Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

But even better, I don't think you can compare players across eras. If you try to come up with some absolute scale you are ignoring rule changes (some, like the 3 point line, took generations for players to catch up to that skill), changes in medical technology, habits and trends. If you talk about subjective skill the answer is Wilt, or like, George Mikan.

I think its better to talk about the special players who dominated their respective eras (and sometimes there isn't one). Lebron is clearly that guy now, so I put him right alongside a very small group including Jordan and Wilt.

i actually agree that comparing players across eras is functionally useless.

my argument wasn't for a player to be the goat, just that lebron definitively is not the goat.

but yes, eras are important distinctions and comparing across them is tenuous at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

I don't know why you guys have such a hardon for Bogut- he played 20mpg last year. He wasn't that important a player for them. They took him out of games all the time if they thought they could get away with it.

Also Zaza moves the ball pretty well.

yeah i don't know about the statistical specifics or anything like that, but i do know that several people, myself included, immediately predicted the warriors would lose the finals the second he went down and we were all right. there's something the eye test says about bogut that i think helped define his unsung role as facilitator.

bogut was a tremendous defender, pick setter, and decent passer.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Tim Duncan is retired and that's a HUGE deal. He's the second most powerful defender in NBA history behind Bill Russell. Last year at the age of 39 he led the entire league with a DBPM of 5.0

The Spurs defense is looking weak. Their relative DRTG is -1.3 (the weakest since 1993). Duncan isn't around to rescue Popovich any longer.

yeah, losing duncan has been painful. he was the heart and soul of the most successful franchise in sports history. that the spurs are currently 2nd in the nba standings is amazing, but the way they're winning games only serves to illustrate the hole duncan left behind him.

but there is plenty of hope. for one, they're winning games, including several come from behind wins. and its super early in the season still. i think we just crossed the 25% line? the next forty games (double what we just played) will still be used for development and learning the system. the time to worry about the spurs is after the rodeo road trip.

maybe they'll be great! maybe they'll make an early exit in the playoffs! maybe they'll put up a surprisingly good fight or fold to the clippers/warriors! there's absolutely no telling as of now. its really hard to do, especially for a team as consistent as the spurs, but the fans just gotta go with the flow. and trust in pop.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

this is extremely my poo poo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

It's gonna be cool when Wall joins cousins in Sacramento. Sorry wiz fans

i've always heard rumblings about trying to get him down to san antonio.

i'm sure they were mostly wishful thinking, but we need a pg

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
so…clips warriors tonight

what does the thread think?

i was hoping the clips would kick the warriors' asses, especially the way they were playing in the beginning of the season. but now i'm seeing a warrior domination in the near future.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

McDermit is back, baby. Watch out, Spurs

he's exactly the sort of player to have a big night against the spurs

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Spurs bad.
If they were good they'd never lose a game

last night was like the culmination of all the things that are worrying about that team. it was painful to watch

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Ohhh Larry you lazy bum you good for nothin' never did anything in your life why don't you do something instead of sitting around being a lazy goof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kaRbokoo8
edit: cc's site sucks

make no mistake magic johnson, i will loving end you

lmao

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

And while Lebron's image got better in Miami over time, I don't think he flipped most everyone till he won in Cleveland which was a feel-good story.

i was a lebron hater and so was my girlfriend.

now we both think he's just fine.

the championship and the warriors hype has severely rehabbed his image

E2M2 posted:

It's cool when everyone piles on the Warriors every time they lose. But when they were playing like poo poo and still stomped the clippers y'all were nowhere you be found

lmao, i was right here. get this, sports fans don't like it when they're told to worship another team. other teams can begrudgingly earn the respect of sports fans, but it can't just be granted.

for instance, the lovable Tennessee bears knocked out my spurs from the playoffs several years ago and i said to myself, "hey this team has character and spirit. i like them"

as for the warriors, they're bitchmade and arrogant. people like to watch them lose. i hope they lose tonight and end up tied with the floundering spurs for 1st in the west

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 12, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
pretty decent ceremony for tim tonight

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i think i would be pretty surprised if the spurs lost the 2 seed.

i mean, i'm not trying to nut-hug my team, but they have the second best record in the league and are only getting better. there's a lot of talent on that team. they just had two "blowouts" without kawhi. things are starting to click.

the rockets are fun and good, but they're still 3 games back and seemingly much less consistent.

we'll see though, anything can happen.

bonus thought: i wouldn't be surprised if the spurs end up tied or even snag the 1st seed for a second. its only one game(1.5 actually). not that they'll actually hold it, but it could happen briefly. everyone sleeping on the spurs and they haven't even reached their final form

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EU5iHoN5tk

Check out this screen to send the game to overtime. It's amazing.

its plays like this that make me wonder about the new unspoken rule of never letting games be decided by free throws.

