Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
When will whoever it was that ran the preseason survey (sorry, can't remember which wonderful poster it was) release the results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Anyone else feel like all the insatiable Towns hype means Anthony Davis is being hugely overlooked? Sure KAT put up one of the best ever rookie seasons, but Davis' 14/15 regular season was HOF caliber - not just awesome for a young guy, but awesome for anyone, ever. If he stays healthy for 70+ plus games (lol) then surely the Pelicans will be at least the eight seed. It's just really hard to lose a lot of games when you have one of the best seven or eight guys in the league starting for you, regardless of how garbage the surrounding cast is. Look at how Houston were a total shitshow last year but still won 41 games and took the eight seed purely because they have Harden.

This time last year people were talking up New Orleans as a possible four or five seed, Davis as an outside MVP candidate and how he's going to win multiple MVPs and be the face of the league for the next decade. And now it's like he's all of a sudden an afterthought.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Yesssss BT Sport here in the UK are replaying game 7 of the finals before tip off tonight.

GSW currently up 21-18 in the first quarter, Draymond with a nice driving layup. Will let you all know how it turns out.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Wait, Giannis had 31/9/5 tonight? Why has no-one alerted the thread this?

brb watching highlights on league pass

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jota posted:

He looked so good at things that he could obviously just drill over and over. You could tell that he didn't have a very great feel for things you are going to pick up from just playing 5 on 5 games, like feeling the double coming and passing out of it or how the defense rotates, but he seems like he learns incredibly quickly. His timing for blocking shots looked good though and so did his footwork. A lot to be insanely excited about.

I love that he has a nice shot too. I guess that happens when it's about all you can do for two years.

He gives me hope that if I only I could practice my post moves against 5'9" white guys six hours a day everyday for two years, maybe I too could be a NBA player.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

At least half the time illegal screens are called it's the guard's fault anyway for making the cut before the screener is set.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Philly is definitely going to get something of value for Noel in February, unless his surgery rehab goes seriously wrong and he isn't healthy.

Okafor would have teams interested in him for sure but unless someone offers a high lottery pick there's really no point in Philly moving him yet, he could still be really good.

If Philly took Porzingis instead of Okafor in 2015 draft then Hinke probably still has his job.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

Unless you are banking on Simmons being a top 5 player, which is possible, but counting on it seems silly.

Uhh... isn't that exactly the idea? Get lottery picks, draft well and hopefully one of them is a franchise piece to build around?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

dokmo posted:

Who would have thought a non rim protecting midrange shooting PF would turn out to be useless.

But enough about the Spurs signing Pau...

Henchman of Santa posted:

You have to 5 reps for every team Ish Smith has played on as punishment for journeyman misidentification.

I'd have thought NBA posters would be anti capital punishment.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Uh why was Faried guarding Lilard

It came in transition off a rebound at the other end and when they saw Farieed picked up Lillard they iso'd up top and didn't give the defense a chance to switch it.

I guess it's possible that it was a deliberate strategy from Malone rather than have Emmanuel 'The Revolving Door' Mudiay pick him up on the game deciding possession.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 30, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Having a discussion with someone who said Rubio isn't a top 10 PG. A defensible position I guess though I disagree, but then he named Jrue Holiday, old man Tony Parker and Rondo as players all better than him.

Help me SAS, you're my only hope.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

He'd made 12 threes in his first 571 games, six makes in the last three games.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Sharparoni posted:

Sorry, no, this is the NBA thread: No Bjokes Allowed.

I used to think Jokic's name was pronounced jock itch and I feel bad about that and hope he makes 3rd team All-NBA this season.

You are correct, just with an open J at the start rather than a hard one. It should be pronounced Yok-itch (with a short hard 'o' sound), but he's probably gotten used to it being Americanised with a long vowel sound. Novak Djokovic has long given up trying to correct US commentators on pronouncing his name correctly.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 31, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I think in years down the line Lebron going to Miami will be seen as the start of new era basketball. The Celtics and Lakers champions 2008-10 feel closer in spirit to the 90s blueprint than they do to basketball in 2016*. LeBron's Miami team and the Spurs around the same time kickstarted the trend to a motion based, 4 out offense paired with high intensity defence and switching that dominates league thinking now. Of course the Suns were playing that way on offense in like 2005, but I feel it was that 11/12 Miami team that truly mainstreamed it and started people copying it rather than just writing off the Nash Suns as an anomaly you couldn't replicate.

* that's probably not analytically true as I'm sure someone will prove shortly, but it feels that way to me, whatever that's worth.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 31, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

$21m a year for Oladipo is just the Thunder's strategy to make $17m a year for Kanter seem reasonable.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

So the Thunder's locked up core is: Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, Kanter? That, uh, doesn't seem like a contender

Plus Payne, Huestis and Sabonis on rookie contracts and Alex Abrines. Kanter though will probably opt out in summer 2018 as some team will pay him max/near-max to be their starter.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Goddamn Spurs will win 55 games forever

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Even if the Knicks renounce everyone in the summer they still won't have enough room to sign a max player unless they trade one of Melo or Noah. Their best shot could be something like a sign and trade with the Clippers for Blake with Melo going the other way. But how they hell they'd be able to convince Blake to come I have no idea.

