parity.

The spirit of Byron Scott lives on.

You mean 98-0.

When I say this I don't want to sound like I'm having an insight, but I do think that's why people like the NFL. The general randomness makes it a good TV show, like a soap opera where characters randomly are killed off or revealed to be twins, things just happen, the ball is a silly shape, there are a ton of guys who are allowed to slam into each other but only from some directions and hold but only at certain points, it's really an absurd accretion of rules that leads to wild variance

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm so happy the NBA is back so I can stop pretending I still care about the NFL.

The saddest thing was seeing all the NBA twitter media guys pretend to care about baseball and football during offseason
Come on guys

You only get one team sport

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

stop trying to make this happen

I don't think a media person can effectively cover more than one sport

A fan might be able to be entertained by more than one

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He gets out of position a lot and then has to use his length to recover. The Spurs abused him with two bigs last night and perfectly exposed a lot of his weaknesses.

David Lee loving grabbed a jump ball rebound over him which should never happen. So that matters if you're in the rebounding = defense crowd (last night was a pretty good case for that).

He is generally pretty good though and there's few teams that will put him in the annoying positions that the Spurs did. If he has to keep guarding centers/pfs off the bench, though, this could become more of an issue.

They struggled against big big teams last year too, the lost to the Pistons, they lost to the Nuggets, I think they lost to the Wolves.

They got smaller, functionally, on defense. No Bogut and no Ezeli which means they need to integrate Zaza's more pedestrian but solid big man defense and maybe even try Javale for a bit of rim protection.

Other than that, it's just a matter of time for Durant to learn how to play in their system

It was nice to see the spurs stay the spurs despite the magic of duncan's hoary old bones being sealed in a leaded coffin. Post and high elbow passing is really useful against smaller teams

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ElPedro posted:

Since you want us lurkers to reply.. well why not!

Awesome opening night - loved Lebrons killer dunks and of course the Spurs beating those golden fellas.

Looking forward to following Cleveland this year and will probably keep up with Giannis (da Freak), Clipper and Spurs.

Now if only the timezone in Denmark wasn't so horrible I could watch more live games - hurray for early games in the weekend!

Check out nbahd.com for free replays my Dansk friend!
Just make sure you have all the adblocks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This post led me to discover that Miles Simon is half Norwegian.
Jerebko is hf
Half Swedish half Russian America n

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RaySmuckles posted:

lmao, i tried to watch first take just to hear some people talk about the game last night and my god, my god, Stephen A Smith is loving awful. loving awful. it was painful.

If you want immediate video takes about nba, cbs sports sometimes has matt moore doing those autoplay videos. But if its a swarthy guy with the worlds most annoying voice, close your browser

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marcus Morris is literally the best player at gaurding LEbron James in the NBA. So Why don't the Warriors trade Kevin Durant for Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnon takes his role

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ozymandius1024 posted:

Marcus Morris is a cool guy. I look forward to watching him shoot midrange jumpers all night tonight.

Marcus Morris is pure Philadlelphia which make shim pure Detroit , the only other way to be pure Detroitiso tbe pure Louisiana or Alabama. Very important to have those guys on the team

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

Happy Joel Embiid day my friends. We made it.

I believe

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I take back everything bad I've ever said about Reggie Jackson

13th best pg is so much better than replacement level pg

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

How did DeRozan get 40 points in three quarters? The defense looked loving putrid.

I dropped my macbook and smashed the screen and spent most of the game cross shopping new computers so I don't have any analysis, I mostly just heard the broadcast

I tink it was just a combo of bad pg defense, Tobias Harris, and Drummond

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Isn't this true of almost all of the good defensive big men?

That's a weak objection, it's like saying, Lebron gets away with changing his pivot foot and offensive fouling, and your response is, don't most superstars? Bogut is the king of the illegal screen

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings looked like an actual basketball team against a bad basketball team last night. If we can beat all the non-playoff teams this year I'll be pleased

Also WCS did this
https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/791634739140648960

Man if they can find lineups to play him alongside Cousins they might actually have a shot at the 8th seed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Willie Cauley-Stein is the most underrated young big in the NBA. Very Tyson Chandler-y, which was his draft comp.

