Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I don't understand why people think free throws are the worst thing ever at the end of games. It's a guy going to make a shot to make or win a game! Sure, he probably makes it more than he misses as an average NBA player but it's still a wildly stressful situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
RIP Derrick Rose: Tried to spike a drink, accidentally spiked his own.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Carmelo just got ejected, no doubt to join the search for his friend Derrick Rose

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

So uh I was reading this little update http://www.bet.com/news/sports/2017/01/10/update-on-j-r--smith-s-newborn-daughter.html and I don't know if anyone wants this information, but like all good sons I was talking with my mom about JR Smith and his newborn (Mom's an OB/GYN) and it really sounds like JR's daughter's going to die there in the hospital.

His daughter was born at 21 weeks--past 24 is usually the cusp for survivability, and after 28 weeks they have a decent chance of living without severe disabilities. 38 is term and past 42 is overdue. 21 is about as close to a miscarriage as you can get.

Man. If his daughter survives, she will literally be one of the most premature babies to do so in medical history.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Any team with Spencer Hawes on it loses so I'm gonna call this a win for Charlotte

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I disagree because Charlotte is getting a Plumlee

That makes it a win for Milwaukee

Spencer Hawes is the alt-right Plumlee

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I am extremely curious about this fit, though. Cousins is not a great rim protector nor can he really guard the perimeter so Davis is still going to have to do the lion's share of the defensive work. On the other end, sure, they both shoot threes (at an okay-ish clip) but I still think this clogs up the lane quite a bit.

Obviously the talent will supersede a lot of this, but it's gonna be fun to watch.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Jota posted:

So the Kings obviously have no chance of catching Brooklyn, but they are currently 6 games ahead of Phoenix, who has the second worst record in the league. And they are 5.5 games better than the Lakers. Anyone think those teams won't end the season with a better record than the Kings?

It's pick swapped with Philly anyway, so they're out of the top 3 regardless.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like the Raps could have a put a package together featuring JV that would be better than what the Kings got. Dadgummit.

JV is super low upside and a known quantity and they have no picks that could even approach the teens/lottery. Norman Powell/Poeltl/Wright would probably all have to be included and that guts your depth.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Are they going to let Tyreke try to win games on his own or what?

Nah, they should buy him out and let the Raptors pick him up for wing depth.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
why would you ever admit you were too dumb to take a better offer two days before you made a deal

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

Ibaka is a rental. Cousins has a whole year after this season which is a huge difference.

Ibaka isn't a rental, Ujiri wants to re-sign him assuming the Raptors don't flame out in the first round (and even then).

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
It was the best ASW only because it happened in New Orleans due to the NBA being a cool as hell league.

(yes it was very bad)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

Predictions for how badly they loving wreck the Rockets defense on Thursday? 30 points apiece perhaps?

Yes, and still lose by 22

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Jaylen Brown, James Young and salary chaff?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Honestly, they could probably swing deals for Carmelo AND Butler, if they so desired.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
All the best NBA Twitter nights start with just one emoji.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Time posted:

1000% agreed

Chris Paul is 31 and about to get the Godzilla Max. That would make me a little nervous as a clippers fan but if there is any player in the league who I think will fully transition to hyper-effective old man game, it's him

Meh. He'll get the money he wants and then if things fall apart he'll agitate for a trade. That was probably what Cousins was trying to do in Sacramento.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Time to trade literally every young piece they have for, say, Paul Millsap

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

Have any of magics real estate redevelopment projects actually worked out.

The man literally built a giant financial empire when NBA salaries were a fraction of what they are now. A lot of his projects are dedicated to the needs of underserved communities rather than strictly financial decisions.

(He's still going to be a terrible GM)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The real story here is that the Kings only had to wait ONE MORE DAY to get the farm from the Lakers for DeMarcus Cousins.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Knicks and Lakers both being completely dysfunctional dens of nepotism at the same time is too pure for this world.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Raptors would not do that deal. Sure, the Raptors have rebounding issues but Drummond still sucks on defense and Valanciunas is merely "meh" and is much better offensively.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What's fair value for Lillard?