VVV The new contract for Dieng means the TWolves won't have room for a max player either unless they can trade both Rubio and Pekovic.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

MourningView posted:

His anti-NFL deal is like 100% rooted in him being pissy about deflategate though, it doesn't feel like any sort of genuine moral concern for player safety or with domestic violence. He didn't start going after the league or Goodell until after Brady got suspended, and then turned it up after said criticism got him in trouble at ESPN. Like he isn't wrong about the league being lovely but it's more an example of him being super duper petty than him being some sort of crusader for justice

I think he was low key anti-Goodell for a while (like anyone sensible) but it was the whole Ray Rice thing that really amped it up for him and got him suspended at ESPN. That was before Deflategate.

For what it's worth I find Simmons interesting to listen to depending on the guest. He's a good interviewer if given someone interesting to talk to, I have no interest in listening to him being uninformed on sports with his friends.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Warriors need rebounding you say....

Klay for Kevin Love, who says no?

GSW says no. They wouldn't want to destroy Curry's confidence by have him be dominated in 1on1s in practice everyday.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

What makes you say that Noel for Joseph thing is fake? It is known that Toronto has interest in Noel, that's been reported by several different guys over the last couple of months. It makes sense for Toronto to trade for him mid season too, since with Lowry opting out and certain to get the max and Pattterson and Sullinger both UFAs the only way they are going to be able to add bigman depth is if they're on the team and can be resigned. They won't be signing anyone in FA outside the midlevel.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

OKC strategy - get a bunch of guys from losing teams who are so glad to win every now and then that they don't mind Russ shooting 65 times a game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I put Kemba Walker down as the most underrated player in the pre-season poll. He is really good but unless Charlotte makes the second round no-one will ever know because who cares about Charlotte.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Dirk is still out and the Mavs got killed by the Young Dirk aka King Zing aka Porzingod. :negative: 2016-17 Mavs

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/798354865852477444

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/798372811467329538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Maverick Carter got Lebron the cameo in Trainwreck so he's alright by me.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

The d league should be renamed the pgs who can't shoot threes, wings who either can shoot and cant dribble or can dribble but can't shoot league, the hustling athletic 6'8-10 bigs who can't shoot who have no idea what's going on on any defensive possession league.
Or the tweener who's so tweener that he's tween other tweeners league
Probably be too long to fit all of that on a logo, so I say they should stick with D-League for now though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Here are some twitter gifs/vines that people in this thread will like watching

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/799070577986256897?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/JohnnyNBA/status/799058692155052032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/799080951586426880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Thibs playing Wiggins and KAT 38 minutes each in a game they led by 25+ points for the whole second half.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

When I commented yesterday on thibs, I was talking about him playing his starters heavy minutes in blowouts

If you need 40 minutes to win a single game fine, but when you're up by 30-40 most of the time, I think that's time better spent working in the bench for experience

Yeah that was my (admittedly somewhat flippant) point in posting it. 38 mins a game is fine, but playing that many in a huge blowout seemed a bit odd.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Sixers 4-10, last season they didn't get their fourth win until January 4 to go 4-33.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Metapod posted:

Catch phrases are cool and good

Posting and Toasting
Dishing and Swishing
Bounding and Astounding
Swooping and Hooping
Percolating, Devastating

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Timberwolves are a good bad team.

Grizzlies are a bad good team.

Which one is the Thunder?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

these must be western conference fans because there's literally no point to the eastern conference playoffs until lebron retires

You say that, but if Lebron were to get injured (humour me here) then Toronto, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte could all win a series against the Cavs and it'd be a real dogfight to get to the finals for the honour to be dismantled by the Warriors in 5. It's hard to win a championship and it often has a lot of luck involved even if you are a really really good team, so if you have even a slim shot you have to be ready to take it when it arrives.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

nachos posted:

Lebron's the GOAT and Jordan will be remembered more as meme than basketball player hail satan

After the Mavs game, a reporter asked Lebron about him making so many assists this season (9.5 per game) and he casually mentioned that he knows how every player on the team likes the seams of the basketball in their hand before they shoot so he makes sure when passing he has the ball in the correct position and puts the correct spin on the ball so the player doesn't have to adjust it when they catch. Who the hell even thinks about this and then has the skill to actually go out and do it? :psyduck:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

All time draft, no knowledge of post-draft career

1. David Robinson
2. Shaq
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Dion Waiters (the Cavs picked 5th)

1. Lew Alcindor

If they have to change the rules to try and stop you, and you still totally dominate, then you're pretty good.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Libertine posted:

Does Giannis have outside shooting? I know he's crazy this year but I don't really see the Dirk comp.

Not really, but if he ever develops a good jumper you may as well put him in the hall right now.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Vucevic should be in the Also category, if not the don't look at this one. He is an offense only center that is below average on offense. He only has decent counting stats because he gets an inexplicably high number of minutes either because Orlando is showcasing him for a midseason trade, or Vogel is dumber than we thought.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The Knicks are fighting for the 6-8th seed, if they didn't have Melo they are no way a playoff team. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is debatable I guess, but for now I'd have thought that New York fans would just be happy to have a team that will win some games this year.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Lillard wears #0 because he says it's the number of players on the other team that can guard him.

Same reason Kyle Singler wears #15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

That's called a Grizz Oop

• Locked thread