I want to say he's like Tyson Chandler but slighter, and with more range to cover perimeter players. If he had a little jumper that would really set things off. Cousins is a good enough passer that they could develop a post passing thing with him cutting to the basket.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Spacebump: I wasn't attacking your assetion, it's just accepted that Bogut is an illegal screener extradonaire, Kevin Garnett Level. This is a good question for the thread: Who do you think is the best defensive big of the last 10 years who didn't set blatantly illegal screens
[

MourningView posted:

Some of us have been excited about Myles Turner for like two years!!

Utah was so close to having him instead of Lyles. drat you Larry Bird :(
He's like the traditional big man Giannis at this point, he can dribble pass and shoot, and do all the defense he needs to do. He's like blake griffin as a center without the great scoring. He's like a tall Draymond. I really like him and I hope his game keeps growing.
What do yout hink of Lyles through the preseason? Could he still become a bench scorer, he had his moments later last year. APologizes for all the questions, I'm 10x more busier this year than I was last year so I just can't watch as many games

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 27, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

WCS tried a couple of jumpers from 15' out and they were ugly. But Joerger is starting Kosta Koufos next to Cousins so it's not like the spacing can get any worse by starting WCS instead.

Don't shoot me for making this comp, but his defense could be non insane kevin Garnett esque. He has the body type and the agility. It's just that offensive game.

We've talked about how the Kings need a nominal center/pf who can protect the rim and switch to protect cousins. Ideally he could shoot, but the skal project is still baking in the basketball 5.5 kiln

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

No worries, I'm still in salty mode after realizing the Mavs' only two (real) centers with NBA experience might be injured.

The upside is that you probably weren't getting the 8th seed and its a great draft. Plus you get to see what Salah Mejri can really do, we know what Powell can do, be a pf who plays like a center. There are two bigs in the later lottery that I can see Carlisle molding into something

May Carlisle will get some Quincy Acy small ball going

MourningView posted:

He definitely could be if his outside shot comes along. He's really skilled for a big guy but not quite as skilled as he thinks he is which I thinks gets him in trouble at times. He's also not a very good athlete and probably won't ever be a very good defender which limits his upside a bit
His game is likable, because he has ca n make a few dribbles and find a nice short jumper, tgat's not the coolest thing to be able to do. He seems to make wide open threees. His lack off athleticism really seems to hurt at the rim, he needs the ball just close enough to stride and jump off both legs to get above defenders rather than going for a contested lay up. Synder seems good at putting him in places where he's comfortable. Always sucks when a big has not much defensive potential

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

ANY player who sets lots of screens will end up setting lots of illegal screens because they don't get called often, so why not? Defensive bigs don't do much on offense other than set screens, ergo....

ANSWER: I don't recall Yao setting a lot of illegal screens.

I'm surveying all the basketball personalities on twitter to see if anyone even has a memory. Yao is a good thinking. He was so big that his screens didn't have to be illegal

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

I'm still convinced this Mavs team has the potential to be a good defensive team that could be anywhere from a 4-8 seed*. The problem (assuming they have healthy centers, which if they don't will be a bigger problem) will be offense. If players regularly have nights like Matthews did last night, they are in for some frustrating games. That is a good point about the quality of the draft. Let's hope Cuban doesn't meddle with the draft. Another situation where Donnie wants to draft a player like Giannis and Cuban trades to a worse spot to save money for a big free agent that doesn't come would be brutal.

*Depending on injuries in the West. If the following teams are healthy most of the season I expect them to be top 4: Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies

There's no reason to count them out yet. Especially since having an automatic scorer in the regular season is worth about 10 extra wins. I wonder if Wes Mathews and Jennings will ever recover from their achilles tears. They'e the test cases for the latest in cadaver grafting and no slicing spaghettis

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

the certainty that Simmons is likely to be a star seems kinda premature imo

When you can draft yourself a slim boris diaw 1st overall, you do it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Beno Udrih had a classic Beno game last night. I love that loving slovenian idiot and his awful haircut

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I feel like this is every post I make in this forum, but to anyone in Europe, or any Americans who have to wake up at 4 am, NBAHD is a lifesaver. They have every game in HD after the fact. Reborn4hd's archive is hit or miss, and league pass's doesn't always work.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Dejan was Singler ever OK or am I thinking of Jonas Jerebko? Probably just getting my white Pistons journeymen from 5 years ago mixed up here

He started for the Pistons and was a net positive player, he shot well, he handled the ball, he facilitated a little. He's just not meant to be a spot up shooter. Jerebko was great as a piston and tore his acl, then stan traded him for nothing and now hes good for celtics. He was definitely the most athletic white in the NBA aside from Aaron Gordon or Blake Griffin

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What confused me is is that 3 years ago, Thad Young was an exciting trade chip, like, we've gotta get a good first or someone good for him. Thad Young. And then for 2 years everyone's opinion of him was, can't shoot threes so he sucks. Then he signed with the Pacers and somehow Thad Young became a good player who can do all sorts of things again. Perception baby

“ZELMO BEATY: Bill was a strong believer in the power of honey. In the dressing room, he had honey candy bars and honey and tea for us to drink. He also had chocolate bars. He believed that honey and chocolate gave you energy.