on the one hand its really cool that refs are letting teams play it out and make victory come at the hands of a successful shot,

on the other its getting really absurd to the point of ridiculous the amount of blatant illegal play that goes on during those last plays.

no one wants games won or lost at the line, but its equally frustrating to watch bullshit wrestling shenanigans every time.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

roundmidnight posted:

I don't understand why people think free throws are the worst thing ever at the end of games. It's a guy going to make a shot to make or win a game! Sure, he probably makes it more than he misses as an average NBA player but it's still a wildly stressful situation.

they come across as too subjective

ie, superstar drives the lane, gets the whistle, other team never stood a chance.

its cool that things are different now, but its leading to shitloads of unintended bullshit that just upset the losing team as much/more

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also is Pop not doing the obvious and putting Dewayne in for Pau because he's saving that lineup for the playoffs or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02gfX9HqVc

dedmon is a black hole on offense

sure he had some fun lobs earlier this year when no one knew he could do that, but nowadays he is virtually worthless. plus he's a foul magnet so he can only play so many minutes a game before he's tossed.

pau's been playing really well recently and will obviously be starting

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

God bless the grit n grind

amen

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boban is so great because he comes across as just such a genuinely good person

its like a real life movie where a friendly giant is discovered and brought into the league (natch)

i love that guy so much

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

This Spurs/Bucks game is awesome (especially if you like Michael Beasley). The Bucks are my bandwagon team for this season, they're so much fun.

beasley was a one man wrecking crew for the 3rd and half the 4th. it was drat frustrating to watch, but he did a great job.

the bucks just seem to give the spurs fits. they're long and athletic and do a good job protecting the paint and forcing the spurs into tons of jump shots that that extra length also bothers.

tough loss for the spurs, good job to the bucks. plenty of times they could have checked out and they were getting virtually no love from the refs. they hung in there and pulled out a solid win

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

this is amazing

simply amazing

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

just need to triple down on this real quick-like

lmao, solid post

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
oops i accidentally posted this in the game day thread but i meant to post it here

https://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/819758745991442432

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

2 dribbles from the opposite three point line to a dunk

ok

i don't want to be "that guy" but how is that not a travel? there's like 3-4 steps in there after the gather.

i think he's cool and his highlights are awesome, but it looked like a pretty naked travel to me.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i stick by my story on this one.

note: i think giannis is cool and good and i don't think everything he does is a travel. its just this one particular instance where he definitely takes 3-5 steps after gathering the ball into his hands. its just this one play, i still think he/it are cool.

edit: after a second look, its closer than i think, but i still think he's taking 3 steps. no i don't want them to waive off the dunk, i'm just pointing out that this particular incident is a travel

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 14, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
who was the superstar on the 2013 almost champs and 2014 championship spurs team?

37/38 year old duncan?

an even older ginobili?

tony parker at 20 and 16 ppg resepctively? 20/17 for the playoffs?

just wondering because it seems that those teams anomalously dodge the superstar question

of course you can always say "tim duncan" because he's the rock upon which that church was built, but he wasn't exactly a superstar by that time.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

first of all, i can't believe that's real

second, i can't believe he made that!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lmao

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They want to steal his cocaine mountain.

:stare: …go on

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He has a cocaine mountain and a hooker factory in his back yard.

They're how he fuels his 24/7/365 trolling jihad.

my god. the legendary el dorado exists!?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I feel like, going outdoors in Denver this time of year is a bad idea, but I haven't looked at the map or anything.

NBA Numbers people, can you tell me what you think of this: https://twitter.com/NBA_Math

The Anti-D'Angelo Lakers Fan Bloc is really going after it.

denver has very mild winters. there's only snow on the ground 2-3weeks TOPS all winter.

its kinda cold this week, but its one of the few. maybe it dusted a little yesterday or maybe the day before? but it didn't stick or anything.

don't know why no one wanted to watch the jazz game. denver's more of a hockey/football town anyway.

cravius posted:

Based on media all star voting returns, is Westbrook the frontrunner right now?

kawhi creeping into that conversation

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

It's a high of 30 in Denver today the gently caress you say about it being kinda cold

cold doesn't feel as cold here because there's less air

it really just comes down to if the suns out or not

even then, less air means less contact with cold air means doesn't feel as cold

edit: think of it as the opposite of "wind-chill"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

udonis haslem is legit. that guy always seemed to take care of business.

that's all.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Everyone who has played with Dwight loves him
http://streamable.com/hcjjd

that's a hell of a pick

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bauiIhqND-E

Basketball ad chat comes up every now and then in here but somehow I had never seen this one before and it owns.

that's magical

the 90s were a strange time

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

I think the answers to both of those things are obvious to anyone who watches the Thunder this season, which is an issue with that post. The team is very effective in transition, and a dumpster fire in the half court due to the complete lack of shooting. Their transition scoring is not due to Kanter and Adams lobbing elite outlet passes. It's Westbrook snagging the board and taking off like he's launched out of a cannon.