As a Blazers fan I would probably want Okafor, TJ, the LAL pick, and the SAC pick. Noel doesn't make sense since he's about to get paid and overlaps in skillset with Nurkic. Simmons would be amazing but Philly isn't going to let him go I don't think.

I think that is wildly overvaluing a PG who isn't a great passer, has a sub-45 FG%, isn't a great 3-point shooter, and plays no defense.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Huh, I could have sworn Lillard was a much better 3 point shooter than he actually is

He just takes a million of them, nails a few really tough ones, and they look really cool when they go in.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Take it from a Raptors fan: Lou Williams 100% sucks in the playoffs/any high-pressure situation because he is utterly predictable and refs won't fall for his flailing garbage moves.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Haha that dang dude rules. I seriously can't think of a bigger heel-face turn than the Lakers guy when he kept rooting for stupid poo poo teams with the same rear end in a top hat overconfidence he had for Kobe Lakers. Like watching Vader throw Palpatine into the void. Like if the Yankees_fans.gif kept going and a runaway bus pulled into the shot and they all leap't onto the field like synchronized divers to save a litter of kittens and a line of baby ducks from the tires

You really don't expect those dudes to stick around holding up aggressive signs when the team is 20 games below .500 with Nick Young as their go-to-dude but there he was

go LLLLlllLLlLllllLLLakers I'm the worst Knicks fan ever I kinda like the Celtics and the Lakers and the Bulls

Honestly, it's made me like Lakers Guy. Dude is obviously a terrible rich douche but he's not a front-running terrible rich douche who loses interest in the team the second they're not making the Finals every year!

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Ingram is also the only member of the Lakers core that has star potential. You've got to hold on to him and let him play through it.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

pubic works project posted:

Lmao I love how Ainge isn't willing to part with Jae Crowder for a player like Butler or PG. Yeah sure dude, let me trade you our best player for trash.

Jae Crowder might have the best contract in the league, and is the ideal 3 & D guy whose value in the modern NBA is like $15-18m/year. He's smart!

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Would you give up Jaylen Brown and the two Nets' picks for Paul George?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-pacers-assessing-trade-market-for-paul-george-180740295.html

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

I do Jaylen Brown, 1 Nets pick

If I'm the Celtics, me too, but if I'm the Pacers I demand both and see if they wilt (and if I'm the Celtics I do it eventually. You're cashing in on hope, and if you wait until the draft when the pick turns out to be No. 2 or 3, you've lost a huge amount of leverage. I sell the unknown for the known).

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Just wait until the playoffs, Lou Williams truthers.

If Lou Williams shoots above 35% from 3 or 40% overall in this year's playoffs I will donate $20 to the next poster's choice of charity.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Excellent!

(i really want an nba charity bet thread now)

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2017

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Can't wait for Simmons' Cousins Ewing Theory column.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I guess I've never seen that before and hadn't even considered that could happen.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

NeuroticErotica posted:

Clippers do it a lot and not in tight situations... It was always thought to be a Del Negro move, but turns out it's a Chris Paul move. Does it as much under Doc.

Oh, I just meant run the clock out strategically more than a couple of seconds before picking it up, like roll it at an almost zero-speed rather than rolling it quickly across the floor to get a few extra seconds in tight situations.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's the proto Dwight

Dwight is irritating but he's not a bully or mean, he just wants to be liked.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Using your national platform as an opportunity to continually pursue stupid grudges is also unprofessional as hell, even if the TNT guys are hired for their personalities/quirks.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
is rosé back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Although that wasn't nearly on the same scale as Bynum-Barea some weak-minded dude is absolutely gonna attack IT come the post-season.

It's not DeMarre Carroll's fault that Isaiah Thomas is 5'2 115lb and can be bowled over with a small push.

• Locked thread