Excerpt From: Terry Pluto. “Loose Balls.” iBooks. '

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bashez posted:

It still blows my mind how little respect Green gets. The team is looking pretty nice overall.

In the back of my mind those Aldridge rumors still worry me.

People pay like twice has actual value for him in fantasy basketball so I think he's well respected in basketball addict circles

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Andrre Drummond developing a face up game is loving :eek:

If he ever learns to play defense and make fts this team could be a conference finals sort of team

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kyrie is old school, he just doesn't play defense, he doesn't bother with it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

curry wasn't on a bum leg when he came back and torched portland. let's just acknowledge he got thick daddied by stronger tougher men like the baby that he is and had to be bailed out by his teammates

If he won, his injury would have been real. But he lost so it doesn't matter. That's the duality of stupid sports rhetoric. He got hurt and so did Bogut, dramond got suspended and they lost, that's what happened. The cavs happened to play very good basketball and won the series

Lockback posted:

PG defense has so very little effect on your teams defense as a whole, man. I don't know what you are on about.

There's a difference between being bad/not fighting through screens just to be across the ocurt from the real action, and just not trying, James Harden/Kyrie style. Those put extra pressure on your defense. Lillard is a bad defender but he at least goes hrough the motions s so their scheme stays somewhat intact

What's annoying about Kyrie is that he has the tools to be a decent defender, but except for a few moments in the playoffs he just didn't bother. And it wasn't like he was getting harden usage and needed that much of a rest. Australian instiute of sport players are all primadonnas lazy and weird is my opinion

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 31, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Larry Bird was a poor man's David Lee on his best day

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

21m a year for Victor Oladipo
That cat-like guy who misses layups?
What a world

If that's the "Should be good but isn't that good" sg price, I'm afraid KCP will be like 93m/4

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

KCP is getting very near the max in RFA if he actually seeks out an offer sheet. Might well be that Detroit has a handshake deal to pay him in RFA like they did with Drummond, but playing chicken with Brooklyn and Philadelphia has already cost the Spurs/Clippers/Blazers.

I assume so. The rfa max just means ' solid starter' money now, it's hard to get used to

Can we get 10 or so NBA players to fund a new version of slamball that's played until one team is dead due to traps and pitfalls on the court

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Well the Pelicans seem to have lost one of those slamball matches already.

drat and they even killed the former coach's wife

That's brutal

Maybe we should ban neo slam ball

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I have no earthly idea what Shabazz Muhammad's market value is. I'd totally offer him the QO and see what contract someone else gives him.

Dieng is a tough one. He is probably a (low-end) starting calibre center, which probably means RFA Max. I don't know if he is worth that to the Wolves. To me, he is a great candidate to trade to someone who wants to pay him that but doesn't have/want to use cap room to do it next year.

I don't know that you'd want to give up young pieces that help you win if you are the Wolves either. It's a tough situation.

It's such a loving bind for all these GMs. Trading nets you nothing of value, you either overpay or let them go for nothing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Gynecolojustice posted:

The knee is an ugly joint to look at

It's kind of like one of those crazy spaghetti freeway junctions in sunny los angeles california

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

If Evan believes it so do I!!! Let's go grant 👏👏👏

Its essentially a swap of a mediocre stretch 4 who can't defend or attack closeouts for an athletic dynamo of an SF who needs a jumper or to become a great defender to have value. I like the gamble

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I'm so happy D'antoni is back.

And speaking of things that make me happy, George Hill is my new favorite basketball player

If you go by identical body type (6'2 with 6'10 wingspan) and athleticism, Reggie Jackson and George Hill are the Goofus and Gallant of the NBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit's 2 weeks of Brandon Jennings without Josh Smith were even better than the Knicks 3 weeks of Linsanity but nobody knows about it because new york is a "major city" and the knicks have a "fan base"

• Locked thread