On defense, the argument hinges on contest %, which is dumb. Roberson typically covers the primary scoring threat on the perimeter. Donovan attempts to hide Russ on defense so he can save energy to do literally everything on offense, that's the game plan. He does take plays off, like every superstar. But the perimeter defense is better with him on the floor than not, so he's not hurting them.

Aside from the flaws in the actual stats being employed, the problem with the argument the post is making is its based on the false pretense that there's a hypothetical improvement to be found in a hypothetical alternate set of numbers, one more ideal than the arrangement being represented in the actual existing evidence. That's very obviously not the case to anyone who actually watches the product the Thunder put on the floor night to night, but it's also an idiotic way (and clearly biased) to do analysis. It starts from the conclusion that Russell Westbrook is a fraud and then works backward to validate itself.

The Thunder aren't very good because their spacing is poo poo (because most of the team can't shoot), their bench is poo poo, there are more bad defenders than good ones, and the team as a whole is extremely young and inconsistent. The conclusion any thinking person should arrive at in trying to pinpoint a problem is not that Russell Westbrook is hurting the team's chance at success because his rebounding his suboptimal.

this is a pretty solid post.

being a spurs fan i hear a lot of trash talk about westbrook and its easy to just give in and say "yeah, he's a fraud"

but i definitely recognize that he doesn't have the pieces around him to do anything other than hero ball so that's not really the best way to measure his talent.

i guess the question is, how would he play differently if he did have so better pieces around him?

well, 5 years ago he, harden, durant, and ibaka fought their way out of the west and made it to the finals. that's pretty impressive. but they've been unable to successfully reproduce that in any meaningful way other than what, the wcf last year? i could be wrong, i just really don't remember. i know they had some injury years in there and lost harden.

but russ did have durant up until this year and people still criticized his ball dominant usage and reckless tendencies. when he's on he's unstoppable but he hasn't always been on. having two top 5 players on the same team is often more than enough to have serious success, yet it seems to have eluded the thunder.

so i guess the question is, sure russ is a phenomenal talent, but does that talent and type of ball lend itself to anything other than tremendous individual success? does having russ on your team seriously improve your chances of winning a 'chip over any other elite point guard? i'd say the jury's still out. he phenomenal, he's really fun to watch, and his loyalty to the thunder has done wonders for his rep. but is he a potential champion, or just another barkley?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Barkley went to the finals too and Chris Paul has never been to a conference final. Wilt Chamberlain didn't win a title until he was in his thirties. You wasted a part of your life you will never recover typing a giant "does russel Westbrook know the SECRET??"

eh, i don't think its wasted.

i think there's a difference between "puts up a lot of impressive stats" and "can lead a team to meaningful success"

i literally don't know which russell westbrook is. i can see why there's a debate, i don't know the answer

jesus, russ really does drive people crazy.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

Since the finals in 2012, Westbrook and the Thunder have had exactly one season where there wasn't a major or season-ending injury at a critical time, and they were that close to going back to the Finals.

Come on, man.

Mandrel posted:

It's wasted

cool man. sounds like they had a lot of success when MVP kevin durant was on the team. we'll see if russ can ever lead the thunder back to those heights. i'm not a russ hater, i just don't think his game is singularly impressive. his usage is through the roof and his efficiency is way down. last i heard he was shooting like under 40%. so like, i get that his team is crap and he sort of has to do everything, on the other hand i feel like if you give the ball to a talented, super-athletic guy and say "do literally whatever you want" then he'll do some cool poo poo. i don't think 29-22 is that impressive, nor do i see them making any sort of waves in the playoffs. i don't think he should win mvp. i think he's a great player, i respect his freakish athleticism, indomitable will, and talent, but i don't think he's as good as everyone says. namely, i wouldn't want him on my team, even though he's considerably "better" than our starting point guard. efficiency, good decision making, and solid 2-way performance are things that he seems to lack, and many people see those as important skills.

i don't see why its always "absolute love" or "hate" with russ. the guy is amazing and flawed all at once.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Soviet Space Dog posted:

the thunder is currently competing with the clippers/jazz/grizzlies for 4th seed instead of competing with brooklyn for the lottery

yeah, its a nice little race for the 7-4 spot. granted all of those teams (except maybe the grizz) have had some pretty serious injury issues so we'll see how it pans out as the season continues.

i expect the thunder to be a playoff team. i think 6-7 is perfectly reasonable for them. they have russ, they have adams, oladipo, and had canter. those are some decent pieces and russ is a top talent.

but i think if the clippers and jazz had stayed healthier there'd be more separation. of course, it is what it is, and power to the thunder for playing as well as they are.

we'll see how it goes. still 30+ games to play. we're already seeing the rockets sorta run outta steam, we'll se what happens with everyone else.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
injury update on green:

just a contusion, X-rays negative. return: questionable. potential mri pending

edit: he's back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009